The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 18, 2017, 03:55:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Generic Diesel Punk Discussion  (Read 22761 times)
andrew craven
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Clanker Zep Kapitan...From Prussia with Love

« Reply #100 on: June 26, 2011, 10:34:40 pm »

Just to dig a little trench that you can roll over with a tank if you wish...just to say my scratch!

The first actual world war kicked off in Canada between the Brits and French over the possession of the continent that spread aound the world like a desease. That was in the 1750's.

Then the second world war was with Napoleon that was more destructive than the latter as it saw the age of mass armies that saw a lot of needless deaths and chaos. It was simply to say no to Napoleon.

And then its The Great War of 1918-1914 (the third world war)...need I say more on the trouble and strife that inflicted upon the human race!?

And then it was the fourth to say no to Hitler!

Apocolypses are measured by the amount of destruction seen in a space of time. Apocalypse..like Rangnarok....could also be interpretated as Great Change! These are quite philosophical perspectives to look back on history and the human condition indeed. Nostradamus very much predicted the great conflict of the 20th century that plunged the whole world in death and destruction. Lets hope apathy doesnt shit out another apocalypse for our generations to come. They will look back on this history has one bloody epic clash of titans the likes they will never see...I certainly hope that will be the case!

Anyway chugging on in my conquering tank with leggywegs towards the dieselspunky talk...Clank Clank Clank Clank!
Just call me Rob
Zeppelin Admiral

Captain: RD Susurrus

« Reply #101 on: June 27, 2011, 09:04:12 am »

There's been a page full of ideas and comments to reply to, I won't quote them all, I'll just add this;

If we assume that Steampunk is Victorian inspired and Dieselpunk is WWI-WWII inspired, with WWI being the grey area of overlap then the first thing to notice is that Steampunk has a lot more years of history to draw from.
The Victorian era spanned flintlocks to machine guns and Shakos, to Piths to Tin helmets.
The Dieselpunk era didn't have the same breadth of change of style as far as I can see – the bolt action rifle from WWI looks pretty much the same as the bolt action rifle from WWII.

I think there's truth in the idea that Steampunk is predominantly UK themed and Diesel US themed.
Retrofuturists tend to head towards exciting times in History.
The UK has fun stuff going on in the Victorian ere with an expansionist Empire and a vibrant London town, but post WWI the US was exciting with an industrial movement, prohibition and art deco to distract from the great depression.

As to why there are more modders for Steampunk.
I think it's because diesel finds itself split between the grimier dieselpunk and the glitzy decopunk, and art deco had a revival in the 60s.
A modern telephone or lamp steamed up looks like an anachronistic Victorian device – the same item modded to follow a deco theme looks like a 60 knock off.
I also think it's quite hard to get that anachronistic twist on a dieselpunk idea that doesn't look like re-enactment, or perhaps re-enactment of some secret weapon or some little known squadron – the diesel era is already quite modern.

A lot of Steampunk ideas come from taking technology and styles from the next ere of history and mashing it with older ideas.
So, steampunk can use diesel to create anachronism.
The Steampunk zeppelin commander often finds inspiration of uniform from the crew of the Memphis Belle.
The Thompson Machine gun made of brass and walnut.
The steam powered tank and clockwork computer.

The era after Dieselpunk is Teddy Boys, Hippies and Vietnam.
Not necessarily the easiest elements to play with, so to Steam up Diesel one has to head into the sci-fi future, or find some other sideways inspiration to mash with the diesel.

That's all generalisation and opinion of course, and there's probably more exceptions than I can count.

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting aiw kwacken.
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

A.K.A. Scanner Camera Builder

« Reply #102 on: June 27, 2011, 09:22:01 am »

I get your point Rob. I guess the diversity in Dieselpunk has to be found in different designs from different countries. I've posted a couple of vehicles from a not so far past, but from a forreign country, Russia. Their designs have different points of view than the western designs. In a way, that is the anachronistic part of Dieselpunk. Same technology, different design.
I guess the closer you get to the present, the harder it gets to create a anachronistic twist. Going to far back in history you go into saga's and myths where everything goes. I believe we have a perfect spot in the historical timeline right here, with Steampunk.

All of the above is of course IMHO.

The best way to learn is by personal experience.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #103 on: June 27, 2011, 10:47:46 pm »

I should think the reason for the change in settings is because other countries were in ascendance during the 30s and 40s than during the Victorian age. Most of Europe was just going along, while the US and Germany were the interesting, happening places. Also if you are one of those who consider *punk an aesthetic, Nazi Germany had some beautiful uniforms, buildings and shows.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Ottens
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

Gatekeeper

« Reply #104 on: August 10, 2011, 01:37:09 pm »

A bit of self promotion if you'll allow me... The
dieselpunk section of The Gatehouse contains a good number of articles about the genre:

The Gatehouse Gazette has featured numerous articles about dieselpunk of course. I'd like to specifically mention:

Enjoy!
Zeppelin Kapitan Fritz
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Kapitän of the airborne assault carrier "Hermann"

« Reply #105 on: August 12, 2011, 11:03:47 am »

On an unrelated note, what Dieselpunk architecture should look like. Bauhaus Building, Dessau, Germany.

Zeppelin Kapitan Fritz
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #106 on: August 12, 2011, 11:08:44 am »

I actually think Bauhaus is more diesel than Deco is.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 11:34:55 am by Zeppelin Kapitan Fritz » Logged
Zeppelin Kapitan Fritz
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #107 on: August 14, 2011, 10:21:12 pm »

Okay, I take that back. I actually like Art Deco better for Dieselpunk purposes now that I think about it more.
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #108 on: August 18, 2011, 03:31:50 pm »

Art Deco and Stream Moderne are the staple design flavors of Diesel. Whether or not you like it or not changes little :p

Action! Adventure! Possible Harlotry!
Abis do it for SCIENCE!
BrassGoggles 2012 Pin-Up Calander!
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #109 on: August 18, 2011, 11:12:56 pm »

Phwoar!  Grin

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #110 on: August 19, 2011, 02:29:23 pm »

Buffalo City Hall is probably one of my favorite diesely buildings circa the 1920's era.

Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #111 on: August 19, 2011, 06:11:49 pm »

Wow, some of these are just incredible aren't they!

I'm wondering of the many Deco style buildings around the world which one cost the most lives to construct? (apologies I'm In a slightly morbid frame of mind today)

I know the Hoover Dam claimed over a hundred.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 06:13:29 pm by Argus Fairbrass » Logged
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #112 on: August 19, 2011, 06:22:05 pm »

I've been on the dam (even stradled the timezone line so I could feel like a time traveller!), and the photos just don't do it justice.

And, it's an interesting question.
Herr Döktor
Gadgeteer, Contraptionist, and Inventor, FVSS
Governor
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #113 on: August 19, 2011, 08:23:38 pm »

Chrysler Building: Check

Hoover Dam: Check

Hoover Building:

Check

The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #114 on: August 19, 2011, 09:03:32 pm »

Oooooh. Where is the Hoover Building?
Sir A Poiselamppe
Zeppelin Overlord

Inventor of the Homing Battenburgram

« Reply #115 on: August 19, 2011, 09:17:31 pm »

There are a few buildings which crossover...

Eltham Palace for example:

Steampunk on the outside:

Dieselpunk on the inside

Armadillo....

Good place for a  Picnic/day out....

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/properties/eltham-palace-and-gardens/

Herr Döktor
Governor
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #116 on: August 19, 2011, 09:20:48 pm »

I used to work very near it, it's on the A40 (the Westway, as it once was), the mainroad from London to Oxford, in an area called Perivale, it's now in the middle of urban sprawl, but once it was in fields, opposite a country golf course:

Map:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=hoover+building,+perivale&hl=en&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=24.19559,46.054687&vpsrc=0&t=h&z=16

PS:

Eltham Palace: Check- lovely place, a hidden gem for sure!
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #117 on: August 19, 2011, 09:39:33 pm »

Ooh, I like this game!

The El Rey- Los Angeles, CA-

check

The Sunset Tower (Argyle Hotel)- Los Angeles, CA-

check

Its going to take me longer to find names and photos of other places, I fear. But enjoy those Smiley
Herr Döktor
Governor
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #118 on: August 19, 2011, 09:44:24 pm »

The Daily Express building, Fleet Street, London:

Click here, and have a look at some pictures of the stunning interior.

Smiley

PS: As noted below, this is the MANCHESTER offices of said newspaper, though the interior pictures are from London!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 09:33:21 am by Herr Döktor » Logged
Sir A Poiselamppe
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #119 on: August 19, 2011, 09:47:08 pm »

Western Avenue off the A40. I believe that they were going to knock it down, then it was bought by Tesco and is the site of one of their stores....

http://www.perivale.co.uk/hoover-building.htm

Apparently it is to let....

http://www.hooverbuilding.co.uk/contact-n-terms.htm
Herr Döktor
Governor
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #120 on: August 19, 2011, 09:51:20 pm »

Western Avenue off the A40. I believe that they were going to knock it down, then it was bought by Tesco and is the site of one of their stores....

http://www.perivale.co.uk/hoover-building.htm

Apparently it is to let....

http://www.hooverbuilding.co.uk/contact-n-terms.htm

And has been, more or less, since it was built, er, rebuilt, er, repurposed, whatevah!

The A4 (the old Bath road from London) was lined with Art Deco factories, but most of them were redeveloped (ie. DEMOLISHED) in the 1980s.

Philistines!
Sir A Poiselamppe
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #121 on: August 19, 2011, 09:52:51 pm »

Or if you fancy a day out there is the De la Warr Pavillion, the first Deco building built by a local corporation in the UK

Herr Döktor
Governor
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #122 on: August 19, 2011, 09:55:59 pm »

Went to the Bexhill Pavillion at the start of summer, wherein was a strange steampunk cabinet that played discordant music to match it's mood...

Forgot about this one: further down the A4, in Slough, there was once the Berlei factory:

Built 1936, demolished 1984, now in it's place is a generic glass cube.

They made brassieres, you know...
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #123 on: August 19, 2011, 10:27:10 pm »

Well, if we want to get back to the discussion part, here´s part of what I like about Art Deco. It seems like a good testament to human achievement. It doesn´t tend to feature religious imagery, or vines and forest animals like you found in Art Noveau. Instead it focuses on humanity, with geometrical shapes, and humanoid figures. It has a style that indicates movement and speed, and helps give a sense of onwards and upwards. A style that celebrates human progress.
aligov
Zeppelin Captain

Gravatar

« Reply #124 on: August 19, 2011, 11:46:23 pm »

The Daily Express building, Fleet Street, London:

With appologies Herr Doktor,
that is The Friends Provident head office in Ancoats Mnchester,it was modelled on The Express Building, so an understandable error Wink
I only know because I used to work there...boil in summer,freeze in winter Roll Eyes
Smiley
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: