The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 07:10:41 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Generic Diesel Punk Discussion  (Read 22399 times)
andrew craven
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Clanker Zep Kapitan...From Prussia with Love

« Reply #125 on: August 20, 2011, 08:50:51 am »

The Daily Express building, Fleet Street, London:

Click here, and have a look at some pictures of the stunning interior.

Smiley

You sure thats in London's Fleet Street old chap? It looks exactly like Manchester Ancoats that building does!?
andrew craven
Snr. Officer

Clanker Zep Kapitan...From Prussia with Love

« Reply #126 on: August 20, 2011, 08:56:43 am »

The Empire State Building...now this is a magnificent futurist building. It has the future of the typical science fictional metropolis behind the idea around this one....the city in the sky...We need more buildings that are designed to moore zeppelins!
Herr Döktor
Gadgeteer, Contraptionist, and Inventor, FVSS
Governor
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #127 on: August 20, 2011, 09:31:23 am »

The Daily Express building, Fleet Street, London:

With appologies Herr Doktor,
that is The Friends Provident head office in Ancoats Mnchester,it was modelled on The Express Building, so an understandable error Wink
I only know because I used to work there...boil in summer,freeze in winter Roll Eyes
Smiley

My apologies: That is the Manchester offices of the Express, modelled after the London one:

And we might as well get the Glasgow one out of the way while we're here:

The London one was nick-named "The Black Lubyanka" by the Private Eye.

Smiley
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 09:34:05 am by Herr Döktor » Logged

Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #128 on: August 20, 2011, 10:01:32 am »

Not that I've ever been but if you like Deco architecture Shanghai has quite the collection. The Bund was reopened to the public last year.

I still think the Chrysler is my personal fave though.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 10:07:00 am by Argus Fairbrass » Logged

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
Zeppelin Kapitan Fritz
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Kapitän of the airborne assault carrier "Hermann"

« Reply #129 on: August 21, 2011, 06:18:48 am »

Hard to find many vehicles much more Deco than the 1934 Chrysler Airflow and the Union Pacific M-10000.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 09:46:19 pm by Zeppelin Kapitan Fritz » Logged
neon_suntan
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

The scribe wore black

neonsuntan
« Reply #130 on: August 21, 2011, 11:40:35 pm »

Hard to find any vehicles much more Deco than the 1934 Chrysler Airflow and the Union Pacific M-10000.

The Phantom Corsair?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also most days i drive past a former Cigarette factory built in the 50's neo-art-deco/faux-art-deco style

The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #131 on: August 22, 2011, 06:39:11 pm »

Hard to find any vehicles much more Deco than the 1934 Chrysler Airflow and the Union Pacific M-10000.

1939 Pontiac, made of plexiglass....

1928 Packard Limosine (I actually get to go drive one of these soon!)

Action! Adventure! Possible Harlotry!
Abis do it for SCIENCE!
BrassGoggles 2012 Pin-Up Calander!
Mr. Bertram A. Lisney
Gunner

« Reply #132 on: August 31, 2011, 08:27:04 am »

There's been a page full of ideas and comments to reply to, I won't quote them all, I'll just add this;

If we assume that Steampunk is Victorian inspired and Dieselpunk is WWI-WWII inspired,

I've seen a goodly bit of this thinking, and it is my most humble opinion that it is inherently flawed; however!
I think there's truth in the idea that Steampunk is predominantly UK themed and Diesel US themed.
Retrofuturists tend to head towards exciting times in History.
The UK has fun stuff going on in the Victorian ere with an expansionist Empire and a vibrant London town, but post WWI the US was exciting with an industrial movement, prohibition and art deco to distract from the great depression.

Seems to hit the nail on the head.  Somewhere between film noir and a campy propaganda skit.

Funny, though, that the Steampunks should focus towards the end of the British empire, and the Dieselpunks, the start of the American.  Will, years from now, people dress up in fantastical facsimiles of our modern wear?  Will going to Starbucks be a quaint, novel practice celebrating a more civilized age?  Will people attach touch-screens to hoodies and shredded jeans in a pointless and haphazard manner?

I tend to think not.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 09:53:46 pm by Mr. Bertram A. Lisney » Logged
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #133 on: August 31, 2011, 12:06:19 pm »

I bet someone in Japan has done it already. Cheesy

It makes total sense to me that Diesel Punk is more associated with America. It isn't exclusively of course any more than SP is exclusively British. But even looking at it purely from the aspect of the fuel source (which does play a large part) It's down to the size of the place as much as anything. The American love of gasoline is legendary. Not because in reality it's more dependant on the bloody stuff than anywhere else. But because it was at the forefront of developing awesome gas guzzling streamline moderne type vehicles that just physically don't fit on many of the roads in a country such as mine.

Even back in the sixties when I was born for example. When many Americans were cruising round in cars like this

my old man was poodling about in this

And much as I have very fond memories of it, and it certainly was economical (ish) it's not the most impressive vehicle you'll ever see. Cheesy

Obviously a lot of the buildings are far larger too.

Incidentally, I still feel that the SP timeline finishes at the end of WW1. Indeed the Deco movement was a kind of reaction to the austerity of that period. Even though it's roots were (apparently) in 1900 France and the term itself wasn't coined until 1968. I guess SP claims Art Nouveau, which is also very lovely in a greenish twirly swirly God I'm bombed on absinthe kinda way. Grin
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #134 on: July 28, 2016, 10:24:09 pm »

The Hollywood Reporter says that a Rocketeer sequel is in the works. Though instead of Cliff Secord the rocket pack will be worn by a black woman.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/rocketeer-disney-movie-reboot-works-915037

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

Research Air Ship R.A.S. 'Saorsa'

« Reply #135 on: August 03, 2016, 12:01:05 pm »

It makes total sense to me that Diesel Punk is more associated with America. It isn't exclusively of course any more than SP is exclusively British. But even looking at it purely from the aspect of the fuel source (which does play a large part) It's down to the size of the place as much as anything. The American love of gasoline is legendary. Not because in reality it's more dependant on the bloody stuff than anywhere else. But because it was at the forefront of developing awesome gas guzzling streamline moderne type vehicles that just physically don't fit on many of the roads in a country such as mine.

Hello Argus old chap - ages since we chatted! Hope you are well.

So, here we are digging up a thread from 2011 when I was probably asleep as I don't seem to have participated - time to put that right even though I don't recall seeing the OP around here recently. Looking at the situation 5 years later, I think we are now more global in our judgements and I do believe that Diesel Punk has a place very much in European culture. The whole Nazis in space / Iron Sky and Luft '46 are very Diesel Punk. Maybe not quite so strong in the UK for many of the reasons Argus gives. The lack of visibility in the UK may also have much to do with a natural rejection of Nazi style and the massive trend towards '50's 'Vintage' culture, in cars, fashion and music - what was once coined 'atom punk'!

Incidentally, I still feel that the SP timeline finishes at the end of WW1. Indeed the Deco movement was a kind of reaction to the austerity of that period. Even though it's roots were (apparently) in 1900 France and the term itself wasn't coined until 1968. I guess SP claims Art Nouveau, which is also very lovely in a greenish twirly swirly God I'm bombed on absinthe kinda way. Grin

Yep, I do agree with that except maybe the SP timeline ends at the beginning of The Great War. 1914 -1918 was a time when industrialisation was turned to mass slaughter, learning the lessons from The American Civil War. As such it feels too cynical and dark to be associated with SP, but maybe that's just me. The darkness of diesel punk has, for me, more associations coming out of the trenches and for me, those years are the watershed between SP and DP. I do wonder though if there is another way? The fun and frolics of SP and the convenience of the infernal combustion engine? Actually, just thinking about it, that is a clear divider right there, history dates aside...
SP is predominately external combustion - steam, hot air - and DP is mainly internal combustion. Sorry if that has been raised before, didn't have a chance to read every post.
Anyway, back on point - my personal choice for the period and as I am the only adherent of it, I must be right - how about Akroyd Stuart Punk? Some say the true inventor of the Diesel engine but hey, even the name sounds right. So, Akroyd Stuart Punk is now my preferred follow on period from Steam Punk where the steam has leaked away.

Airship Artificer, part-time romantik and amateur Natural Philosopher

"wee all here are much troubled with the loss of poor Thompson & Sutton"
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #136 on: August 04, 2016, 01:08:23 am »

Now that there is a distance  of chronological  and generational time  between the now and the  20th Century there have evolved rather romantic and evocative  labels for the  era  , with a certain  nostalgic yearning.   No longer are we  referring   to  early 1900s , War Time ,  the 50s , Swinging 60s

We have  the Interbellum period, Inter war period, dieselpunk,  peace time to describe  the 20s through 40s.

The war years  are variously described as Mid Century,  Ration  Years, Military  Influence, Swing era.

Next we race on to the post war/ Cold War era  and  Atomic , Atom punk,  Space War, Space Race,  Psychobilly

I am in aggreeance with anything that  provides people with inspirational   and creative vision 
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« Reply #137 on: September 21, 2016, 04:02:45 pm »

A spectacular rock opera-like remastering of Fritz Lang's Metropolis by Giorgio Moroder:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1qIj4Vce8g
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 04:05:05 pm by chicar » Logged

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: