The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 24, 2017, 02:48:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Osama bin Laden has been killed  (Read 4816 times)
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

A.K.A. Scanner Camera Builder

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2011, 01:52:06 pm »

America has set an example for all terrorists. No matter how well trained, prepared and rich you are, USA will catch you!
AQ is not over but shall think twice and be extra carefull.

@Jupiter Harsh: You're not the only one. It is a bit fishy. I'm not saying it isn't true, but it's fishy.
It could be a trap. Perhaps they didn't find him and they are waiting untill he says "I'm still alive" and then shoot him. I used that same tactics when playing hide and seek.
Me: "I've found you, billy"
Billy:"no you didn't. You couldn't, I'm over here."
Me: "I told you I've found you!" Grin Works every time.

The best way to learn is by personal experience.
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

At the helm of the Frumious Bandersnatch

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2011, 02:01:07 pm »

We have been assailed over the treatment of other terrorists' bodies; Islamic tradition demands a burial within 24 hours. 

With all the work that so many people have done over the last decade to find this guy and bring him to justice, to have NO plan in place would have been amazing.  Following the plan would be dead simple.  No conspiracy, nothing fishy (ooh... sorry about the pun) there, just efficiently disposing of the corpus. 

To be caught out playing silly buggers over a staged/faked attack would cause an incredible amount of damage compared to the slight gain.  The people who did the work were not political and would not let themselves be used in that fashion.  I know.

Z

Captain Sir Charles A. Lyerly, O.B.T.
Soldier of Fortune and Gentleman Adventurer
wire: captain_lyerly, at wire office "Yahoo dot Qom"

"You'd think he'd learn."
"Heh! De best minions neffer do!"
Prof_Von_Grumbleflick
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

London & Western Home Counties Steampunk Society

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2011, 02:15:41 pm »

You don't win the game by tackling the mascot.

No matter how far you push the envelope, it remains stationery
Duellist
Zeppelin Captain

Gravatar

Toymaker, Storyteller, Captain of the Acheron

AnthonyHJ
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2011, 02:37:44 pm »

To blame the rise of Muslim terrorism on our reaction to Muslim terrorism sounds a bit off to me.

I am not sure I ever said that; my point was that the actions since the event have done a lot to stir up tension between Muslims and non-Muslims in the West.  The issues have existed for a very long time in the Middle East, the the Olympics example being these tensions spilling over rather than an example of Western Muslim extremists.  The very existence of Pakistan is a testament to the tensions between Islam and others. 

It is hard to deny that the events since 9/11 would not have got even peaceful Muslims just a little upset.  In the West, Muslims should have been free of the petty bickering and tensions that exist in the Middle East, but the actions of a small group of Middle Eastern Muslims brought these tensions into the West.  The issues go both ways, this I do not deny, but that doesn't mean that we should expect the other side to back down first; true reconciliation requires concessions on both sides.

Some are born strange, some attain strangeness, and some have strangeness thrust upon them.
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2011, 02:45:28 pm »

Obviously such a major news story will be discussed on this Forum just like any other and I like to think that most of us are glad that a terrorist has been stopped.

But I'd also like to point out that if this discussion divolves into a discussion of politics or religion I for one will be more than a little concerned that we're entering a banned arena.

Just my personal opinion you understand.

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord

The Green Dungeon Alchemist

« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2011, 02:47:39 pm »

I didn't even know he was alive, nor do I care. I don't know about you but I'm going to build robots and goggles whether the threat of terrorism is imminent or not.

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Providing weird sound contraptions and time machines since 2064.
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

At the helm of the Frumious Bandersnatch

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2011, 02:53:47 pm »

Oh - sorry for the misinterpretation then.  I must admit, I have been a little close to the problem, so I tend to see things from that perspective.  But I am not sure what you are addressing in "the events since 9/11".  Care to expand on that?  I am curious.

Prof. G - I don't think anybody is saying "we won, let's pack up our toys and go home".  But it really was a thing that needed doing; and a lot of people have worked long and hard to make it so.

George Orwell has been quoted (somewhat erroneously) as saying; "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."  That violence has been done; I will sleep more peacefully tonight.  Having been one of those "rough men", having done violence, I feel no slightest guilt, no regrets, in that regard.

Cheers!

Chas.
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

A.K.A. Scanner Camera Builder

« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2011, 03:06:11 pm »

#SNIP#
To be caught out playing silly buggers over a staged/faked attack would cause an incredible amount of damage compared to the slight gain.  The people who did the work were not political and would not let themselves be used in that fashion.  I know.

I know. The fake:"I've found you" worked when I was a kid, but my credibility went down every time I did it. It would be silly if America used that technique.

Years of prepairation, training and gathering information has finally payed off. What the reaction will be from the terrorists is still a mistery. Let's hope things are going to get peacefull, starting now.
Sir Nikolas Vendigroth
Captain Spice
Immortal

« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2011, 03:10:39 pm »

Obviously such a major news story will be discussed on this Forum just like any other and I like to think that most of us are glad that a terrorist has been stopped.

But I'd also like to point out that if this discussion divolves into a discussion of politics or religion I for one will be more than a little concerned that we're entering a banned arena.

Just my personal opinion you understand.

I'm keeping a close eye on this thread because, as you say, it has the distinct potential to turn ugly. So far it has not, and if it continues to be civil, I'm happy to leave it open, in the short term, at least.

This is, after all, a fairly major event. I think it's worth discussing, and I think that having a thread for it'll make keeping an eye on it easier.

So, for now, keep it civil.   Smiley Once the fuss dies down, I'll archive this.

Quote from: elShoggotho
HE WRESTLES BEARS, HE DRINKS HIS ALE, HE LOVES HIS AUTUNITE! ON WEDNESDAYS HE GOES SHOPPING, THIS SONG IS UTTER SHI-

PM me about adding a thread to the OT archive!

_|¯¯|_
r[]_[]
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2011, 03:38:07 pm »

I didn't even know he was alive, nor do I care. I don't know about you but I'm going to build robots and goggles whether the threat of terrorism is imminent or not.

^^^ I think that pretty much sums up the British attitude to terrorism...(well not so much with the robots and goggles, thats just us steampunks)   Wink

SS

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Dorian Ambrose
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2011, 06:02:21 pm »

I find it somewhat convenient that the only "proof" of this, comes from the organisation that stands to gain the most from the situation. And that the same organisation conveniently made sure that acquiring real proof is borderline impossible.

But lets say it did happen just like the US officials say. Be that the case, this may well be the worst idea since illegally starting the first invasion.

A terrorist organisation like this one is based on the concept of autonomous cells. Most of which have little or no direct contact to the main organisation. And certainly not with the leader.
Not that it makes any real difference, as it is highly unlikely that bin Laden has been more than a figure head in recent years and not even that for quite some time.
He was/is more like a symbolic figure for the organisation. A revered member to look up to. Nothing more.

If we then stick with the US's tale, we are faced with a new problem. In an organisation where martyrdom is a cornerstone, making a martyr of their most honored member is not doing to demoralize the troops. Quite the opposite.

And I won't even begin to talk about the unfortunate things that may be the result, if they actually (as stated by US officials) did this without the consent of the Pakistani government (to those who don't know, that would be an act of war, making the alleged killing a war crime).
Duellist
Zeppelin Captain

Gravatar

AnthonyHJ
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2011, 06:50:22 pm »

(to those who don't know, that would be an act of war, making the alleged killing a war crime).

Like bombing the snot out of a civilian house which just happened to have an enemy leader in it, along with his son and grandchildren? 
Dorian Ambrose
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2011, 07:35:56 pm »

(to those who don't know, that would be an act of war, making the alleged killing a war crime).

Like bombing the snot out of a civilian house which just happened to have an enemy leader in it, along with his son and grandchildren? 

Two wrongs don't make a right.
Anyone who believes that, has no understanding of, or interest in the concepts of justice, freedom, truth or indeed democracy.

And if we are keeping scores, guess which side has killed the most civilians. So even that "eye for an eye" bullcrap is useless here.
Duellist
Zeppelin Captain

Gravatar

AnthonyHJ
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2011, 07:48:18 pm »

Two wrongs don't make a right.
Anyone who believes that, has no understanding of, or interest in the concepts of justice, freedom, truth or indeed democracy.

And if we are keeping scores, guess which side has killed the most civilians. So even that "eye for an eye" bullcrap is useless here.

Actually, I was referring to the recent airstrike in Tripoli.  Something is rotten in the state of Denmark, if you will excuse the reference.
Sir Nikolas Vendigroth
Captain Spice
Immortal

« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2011, 07:48:58 pm »

I think we're done here. I'm locking and archiving this thread as a preventative measure.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: