The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 22, 2017, 02:14:34 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: $10,000 worth of steampunk art stolen  (Read 2139 times)
VampirateMace
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Mein Hexapod

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2011, 03:47:35 am »

I will keep an eye out for these... I'd be rather upset if anyone ran off with my art.

Flynn MacCallister
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Mad SCIENTIST!

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2011, 06:03:12 am »

This is not the first time something like this has happened. I seem to remember some, what was it, goggles or a mask that was stolen some time ago at a CON from some artist. This seems to be a trend. Perhaps there is a very poor and desperate steampunk out there doing it. Perhaps there is just some asshole out there swiping stuff. Whatever the reason, someone needs to find these people and beat them soundly about the head and shoulders.

A monoggle, I believe, a bit over a year ago?

While I strongly agree with you, I also have to say that a lesson should be taken from this and makers probably should be taking more care.
olson.v
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Lady of Misrule + Lord of Misrule's other half

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2011, 10:23:31 pm »

Horrendous! Yes, we all need to take care, but thieves can be incredibly crafty and opportunistic. Over here, some metal thieves made off with a bronze Henry Moore sculpture from the grounds of the Henry Moore Foundation. The thing weighed over a ton! They just turned up in the middle of the night, loaded the thing onto a flatbed, and VOOM! Gone...and probably melted down. A totally tragic waste of a beautiful work of art.

As with any art or artisanal work, the loss of even a single piece (let alone dozens) is keenly felt. Unique pieces are gone, no longer to be looked at, touched, worn - neither for the maker nor the admirer. Here's praying for the recovery of the lost treasure!

When I'm not in my right mind, my left mind gets fairly crowded.
Sir Nathaniel Wolf
Officer

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2011, 08:47:13 am »

Haha, I hope whoever did it set it on fire and watched it burn through his monocle.

You sir, are a scoundrel and troll, and I eagerly anticipate your swift eviction and blacklisting from these forums.

Quote from: Birdnest
Steam (love of the romantic view of Victorian-era industrialization) - Punk (I don't really give a damn what you think of my goggles and top hat).
Sir Nathaniel Wolf
Officer

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2011, 08:59:21 am »

You are the sort of person where, if you were standing before me and on fire, I would not even piss on your shoes.  You are unwelcome, unwanted, unpleasant, and would find far better use with your meagre attempts are provoking wrath at 4chan's /b/, from where you doubtlessly originally came.

I bid you good night, and pray that, come the morning, I find you absent from our company and never encounter you here again, sir.
Just call me Rob
Zeppelin Admiral

Captain: RD Susurrus

« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2011, 09:04:06 am »

Ladies, Gentlemen.
Lets not feed the trolls, it's what they went.

Just ignore the forum for a while until he gets banhammered then we can get back to normal.

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting aiw kwacken.
architect
Zeppelin Captain

...ò.δ...

« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2011, 01:53:49 pm »

as an artist I know this would not only devestate me emotionally but it would likely mean I'd have to beg for food and likely have my car repossesed because I couldn't pay. Had I had any means I would do something to help said artist recover some of the loss financially and hope that acts of kindness in the community would help the recovery of the emotional loss.

I've taken risks in being away from my merchandise at conventions for breif periods without someone to watch it for me, and the hope that there is honor and decency enough still in the fan base to which I cater that I shouldn't have to worry. The loss of that faith, is likely to hit someday, and it will hurt. I briefly entertain the notion of make some sort of sign (ie "This artist is a mad scientist, a random 67% of this merchandise has been treated with a contact poison and is for display purposes only. Let the experiment begin." Though that might just encourage them.

I know this is not going to be a popular response to this, but for the sake of knowledge, this can easily be accomplished by treating the items with any animal fat or synthetic lacquer then coat with a mixture of sulfuric acid and any number of poisonous herb's liquid, such as cowbane or other wise known as water hemlock (for death) to concentrated pepper spray(for extreme pain in the extremity). the sulfuric acid needs to be diluted to ensure it is not the reason for death. this will then dry and contact with the oils and sweat of the skin revitalize both the chemicals left over from the plant and the acid. the acid then opens the pores in the skin and helps facilitate the absorption of the plant chemicals.

architect
Zeppelin Captain

...ò.δ...

« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2011, 01:55:57 pm »

oh and the animal fat or lacquer are to keep the acid from damaging the items so it should be given time to settle or dry and cure. another substance that would work for that is clear epoxy if you can find a spray on version it can be incredibly durable.
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2011, 02:00:11 pm »

Jesus!

Remind me never to piss you off! Cheesy

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
Essex Bounty
Deck Hand

« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2011, 07:49:56 pm »

If I ever caught one of these low-life scum in the act, I would probably........well......you could imagine.........

Sadly, if you did that, you are more likely to be arrested and charged with assault/aggravated assault/GBH/ABH than the thieving  scumbag is to be charged with (attempted) theft. And you will get the  more severe sentance. There is no justice in this country.

Which is why you would do it in a back alley someplace whilst wearing a scarf about your face so the villain couldn't identify you to the authorities and will thus live in fear of being secretly bashed again in the future by the unknown assailant.
Arvis
Zeppelin Admiral

Never underestimate the power of a hairless monkey

« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2011, 11:01:46 pm »

If I ever caught one of these low-life scum in the act, I would probably........well......you could imagine.........

Sadly, if you did that, you are more likely to be arrested and charged with assault/aggravated assault/GBH/ABH than the thieving  scumbag is to be charged with (attempted) theft. And you will get the  more severe sentance. There is no justice in this country.

Which is why you would do it in a back alley someplace whilst wearing a scarf about your face so the villain couldn't identify you to the authorities and will thus live in fear of being secretly bashed again in the future by the unknown assailant.

Not so! (vegetables fear nothing!)

DAG-NABBIT...I cut it and cut it and cut it... an it's STILL TOO SHORT!
Sir Nathaniel Wolf
Officer

« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2011, 01:15:59 am »

Indeed.
The most courageous man I've even met was, as I later learned, a giant turnip in an elaborate costume.
SapperCharman
Deck Hand

@cplarchibaldcha
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2011, 08:48:30 pm »

I know it's in vain, I cannot understand the mentality that sees other peoples property and thinks it morally acceptable to steal it. They need teaching in the morality of steal by the liberal application of pain to various extremities.

Knowledge is power, Hide it well
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2011, 06:46:22 am »

Veggatative states are useless. No you cause unconciousness. Take out scissors and give a horrible hair cut, and a means of copying finger prints. Then keep the hair in a container. Get the wallet or ID and begin the process of destroying the persons ID.

Track down his ability to buy or sell online, destroy it. Find his checking accounts and credit cards, and ask them to be put in lock down as somebody seems to have the information on them (you).

Send letters to his boss with his finger prints on it with his return address. Sign him up for sales calls and junk mail like no man has ever gotten in his life.

Then send Confessions of his deep and endearing love for the neighbors dog to his loved ones, with clippings of his hair.

Wait for him to freak out and attempt to rebuild his life. Check back in three to six months when he thinks he's finally got it fixed. Mail him another lock of hair. And do him in again. make it clear that one way or another He will serve time for his crimes. and maybe cofessing them to the cops and being in jail would be to his liking instead of this.

the idea that somebody can know everything about you, and worse can pull it all out from under you at any time still surprises some people. and they often end up looking over their shoulders for a very long time afterwards.

Arvis
Zeppelin Admiral

Never underestimate the power of a hairless monkey

« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2011, 06:35:14 pm »

Veggatative states are useless. No you cause unconciousness. Take out scissors and give a horrible hair cut, and a means of copying finger prints. Then keep the hair in a container. Get the wallet or ID and begin the process of destroying the persons ID.

Track down his ability to buy or sell online, destroy it. Find his checking accounts and credit cards, and ask them to be put in lock down as somebody seems to have the information on them (you).

Send letters to his boss with his finger prints on it with his return address. Sign him up for sales calls and junk mail like no man has ever gotten in his life.

Then send Confessions of his deep and endearing love for the neighbors dog to his loved ones, with clippings of his hair.

Wait for him to freak out and attempt to rebuild his life. Check back in three to six months when he thinks he's finally got it fixed. Mail him another lock of hair. And do him in again. make it clear that one way or another He will serve time for his crimes. and maybe cofessing them to the cops and being in jail would be to his liking instead of this.

the idea that somebody can know everything about you, and worse can pull it all out from under you at any time still surprises some people. and they often end up looking over their shoulders for a very long time afterwards.

Well, I just found that scarier than architect's post. At least with architect's suggestion you may find peace in death!
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2011, 08:34:16 pm »

Yeah I get the feeling that with the creative sorts of people we collect in communities like this it's a good thing most of us are not short fused or motivated to complete mayhem. Occasional small scale 'soft' chaos yes not "I'LL MAKE THEM ALL REGRET..." sort of stuff.

If I completely lacked morals the suggestions of what could be done with DNA, fingerprints, and complete access to finances and identity of a person... well they make me cringes and a little scared.

I usually refrain from talking about those sort of things, because they are not really interesting to me, but they usually give people the willies. But people destroying the creative loving creations of somebody who probably doesn't make a living from their craft alone, and for what? a drug habit or a bit of change they think their are entitled to while they live free in government housing playing video games rather than working or applying themselves (suffice it to say I've seen and encountered this sort often enough in the areas where I have lived by just scraping by).

That and anybody who does unspeakables to my loved ones, have earned my dislike. And my dislike is not a gentle thing, subtle sometimes, but not gentle.
Sir Nathaniel Wolf
Officer

« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2011, 08:40:13 pm »

Well, I just found that scarier than architect's post. At least with architect's suggestion you may find peace in death!

While actually doing the deeds one describes are quite reprehensible, creative writing about them is quite cathartic.
Aki Van-Wyke
Swab

Canada Canada

hat maker

« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2011, 04:38:10 am »

I do hope that they're caught and punished.

I can't stand theft on this level, it's just disgusting.
crookedfingers
Zeppelin Captain

"What We Know of the Ether" - 1906

« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2011, 02:58:58 pm »

You forgot the part where you dose them with lionfish poison, to give them the shakes for days. There is no known antidote.

Teleportation! See me go from nought to zero in zero seconds!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: