The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 18, 2017, 12:00:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pocket watch speed setting  (Read 2208 times)
Okapis Rule
Gunner
United States United States

« on: May 09, 2011, 03:58:15 am »

I have a "Silveroid" nickel Elgin pocket watch that is working quite nicely, and I have recently learned how to open it up in order to do various things.  In doing this, I discovered the speed setting, and over the past couple days have tried to get it to the correct speed.  However, I soon realized that even on the slowest setting it is still too fast [about a minute an hour].  Is there any way to fix this?
Thanks.

Aren't we trying to re-create the historical time when a man would wake up, don his goggles and fly his airship off to fight Martian invaders with a ray gun?
-Dr. Fidelius
Captain Shipton Bellinger
Master Tinkerer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Why the goggles..? In case of ADVENTURE!

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 07:09:44 am »

It sounds as if the hairspring on the balance wheel may need to be re-staked. I wouldn't really recommend trying to do it yourself unless you know exactly what you're doing.

Perhaps this topic should be moved to the 'Chronoautomata' forum?

« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 07:11:51 am by Captain Shipton Bellinger » Logged

Capt. Shipton Bellinger R.A.M.E. (rtd)

Abslomrob
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 03:00:16 pm »

The first thing that you usually need to do with a mechanical watch that isn't keeping the right time is to have it cleaned and oiled.  If old oil and dirt has accumulated in the pivots (the holes where the gears sit), the balance won't swing very far (< 90 degrees), which will cause the watch to speed up.  Often just having it properly cleaned will fix it.  Do that FIRST before attempting to monkey with the hairspring (and frankly, don't try to monkey with the hairspring, you'll just ruin it).

If it's still abnormally fast after a cleaning, it's either the victim of someone elses attempts to "fix" it, or the hairspring may be magnetized.  You can tell that by looking carefully at the hairspring (with a magnifying glass); you'll see some of the coils sticking together.

All my vintages are at http://www.abslomrob.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: