The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 24, 2017, 01:37:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Making all those cool looking prop guns real! (sorta)  (Read 1712 times)
gullfunk
Deck Hand
United States United States

« on: May 23, 2011, 09:12:08 pm »

I recently got into steampunk and I love it but I've never been much for making stuff that just sits there. So, I was thinking about making a sreampunk gun that shoots and I remembered a kipkay youtube video. It was on how to make simple fireball shooter. It basicly consisted of a small glow plug that got hot ignited some flash cotton which propelled a flaming piece of flash paper. I was thinking with such a simple design and that the glow plug can work on nothing more than a aa battery that it would be easy to work it into steampunk gun.  Is it a good idea, bad idea, do you it will work. Tell me what you think.
Mr. Boltneck
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 10:41:49 pm »

Interesting. As for good or bad, I suspect that this is one of those situational things. In a photo-shoot, or for a stage show, it could be good. In a situation where someone thinks that you have drawn and discharged a real weapon, it would be problematic at best.
FightingDrag
Gunner

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 01:33:38 am »

it is a great idea~!~!

only thing is, u need to make it able to be disabled.   and not a simple "take out the batteries"  u need to make a component removable.
then you can take it to conventions and sutch, and have the part in your car or something.  and make demonstrations outside if someone asks.   or make a youtube video.

Example:
im planning on making Railguns once i have the money for materials and parts.     the removable component is the capacitor bank.     with a battery it will propel just fine for demonstrations, it takes the capacitor bank to make a charge to actually shoot something.

I say do it, and make a thorough pictorial!!
i dont rlly give a damn if u make it able to be disabled or not for con's

if you plan on walking around with it outside.  dont make a actual gun that gets distance.  make something that "puffs" away and only gets a distance of 10-15 feet "floating"    its still cool as @#$%  and not dangerous.
gullfunk
Deck Hand

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 02:56:06 am »

thanks for the advice. i was planning on being able comepletely disasembled it. if something were to brake i could just replace it. oh and i also want to make railgun i had an idea were it would be like a break down rifle from there it would be as simple as loosening a wing nut and sliding a part off compacitor bank, coil, ect. that was an idea i had that i never built. if you use that idea remember it came from a 13 year-old redneck from east TN. always remember youtubes amazing!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: