The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 18, 2017, 04:17:11 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Character Development Game  (Read 12347 times)
Puck
Gunner
United States United States

Lord, what fools these mortals be!

« on: July 21, 2011, 10:18:55 pm »

Since it seems that quite a handful of us on here are writers, I thought I'd introduce this forum game I found on a creative writing website a few years back.

The point is to help you develop your existing characters and learn more about them.

Basically, I start by asking a question about your character. "What do they weigh?" "What is their favorite tea?" "Do they play any instruments?" etc. The next person to post will answer that question in any way they like: typically I've seen it as a short narrative answer from the character in question (which is any character of yours you wish), but you can write it in third person as well if it's something your character wouldn't say.

After answering that question, the second poster goes on to ask a different question, and so on and so forth.

Sound interesting? Let's give it a go then. Smiley

-

Who does your character live with?

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
~ Oscar Wilde
JakeStanford
Deck Hand

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 02:03:00 am »

I'll have a go... Names Jake, I don't have a crew yet but I'm still looking for a few of the adventurous types, My parents both dies in a freak accident on a floating city in which I was born. The city fell apart, so I've been a loner/drifter after that. Anyother questions?

Please stop calling me a pirate.... I raid pirates.... and anyone else who goes onto my "I don't like you" list....
Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 02:24:05 am »

Sounds like an interesting game.

Jake, what question do you ask of the next poster's character?

cemeteryresearcher.com

'a lighthearted academic blog about funerary practice' - Updates Sundays*

*gremlins permitting
JakeStanford
Deck Hand

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 02:26:20 am »

Oh, i see how this works, hmm... What is your occupation?
MsKim
Snr. Officer

thepeachmartini
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 03:07:03 am »

Miss Amelia Featherstone sat behind the counter of her shop, goggles upon her face. The flicker from the gas lamp cast a comforting glow across her worktable, her tools splayed before her. The clock - or what was left of it - lay open, the cogs and gears struggling to turn; she really did hate to dismantle it! Brushing a stray auburn strand from her face, she caught a glance of grease-smudged face in the mirror and pulled a face. As she glanced back down to her latest deconstruction, the light jingle of the front door broke the silence.

Is your character native to his or her location?

~Miss Amelia Featherstone~
Adventurer and Tinkerer
NW Indiana
"Why Kate, you're not wearing a bustle. How lewd." ~Doc Holliday, Tombstone
JakeStanford
Deck Hand

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 03:27:05 am »

Wow.... That made mine look kind of lame, nice story... Well if i can go again, im not going totell a story like that but I'm a bit of a drifter, but not like a western bounty hunter, I have quite a large ex-military owned prototype airship and tend to seek a bit of adventure, usual stopping and/or raiding pirates and crooks or helping out the ones i think deserve it.... What's your best skill... Like mechanical work, your speed, so on?
MsKim
Snr. Officer

thepeachmartini
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 01:12:59 pm »

Ha! That's why you beat me to the first question - LOL! I spent too much time thinking about it. Even though my character is my Steampunk equivalent, I'm trying to get a feel for how I want to develop and what her background will be. I'll be back to 'play' some more! Smiley
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 02:50:51 pm »

Diplomacy is about ruthlessness and I happen to enjoy the latter and thus excel at the former. As I've never been a governmental automaton I haven't played the bigger game but there's gangs and mayors and even small nations that need negotiators that swing discussions in their favor so I make a fair penny. Can't say it's always an honest penny on the right side of the moral divide. Diplomacy, to put it in short. Undoubtedly.

Thinking of settling down?

I think I should also mention I had a dream about this game, only Bailey was a woman...

I assure you, that incident in Singapore was all a misunderstanding.
Lady Chrystal
Master Tinkerer
Wales Wales

Lady Adventurer, Chronicler

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 04:10:06 pm »

My name is Chrystal, just Chrystal. I cannot foresee a situation where I could ever settle down. I stay in one place for a while, until other people begin to notice that I'm not the same; then I move on. My family are long dead and I don't have any close friends. Much too dangerous - for them, as well as myself.

What would lead you to kill someone?

"The Chrystal? Ah, now - that would be telling."
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 04:48:24 pm »

Trying to harm himself or someone Dr. Madd loves. Madd would also kill over high-handed bullying and for revenge.

Where is your character from?

What do we want? Decapitations!
Lady Chrystal
Master Tinkerer
Wales Wales

Lady Adventurer, Chronicler

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 07:03:03 pm »

I was born in London, under the sign of Pisces, in the year of our Lord, 1824.

What are you afraid of?

Lukas Kelly
Deck Hand

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 07:54:05 pm »

Though he should be serving jail time right now, he's never been caught or suspected of anything major. Lukas Kelly is an opportunist with unique morals. He has solid lines that he draws, and is generally gentlemanly, but certain things such as theft are a moral grey area. Theft is something that comes easy to him. He's quick, stealthy, and can act under pressure. He's not entirely a worthless criminal though. He refuses to disrespect women, won't harm someone he steals from, and won't steal from those who need it. His targets are usually larger stores and the rich, and although he does give money to the poor on occasion, he's no Robin Hood and steals only for himself. He doesn't have a real home, instead opting to be a traveler, seeing the world.
JakeStanford
Deck Hand

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 08:18:49 pm »

HA! Sounds just like me! I refuse to be called a pirate though, I'm not drunk filth, I actualy try to keep my self polite and respectable.... However I am a bit sarcastic and like to mess with the crew over the intercom pipeline when the captin is subdued Grin
Lukas Kelly
Deck Hand

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 09:10:03 pm »

Oh, I forgot to ask a question.

What are your thoughts on religion?
MsKim
Snr. Officer

thepeachmartini
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 09:39:16 pm »

Raised in a Christian home, Amelia's parents taught her to respect others, and she generally lived by the Golden Rule. Miss Amelia respected the views of others, and held that to be the most important lesson her parents instilled in her. She wasn't necessarily religious, but she did take time to mutter a quick word of thanks when Fortune's eye looked kindly upon her.

What is your favorite means of transportation? Either local or long distance adventures...
Lukas Kelly
Deck Hand

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2011, 10:17:30 pm »

Either walking, because as Nietzche once said, "All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking". His other method, for when the distance is far, is stowing away on an airship.
Lukas Kelly
Deck Hand

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2011, 10:18:29 pm »

What is your general stance on the politics of your region?
Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2011, 11:55:12 pm »

Arletta has just arrived in the self proclaimed 'city of the future'. Here they promise that no one will suffer from crime or poverty. This seems like a dream come true for her, especially after the shady trading and slums in the port where she was born. She's too young to take much of an interest in politics specifically but wholeheartedly approves of whatever policies created this idlyic place.

Lets us hope it isn't all too good to be true.

Who is your dearest companion?
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2011, 01:17:48 pm »

'Dearest' suggests attachment and 'companion' suggests regular acquaintances. Don't pin me as a loner but I have little opportunity for either through sheer force of having an obscure proffession. I have people I'm no doubt loyal to and treat like brothers and sisters but they aren't around often enough to be considered companions.
If inanimate objects count, which they shouldn't, then my brass gauntlet. It's something of a signature item.

Travelled much internationally?
MsKim
Snr. Officer

thepeachmartini
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2011, 07:43:49 pm »

Sadly Miss Amelia hasn't ventured too far away from home. She has grand dreams of traveling by dirigible to explore foreign lands and has many maps pinned around her work area and library to chart her course.

What is your character's trademark (accessory, outfit, physical feature, etc)?
Captain Morgan Arkwright
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2011, 10:30:24 pm »

Captain Morgan Akrwright's signature dress is a top hat adorned with a red sash, decorated with trophies taken from downed adversaries, men felled in the art of combat and foes chased to and from the ends of the earth only to be hunted down.

It is a grizzly reminder of the sheer brutality that is required to be a pirate in the skies in these turbulent times and the lengths that such a man must go to to keep his ship astride the clouds.

But enough about me, what's your character's chosen weapon or tool?
Lothar Erfinder
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2011, 11:39:37 pm »

Richard Cooper never leaves his  tiny appartment without his fedora, which is enchanted to allow him to see through Glamour and makes him feel as though he's starring in a Film Noir. Apart from that, anything made of iron. A key, a nail, a knife- there's a reason they call him Dick Iron.

What are you willing to risk your life for?
Lukas Kelly
Deck Hand

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2011, 12:40:51 am »

Close family and friends, which he doesn't have much contact with at this point, a girlfriend or some such thing, or a greater cause he believes in.

What skills do you have?
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2011, 12:55:09 am »

What is your general stance on the politics of your region?

Madd believes the Gov't butts its nose into people's private lives WAY too much. Its why He lives in the Jungle. He hates Cities.

What armament does your character use? Madd carries a Blowgun, and uses living animals as weapons.. What do you use?
JakeStanford
Deck Hand

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2011, 01:11:44 am »

I'm quite the inventor, I made a hand held canon with a recoil dampener and what i call a vanderbelt revolver which uses multiple hammers lined in a circle to fire repetedly, my best invention would probably be the very large cannon at the bottom of his trusty airship
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: