The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 24, 2017, 10:45:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: You know you've been on this forum too long . . .  (Read 5243 times)
Mahogany
Officer
United States United States

« on: June 15, 2011, 11:33:36 pm »

. . . when you finally go outside and you can see a steampunk equivillant for everything.

(Not like that's a bad thing. Tongue )
Augustus Longeye
Daedric Prince of Biscuits
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 11:49:32 pm »

When you have those two little orange gears? Wink
(kidding, I want a pair Cheesy)
~Longeye~

Quote from: Sir Nikolas
I say you, chaps down there! Piss off, see? Haa ha! Love, Space Longeye <3
Dr Fidelius
Zeppelin Admiral

Professor of Applied Paleontology, Miskatonic U.

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 01:07:36 am »

I was going to say "When you look up and realize you've been promoted to a freakin' Admiral."

The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
Lord Wraste
Zeppelin Overlord

I'm so sneaky even I don't know what I'm up to.

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 02:02:14 am »

When you realize that you've not posted in long enough that when you post in a thread all of the other people participating would think you were new here if it wasn't for your rank....
Lady Chrystal
Master Tinkerer
Wales Wales

Lady Adventurer, Chronicler

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 07:40:54 am »

When you realise you've been a Steampunk for years but didn't know such a thing existed.

"The Chrystal? Ah, now - that would be telling."
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 07:46:23 am »

Guilty across the board.  When you find yourself thinking in character outside the forum.

What do we want? Decapitations!
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 08:59:53 am »

... when you realise that your 'time spent online' counter is perhaps better expressed in terms of months rather than days.

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 09:51:33 am »

When you start thinking 'Hey! Didn't somebody ask that question about 6 months ago in the 'pick thread title' thread'? And then you start searching for ancient posts so that you can pass on the accumulated knowledge. Grin

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Major Willoughby Chase
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 09:56:36 am »

When you start thinking 'Hey! Didn't somebody ask that question about 6 months ago in the 'pick thread title' thread'? And then you start searching for ancient posts so that you can pass on the accumulated knowledge. Grin

You mean like this one? Wink

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,28493.0.html
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 10:33:41 am »

You mean like this one? Wink

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,28493.0.html

Ha! Not specifically but a nice example. Grin
engineRmRaphi
Gunner

SteamPink: Eugene V. Debs for President 1912

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 12:57:39 am »

When your SteamPunk persona has become so dominant that you actually attempt to build a Tesla coil, a zeppelin, or a mini-Nautilus out of the junk cars and old appliances strewn across your yard.  While in full costume.     

Wait-- maybe that's how to identify a blue collar steampunk.  Guilty, guilty.  Besides, my work clothes aren't a costume.

Oh, and the mounds of broken beer bottle glass on the porch shimmer so vividly and mesmerizingly in the moonlight that aeronautics becomes possible sans zeppelin.

Raphi Alexandrian, <br />Marine Steam Engineer. <br />Advocate for the laboring classes.<br />Practitioner of the Egyptian mysteries, Hermeticism, & Christian cabala.
Augustus Longeye
Daedric Prince of Biscuits
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 01:04:40 am »

I did this recently Cheesy I know what you mean now!
~Longeye~
Outflyer_Calliope
Snr. Officer

Ashamed by my own magnificence

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 10:08:32 pm »

when the forum/website crashes and you suddenly take up smokeing just so you 'have something to do with your hands'. (Major Chase I am well aware of what your suggestions would be  Grin)

A beautiful piece of nonsense...
Major Willoughby Chase
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, 10:41:36 pm »

Indeed... knitting would pass the time far more productively.
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2011, 10:54:27 pm »

When you realize that you've not posted in long enough that when you post in a thread all of the other people participating would think you were new here if it wasn't for your rank....

Yeah, I'm familiar with that one as well ::grins::

and, on topic:
...When asked about nearly any topic of steampunk in the real world, you find yourself referring to some thread or another from BG to gives examples.

Action! Adventure! Possible Harlotry!
Abis do it for SCIENCE!
BrassGoggles 2012 Pin-Up Calander!
Blake
Gunner

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2011, 11:09:38 pm »

when you start talking steampunk to nonsteampunkers and relise their facial expressions have changed to i dont' have a clue what your going on about. although its good when they're curious and want to know more

lost in thought, not vacated the premises.
Mahogany
Officer

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2011, 05:50:53 pm »

Yeah, I'm familiar with that one as well ::grins::

and, on topic:
...When asked about nearly any topic of steampunk in the real world, you find yourself referring to some thread or another from BG to gives examples.

Oh god!  Just ask any of my friends and they'll tell you, when steampunk is mentioned, so is the phrase, "There's a thread of that on the forum and they say..."
Mechanical Fish
Gunner

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2011, 05:56:43 pm »

When you begin to inject steampunk your school projects.  Lips sealed
Mahogany
Officer

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2011, 06:15:43 pm »

When your parents Spring Clean and you take half of their Good Will pile back to your house because there's gears and coils and othere little treasures hidden away in them.
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2011, 07:42:24 pm »

When you forget you've never actually met these people even though you know half the life story of some of them...

I think I should also mention I had a dream about this game, only Bailey was a woman...

I assure you, that incident in Singapore was all a misunderstanding.
Miles (a sailor)Martin
Zeppelin Admiral

Just a head full of random thoughts

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2011, 02:20:54 pm »

When you realize that you actually have met some of the folks on BG in real life long before you found out about BG.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
it just takes a while to put on-line personalitys together with in-person personalitys... yes i am slow in real life too. Grin

Who you calling old, Sonny boy? Just because my birth certificate is on birch bark there isn't any reason to be calling names.
machinist for hire/ mechanic at large
Warning : minstrel with a five string banjo
Mr Addams
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2011, 02:54:52 pm »

When you have been trying to explain steampunk to somebody, and in the end, you suggest that they take a look at www.brassgoggles.co.uk/forum.
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2011, 03:27:02 pm »

When you realize that you actually have met some of the folks on BG in real life long before you found out about BG.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
it just takes a while to put on-line personalitys together with in-person personalitys... yes i am slow in real life too. Grin

This happens to me a lot, actually. The rest of my life has found it's way onto BG in more than a few suprising manners!

And, another:
When you plan vacations around the opportunity to spend time with people you've met via BG. (There was a very nice evening at The Edison with Sprocket and Sk1n, the soon to come trip to visit Sgt.Major Thistlewaite, a hopeful trip across the pond, and the constant temptation of a certain favorite canadian of mine...)
Sir Nathaniel Wolf
Officer

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2011, 10:19:16 pm »

When you have been trying to explain steampunk to somebody, and in the end, you suggest that they take a look at www.brassgoggles.co.uk/forum.

...ah, this would be me.

Quote from: Birdnest
Steam (love of the romantic view of Victorian-era industrialization) - Punk (I don't really give a damn what you think of my goggles and top hat).
SteamBlast Mary
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

A spanner in the works

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2011, 10:26:56 pm »

... when you have the link printed on you Cartes D'Visite...

Oh, and when friends who haven't been able to get hold of you through the usual channels check you're alive by checking your activity on here.

'I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night’
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: