The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 21, 2017, 04:25:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Leather binding  (Read 3941 times)
OHebel Wring
Snr. Officer
The world is only 80 days away.

« on: March 04, 2007, 07:59:11 pm »

so, has anyone tried to leather-bind something on their own?  Any solid tutorials on this?  Any secret products pages I don't know about?

the books that were posted in this forum have really inspired me.

“The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes. “
-Sherlock Holmes
jauncourt
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 10:07:16 pm »

There are numerous books on the subject, though they are pricey (there is whole series of books on fine bookbinding that are about 30 dollars each), and there is a nice DIY how-to in MAKE (not sure of the issue). Here is a google search on the subject.
Andy_W
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 12:07:56 am »

http://www.brassgoggles.co.uk/bg-forum/index.php?topic=205.0 perhaps this person could be of help?
OHebel Wring
Snr. Officer

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 12:47:44 am »

yeah, that's the guy who got me thinking about this issue.

that stuff is incredible, and I was wondering if anyone else out there has done basic leather working...
CapnHarlock
Zeppelin Overlord
United States United States

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 04:24:10 am »

The following is a _very_ introductory link on bookbinding that may be of some assistance.
http://www.mothteeth.com/bookmaking/

It is a shame my father is no longer around to ask for tips - he as a master hand bookbinder and did a lot of restoration work on rare volumes. The old boy would have enjoyed Steampunk.

Jeremiah Cornelius Harlock
At Your Service

"It's so hard to know if you're bound for a fall,
But better to have tripped than never danced at all."
"Dancing Under The Rose" - The Albion Band.
Datamancer
Hero of The Realm
Zeppelin Captain

Gomi no sensei

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 11:51:05 am »

I've been shopping around lately for some higher-end materials to make a small batch of my Opti-Transcripticons for selling and have been finding a lot of good leather on ebay, of all places. There are a few sellers that have beautiful kid-skin hides in a variety of colors and sizes for a mere $15-20 or so. It's pretty cool because they are actual hides that are still in goat-shaped sheets that you have to trim down. The metal book corners I used are actually scrapbook embellishments by a company called 7 Gypsies. Most craft stores stock 7 Gypsies products, but for some reason I couldnt find those particular corners anywhere so I just ordered them online. $5 for a pack of 8 and they come in pewter, brass, antiqued brass, and copper, I believe.

Best of luck! Be sure to post pics of whatever you make.
-~D~-

“I'm not a paranoid deranged millionaire. Goddamit, I'm a billionaire.” - Howard Hughes
OHebel Wring
Snr. Officer

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 12:09:41 pm »

right on man, thanks everyone for the tips...

photos to follow (after a healthy phase of material collection)
ClockworkDragonfly
Deck Hand

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 02:59:54 am »

yeah, that's the guy who got me thinking about this issue.

that stuff is incredible, and I was wondering if anyone else out there has done basic leather working...

I've done quite a bit of leather working in the past. After a bit of a hiatus due to all my tools (leather, maille, woodoworking and blacksmithing... that was a sad time indeed) being stolen almost a year ago, I'm just now getting back into it.
Chitin
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 04:52:29 am »

I'm actually a pretty serious leather worker... no specific advice on bookbinding that doesn't pertain to making anything else in leather.  There are several books over at http://www.tandyleather.com.  You want anything on leather carving if you want to decorate your cover.  You might also want to check out the kind folks over at http://www.leatherworker.net.  Actual bookbinding is, from what I understand, really really time consuming and annoying - but if you want to put your own cover on an existing book, Tandy actually has a kit for that: http://www.tandyleather.com/products.asp?number=4181-00.

Edited to add: There seems to be a pretty good "beginner" tutorial here, but I haven't used it and don't know if it would work on anything but magazines: http://www.johan-potgieter.com/bin02.htm.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 05:43:43 am by Chitin » Logged
WisconsinPlatt
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007, 01:13:40 pm »

Edited to add: There seems to be a pretty good "beginner" tutorial here, but I haven't used it and don't know if it would work on anything but magazines: http://www.johan-potgieter.com/bin02.htm.

That does llok like a good tutorial.  Somewhere I have a tutorial on making the "Magazines" of pages that go in a book.  I'll see if I can dig that up an post it later.
ClockworkDragonfly
Deck Hand

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2007, 01:22:51 pm »

That tutorial will work on anything you've got. Fact is that when you boil it down to basics, that's all there is to bookbinding. Stitches may vary, I usually use a two needle cobbler's stitch and don't interlock my signatures the way that tutorial says (though I may try it to see how beneficial it might be), but that's not really an issue. The only exception is "perfect" binding where each double sided page is on an individual sheet rather than two on a folded sheet, but "perfect" bound books often lack durability as they're only held together by glue. Perfect indeed... harrumph.
duck arrow types
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2007, 02:46:49 pm »

I've had to learn an awful lot about archival bookbinding methods for making my Daguerreotype cases.  I get most of my supplies from the excellent bookbinding store called Talas in NYC.  I've attended one class (on gold tooling) at the Center for Book Arts which was enlightening.  The CBA has all kinds of great classes about bookbinding which you may find very useful.
OHebel Wring
Snr. Officer

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2007, 03:00:07 pm »

I guess the thing is, I have been trying to think of a way to safely leather-bind my laptop (Macbook Pro 17") since I got it.  Although the typical Apple thing is nice, it doesn't fit with the motiv of ANYTHING else in my apartment. (Shelves of leatherbound books, etc)

Problem is the hinge, I was hoping to get some hints though these websites, but am coming up empty.

any thoughts?
duck arrow types
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2007, 03:42:28 pm »

THIN leather is they key for turnovers and hinges like that.  You can buy something called skiver leather which is exceptionally thin or you can thin it yourself with some special tools (leather skiving machine, Scharf-Fix, etc.).  I have a Scarf-Fix and it's absolutely indispensable.

This is the closest commercial product that I could find for you.  The leather looks a little like nu-buck or ultrasuede but you could use it as a template and then leather-cover THAT...
OHebel Wring
Snr. Officer

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2007, 03:57:27 pm »

Thanks a lot for the help.

will let you know how it turns out.  The other option would be to construct a frame and leatherbind the frame and then install that on the laptop.

the goal would eventually make the thing look like a book, somehow.
duck arrow types
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2007, 05:27:15 pm »

will let you know how it turns out.  The other option would be to construct a frame and leatherbind the frame and then install that on the laptop.

That seems to be exactly what that U-suit product is: an ABS plastic frame wrapped in leather.

I've been lusting after the Sony e-Reader lately.  I want to buy one so that I can turn it into my own Propadeutic Enchiridion (from Stephenson's The Diamond Age).  I wrote a little program to synchronize Wikipedia's text updates but the problem is that Wikipedia is friggin enormous!  When you add in the images, the entire library is over 80GB.  The plan is to bind it in beautiful calfskin and then gold-tool it.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 05:33:00 pm by duck arrow types » Logged
TheHollowMen
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2007, 07:26:16 pm »

I've done a little leather book binding but then I was given something fantastic by an aunt-in-law.  They're protective leather sleeves to fit books in, embossed with the seals of some Italian noble families.    Very simple to make, they're just one sheet of decorated leather that has had the ends folded over and sewn in to pockets.  One of them larger ones has a couple of elastic bands sewn in too nearer the spine to hold the cover steady. 

If you want I'll get some pictures of the two smaller ones I've got (the originals), the ones I've made are on loan or have been gifts.
OHebel Wring
Snr. Officer

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2007, 11:17:03 pm »

I can see something like that working on the base of the laptop, but the screen is going to be a real pain....  The Macbook Pro only has about 1/2 inch plastic all around the screen-- not much to fold into.
Datamancer
Hero of The Realm
Zeppelin Captain

Gomi no sensei

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2007, 12:13:19 am »

Thanks a lot for the help.

the goal would eventually make the thing look like a book, somehow.

That's what I did with mine and it worked out relatively well.
Teknogrimoire

Sadly, I never finished this project 100% because the laptop died, but you can still see the broad strokes of it on that page.

I made a cover and used velcro to stick it to the laptop so I could remove it for upgrading or repairing the machine. The hinges were then mounted to the cover. If you use hinges you'll need to make some sort of slide mechanism for the top cover though, because the lid is going to hinge slightly lower than the cover, savvy? It doesnt need to move much, just an inch or so. Make sure you keep your exhaust vent clear too. You don't want the machine to overheat.

For the space around the machine, I had the idea of making faux gilded pages. I didn't get to use the idea for that project, but I tucked it away and later used it on the Opti-Transcripticon. If you look at the one 'making-of' photo, you can see the metal frame I used.

Hope that helps!
-~D~-
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: