The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 21, 2017, 05:05:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: You know you've been on this forum too long . . .  (Read 5237 times)
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2011, 10:52:58 pm »

When you begin to have difficulty separating yourself from your persona, especially as regards thoughts to which no one save yourself need be privy....as in "Did I think that, or did Thistlewaite think that?"
That's actually one of the reasons I had to drop off of here for awhile...I was beginning to think I was going to need professional help to get the Sgt. Major out of my head...I could spend days in character without really thinking about it.
It was when I decided that I liked being him better than I liked being me that I realized I was carrying things too far. That's how people end up in asylums....no, no....real asylums.

Grin

Yet well thy soul hath brooked the turning tide, with that innate, untaught philosophy,Which, be it wisdom, coldness, or deep pride, is gall and wormwood to an enemy.
BrethrenAndBetrayer
Snr. Officer
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2011, 04:17:59 pm »

... when the term "steamy" no longer sounds dirty.

-Brethren

You know its gonna be a good session when the tech priest rides into battle on the back of a gun-servitor.

There is an extra gear in The Great Machine of the cosmos tonight.
In memory of Richard 'Datamancer' Nagy - 2013
Lady Ava
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Gravatar

Adventurer, Dress-maker and General All-Round Awesome.

electrogirlak
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2011, 11:54:17 pm »

When you refuse to accept that the people you know from the forum have names outside their forum presence:
eg:   *another steampunk introducing a muggle to me*    I have no idea of this ladies real name, but we know her as Ava, so call her that!
me: my name is ash.
SP:  Nuh-uh, Ava!

''I'm a loose bolt in a complete machine. What a match! I'm half-doomed and you're semi-sweet.''
‎"You want steampunk to be a novelty, a LOLcat, a meme. I want it to be my life. Which of us is going to fight harder for it?" - Dimitri Markotin
*DISCLAIMER*     This dungeon is fictional, and any similarities to other dungeons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

http://www.facebook.com/antevortefashion
Mention you're from BG when ordering for free shipping!
Prof_Von_Grumbleflick
Snr. Officer

London & Western Home Counties Steampunk Society

« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2011, 02:58:50 am »

When you refuse to accept that the people you know from the forum have names outside their forum presence:
eg:   *another steampunk introducing a muggle to me*    I have no idea of this ladies real name, but we know her as Ava, so call her that!

Oh, I've done that too many times.

Alternatively, Too often I introduce myself as Steve, usually after finding out their BG handle and going "Aaaaaahhh, I know you!". Normally leaving them walking away thinking "Nutter".

I'm absolutely bloody awful with names. Terrible, so people having TWO names to remember is a nightmare! Coupled with the fact that I do NOT fare well in social situations at all, I tend to embarrass myself quite comedically.

No matter how far you push the envelope, it remains stationery
Lord Wraste
Zeppelin Overlord
United States United States

I'm so sneaky even I don't know what I'm up to.

« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2011, 01:35:46 pm »

Alternatively, Too often I introduce myself as Steve, usually after finding out their BG handle and going "Aaaaaahhh, I know you!". Normally leaving them walking away thinking "Nutter".

I'm absolutely bloody awful with names. Terrible, so people having TWO names to remember is a nightmare! Coupled with the fact that I do NOT fare well in social situations at all, I tend to embarrass myself quite comedically.
This is the bit of Steampunk that reminds me of medieval reenacting. Everyone had a persona. There are people I've known for over 10 years, no idea what their real name is. And they don't know mine either! Cheesy

Ava/Ash, It's funny to me that you use "Muggle" for non Steampunks. Funny because, when I was doing the medieval thing, we always called the non-reenactors "Mundanes." A term that I believe was coined by the author Peirce Anthony in his Xanth fantasy series. Mundanes were the folk from the land outside of the kingdom of Xanth that were born without magic. Similar, ja? Grin

ON TOPIC!
When you go to a convection and before you finish introducing yourself the person you're talking to says, "Oh yes, I know who you are."
Happened quite a few times at the first Steampunk World's Fair....
Lady Ava
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

Adventurer, Dress-maker and General All-Round Awesome.

electrogirlak
« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2011, 01:41:43 pm »

Yes! And when people walk upto you and are all "You're [brassgoggleshandle], aren't you?! I was reading your post about [subject] and thought it was good/bad/other!"
Lord Wraste
Zeppelin Overlord

I'm so sneaky even I don't know what I'm up to.

« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2011, 01:48:09 pm »

Yes! And when people walk upto you and are all "You're [brassgoggleshandle], aren't you?! I was reading your post about [subject] and thought it was good/bad/other!"
HA! That happened quite a bit when we still had the singles thread and the Lonely Gear.
It happens less now that I'm not as active. Wink
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2011, 09:58:25 am »

...when you realize you've been here long enough to travel around the world and then have a nice, relaxing cup of tea.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2011, 11:26:26 am »

When you know more about MWBailey's dulcimer society schedule than you do about your own school timetable...

I think I should also mention I had a dream about this game, only Bailey was a woman...

I assure you, that incident in Singapore was all a misunderstanding.
Blake
Gunner

« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2011, 09:05:15 pm »

Your not alone, takes me ages to remember names. 2 names; I think I'm doomed and even when I remember a persons name it's normally after I've spoken to them and walked away.

lost in thought, not vacated the premises.
T.Taylor the Third
Zeppelin Admiral

A Crazy man

thethirdtea
« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2011, 06:54:40 am »

When you realize that even though you've been here a long time....you still feel like a newby

-“I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge.”
BrethrenAndBetrayer
Snr. Officer
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2011, 12:48:01 pm »

When you realize that even though you've been here a long time....you still feel like a newby

Yep, I feel that too.

-Brethren
OswaldBastable
Zeppelin Admiral

Not in front of the men..................

« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2011, 01:13:40 pm »

eg:   *another steampunk introducing a muggle to me*    I have no idea of this ladies real name, but we know her as Ava, so call her that!
SP:  Nuh-uh, Ava!

Your not alone, takes me ages to remember names. 2 names; I think I'm doomed and even when I remember a persons name it's normally after I've spoken to them and walked away.

3rded its a minor miracle for me to remember names quickly (especially when they have two); I'm often worried people find it insulting you dont remember there name

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2011, 01:58:23 pm »

When you know more about MWBailey's dulcimer society schedule than you do about your own school timetable...

When people on here know your dulcimer society event schedule as minutely as you do... Wink

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
greensteam
Zeppelin Captain

Steamed up from birth

« Reply #64 on: July 17, 2011, 03:31:18 pm »

All of the above.

When, despite media warnings to the contrary, you are inclined to assume total strangers on other continents will actually be not only totally safe to meet but will also be happy to see you if you contact them through BG.

Brown: there is a good (non-SP) reason why it is preferrable for blogs, fora, and other text based reading: the colours are more restful on the eyes, dont confuse the colour blind and buff is the reccommended background colour to help dyslexics read more easily without the letters leaping about the page.

There is a good deal of talk above of 'persona' and 'in-character' as if we were pretending to be someone we arent. This is not the case here, although I accept that it might well be so in the re-enactment worlds. Steampunk is a whole set of cultural features that we just happen to have found suit who we already are. Where does pretending come into it? Are you pretending you prefer beautifully made clothes, lovely polished wood and brass? Shurely not.

This is the real thing, even if for external reasons we may perhaps not wear our fullest regalia all the time.

So it's every hand to his rope or gun, quick's the word and sharp's the action. After all... Surprise is on our side.
Mahogany
Officer

« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2011, 04:36:36 pm »

3rded its a minor miracle for me to remember names quickly (especially when they have two); I'm often worried people find it insulting you dont remember there name

Same here.  I've had a person tell me their name three times in one meeting and when they've left, I ask my friend, "What's her name again?"  I don't know what it is about names and not remembering.  I tell people that I remember people more than I remember names.  And I'm SO happy when someone says, "I'm sorry, I'm terrible with names . . . What's yours again?"  It means I'm not alone!  Grin
greensteam
Zeppelin Captain

Steamed up from birth

« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2011, 05:26:29 pm »

Same here.  I've had a person tell me their name three times in one meeting and when they've left, I ask my friend, "What's her name again?"  I don't know what it is about names and not remembering.  I tell people that I remember people more than I remember names.  And I'm SO happy when someone says, "I'm sorry, I'm terrible with names . . . What's yours again?"  It means I'm not alone!  Grin

I am appalling at this and getting worse. I recently let myself get introduced to someone I have been working beside for 5 years - I didnt realise quickly enough and she was gracious enough to pretend it never happened. There is an excellent documentary by Oliver Sachs on the BBC Iplayer about this.
inigo jameson-gatling
Officer
Iceland Iceland

lofthussar

« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2011, 10:43:52 pm »

You have discovered the translation of steampunk in ten other languages.

I am still learning the ropes here but for Tinkergirl's page http://brassgoggles.co.uk/blog/brief-steampunk-faq/ I have another language for her.
In that íslenska (icelandic) has to have a word of its own for everything "steampunk" it has become gufupönk and even wikipedia has a page http://is.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gufupönk to describe the concept, quite understandably the page is nowhere near as informative as the english language version. Although we still know and use "steampunk".

You cannot complain about the sky if you suffer airshipwreck for the second time.
Mechanic
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

« Reply #68 on: July 18, 2011, 04:45:31 pm »

When you come back to the forum after an extended absence and realize that while everything is different, nothing has changed and that is not a bad thing. Wink

Steampunk is in the eye of the beholder, in the hands of the tinkerer and in the needle of the costumer.
Miss Ardith Algor
Gunner

« Reply #69 on: July 18, 2011, 05:58:08 pm »

when most of your knowledge on world affairs was learned on the forum

to boldly write what no one has written before
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2011, 07:30:28 pm »

When you spend two hours of your day happily searching the web for a plastic clockwork Penny Farthing....not for yourself but because you read someone else couldn't find one. And you haven't even met the person let alone been properly introduced. Grin

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Mahogany
Officer

« Reply #71 on: July 18, 2011, 07:38:08 pm »

When you spend two hours of your day happily searching the web for a plastic clockwork Penny Farthing....not for yourself but because you read someone else couldn't find one. And you haven't even met the person let alone been properly introduced. Grin

Just two hours?  Either you finally found it or got distracted. Tongue
Augustus Longeye
Daedric Prince of Biscuits
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #72 on: July 18, 2011, 07:38:28 pm »

I've done that before, but after about ten minutes it becomes more a personal affront that I can't find it, and the fact someone else wants it as well is a coincidence Wink
~Longeye~

Quote from: Sir Nikolas
I say you, chaps down there! Piss off, see? Haa ha! Love, Space Longeye <3
greensteam
Zeppelin Captain

Steamed up from birth

« Reply #73 on: July 18, 2011, 11:39:09 pm »

When you find yourself baffled at the end of a long argument with a relative that you cannot convince them that people you have never met in the flesh are neverthelss actual friends.

@Rockula: thanks for all your efforts in the Great Pennyfarthing Hunt. Do you require me to facilitate formal introductions? Shurely not!
DrArclight
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #74 on: July 19, 2011, 08:36:45 pm »

When you begin to have difficulty separating yourself from your persona, especially as regards thoughts to which no one save yourself need be privy....as in "Did I think that, or did Thistlewaite think that?"
That's actually one of the reasons I had to drop off of here for awhile...I was beginning to think I was going to need professional help to get the Sgt. Major out of my head...I could spend days in character without really thinking about it.
It was when I decided that I liked being him better than I liked being me that I realized I was carrying things too far. That's how people end up in asylums....no, no....real asylums.

Grin

Funny you should mention this...  Lately I've caught myself slipping into character and accent mid conversation or even mid sentence.  In fact, I was talking to to a friend yesterday and we were discussing one of my past relationships and some news I recently heard about that person and my friend asks me how I felt about that and part of my reply was this bit:  "It's strange, but lately I don't really feel like the same person I was anymore.  Or actually that's maybe not the best way of describing it. It's more like I'm more "me" than I used to be."

She immediately knew exactly what I meant.  Since I've been spending so much time as Dr. Arclight, whether it be on here, in costume at cons, or just working on writing the back story, I've been a lot happier.  The bouts of depression I used to have trouble with are not as frequent or as severe, and in general I'm dealing with life better.  What I'm discovering is that Dr. Arclight is who I've always been inside but Life and Circumstance has always kept me in a bit of a cage.

(For some reason the scene in Mystery Men where Blue Raja explains himself to his mother just popped into my head and I'm now having trouble taking myself seriously.  :-P)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: