The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 14, 2019, 11:55:16 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Birmingham & West Midlands events- Summer 2011  (Read 8080 times)
SteamBlast Mary
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Gravatar

A spanner in the works

« on: June 25, 2011, 12:29:54 am »

We are the inventors of the Hat Tower!

We are the instigators of the FIRST Brass Goggles camp (waaay back in 2009  Smiley)

We have the Black Country Living Museum, the Severn Valley Railway, many picnic-friendly parks, lots of beautiful countryside, masses of cider, an inundation of smashing little tea shops if you know where to look and so...

... we the West Midlands Steampunks really have no excuse not to make something happen this summer!

It's been a while, let's see if we can't arrange a get-together of some sort. Summer is inevitably a busy time with many people having other weekend commitments, holidays etc but it's also picnic and steam rally season. I'm sure we can get something together.

There are two forthcoming Shakespeare Rallies in Worcestershire (12-14th August and 16th-18th September):
http://brassgoggles.org/forum/index.php/topic,30423.0.html

But really, pick a date and let's do something. It's been a while since we descended on the Old Joint Stock now, hasn't it??

'I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night’
SteamBlast Mary
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

A spanner in the works

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 12:34:24 am »

Oh yes, there's the Facebook group too.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/group.php?gid=112830022111733
Minjoltr
Zeppelin Admiral

Asker of Questions

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 08:47:09 pm »

*joins*

Join Minnie in the IRC.  All of the cool people are doing it - you should too.
TimeTinker
Rogue Ætherlord

Steampunk Facilitator MVSS

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 09:13:01 pm »

I hereby claim the honour of being a contributor to the first Hat Tower!

Not resident in the West Midlands but a regular visitor and participant in steamy goings on so expressing an interest.

The Memsahib and I along with JCM Rob and Angelica Needle will be attending the Electric Theatre on Sunday to see the incomparable Mr Andrew O'Neil (The original steampunk comedian and member of the punkiest band in steampunkdom) perform his "Winston Churchill is Jack the Ripper" show.

http://www.theelectric.co.uk/programme.php?film=301

A steampunky venue and a steampunk act. What more could one want?  The more people the merrier and I am sure we can expand upon it with an early meeting or drinks afterwards.

BE SPLENDID!
SteamBlast Mary
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

A spanner in the works

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 09:30:17 pm »

This thread is intended to be an "introduce yourself"-type thing, a place to bounce ideas for any meets etc and a repository for any forthcoming events; the idea being that folk can post links to do's in the area in this thread and then they are all here at a glance (in theory, anyway).

For example, the Welland Steam Rally in Malvern Worcester, 30-31st July:

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,31509.0.html

The Armoured Picnic, Worcestershire 20-21st August:

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,31480.0.html (although this does conflict with the Lincolnshire Steam Rally, so remains to be seen).
SteamBlast Mary
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

A spanner in the works

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 09:33:12 pm »

I'll be in Bristol to help a friend celebrate a birthday at the Carnival Sunday day: however, if I get back in time I'll be along on Sunday  Smiley
Dr cornelius quack
Rogue Ætherlord

Arrant Carney. Phmebian Cultural Attache.

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 12:20:46 am »

Allow me to draw our attention to this,

http://www.sixsummersaturdays.com/saturday-9-july/the-pressure-company/

Part of the Hippodrome's season of outdoor events and featuring a new show that I'm helping out with.
It's put together by the folks responsible for some of the gizmos used in 'The Difference Engine' show we did at MOSI last year and has lots of exciting new toys that will blow your mind.
Based on a very Steamy looking bandstand complete with automated percussion and an array of Pyrophones.
Not to mention the amazing 'Galvonium'. (The picture on the link will give  you a clue.)

Come along and see it.
It'll be worth it.

And it's free!!

« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 12:19:34 am by Dr cornelius quack » Logged

Such are the feeble bases on which many a public character rests.

Today, I am two, separate Gorillas.
SteamBlast Mary
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

A spanner in the works

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 06:02:59 pm »

Broadarrow Jack are performing an Open Mic slot in Birmingham on Monday 25th July:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/event.php?eid=1821930451767
Lady Chrystal
Master Tinkerer
Wales Wales

Lady Adventurer, Chronicler

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 07:27:02 pm »

Don't miss the Flashmob event on August 6th in Leamington Spa...

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,31455.0.html

Cheesy

"The Chrystal? Ah, now - that would be telling."
Esme Moore
Snr. Officer

Navigatrix, Combat Horticulturist (Cadet), Poet.

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 07:04:59 pm »

Oh, these wretched problems with my legs! So much going on this year, and so few I can join in with, for one reason and another :-(   Nevertheless, I shall keep an eye on this thread, and do my best to get along to whatever I can. Hopefully, next year I'll be able to get more involved again!
The Governess
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

cooke_lm
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2011, 07:48:57 pm »

Esme, if the last few years are anything to go by- there'll be twice as much going on next year...

CRIMSON CLOCKS
Crimson in tooth and claw, we disdain (pah!) all attempts to neatly categorise us.
Lugubrious lyrics sung sadistically over trouser trembling bass beats and relentless drums in the deep, all washed down with lashings of vivacious violin and orpheic oboe...
The Crimson Hour is close at hand
www.facebook.com/CrimsonClocks
www.CrimsonClocks.com
http://crimsonclocks.blogspot.co.uk
Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2011, 08:17:33 pm »

I'll try and be at the flashmob event on the 6th. I'm familiar with the area so finding the pump room gardens shouldn't be a problem. I hope there are lots of other events in the West Midlands this summer, because I'd love to get involved. I'll join the facebook group now as well.

cemeteryresearcher.com

'a lighthearted academic blog about funerary practice' - Updates Sundays*

*gremlins permitting
Mrs Van Horne
Officer

Lady Rat Fancier

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, 04:50:57 am »

Esme - I do share your predicament - wanting to meet up with the good folk here yet being let down by the pesky legs!

Sadly I will be otherwise occupied on the weekend of the Welland Steam Rally (darn bad timing given that it is in my back garden so to speak!).

Very keen to meet up with other steamy midlanders asap - I've felt rather out of the loop this year!

20th & 21st October 2012
Steampunk Weekend at the Commandery (Worcester, UK)
on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/388026347890155/
web: http://steampunkcommandery.moonfruit.com/

Steampunk and Retro Jewellery & Accessories
~ http://ixykix.etsy.com/ ~
Member of Etsy Steam Team - Search for steamteam on etsy!
~ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ~
Mrs Van Horne
Officer

Lady Rat Fancier

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2011, 04:58:16 am »

Malvern is shortly to have window displays on the subject of the "Victorian Water Cure" - one of my places of work is currently preparing a relevant display... I shall let you know when it is due... and when I have more details...
Esme Moore
Snr. Officer

Navigatrix, Combat Horticulturist (Cadet), Poet.

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2011, 07:26:35 am »

Anybody fancy a get-together sometime in December to help me celebrate my umptieth birthday?
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2011, 02:42:23 pm »

Pencil me in for a December meet-up; I may be in Manchester by then or furiously selling off my possesions to pay off a loan, but I'll try my hardest to put in an appearance. 

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Mr Bellows
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2011, 08:47:17 am »

If its on a weekend pencil me in, a knees up in December sounds lovely

In my opinion it ain't the weapon that counts, its the man that wields it that matters
SteamBlast Mary
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

A spanner in the works

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2011, 10:14:32 pm »

Next Saturday is the Steampunk Flashmob day; the West Mids event is at Leamington.

(I'm going to have a look for a FB event for this, or se about setting one up so if anyone's interested in car-sharing we can post there).
Doveton Sturdee
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2011, 09:21:10 pm »

Hello, hello!
I live in Sutton Coldfield and I'd be up for a get together in Old Joint Stock or anything in fact. Looking forward to my first Asylum too.

Anyways, I'm here, I'm be-goggled and I'm looking forward to meeting you all.

Your servant

D. Sturdee
The Governess
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

cooke_lm
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2011, 09:43:43 pm »

welcome, Mr Sturdee! Look forward to meeting you soon...
The Governess
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

cooke_lm
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2011, 09:46:32 pm »

Anybody fancy a get-together sometime in December to help me celebrate my umptieth birthday?

Count us in if available (Himself is performing at Aston Hall by candlelight in Dec).
Doveton Sturdee
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2011, 09:50:44 pm »

Hello, The Governess,

Is there a meeting of W. Mids steampunk types in Brum soon?

Regards
SteamBlast Mary
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

A spanner in the works

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2011, 10:50:42 am »

Hello, The Governess,

Is there a meeting of W. Mids steampunk types in Brum soon?

Regards

Just as soon as we have the time!  Undecided It's been a frenetically busy summer (though a very enjoyable one, I hasten to add) and now folks are getting themselves ready for the Asylum. However, Saturday 6th August is the Flashmob day (which some of us from this direction will be attending at the Leamington event), Saturday 20th is pencilled in for the Lincolnshire Steam rally (it's possible people are willing to car-share as it's not the easiest place to get to on public transport) but either Saturday 27th/Sunday 29th or Saturday 3rd Sept/Sunday 4th Sept is free* if folk fancy a pre-Asylum warm-up?

*Free in the since there's nothing Steampunkish organised. Not free in the sense that we'll all be rushing around at last minute putting finished touches to outfits, etc, but we'll be ready for a break by then.
Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2011, 11:00:27 am »

I'm looking forward to flashmob day- hopefully I'll be coming if I can persuade anyone to join me, are there any more details about the exact meeting point etc? Also is it still a impromptu tea party? Or should I attempt to learn to Waltz in the next 3 days?

James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2011, 01:42:20 pm »

From the flashmob thread, I believe we'll be meeting at 12 noon here:

Umm, the pavements are barely wide enough for a waltz. How about in front of the Royal Priors shopping centre by Cafe Rouge/Superdry/Ben's Cookies? Inside would be too crowded I think, but there's a larger pedestrianised space just outside.

I'm looking forward to flashmob day- hopefully I'll be coming if I can persuade anyone to join me, are there any more details about the exact meeting point etc? Also is it still a impromptu tea party? Or should I attempt to learn to Waltz in the next 3 days?

Shouldn't worry too much about that.... I have waltzing music and once took an impromptu waltzing lesson (it was at SBM's Christmas party last year).  But can I waltz? no.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: