The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 23, 2017, 04:06:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Poll
Question: What activity(s) would you like to do in SP clothes?
Go to a tea? - 43 (11.3%)
Attend a formal dance ball? - 26 (6.8%)
Attend a masked dance ball? - 30 (7.9%)
Ride a steam locomotive? - 46 (12.1%)
Take a steamboat cruise? - 33 (8.7%)
Compete in a "cowboy" shoot? - 9 (2.4%)
Attend a con? - 39 (10.3%)
Visit Victorian historic sites? - 30 (7.9%)
Go on a crosscountry trek? - 12 (3.2%)
Ride a horse drawn carriage/sliegh? - 13 (3.4%)
Play airsoft? - 8 (2.1%)
Go shopping? - 9 (2.4%)
Go to work? - 21 (5.5%)
Take an airship cruise? - 61 (16.1%)
Total Voters: 147

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (POLL) What would you really like to do in SteamPunk clothes?  (Read 5358 times)
Captain
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

The noblest pleasure is the joy of understanding.

« on: June 16, 2011, 07:47:46 pm »

What else?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 05:07:42 pm by Captain » Logged

-Karl
Dr Fidelius
Zeppelin Admiral

Professor of Applied Paleontology, Miskatonic U.

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 08:27:54 pm »

I find this an odd question, and one which I do not believe I can answer in any meaningful way.
My "SteamPunk" clothes are my clothes; I have been wearing vests, tweed, hats and carrying a pocketwatch for years.  I have no special clothes for "SteamPunk" except for the pair of goggles I purchased last year.  The goggles let me differentiate between when I am "dressed up" and when I am just dressed.
So, everything I do is done in my "SteamPunk" clothes, with greater or fewer gewgaws and frippery depending on the occasion.

The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
rhylla
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

The Navigator

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 08:33:01 pm »

a shorter list might be what would i NOT do in Steampunk clothes Cheesy

-Rhylla-

Navigator of the Airship Tartan Crow (and the reason why we generally travel in the wrong direction!)
andrew craven
Snr. Officer

Clanker Zep Kapitan...From Prussia with Love

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 09:11:00 pm »

Dance to Gary Numan steampunked up with UV and lazors and a smoke machine...and perhaps Rik Mayal chucking us a pint of Bombardier from the bar....thats what I wana do..Oh Yeh!
Corroded Alloy
Zeppelin Admiral
Wales Wales

JacobTheunissen
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 09:33:57 pm »

I concur with the Doctor. I didn’t know my clothes were Steampunk until I came across the term not so long ago.
So every activity I do is done in my “SP” clothes. Except of course for the activities I do without clothes!  Grin

Small though it is, the human brain can be quite effective when used properly.
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 09:55:51 pm »

Rik Mayal chucking us a pint of Bombardier from the bar....thats what I wana do..Oh Yeh!

HUZZAH!!

Personally I go to work in my steampunk clothes!

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 11:07:07 pm »

To be fair I dress Edwardian pretty much all the time.  Thus I have already achieved the following in SP/period attire:

- Climbed a mountain
- Ridden a locomotive footplate (and, as my avatar shows, a locomotive running plate as well)
- Attended a ball/ masquerade
- Gone to work/ university lectures
- Cross-country hiked
- Camped out
- Attended museum exhibitions and art galleries
- And pretty much all of the little mundane activities that keep life ticking over in normal service.

There is, in short, no event in life that does not have me considering what would be an appropriate Edwardian outfit for it. 

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Prof Ainsworth Halfmain
Snr. Officer

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 12:11:25 am »

I have done more than a few of those, and some quite frequently for over a decade (cowboy shoots at CAS/SASS events are fun, the Order of Edwardian Gunners events even moreso). In fact, cowboy shooters use almost any reasonable excuse to dress in their finest and finagle some sort of event for it. About 60 of us did a Christmas dinner cruise on a riverboat once.  

I've been to period subject movies, lectures, Victorian/Edwardian period music concerts, holiday events, and museums in what is best described as "day casual" steampunk attire even before I knew what steampunk was.  

I think a retro science fair or technology museum would be interesting. Certainly book readings would be interesting events.

And I would like to try a classic driven game hunt in Edwardian style (although I did do a quail/pheasant hunt in Scottish kilt/field attire once). Perhaps flycasting with a classic two handed salmon rod on a good run in Victorian/Edwardian style would be fun, or driving a vintage pre-1905 motor carriage, or attending the opera in formal Victorian attire, or flying in a biplane as more of a pre-WWI dieselpunk.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 12:20:10 am by Prof Ainsworth Halfmain » Logged

Believe me, there exists no such dilemma as that in which a gentleman is placed when he is forced to reply to a blackguard. ~Edgar Allan Poe
Guinevere Meander
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 12:18:42 am »

I find this an odd question, and one which I do not believe I can answer in any meaningful way.
My "SteamPunk" clothes are my clothes; I have been wearing vests, tweed, hats and carrying a pocketwatch for years.  I have no special clothes for "SteamPunk" except for the pair of goggles I purchased last year.  The goggles let me differentiate between when I am "dressed up" and when I am just dressed.
So, everything I do is done in my "SteamPunk" clothes, with greater or fewer gewgaws and frippery depending on the occasion.

yep! same here

"...it was here just a minute ago!"  Motto of the lovely Lady Guinevere Meander
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 05:08:30 pm »

I added "Go to work?" and I set this up so that folks can vote for up to three. 
Prof Ainsworth Halfmain
Snr. Officer

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 05:39:08 pm »

I guess sail on one of the magnificent America's Cup J-boats is out, since there really aren't many of those left.

But I would have added an airship ride, or more realistically hot air ballooning.
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 06:36:20 pm »

There are certain things I wil NOT do in my normal steampunk attire:

1. Anything mucky, i.e. painting, muddy activities, cooking unless the clothes are made for that task (inky shirt, knee high boots or Victorian apron respectively).

2. Anything remotely Victorian. I hate it when Mr C and I go to visit a castle, stately home etc and endless people kept asking us about the sites, or who we were "supposed" to be. It really annoys me. I know it is no-ones fault but the more historically accurate a place is, the less steampunk I will be!

3. Anything connected with work. I keep my steampunk and my day job seperate.

Every time you say "cog" when you mean "gear" or "sprocket", Cthulu kills a kitten. 

www.etsy.com/shop/celticroseart
Herr Döktor
Gadgeteer, Contraptionist, and Inventor, FVSS
Governor
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 08:53:28 pm »

1. Anything mucky, i.e. painting, muddy activities, cooking unless the clothes are made for that task (inky shirt, knee high boots or Victorian apron respectively).

2. Anything remotely Victorian. I hate it when Mr C and I go to visit a castle, stately home etc and endless people kept asking us about the sites, or who we were "supposed" to be. It really annoys me. I know it is no-ones fault but the more historically accurate a place is, the less steampunk I will be!

When you say "anything mucky", does that include...

No, no.

Never mind.

Wink

industrial victorian fox
Deck Hand

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2011, 09:05:38 pm »

i want to select them all.  Embarrassed

welcome to my hall, I am the mountain king.
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2011, 09:14:15 pm »

No, no.

Never mind.

Wink

Oh no, I DEFINATELY do THAT in my steampunk attire.
Herr Döktor
Gadgeteer, Contraptionist, and Inventor, FVSS
Governor
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2011, 09:17:34 pm »

No, no.

Never mind.

Wink

Oh no, I DEFINATELY do THAT in my steampunk attire.

But does that include the knee high boots?

Smiley
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2011, 09:24:48 pm »

Real men do it in Union Suits.

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2011, 10:28:58 pm »

But does that include the knee high boots?

Smiley

That depends entirely on the company I am keeping.....
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2011, 05:54:36 pm »

People wearing SP style clothes every day is still rare locally.  Maybe there needs to be a poll for what you would not wear SP for?  Visiting a nudist beach?  Painting the bathroom? 
Samilyn
Deck Hand

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2011, 08:34:21 pm »

I would like to do all of the things mentioned, except go to work. 

I don't care much for work, no matter what sort of clothes I'm wearing.  Tongue
Blake
Gunner

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2011, 11:28:10 pm »

I'd probably like to do most of those things in sp, just 3 is a hard choice to make, I wouldn't go to the job I have at the moment in sp.
I think I'm slowly changing my normal day clothes over, giving it a more sp look although this is a very slow process at the mo.

lost in thought, not vacated the premises.
Guinevere Meander
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2011, 10:45:40 am »

Things I don't do in SP attire: doctor visits and any appointments in government offices when I have to apply for something, but the DMV has been good in SP for passing the time  Grin Cheesy
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2011, 11:06:09 am »

My band plans to shoot a video which consists of us playing paintball in a city against each other whilst doing parkour withe me turning up for the occasion in a top hat and tailcoat, joke being I thought they said 'park walk'...

I think I should also mention I had a dream about this game, only Bailey was a woman...

I assure you, that incident in Singapore was all a misunderstanding.
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2011, 01:34:16 pm »

I like getting dirty in pretty clothes, so I will do pretty much anything all dolled up, Steampunk or not. About the only requirement is that it looks like fun (my kind of fun is not always easily identifiable, but it's awesome!)

And I think the biggest problem we're coming up against here is that, for some, Steampunk Attire is a costume and tends to be more outlandish (this seems to be most common out here in the colonies), while for others, it's a more subtle, everyday thing. Personally, I'm somewhere in the middle of that. Neither way is right or wrong, it's just important to note where both sides are coming from.

And Darkshines, I completely understand your unwillingness to go to period places all steamy. Being mistaken for a tour guide or a site actor is amusing once or twice, but gets old amazingly fast.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 01:35:56 pm by The Abiliegh » Logged

Action! Adventure! Possible Harlotry!
Abis do it for SCIENCE!
BrassGoggles 2012 Pin-Up Calander!
Jane_Faye
Deck Hand

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2011, 01:38:39 pm »

Presumably 'take someone else's Steampunk clothing OFF' would be a vulgar answer? Wink

Just sayin', this style being frankly one of the most attractive a gentleman can possibly wear...!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: