The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 23, 2017, 02:54:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Missouri Steampunks role call  (Read 4201 times)
jcbanner
Officer
United States United States

« on: May 27, 2011, 07:46:13 am »

I've tried looking though the pages of topics and did a search, but the best I could find was the Midwest topic. I'm looking for those a little closer then an area covering roughly a fourth the country!

Since its a role call I'm calling for,  I suppose a brief introduction is in order, though I go by many names, in these circles I am known as Jack Courvidian Bonvich.  Though my studies are biology, my craft is the tinkerings of a mad scientist, you might find I have a passion for high voltage static induction.  I assure you though, I have no plans of crossing the two fields, it after all seemed to have worked out very poorly to Dr Frankenstein.

I digress.

You'll find my in various places in and around St Louis.  I know there are also a few others here from my area, or at least a manageable distance from it.  lets here from you!  In the midwest topic, I saw a few from the west end of Missouri and a few from the South end, and a surprising amount from the middle of the state, but those here in the east seem surprisingly quite.

And if you know of any steampunk groups in the area, please share!  St Louis does seems to keep everything to itself in closed circles. it gets bloody hard to find out about anything around here.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 08:02:22 am by jcbanner » Logged
Dove
Officer

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 12:39:20 am »

Hi There! I'm from the south west end *not near joplin though* I'm going to school for an A.A degree right now, and I enjoy lots of things. I was thinking of making a post, but was quite shy. Im glad you did though since I couldn't find anything much about missouri.

Lady Lavinea Dreadful
Zeppelin Admiral

Ragamuffin and cad

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 01:28:55 am »

salutations im here in Joplin, right next to ground zero of the tornado damage.

Dove
Officer

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 02:10:07 am »

<3 Lady I do hope you and your loved ones are all ok. We've sent some supplies down there to try and help out. It's sad to hear of a fellow steam in the fray though.
Lady Lavinea Dreadful
Zeppelin Admiral

Ragamuffin and cad

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 02:15:25 am »

me and mine are. my self and my mister have spent the past several days volunteering our time and efforts. my job blew away... so im kinda sad about that. gotta find new work now. got a few flat tires but most of the local shops are fixing them for free. its awe inspiring how much everyone has pulled together as a community.

on a side note my mister is from branson as well. small world...err state Tongue
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 02:17:39 am by Lady Lavinea Dreadful » Logged
jcbanner
Officer

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 05:22:34 am »

Greetings Dove, I'm glad I could be of assistance to you by making the post first. have you been around the forums long? My self I have been mostly an occasional lurker.

Lady Lavinea, my sympathies to those of your home town. the Good Friday storms that swept through St Louis passed 2 miles from me. there was no where near as much destruction as to your town and people are still trying to clean up from that storm.

Dove
Officer

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 05:29:16 am »

Ive only been on a couple of weeks so far, ive had a bit to say but i havent made my own topic yet  Lips sealed Im glad the tornado up there missed you though, I haven't been to near a tornado yet but Im still terrified if them. I wonder if there are more then just us three on here Huh
jcbanner
Officer

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 05:01:22 am »

I know that there's more then just us three,  I have a friend who lives in Columbia that is on the forums here, and I'm positive I've seen a few others from that part of the state.  now to get them to chime in.
Lady Lavinea Dreadful
Zeppelin Admiral

Ragamuffin and cad

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 01:58:08 pm »

for some reason it seems difficult to get Ozark steampunks to connect with others. ive seen other steamy type folk here in joplin....maybe they dont have net access?
dman762000
Zeppelin Admiral

Captain of the pirate Airship Aurelia

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 06:13:23 pm »

Then there is the fact that so many of us from the Ozark  Missouri/Arkansas area are so spread out. Thus far I have counted (on these forums mind you) only 5 who are from Arkansas and scarcely few more from Missouri, I have seen one or two from Memphis. The only problem is that those from Arkansas are spread all across the top half of the state, there is a similar problem for those from Missouri, (being spread mostly along the bottom half of the state) That is a lot of area to cover for so few people and I fear that without some sort of annual event in the area to draw us all together we find it hard to stay in touch. There used to be Ravenwood festival, but that lot turned out to be annoying  trend-jumpers and have moved on to the next big thing and they scarcely even have their "neo-victorian" nights anymore. What we really need is something to bring us all together in real life. I think that ozarkian people value that interpersonal connection that comes from knowing someone from meeting.

By the way, I live in the extreme northern part of Arkansas, just 8 short miles from the Missouri state line and spend a lot of time in the Ozark foothills near West Plains.

"Dammit all, the hydrogen catalysts have gone off again!"

opta ardua pennis astra sequi
Lady Lavinea Dreadful
Zeppelin Admiral

Ragamuffin and cad

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 07:28:33 pm »

hmmmm perhaps some yearly meet some place centrally located? a pub crawl or rely perambulation in some old school shopping area? by the by my misters family is in the west plains thru hollister area. so i know it fairly well.
dman762000
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2011, 06:17:57 am »

By the by Ms. Boo, er, excuse me Lady Lavinea, are all your people Ok, when I heard about Joplin the first person I thought of was you.

A pub crawl sounds like fun, just imagine, a bunch of Steampunks in costumes going from pub to pub and bar to bar, really freak out the locals.

Are there any attractions that would be good as a meet. Civil War battlegrounds, Railroad Museums, There has to be something that could be a nice place for a bunch of steampunks to get together.
jcbanner
Officer

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 05:01:27 am »

As far as events go, there is a weekend pirate festival coming up and they are doing a Steampunk Pirates theme on the opening Friday. Look up Boster Castle, located in Kingdom City, MO. (about 15-20 miles north of Jeff City)

Also, keep your ears open for an event called Steamposium, a new group is looking into managing it and is talking about doing a teaser event in 2012 and full revamped relaunch of the convention in 2013.  this is still all brand new information, so don't expect there to be anymore information till later in the summer.
Lady Lavinea Dreadful
Zeppelin Admiral

Ragamuffin and cad

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 02:40:04 pm »

By the by Ms. Boo, er, excuse me Lady Lavinea, are all your people Ok, when I heard about Joplin the first person I thought of was you.

A pub crawl sounds like fun, just imagine, a bunch of Steampunks in costumes going from pub to pub and bar to bar, really freak out the locals.

Are there any attractions that would be good as a meet. Civil War battlegrounds, Railroad Museums, There has to be something that could be a nice place for a bunch of steampunks to get together.
yup me and mine are fine. a few of our family members lost their homes, but they kept their lives so thats what matters.
dman762000
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2011, 04:03:29 am »

This Boster Castle group seems interesting, and deserves more research. What are their events like? Had I known about the fest that is due in the next few days I would have made plans to attend, alas, it is too near to time for the event for me to get off work and get the money together and such, maybe next year.
jcbanner
Officer

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2011, 04:30:59 am »

Wish I could tell you what they are like, but I've never been able to be at one.  I was at the very first starting core event that lead to this though.  I know the guy that started the Columbia, Mo Renfest a few years ago, it started as a tent fair in a county fair ground.  It was about what you'd expect for a start up event.  A few years go by, he meets a man willing to sponsor the fair and it moves to a permanent fairground about 20 miles away from Columbia to Kingdom City.  They start planning a Pirate festival (I believe in addition to the renfaire) and decided to as a test do a steampunk day.  Thats what is happening this year.  From what I understand, the guy who is now sponsoring the event is a professional set producer. So he knows all the tricks, how to's and has the needed equipment at his disposal.   

I'm hoping I'll be able to go next year after I've started earning vacation time.
Lady Lavinea Dreadful
Zeppelin Admiral

Ragamuffin and cad

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2011, 10:53:35 pm »

i know this is in MO however i live just on the other side of galena ks. im hoping to have a big steampunk,fire spinning hula hooping birthday party august 6th or 7th. if anyone has ideas for the party or would like to come please feel free to offer suggestions or let me know Smiley
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=219038634803452

(cross post from kansas steampunk)
Dove
Officer

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2011, 02:57:30 pm »

Happy Independence Day Dear chaps, prehaps one of the old china men can lend some sparkling fire for your day!

Judge
Swab

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2011, 08:57:54 pm »

Wish I could tell you what they are like, but I've never been able to be at one.  I was at the very first starting core event that lead to this though.  I know the guy that started the Columbia, Mo Renfest a few years ago, it started as a tent fair in a county fair ground.  It was about what you'd expect for a start up event.  A few years go by, he meets a man willing to sponsor the fair and it moves to a permanent fairground about 20 miles away from Columbia to Kingdom City.  They start planning a Pirate festival (I believe in addition to the renfaire) and decided to as a test do a steampunk day.  Thats what is happening this year.  From what I understand, the guy who is now sponsoring the event is a professional set producer. So he knows all the tricks, how to's and has the needed equipment at his disposal.   

I'm hoping I'll be able to go next year after I've started earning vacation time.

Greetings, Missouri Steampunkers!

Around the Steampunk circles, I am known as Judge, or sometimes my second character, Ronin the Alchemist.

I was part of the Staff for the Boster Castle Steampunk Pirate festival. It was a bit small for its first year, but the grounds are awesome. The fairgrounds are under continual development, and I have a feeling it could become a premiere place in a few years time. The next event for the Boster Castle Fiargrounds is the Ren Fair, Oct 7-9, and I believe they have made an open invitation to any Steampunks to come.

The staff most interested in Steampunk formed a group that became known as the crew of the Mighty Airship Luftsturm. We even built a mock Airship to have on the fairgrounds and greet people as they came through the castle gates. It is a mobile airship, and we plan to take it with us to various events when able.

Through the festival, we met quite a few folks who have an interest in Steampunk but have trouble connecting with other groups. So, we decided to create a social community site where we can collect information on the various Steampunk groups of the Central US area and help promote each other.

For any Missourians that want to check out our start-up group, please visit www.airshipsofthecentralexpanse.org. We are always looking to add more airships to the overall group.

Of course, we are also on facebook, at facebook.com/AirshipsoftheCentralExpanse and facebook.com/groups/airshipluftsturm

As far as events, we are currently planning at least two major events that will be here in Central MO. Once we have definite dates and more information, I will definitely disperse it on Facebook, our site, and here at brassgoggles.

If anyone wants to find me on Facebook, you can also go to facebook.com/obiwan.84

First Officer of the Mighty Airship Luftsturm, a Columbia MO based airship crew.

Site Admin of Airships of the Central Expanse, a community forum for Steampunk enthusiasts in the Central U.S. territory.
capps-guam
Swab

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2011, 06:11:46 am »

Springfield! Up and coming steam hub of the midwest!
Geoffrey
Deck Hand

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2011, 07:35:44 am »

Anybody else going to Archon?
Dove
Officer

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2011, 05:27:44 pm »

Anybody else going to Archon?
I hadnt heard of it until just now, unfortunatly their site is rather difficult for me to find any times or dates on.
ladyjabberwock
Deck Hand

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2011, 04:53:06 pm »

Judge, I'm planning on being at the Oct 8-9 fair.  I talked to the guy who runs it at pirate fest, and he said there would also be a fantasy fair there in spring with steampunk more than welcome. 
jcbanner
Officer

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2011, 06:28:57 am »

For those of you close to St Louis, we're coming up on the Crackfox Winter Steampunk Social. http://crackfoxbar.com/?p=237  as always, it's sure to be a good time.
BadKarma
Officer

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2011, 07:33:17 am »

This might have some potential for those in/near/around the St. Louis area:  http://stleampunk.livejournal.com/

I went to last year's Steampunk Winter Ball at the Crack Fox--it was a lot of fun.  I think Gaslight Squared is still the last Tuesday of every month at Lola.  I've only been there once, but it was a fun and kind of low-key event.

Are you ready for the Zombpocalypse?  www.zombiehunters.org
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: