The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 17, 2017, 11:25:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cheap Pocket Watches on Ebay??  (Read 7817 times)
BlackReaper
Gunner
United States United States

« on: May 18, 2011, 12:16:00 am »

Alright,I know that this topic sounds like spam but it is not.I don't think this has been posted about(please forgive me if it has,I'm running low on time at the moment so I haven't dredged through the forums to check) and this seems like the right forum to post it in.Anyhoo,so I'm on ebay and decide to look up "pocket watch" and nearly 50,000 results show up.Then I narrow it down to North America,PayPal accepted,and Listed in US$...20,000 results with watches going off every minute for less than a dollar for a good portion of them and fairly decent shipping prices.If you type SteamPunk before that then they are about $5 more but "Antique" and "Vintage" are all priced decently.Anyhoo,has anybody tapped this resource? Or have they even had any luck (preferably good though).Hope this isn't redundent (I didn't see any topics like this on the first page for this forum).. Cheers --Nate--  :^)

Be yourself,everybody else is taken.
"All that glitters is not gold,all those who wander are not lost;.."--J.R.Tolkien
GLYAASDI--God Loves You All And So Do I
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 07:30:49 am »

antique and vintage, they are not. most of those are cheap wind up or quartz movement watches straight from china. they slap those tag words on the description, why Ebay lets them bullshit like that, I have no clue.

even when they say they are american vendors, it's almost always shipped directly from china and the guy gets the payment there too. not that it really matters in a global economy.

the watch may go for a dollar and the shipping is $12. you get a watch thats pretty much worth $15-$25, if that. reliability is very hit or miss. they look pretty enough and if you manage to get one that also keeps time, then you made out ok. Cheesy
Mimsy Beaucoup
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

interests: Corsets, hats, shoes, parasols

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 09:17:46 am »

We have three from china like this- sturdy, keep their time and all are wind up not battery.

We have had no issues at all. It basically comes down to what you want- do you want something that looks nice and several of them to go with different outfits or do you want an antiqie time piece or quality time piece? If you do then the cheap ones aren't for you.

I think our came is at about £8 each  including postage.

Just call me Rob
Zeppelin Admiral

Captain: RD Susurrus

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 09:36:40 am »

We have a few of them, great little costume pieces that look the part and keep time well.

I have seen some bloody terrible ones though.
Badly made, extremely thin metal, mismatched seams and generally looking like something that would be given away free with a box of budget cereal.

But, the ones was have an neatly made, clean seams, nice colour, good weight and perfectly nice spruce up an outfit without breaking the bank – and without worrying too much about losing.

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting aiw kwacken.
Taillte
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 04:44:53 pm »

I bought one on ebay for around $20 (that's including shipping), I believe (I think you're looking for less, but I went for the buy it now options). It's wind up, roman numerals, clear backing to see the gears and just really beautiful.

I apologize for the picture quality....I never used a real camera to take photos, which I should actually do.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It works wonderfully and I'm beyond pleased with it. I would've loved to have an old time piece, but some of the ones on ebay are actually very nice. I didn't look up steampunk or antique or vintage watches to find mine. I just looked through them until I found one I really liked.

BlackReaper
Gunner

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 08:29:39 pm »

Ok,I did notice that most of them were suppliers from Hong Kong but I'll still keep an eye out for whenever I see that one that I "gotta have".
@Taillte:that does look nice,good price for it.I actually prefer but-it-nows but I noticed the auctions and was like "woah".
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 09:21:54 pm »

When searching, type in "pocket watch".  If you type in "steampunk watch" or "steampunk pocket watch" you'll find the same thing at higher prices...

"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."
Ms Fisher
Snr. Officer

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 11:38:03 pm »

I think amazon may have pocket watches as well.
Having read the whole master pocketwatch thread the advice on cheap chinesse watches was hit and miss-more or less, the theme seemed to be you may luck out.
Theres a simillar thread in anatomical, called reasonably priced pocket watch. In fact, if you get the time to put pocketwatch into the search, you will discover their are a huge number of threads on this area, and many threads that touch on it
BlackReaper
Gunner

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 02:17:47 am »

In fact, if you get the time to put pocketwatch into the search, you will discover their are a huge number of threads on this area, and many threads that touch on it

That and goggles,steam,airship,etc.. Hahahaha :^D
Mr. Ethan Grammatikidis
Snr. Officer

Codepunk

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 01:41:30 pm »

Where's HAC when you need him? Smiley Repeating what he told me (although take this with a pinch of salt because the situation looks slightly different); the workings of these Chinese watches have a basically sound design -- the same as many genuine Swiss watches -- but little care is put into the manufacture. What with watch-level precision being easy to achieve these days, "little care" basically means the works may have dust in the bearings, making them wear out quick. In short, you can get lucky (no dust), or you can get a watch which doesn't last 6 months. Even in the latter case they're still a bargain.

Ardent about analytical engineering.
Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, 12:33:02 pm »

I got given one of these type of watches for my birthday from a friend. It's wind-up and it looks beautiful but it looses time... about 5 minutes every 4 hours, then when it starts to wind down it goes horribly wrong- was 3 hours out before I re-wound it one day recently. If you want a reliable time piece- don't buy one. If you are willing to keep checking the pocketwatch against other clocks and re-setting it- then they are fine.

cemeteryresearcher.com

'a lighthearted academic blog about funerary practice' - Updates Sundays*

*gremlins permitting
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 11:28:49 pm »

I know that this will look like spam, but this place has some rather delightful pocket watches: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/everyday-deal-store/_i.html?_fsub=645350015

As mentioned above, the ones with 'steampunk' in the title should be avoided because of the price hike, but some of the others still more than fit the bill. If you bid for them, rather than use the Buy It Now price, you can usually get them for 99p. Postage isn't too much either, though coming from China means a charge of £3 - £8.50

I have been buying pocket watches for 35 years now and despite telling myself repeatedly that I have enough, I've bought 3 from them, all work well. My favourite is one in a glass ball:

Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
Peacemaker
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2012, 11:33:16 pm »

You are looking at around $70-$150 for a nice quality time piece.

There are a few things you need to know however. The ones you can see through are called skeletons, and most of them have gears you can see rotating and those are called Mechanical (You wind a dial to set a spring)

Ones that run on battery power are quartz, sometimes you can find quartz time pieces that have fake gears that turn for visual purpose.

Now the big difference in the two are price. Quartz are cheaper and run on batteries, batteries on average will run you $4 for a single and the life on them isn't all that amazing. Mechanical watches need oiled, a lot of people think you never have to do anything to a Mechanical watch other then keeping it wound but without proper oiling and maintenance they will go bad over time. You normally do this every 2-3 years, it cost more but in time you'll save from what you would have spent on batteries, hence the higher price difference. Don't try to oil it yourself unless you are a trained watchmaker, there are a lot of moving parts in Mechanical watches and you can damage one very easy. Take it to a jewelery store and have it done (95% of them have watchmakers)

Also a tip when setting your watch, always move the min hand ahead, never backwards and never touch the hour hand by itself.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 11:36:51 pm by Peacemaker » Logged
Abslomrob
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 12:54:52 am »

Take it to a jewelery store and have it done (95% of them have watchmakers)

Also a tip when setting your watch, always move the min hand ahead, never backwards and never touch the hour hand by itself.

Actually, try to find a real watchmaker to take it to directly; taking it to a jeweler is just going to add to the price. 

And the prohibition against setting the time backwards really only applies to very old (150 year old or more) watches.  For the most part, if it doesn't need a key to wind/set, then you should be good.  Indeed, watches with dates (1940's and up) depend on this; you quickset the date by setting the time forward and backwards between midnight and 9:00pm.

All my vintages are at http://www.abslomrob.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: