The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 21, 2017, 03:17:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Generic Diesel Punk Discussion  (Read 22380 times)
Zeppelin Kapitan Fritz
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Kapitän of the airborne assault carrier "Hermann"

« on: June 19, 2011, 11:59:15 am »

This is a thread for those who, like myself, who take interest in dieselpunk (my favorite form of retrofuturistic fiction). I love the general "zeitgeist" of the first half of the 20th century, it is very likely my favorite time period. I am trying to learn more about it and would appreciate what other people have to say. To start, please make a list of any existing works you would consider to be wholly or partially dieselpunk. Here's mine.

Crimson Skies

Il-2 Sturmovik: 1946

The cartoon "Talespin"

Fritz Lang's "Metropolis"

"The Shape of Things To Come", by H.G. Wells, and the movie "Things To Come", which was based on it.

Some neo-noir

Wolfenstein 3D

Sky Captain & The World of Tommorow

Porco Rosso

The Rocketeer
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 04:22:30 am by Zeppelin Kapitan Fritz » Logged
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 05:04:49 pm »

Are you perchance familiar with the website Dieselpunks.org?

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Henry Gizmo
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

I sting like a butterfly and float like a brick.

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 05:31:13 pm »

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow?

Earl grey, no sugar.
'If you're tired of tea then you're tired of life'
~Everyone's favourite professor
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 06:15:41 pm »

Video games Bloodrayne and Wolfenstein. I'm very intrigued about the film Iron Sky, and also Hardkor 44 if it gets made.

http://www.dieselpunks.org/#comments. As has been mentioned, and definately the best site out there imho.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 04:32:59 pm by Argus Fairbrass » Logged

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 08:13:38 pm »

Terry Gilliam's Brazil

The Rocketeer (both film and comic books)

Fritz Lang's Metropolis

'9' the Shane Acker animation

The Shadow the film with Alec Baldwin and the pulp novels

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
andrew craven
Snr. Officer

Clanker Zep Kapitan...From Prussia with Love

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 09:00:21 pm »

Fritz Lang's 'Frau Im Monde' (Woman in the Moon)....A silent film made not long after Metropolis that was put into the nazi's black book for it showed many theories and knowledge of rocket technology that old Adolphous Hitler was reluctant to unleash to the public.

'Zeppelin', a 1971 film with Micheal York as a British spy during world war one who joins this special operation in Germany to use a Graf Zeppelin to steel the crown jewels locked away in a bunker in some remote part of Britain. My most favourite war film that I am having trouble in getting on DVD to much of my anxiety.

'Last Exile', Japanese anime about a war in the skies in an alternative world..such you have these flying dreadnoughts in the sky that run off a sort of vibration machine for example....fascinating series from the makers of 'Hellsing'.

Books...'Leviathen' by Scott Westerfeld could be described as dieselpunk as its set at the start of world war one. Not to mention the prominant technology being diesel powered...or atleast on the Clanker's side!

Dieselpunk is a fantastic sub-aesthetic within or attached to steampunk. With my wardrobe and where it has developed it seems to stand on the border between steampunk and dieselpunk in an aesthetical point of view. We need more films based on dieselpunk as well as steampunk in my opinion...especially a sequel of Sky Captain is deserving as its a brilliant film and captures a certain gothic element in it like what you find in a Verne's novel!

« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 09:07:40 pm by andrew craven » Logged
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 09:03:16 pm »

Okay that last sentence made no real sense to me.

Some issues of Hellboy had it. Perhaps also Atomic Robo, I haven´t really looked at that.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 09:12:46 pm »

Even if they are not dieselpunk, the two movies Gattaca and Equilibrium are science fiction movies with a 1930s look to them. One even features a recreation of Speer´s Olympia stadium.
aligov
Zeppelin Captain

Gravatar

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 09:26:34 pm »

Do we include Post Apocalypse Diesel/Petrol/GasPunk too?
TankGirl
Mad Max
hell,even the epic that was Waterworld  these could come under the umberella of Dieselpunk .
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 09:32:13 pm »

No, I think we´re going with the other kind of dieselpunk.
andrew craven
Snr. Officer

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2011, 09:35:47 pm »

It doesnt really matter...world war one and two was historically an apocalypse in anycase...so it all omnipotently comes together and thats the beauty of steampunk! Multi-Anachronautical aesthetics!
aligov
Zeppelin Captain

Gravatar

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2011, 09:39:09 pm »

Okay then-I'll just add

Dark City then and possibly Franklyn.
Clockwork Lemur
Gunner

Evil clockwork machine-beasts make great pets....

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2011, 11:21:40 pm »

If you can get hold of a copy, PG Chadwick's The Death Guard (pub.1939) is very dieselpunkish - flying aircraft carriers, vat-grown artificial soldiers, electric weapons, etc. Unfortunately, the first print run was destroyed in a bombing raid and it only had a very minor second run in 1992.

On a more whimsical note, would a show set in an alternative 1930s with triplane-flying air pirates, huge Art Deco buildings, airborne carrier ships, clunky robots, the occasional mad scientist, magic idols and experimental technology count as dieselpunk? If so, then Disney's Talespin definitely qualifies!  Smiley
andrew craven
Snr. Officer

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 10:00:40 am »

If you can get hold of a copy, PG Chadwick's The Death Guard (pub.1939) is very dieselpunkish - flying aircraft carriers, vat-grown artificial soldiers, electric weapons, etc. Unfortunately, the first print run was destroyed in a bombing raid and it only had a very minor second run in 1992.

On a more whimsical note, would a show set in an alternative 1930s with triplane-flying air pirates, huge Art Deco buildings, airborne carrier ships, clunky robots, the occasional mad scientist, magic idols and experimental technology count as dieselpunk? If so, then Disney's Talespin definitely qualifies!  Smiley

Oooh the Death Guard..that sounds very pioneering where science fiction concepts go. I shall have to ahve a goose of the gander at that.

Not only 'Talespin' but also the Ghibli Studio anime 'Porko Rosso'! 'Laputa Castle in the Sky' from the same studio also has those dieselpunk elements in there.
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

A.K.A. Scanner Camera Builder

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2011, 10:26:59 am »

Even if they are not dieselpunk, the two movies Gattaca and Equilibrium are science fiction movies with a 1930s look to them. One even features a recreation of Speer´s Olympia stadium.

I've seen Equilibrium last weekend. The fight scene is absurd but awesome.  Grin

When I think of Dieselpunk I'm thinking russian vehicles.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The best way to learn is by personal experience.
aldebaran
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

clfornax
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2011, 10:50:40 am »

Russian, you say? Then I say, "Soviet Pimp in da house!" Here's my husband dieseling it up...again and again.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Author of Fornax Rising
Samuel Crowe
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Order of the Watch and Rose

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2011, 02:28:38 pm »

Dieselpunk is a fantastic sub-aesthetic within or attached to steampunk.

That's selling Dieselpunk short. Dieselpunk has just as vibrant and full "aesthetic" as Steampunk. It's good that there is some overlap that allows the two to co-exist.

Let's not forget all the Indy movies(except the last one, Atomicpunk), Mutant Chronicles, and Call of Cthulhu.

Samuel Crowe

Adventurer of Science, Explorer of the Arcane.
andrew craven
Snr. Officer

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2011, 07:47:49 pm »

That's selling Dieselpunk short. Dieselpunk has just as vibrant and full "aesthetic" as Steampunk. It's good that there is some overlap that allows the two to co-exist.

I dont mean to sell Dieselpunk short, I had always thought it developed from steampunk as a subculture, if dieselpunk can be considered as its own subculture!? To me it would be a shame if it was to be segregated...its just another point in time for creative inspiration. Steampunk being more commonplace. Which ever time you fit in has never really been my concern as to me its all about alternative fashion nonetheless. Be inspired from where ever as you may, no matter the history.

bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

A.K.A. Scanner Camera Builder

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2011, 08:00:55 pm »

@aldebaran: I love the art nouveau, the absurd and overdone vehicles and some of the clothes. What I don't appreciate is the reference to WWII. Ofcourse, it is a huge part of the period Dieselpunk is mostly taking part, but to me it is a bit to fresh in our memory. Than again, I could be wrong about the war reference. Are there DP clothes that don't have anything to do with WWII?
andrew craven
Snr. Officer

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2011, 08:18:01 pm »

@aldebaran: I love the art nouveau, the absurd and overdone vehicles and some of the clothes. What I don't appreciate is the reference to WWII. Ofcourse, it is a huge part of the period Dieselpunk is mostly taking part, but to me it is a bit to fresh in our memory. Than again, I could be wrong about the war reference. Are there DP clothes that don't have anything to do with WWII?

I dont know about that....Despite all what happened in that chaos, its still quite a substantial point of inspiration in dieselpunk. You have reenactors who dress up in all the armies even as the disreputable SS. And it is found in the fetish and industrial goth scenes too. I must say I myself is attending a World War 2 weekend event with my steampunker girlfriend that is held up here in the north of England near Manchester in a countryside village where they filmed the movie 'Yanks'. The event is named after the film and its a great family affair as you have people dress up in all the military gear of all sides including civilian wears from the period and you have the hardcore reenactors and enthusiasts driving around in jeeps and other military vehicles and even classic cars too.
 An old school classmate of mine is one of the organisation team and he does the 101st Airborne and has his own jeep too as well as the field uniform including Thompson sub-machine gun. I have never done it properly before but this year I intend to go as a POW Luftwaffe Pilot. I already had the jodphurs and boots that I use in my steampunk wardrobe. It was a spontaneous idea as i had this old leather black jacket that was still airing in my store cupboard as it was a bit smelly when I bought it for three quid in a vintage shop. Knowing it looked the Luftwaffe business I just got the badge and shoulder boards and am very much there. But I must say I do wonder whether I ought to gatecrash as a Clanker/steampunker on one of the days?
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2011, 08:32:10 pm »

Bicyclebuilder: Not all the dieselpunk stuff has to do with the war. Look at Sky Captain as mentioned earlier.
andrew craven
Snr. Officer

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2011, 09:03:13 pm »

Bicyclebuilder: Not all the dieselpunk stuff has to do with the war. Look at Sky Captain as mentioned earlier.

Indeed it doesnt...but it doesnt just have to be like Sky Captain neither! Smiley
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2011, 09:05:34 pm »

It was what is known as an example.
andrew craven
Snr. Officer

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2011, 09:07:30 pm »

It was what is known as an example.

Ahh Smiley
aldebaran
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

clfornax
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2011, 12:10:00 am »

This. My husband is more of a Cold War-era collector. A lot of the stuff he has is from the 80s (Afghanistan campaign). He doesn't have any USSR gear from WWII.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 03:34:05 am by aldebaran » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: