The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 22, 2017, 01:53:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: $10,000 worth of steampunk art stolen  (Read 2138 times)
Outflyer_Calliope
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ashamed by my own magnificence

« on: June 22, 2011, 11:28:07 am »

Autumn Steam at Faerieworlds in the USA this past weekend, had well over 10 thousand dollars worth of steampunk art stolen . This is not cool at all, shame on you who did this. All the info on the theft and what was taken is via the link here.

http://autumnsteam.blogspot.com/2011/06/68-stolen-pendants-from-faerie-worlds.html

Each pendant has a number engraved on the back of it with either the initials "AA" or "Autumn Steam".

Please keep an eye out on Ebay, Etsy, Folksy or any other on line market places you may visit.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 01:48:39 pm by Outflyer_Calliope » Logged

A beautiful piece of nonsense...
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 12:35:17 pm »

Some people are such absolute bastards, aren't they! I hope they get them back.

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
Miss Peggy Bone
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 12:48:10 pm »

Whoever did this is absolute pond scum.
I shall certainly keep an eye out during my online meanderings, I've bookmarked the page to use as a reference. I really hope at least some are recovered.

Visit my Etsy shop. 
Range of cuff links now available http://www.etsy.com/shop/madebypeggy?section_id=10514346
Cravats, Victorian Bow Ties, Cufflinks and Tie Pins.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/misspeggybone
Just call me Rob
Zeppelin Admiral

Captain: RD Susurrus

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 01:16:01 pm »

It says 75 pendants in the article, I couldn't find a reference to $10k, but I might have missed it.

75 pendants.
To make $10k that's $133 per pendant.
For that price I'm guessing that a lot of them are made from precious metal or come with silver or gold chains.

Chances are the criminals have already melted them down, or separated the chains and have sold off the precious metals for a few hundred bucks.

I wonder if it's someone from the SP community with sticky fingers, or if some local crims wandered into the event.

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting aiw kwacken.
Mr. Phikset
Gunner
United States United States

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 01:22:18 pm »

That truly is unfortunate, my condolances goes to those affected.  I would love to find the illigtimate offspring and introduce them to my wrench or hammer.

When asked how long something will take, always tell them longer than what you think it will take.  That way if something goes wrong you have time to fix it and if everything goes smoothly then you look like a miracle worker.
 - Scotty
Outflyer_Calliope
Snr. Officer

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 01:24:03 pm »

It says 75 pendants in the article, I couldn't find a reference to $10k, but I might have missed it.

75 pendants.
To make $10k that's $133 per pendant.

The 10K is a direct quote from the FB Steampunk page who first sent the call out.... could also include in that amount the frames and carrying boxes for the pendants that were also taken.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 01:46:25 pm by Outflyer_Calliope » Logged
zombie.anna
Gunner

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 01:27:13 pm »

This is terrible.

I sent a link to your blog post to CRAFT Magazine.  They recently posted about some embroidery pieces being stolen from an exhibition.  I'm not sure if steampunk jewelry is crafty enough for them, but hopefully they'll pass the word on.

I couldn't imagine getting all that hard work stolen. My heart goes out to you.
Outflyer_Calliope
Snr. Officer

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 01:44:22 pm »

This is terrible.

I sent a link to your blog post to CRAFT Magazine.  They recently posted about some embroidery pieces being stolen from an exhibition.  I'm not sure if steampunk jewelry is crafty enough for them, but hopefully they'll pass the word on.

Thanks, but it wasn't me.... thank god... it was a company called : Autumn Steam based in the USA...

If it had been my stuff, there would be more blood and dead bodies to clean up...
dman762000
Zeppelin Admiral

Captain of the pirate Airship Aurelia

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 03:51:05 pm »

This is not the first time something like this has happened. I seem to remember some, what was it, goggles or a mask that was stolen some time ago at a CON from some artist. This seems to be a trend. Perhaps there is a very poor and desperate steampunk out there doing it. Perhaps there is just some asshole out there swiping stuff. Whatever the reason, someone needs to find these people and beat them soundly about the head and shoulders.

"Dammit all, the hydrogen catalysts have gone off again!"

opta ardua pennis astra sequi
The Traveller
Gunner
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

CodexImaginata
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 04:02:20 pm »

Tsk tsk, see this is why we should be allowed to build our own clockwork booby traps.

Hopefully it was insured.

Prof Ainsworth Halfmain
Snr. Officer

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 04:25:10 pm »

Reprehensible. It would appear some krakens possess only 2 legs instead of 8.

Believe me, there exists no such dilemma as that in which a gentleman is placed when he is forced to reply to a blackguard. ~Edgar Allan Poe
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 04:40:15 pm »

as an artist I know this would not only devestate me emotionally but it would likely mean I'd have to beg for food and likely have my car repossesed because I couldn't pay. Had I had any means I would do something to help said artist recover some of the loss financially and hope that acts of kindness in the community would help the recovery of the emotional loss.

I've taken risks in being away from my merchandise at conventions for breif periods without someone to watch it for me, and the hope that there is honor and decency enough still in the fan base to which I cater that I shouldn't have to worry. The loss of that faith, is likely to hit someday, and it will hurt. I briefly entertain the notion of make some sort of sign (ie "This artist is a mad scientist, a random 67% of this merchadise has been treated with a contact poison and is for display purposes only. Let the experiment begin."

Though that might just encourage them.

Mechanical Fish
Gunner

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 06:13:53 pm »

Outrageous!

Must admit i like the poison idea, maybe not a fatal dose just enought to make them collapse in a corner for a bit... or run a charge through the metal of the items (i better stop now or i'll get carried away with the idea... well, more carried away)

Eitherway lets hope it gets recovered somehow.
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 06:16:48 pm »

I have had small items of mine stolen from conventions as well, it tends to be when the general public are present, never when just steampunks.......

Every time you say "cog" when you mean "gear" or "sprocket", Cthulu kills a kitten. 

www.etsy.com/shop/celticroseart
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

Research Air Ship R.A.S. 'Saorsa'

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 06:37:41 pm »

Darkshine, your observation is interesting - most members of the Steampunk community know full well that much of the value in most items is in the design and craft that goes into these pieces. There may be precious metal or gems involved, there may not be, but to uninformed members of the public the word "jewelry" attached to a lump of yellowy metal means something that can probably be fenced without too much trouble at any "We buy your gold" shop. Sadly they take anything not nailed down in the hope of making some cash, all the stuff that turns out not to be precious metal just gets dumped. I suspect matters over the pond are no different at a time of record world scrap metal prices. It is for this time that steampunk exists, maybe some advertising that this piece of art contains no valuable metal may be considered not good advertising but if it is true it enhances our good name and might just deter the toe rags.

Airship Artificer, part-time romantik and amateur Natural Philosopher

"wee all here are much troubled with the loss of poor Thompson & Sutton"
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2011, 07:15:22 pm »

A prime example of why the Pillory was invented.

What do we want? Decapitations!
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2011, 08:11:02 pm »

You know what, reading this kind of thing really makes my blood boil.

Just recently ive had my van broken into and all they grabbed was any copper or brass plumbing fitting they could find (thankfully didnt notice the power tools) and again a while back some swine managed to get a locked van-vault tube off of my roof-rack, chock full of copper tubing.

Tempted to rant big time but I wont.

If I ever caught one of these low-life scum in the act, I would probably........well......you could imagine.........

Will keep an eye out for anything....

~SeVeN~

zombie.anna
Gunner

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2011, 08:15:16 pm »

This is terrible.

Thanks, but it wasn't me.... thank god... it was a company called : Autumn Steam based in the USA...

If it had been my stuff, there would be more blood and dead bodies to clean up...

Oh!  Haha.. good thing I didn't like to this forum post then.  Thanks for pointing that out to me!  I should have read more carefully.
Dr. Sniderbunk
Gunner

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2011, 12:06:43 am »

This sort of thing really burns me as I know first hand how much time and effort our artisan's put into making a piece of jewelry.  Much of it may not take much time, but the love our folks put into each peice is why I will happily pay someone the money to create an object of art for me.

Those who are guilty will find that if any of us find them will be worse than if the police catch them first.  I am sure making some post-apocalypse pieces will be more than acceptable in using true finger bones.
nicromanov
Snr. Officer

look out for that !....

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2011, 12:14:53 am »

this is just sadenning .

i had a couple of necklaces stolen once, i only make £10 per necklace ,but that was upsetting neough ,so i cant imagine how terrible it must feel to loose works of such value and love.
hopefully when the theif is caught his body is electroplated in brass and melted down ,to be made into new items .

"curse this infernal machine of the devil!!"
Arvis
Zeppelin Admiral

Never underestimate the power of a hairless monkey

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2011, 03:21:50 pm »

A prime example of why the Pillory was invented.

Oh, I am so spoiled by the "thumbs up" feature at youtube!
(we need that feature here)

DAG-NABBIT...I cut it and cut it and cut it... an it's STILL TOO SHORT!
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2011, 03:39:20 pm »

If I ever caught one of these low-life scum in the act, I would probably........well......you could imagine.........

Sadly, if you did that, you are more likely to be arrested and charged with assault/aggravated assault/GBH/ABH than the thieving  scumbag is to be charged with (attempted) theft. And you will get the  more severe sentance. There is no justice in this country.
SteamMeister
Deck Hand

Gravatar

Watch Maker

N/A
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2011, 03:41:57 pm »

Dear God! Who would do such a thing! I'll keep a lookout for these magnificent works of art.

~Samuel

Oh, so you were expecting a fancy signature eh? Well, your not getting one!
Birdnest
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2011, 06:05:31 pm »

Sadly, if you did that, you are more likely to be arrested and charged with assault/aggravated assault/GBH/ABH than the thieving  scumbag is to be charged with (attempted) theft. And you will get the  more severe sentance. There is no justice in this country.

Simply stuff the perpetrator into a box and mail him/her/it here.  There are millions of acres of wilderness ... and as we say: "I have a backhoe and 10 acres and I like to dig holes".  Hopefully the scum won't poison the trees.

And yes, drek like that happens here too in the tiny hamlets of the frontier.  Tongue

Onward ho!
engineRmRaphi
Gunner

SteamPink: Eugene V. Debs for President 1912

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2011, 07:40:42 pm »

Wow.  Must the roles of Victorian pickpocket or thievery ring be revived also?
      *shakes head in vain attempt to clear mind of horrid imagery*

I am totally sympathetic.  I've had my artist's supplies (rare wood, carving equipment, etc.) and my mechanic's tools stolen.  Also an heirloom ring.  Yes, they're just things, and no, I'm not sure I'd levy the death penalty.  But some of that stuff was either too expensive or too unusual to be replaced.  It's certainly a hideous inconvenience.  Particularly for those whose livelihood is impacted.
    The tools and ring, I strongly suspect, were taken by a friend of a friend.  A once interesting and likeable person who has disappeared into addiction.

Much easier to deal with krakens than crackheads. 

Raphi Alexandrian, <br />Marine Steam Engineer. <br />Advocate for the laboring classes.<br />Practitioner of the Egyptian mysteries, Hermeticism, & Christian cabala.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: