The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 22, 2017, 01:56:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Character Development Game  (Read 12159 times)
Joseph Whitehartt
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Youngest Professor of the Royal Physics Academy

amazingtoast
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2011, 03:42:43 am »

I'm assuming we are following with the last question asked so...

As a physicist, I use a Coilgun revolver as my primary weapon, an extremely bulky, but rather lightweight weapon, as it is largely made of aluminium, around the size of a Smith and Wesson model 500, the chambers instead hold electrical condensers and shoots a tungsten projectile the size of a rimfire round at hypersonic velocities, with mobile parts to reduce recoil, it is capable of downing a charging Elephant with minimal kickback, or a thief on the streets of the sky city Prometheus, when not in use, the condensers recharge from the onboard electrical cell, allowing for around 30 shots at full power, this in turn, charges from a belt battery when in the holster.
For close quarters I use a clockwork wrist blade I built into my wrist device.
The gun... I actually have plans for somewhere, as a proof of concept, I don't have the materials for that kind of thing.
I spend way too much time working on things

So my question...
What is the one thing your persona wouldn't leave the house without?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 03:46:28 am by Joseph Whitehartt » Logged
JakeStanford
Deck Hand
United States United States

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2011, 04:15:19 am »

Oh, sorry, where do you live? A house? An airship? The streets?

Please stop calling me a pirate.... I raid pirates.... and anyone else who goes onto my "I don't like you" list....
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2011, 06:00:13 am »

I'm assuming we are following with the last question asked so...

As a physicist, I use a Coilgun revolver as my primary weapon, an extremely bulky, but rather lightweight weapon, as it is largely made of aluminium, around the size of a Smith and Wesson model 500, the chambers instead hold electrical condensers and shoots a tungsten projectile the size of a rimfire round at hypersonic velocities, with mobile parts to reduce recoil, it is capable of downing a charging Elephant with minimal kickback, or a thief on the streets of the sky city Prometheus, when not in use, the condensers recharge from the onboard electrical cell, allowing for around 30 shots at full power, this in turn, charges from a belt battery when in the holster.
For close quarters I use a clockwork wrist blade I built into my wrist device.
The gun... I actually have plans for somewhere, as a proof of concept, I don't have the materials for that kind of thing.
I spend way too much time working on things

So my question...
What is the one thing your persona wouldn't leave the house without?

Blowgun and darts..

National affiliation?

Madd is aligned as a Confederate in exile.

What do we want? Decapitations!
Lukas Kelly
Deck Hand

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2011, 06:08:48 am »

Nations? He sees nations as petty. He holds no allegiance to any flag, and can't imagine why anyone else would feel such nationalism or patriotism. He does, though, have a particular liking towards Ireland, though more of the land than the government.
MsKim
Snr. Officer

thepeachmartini
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2011, 02:14:39 am »

I'm assuming we are following with the last question asked...

So my question...What is the one thing your persona wouldn't leave the house without?

Amelia Featherstone never leaves home without a small crossbow, hidden discreetly under the many layers of her skirt.

Does your character live in a world with supernatural acquaintances, or are the 'baddies' merely every-day villains?

~Miss Amelia Featherstone~
Adventurer and Tinkerer
NW Indiana
"Why Kate, you're not wearing a bustle. How lewd." ~Doc Holliday, Tombstone
Redwrench
Deck Hand

« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2011, 02:23:42 am »

Amelia Featherstone never leaves home without a small crossbow, hidden discreetly under the many layers of her skirt.

Does your character live in a world with supernatural acquaintances, or are the 'baddies' merely every-day villains?

"Hmm, do not all worlds have supernatural acquaintances of one form or another?" ~ Engineer Redwrench.

What type of vehicle would your character prefer to ride in?
toxickun
Officer

« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2011, 09:22:29 am »

A steam driven Ford Model T car. or for long trips A Messerschmitt Me 264 plane :3
(had a vision of an airship and it shall be built in an rp somewhere where i roleplay in :<)

my question: whats ur main type of weapon.

...wth is a signature ._.
[sorry for my fail in grammar]
Redwrench
Deck Hand

« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2011, 11:54:36 am »

A steam driven Ford Model T car. or for long trips A Messerschmitt Me 264 plane :3
(had a vision of an airship and it shall be built in an rp somewhere where i roleplay in :<)

my question: whats ur main type of weapon.

"Ahh, now that is a tough question indeed... I am stuck between my Henry Wilkinson... mmh, my Henry Wilkinson.... *pulls it out of its scabbard lovingly, pulling out an oil cloth and rubs it slowly down the blade*... *cough* Oh, deary me, sorry about that! I do think that answers your question!" ~ Engineer Redwrench

What type of hat does your character sport?
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2011, 05:45:02 pm »

Oh, sorry, where do you live? A house? An airship? The streets?

A German Castle rebuilt in the Amazon Jungle.
toxickun
Officer

« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2011, 07:59:01 pm »

my good man u forgot to add a question .x.
thus i shall add it for you.
if u had to pick between gears or steam which will it be?
Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2011, 08:14:01 pm »

That would be a difficult choice, but I think Arletta would choose steam because as a small town girl, who is new to the big city she is pretty overwhelmed by the steam train she arrived in and the steam car her father has just brought.

What is your characters greatest achievement?

cemeteryresearcher.com

'a lighthearted academic blog about funerary practice' - Updates Sundays*

*gremlins permitting
Captain Morgan Arkwright
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2011, 09:50:04 pm »

Captain Morgan's greatest achievement? A question indeed.

But it must be the tale of the most daring escapade the British Empire has found, fell folly to and failed to find the furiously fickle fiend who did indeed orchestrate this most shameful event.

The tale begins with a brief prelude, one must understand that as a vagabond of the skies one makes little friendship and treasures it where it is found. One such friend of Morgan is that of Captain Archer Longbarrow, a brother in arms and a dab hand in any tricky situation that Morgan has found himself in and has, without exception, come to the rescue in nothing other but the nick of time.

So you can imagine the commotion on the ship when the news reached his ears that such a dear friend had been captured by Admiral Horatio Pontoon of the Imperial Air Force and awaited the floating gallows at dawn the next day.

Skipping the planning, the rabid scratching of brows and the anything but helpful interruptions of Roger the cabin boy, a plan was formed. This plan would be none other than the devious plan mentioned earlier and was executed without flaw.

And so it conspired that, disguised as a royal of the nation; one William Winterbourne, Captain Morgan attended the hanging of Archer Longbarrow. But it was not to be, as each member of the crowd came up to the gallows to meet the condemned man and to whisper a curse, a promise or straight abuse into his ear, the Captain slipped his knife from inside the velvet folds of his coat.

As the Captain reached the gallows which were hanging over the side of the great airship, the Arkham Royal, he caught his friend's eye which suddenly began to sparkle with delight as Morgan Arkwright proceeded to slash his rope with one swipe of the vorpal blade. Morgan did nothing to stop the man from dropping over the side of the ship, certainly to his death. It was at the point the assembled nobles exploded into a righteous finger pointing at the figure silhouetted at the gallows as the guards quickly assembled, sabers at hand.

With a mere tip of his hat to the Admiral, Captain Morgan Arkwright dived off from the side of the ship. Rushing to the side of the ship to view the seemingly suicidal demise of the crook that had robbed them of a grand spectacle, the assembled crowd were knocked back suddenly by the rise of the Captain's ship, both of friends stood at the helm, laughing at the shocked and appalled faces of the audience of their daring escapade.

In shock, the Admiral ordered the immediate chase of the pirate vessel, but by the time the boilers built enough pressure to even make a pretense of giving chase, the ship was long gone into the clouds. Never has such a tarnish been smeared onto the reputation of the Imperial Air Force and never has a more daring act been committed by a pirate of the Imperial skies.

Apologies for the long comment, got a bit carried away by the story.  Wink

Anyhow, what is your character's chosen genre of literature?

Regards,
Captain Morgan Arkwright.
Puck
Gunner

Lord, what fools these mortals be!

« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2011, 12:22:21 am »

[MESSAGE TO EVERYONE PLAYING: To avoid confusion, please answer the last question asked, not any of the ones before it. Should someone forget to put a question (which happens a lot) you are permitted to answer the previous question]

Theodore: I suppose I enjoy mystery and fantasy. I like to pretend that I am encompassed in these exciting, swashbuckling worlds to pass the time. It can be very boring inside the Robur at times. I can't always rely on my birds to busy myself.

-

What would your character consider to be their most traumatic experience?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 12:29:07 am by Puck » Logged

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
~ Oscar Wilde
Lothar Erfinder
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2011, 01:44:56 am »

Ever, or just today?

As a very young man, I lived in a squalid student's apartnent on the south side of the city, across the canal. The bathroom was the oldest part of the appartment- I think it was from the fifties- and the pipes rattled in the winter. Once, in mid-January, I woke up in the middle of the night to the sound of a pipe bursting. I got out of bed, threw on yesterday's pants, and went to investigate. The old, claw-footed tub was full of water and overflowing, and the tap was gushing out more of the stuff. My bath mat squelched under my bare feet as I moved over to the tub, and the grimy tile was dangerously slippery.

I tried to turn the tap off, but it was already screwed all the way over to the right; something must have been broken inside. I couldn't see the pipe I had heard bursting, so I figured it must have been behind the wall by the tub, conected somehow to the tap. I don't know, I wasn't a plumber. But what I couldn't figure out was why the pipe had burst. It wasn't like it could have frozen- the appartment got cold, but not that cold- but for the life of me I didn't know what had happened.

Anyway, I figured there were at least even odds that there would be some sort of valve back there behind the wall that I could turn off. Like I said, I wasn't a plumber. But I went and I got an iron crowbar, and I started to hack at the wall over the tap that was still pouring water into the tub. I figured it was the landlord's fault for not replacing the fifties bathroom, so he couldn't blame me for wrecking the wall. At one point I actually got into the tub to get a better angle on the hole I was making. I’d already pulled the old rubber plug, and the water wasn’t overflowing anymore. It only came up to my knees, and I figured I was safe enough. From that new angle, the hole grew wider pretty quickly. The wall was pretty wet by that point, and came apart pretty easily.

I never found any sort of shut off valve, but I did find the broken pipe. There was this knotted clump of something dark and wiry caught on the jagged end of the pipe, water gushing past it. I leaned in close to try and pull it loose. It was hair. Just this tangled clump of human hair. When I pulled it loose, I saw there was still some scalp attached. I dropped it when I saw, and it swirled around my ankles in the tub before getting sucked down the drain behind me. The air suddenly seemed to smell bad, like old lead pipes and something worse. That was when it leaped out of the jagged hole in the wall and straight for my face. I didn’t know what it was, something like a frog and a fish, maybe an eel. I pried it off my face and threw it at the wall, but it bounced with a wet sound and leaped again. I batted it out of the air with the iron crowbar, and then kept hitting it until it didn’t move anymore.

I still don’t know what was getting into my old lead pipes in the winters, when the canal got too cold. Some sort of water spirit or sprite: naiad, selkie, kelpie, whatever. I moved out of that apartment and onto a friends couch that week. I couldn’t stay in the same room after that first brush with the Fae.

How is your relationship with your family?
MsKim
Snr. Officer

thepeachmartini
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2011, 01:17:12 pm »

Amelia's Mama and Papa passed away when she was quite young; she was raised by the maid/maid's family, and taken under the wing of the maid's niece, Hester - older, more adventurous, and into mischief quite often! Miss Amelia does not have any siblings that she is aware of, though her parents' past is not completely known to her.

(I always reply before I think of a new question!!)

What made you choose the lifestyle you lead? (For example, if you're the type who pillages and plunders in a pirate-like fashion, how did you come to that? If you're a vigilante sort, defending those who cannot defend themselves, how did you happen upon that?)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 01:22:15 pm by MsKim » Logged
Prof. Michael Masters
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

Aether Academy Labs: Mad Science For the Masses

« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2011, 09:13:01 pm »

Well It wasn't Hard to go down the path of SCIENCE! When You start to bend/break the very laws of the cosmos as young as I did becoming a Man of Science really became the only natural option. That eventually lead to my current placement as Dean of My very own Academy of "Mad" Science. Oh.. We also have courses for those of you who are minions at heart.

Hmm. Next Question!

What is your Favorite Game!
  Personally, mine is mouse-trap. Sometime I even let the little buggers go free so that I can trap them again! What Fun!

From the Desk of:

Professor Michael Masters
Aether Academy Headmaster
Miss Ardith Algor
Gunner

« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2011, 10:59:48 am »

Noah would never tell the Doctor, especially not after he had been taken in and taught how to be a gentleman of high society. But the hours of chess every evening were not as enjoyable as they would be to one who had been raised as nobility. No, what Noah enjoyed most of all was a game that had been played on the Lower Walk when the pathways had been close enough to easily swing from level to level. A point - usually Miss Ardith's Book Emporium - would be chosen as start, and the person to reach the end - the airship docks at the top of the City in general - first won a small treat bought by his or her competitors. When Miss Ardith had first learned of the children's escapades, she had laughed, and called it "free running".

What is your character's physical description?

to boldly write what no one has written before
Captain Morgan Arkwright
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2011, 08:34:31 pm »

Character physical description?

6ft 2, fairly heavy build with broad shoulders, mid to long length hair in a ponytail.

Yep, it's just me.

Reet, next question, what is your character's favorite tipple of choice?
inigo jameson-gatling
Officer
Iceland Iceland

lofthussar

« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2011, 10:29:11 pm »

Absinthe, obviously. If this is in short supply a good snifter of port.

What is the character's most valuable possession?

And I like the spell checker.

You cannot complain about the sky if you suffer airshipwreck for the second time.
Zeppelin Kapitan Fritz
Zeppelin Admiral

Kapitän of the airborne assault carrier "Hermann"

« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2011, 10:33:36 pm »

My most valuable possessions in cash are definately my "library" of books (some quite rare) and my antiques collection. Nothing else really even comes close. Most of the rest of what I own is either standard issue military equipment or bought at a secondhand store.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 03:09:10 am by Zeppelin Kapitan Fritz » Logged
MsKim
Snr. Officer

thepeachmartini
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2011, 02:25:25 am »

Amelia is quite fond of the custom-made crossbow which she carries with her at all times; affectionately named Gertrude (Gertie). It is sleek and easily tucked away in her leather reticule or in the folds of her skirts, or hidden under her favorite hat.

What is your character's area of expertise?
Prof. Michael Masters
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

Aether Academy Labs: Mad Science For the Masses

« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2011, 02:59:30 am »

I have many areas of expertise. Archeology, Biology, Chronology, ... Basically if it ends in "ology" I have it covered. As for my favorite area of expertise? Well that would have to be the Inventing of the Weird, Wonderful, and sometimes Completely Useless. Trust me A Fusion Powered Toothbrush might seem like a good idea but the practical application is, well lets just say messy. I lost three Minions...I mean Students *cough*  to that little endeavor.

What is your (characters) favorite mode of Transportation?
Zeppelin Kapitan Fritz
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2011, 11:47:02 pm »

I don't want to sound rude, but hasn't that question already been asked earlier?
Augustus Longeye
Daedric Prince of Biscuits
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2011, 12:03:20 am »

Possibly, but it gives a different person the chance to answer it.

Longeye: Well you see I much prefer my Ship, the 'Moth, to anything else... but when I have to a horse suffices. I'm a fair rider and enjoy it, but nothing beats the feel of oak beneath your hands as you gently steel out into adventure.

What would you do when faced with an enraged pachyderm?
~Longeye~

Quote from: Sir Nikolas
I say you, chaps down there! Piss off, see? Haa ha! Love, Space Longeye <3
Zeppelin Kapitan Fritz
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2011, 12:44:24 am »

I would know how to behave around pachyderms so they do not become enraged at me in the first place.

Do you have any pets or animal companions in your life? Fritz's best friend is his German Shepherd Dog, Wolfgang.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 12:15:00 am by Zeppelin Kapitan Fritz » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: