The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 18, 2017, 05:55:08 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 74   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Collective Thread for All Them Guns Pt. II  (Read 214643 times)
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #200 on: September 01, 2011, 02:18:25 pm »

My ex had an Enfield sniper

No offence intended or implied but that really does sound like a blue grass song title.

OswaldBastable
Zeppelin Admiral

Not in front of the men..................

« Reply #201 on: September 01, 2011, 06:35:28 pm »

My ex had an Enfield sniper

No offence intended or implied but that really does sound like a blue grass song title.

Grin

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre
PapaPunk
Gunner
United States United States

« Reply #202 on: September 02, 2011, 06:40:59 am »

Good day Ladies and gents. I reciently found and joined this spectacular community of like minded people. In fact, this will be one of my first posts! I am new to Steampunk as being anything anything "official", but I feel like I have been steampunk/dieselpunk long before it had a name.

This is also my first Steampunk project. I have really enjoyed putting it together and will continue to inprove on it as I see fit. I started with a few basic rules in mind, the first of which is that no rule is firm. I wanted as little plastic as possable. I wanted real metals where possable, as opposed to painted (I don't enjoy painting quite as much). I choose to use natural weathering, so I left the metals bare, over time they will weather on there own. I wanted to use some "found" objects in conjunction with some mild fabrication (I have very little major tools, especially for metal). I did not want any of the found objects to be noticable for what they once were.

The look I was going for was that of a weapon made by a tinker/scientist who has created this prototype in secrecy on a small budget. It is not a production model so it should lack the streamlineness of a well refined manufactured peice. The elements were placed based on function.

I really do appreciate any positive or negitive feedback, Ive got thick skin so don't worry about my feelings. I also want to see how many elements you all can identify. Some will be easy ie: copper T-pipe, but I am hoping others will be harder. Consider that a challange!

So without further ado, I present:
 Dr. Von Brunswick's Sapphire Actuated Particle Confounder, prototype 1

That is a full sized Yardstick (36 inches) to show size.

Not the best pics, but the iPhones in the 1880's were quite primitive
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

a little detail, note the use of the printed circuit board. I was on the fence about using it, but I found one that was that lovely blue from a PS2 that seemed to fit. It is quite descrete, just how I like it.

The Platinum spheres used to accelerate the beam, and the gauge (not happy with the face, contemplating replacements)

Close up of the barrel

The business end. May be reworked in the future.

The stock is a real vintage rifle stock.

The trigger. I am really happy with how this turned out. It has a nice feel and looks great. Made it with a dremil, hammer and torch. There is a firm spring inside that gives it a realistic pull.
PapaPunk
Gunner

« Reply #203 on: September 02, 2011, 06:42:00 am »

Oops, guess my post was too long!

The component that started it all. I was just sitting around creating stuff and ended up with this. The wire is from a really small motor and is so thin that if it is picke up by the wire, it will break. this component inspired me to make the gun around it.

Thanks, and don't forget to let me know your thoughts
D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #204 on: September 02, 2011, 07:04:54 am »

PapaPunk, that is awesome.  But now for the sake of my gun-nut brain, what stock did you use?  The first pic, I could have sworn that I saw vents that reminded me of an SVT, then it turned out to be rivets and it came to the SKS, but then the last picture of the wood above the trigger guard has me stumped.  Anyway, Epic work!  I like it! 

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over." -Rhett Butler
Herr Döktor
Gadgeteer, Contraptionist, and Inventor, FVSS
Governor
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #205 on: September 02, 2011, 07:58:54 am »

Great work, Papapunk,and welcome to the boards!

PapaPunk
Gunner

« Reply #206 on: September 02, 2011, 09:39:11 am »

PapaPunk, that is awesome.  But now for the sake of my gun-nut brain, what stock did you use?  The first pic, I could have sworn that I saw vents that reminded me of an SVT, then it turned out to be rivets and it came to the SKS, but then the last picture of the wood above the trigger guard has me stumped.  Anyway, Epic work!  I like it! 

That is a great question to which I do not have an answer. But here is the link to the ebay page where it shows several pics. If anyone can figure it out I would really like to know.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380355723157?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649] [url]http://www.ebay.com/itm/380355723157?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649[/url]
D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #207 on: September 02, 2011, 09:46:03 am »

That is a great question to which I do not have an answer. But here is the link to the ebay page where it shows several pics. If anyone can figure it out I would really like to know.

[url]http://www.ebay.com/itm/380355723157?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649]http://www.ebay.com/itm/380355723157?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649] [url]http://www.ebay.com/itm/380355723157?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649[/url]

SKS or similar.  I can tell by the space for the magazine housing in the base.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:SKS_Flickr.jpg  Amazing work still.  Although as the styling of the stock is still so "typical Russian" I'd suggest if you were to accompany it, do so in Steampunk: Czarist finary or as a Bolshevik revolutionary.  (May I introduce myself as a resident Russian art/history/weapons nerd.) 
PapaPunk
Gunner

« Reply #208 on: September 02, 2011, 10:04:35 am »

[url=http://www.ebay.com/itm/380355723157?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649]http://www.ebay.com/itm/380355723157?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649] [url]http://www.ebay.com/itm/380355723157?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649]http://www.ebay.com/itm/380355723157?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649]http://www.ebay.com/itm/380355723157?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649] [url]http://www.ebay.com/itm/380355723157?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649[/url]

SKS or similar.  I can tell by the space for the magazine housing in the base.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:SKS_Flickr.jpg  Amazing work still.  Although as the styling of the stock is still so "typical Russian" I'd suggest if you were to accompany it, do so in Steampunk: Czarist finary or as a Bolshevik revolutionary.  (May I introduce myself as a resident Russian art/history/weapons nerd.) 

Thanks, it looks almost exactly like the SKS in the Wiki link. Great ideas too. Can you suggest any old russian pistol grips that would go well for a side arm project? Maybe Ill keep them sort of "matched" so to speak.
D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #209 on: September 02, 2011, 10:13:16 am »

I actually have a really cheap airsoft pistol based on the Tokarev.  A steamy Russian pistol, that is usually affordable, if you can find it, is the Nagant revolver.  It is quite beautiful, however, for most cons it will not work.  

Another avenue is the Mauser broomhandle, there are tons of variations in props and airsoft guns on the market that are the correct size and have the features.  Though it was German, the Russians used them into Afghanistan.  They are very fun to mod (In Star Wars the blaster pistol Han Solo carries is a modded C96).  For mine I simply made it look like the gun it was based on by clearing the paint in some areas and roughing it up in others.  

My other Russian guns are the real deal, although I am considering pulling out the flamethrower build my unit was planning before we desolved.  Steampunk allows the plan to utilize more than just "Russian specific" parts.  

Oh and as for uniforms, the M43 pattern worn from 1943 to the early 70's is actually the same style worn by the Russians from the late 1800's until the Bolsheviks started changing it around 1919 and quite a bit after.  Difference is the internal pockets, but steampunk is forgiving. 
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 10:15:11 am by D.Oakes » Logged
PapaPunk
Gunner

« Reply #210 on: September 02, 2011, 10:19:53 am »

You are quite knowlegable on the subject! Thank you for your imput. The Tokarev is quite nice looking. You simply MUST build a flamethrower, Ill be watching for Pics!
D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #211 on: September 02, 2011, 10:31:49 am »

You are quite knowlegable on the subject! Thank you for your imput. The Tokarev is quite nice looking. You simply MUST build a flamethrower, Ill be watching for Pics!

I studied it from Freshman year of highschool to about my Sophomore year of college with a one year break in between college and high school.  (and I guess even still as the topic interests me and often I find myself going down Russian rabbit holes)  Even though Russian men have broken up 2 of my relationships and yet I still love the history.  God has a sense of humor.  When we talk about 10s of millions killed in single battles, things get a lot more interesting.  Locally in central PA I am considered an expert on the Great Patriotic War (WW2) and have done quite a few lectures to varying crowds.  
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 10:35:31 am by D.Oakes » Logged
helios
Zeppelin Overlord
New Zealand New Zealand

Probably not Death, the Destroyer of Worlds

eliasvonhelios
« Reply #212 on: September 02, 2011, 02:09:13 pm »

I do wish I could get my hands on a Tokarev or a Nagent. But, due to my locale, buying nearly anything from overseas is prohibitively expensive. Such beautiful guns, too...

In smoggiest day, in sooted night
no ignorance shall escape my sight.
Let those who worship ignorance's might,
beware my power... Brass Goggles light!
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

Research Air Ship R.A.S. 'Saorsa'

« Reply #213 on: September 02, 2011, 04:42:19 pm »

Shock - Horror - River Song packs a Nerf!

Airship Artificer, part-time romantik and amateur Natural Philosopher

"wee all here are much troubled with the loss of poor Thompson & Sutton"
Fleebnork
Deck Hand

Pleh!

« Reply #214 on: September 03, 2011, 11:03:42 pm »

Here's an action shot. Unfortunately we had a mishap. My colleague who attended DragonCon with me didn't realise that the plasma spheres were on hinges. He turned the gun on its side and one collided with the other.  :'(

I added a bit of hose and a belt with other accoutrements to turn lemons into lemonade.

(Click for larger image)

« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 11:07:46 pm by Fleebnork » Logged
elvisroe
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #215 on: September 04, 2011, 02:12:06 am »

Here's an action shot. Unfortunately we had a mishap. My colleague who attended DragonCon with me didn't realise that the plasma spheres were on hinges. He turned the gun on its side and one collided with the other.  Cry

Good lord! Shocked Shocked Sounds like we're lucky he didn't melt down the whole city! Wink

Looking both dapper and dangerous my good man - well played.
Fleebnork
Deck Hand

Pleh!

« Reply #216 on: September 04, 2011, 01:41:54 pm »

Thank you, sir.

On a side note, I cannot recommend the plasma balls sold by Edmund Scientific. The first broke with only a light bump, and the second ceased to function this morning for no reason I can ascertain. I can only assume they are poor quality items. They were inexpensive, but cheap. Be warned.
Lord Gooding
Swab

Canada Canada

« Reply #217 on: September 05, 2011, 08:29:01 pm »

Would love to post a pic of my creations, but am unable to comprehend the img - img thing. I only have the basic skills to do the browse and download thingy... :-(

The Earl of Steam...
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #218 on: September 05, 2011, 10:16:58 pm »

Would love to post a pic of my creations, but am unable to comprehend the img - img thing. I only have the basic skills to do the browse and download thingy... :-(

You need to open an account with an image hosting site (Flickr, photobucket etc) You download the pics from your PC to the site and then it's easy to simply cut and paste the URL from the  individual pics to the forum.

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #219 on: September 06, 2011, 11:26:10 am »

I have been enjoying the ray gun candy on the RPF forum website, particularly the Weta Workshop sponsored 'modify a Righteous Bison' competition, where many talented prop makers and modders have posted their pictures.

This entry in particular I felt I needed to bring to your attention...

More of this beautiful piece can be found on my blog...

Or you can view the entries at this point in the RPF forum website... 

http://www.therpf.com/f9/dr-grordborts-custom-raygun-contest-entries-125092/

« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 12:04:53 am by maduncle » Logged

'...within interventions distance of the embassy...
elvisroe
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #220 on: September 08, 2011, 03:34:11 am »

Hey all,
I had a bit of time up my sleeve yesterday and managed to complete a little project I've been thinking about for a while...

Presenting Dr. Gunn's Fabulous Pocket Dragon!!! 

"You'll never miss again with this fire-breathing Dragon in your pocket"

Essentially it's a confetti 6 shooter with a fluted barrel, wood grip and a paintjob.
Still shoots well, blasting clouds of paper confetti with every shot - looks great with smoke streaming from the barrel too!
The idea was to make a sidearm to use at kids parties as part of my work-in-progress steampunk pirate facepainting costume.

My daughter loves it and wants a pink sparkle one for herself!
elvisroe
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #221 on: September 08, 2011, 03:40:39 am »

Here's a before and after...

« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 03:43:05 am by elvisroe » Logged
Fleebnork
Deck Hand

Pleh!

« Reply #222 on: September 08, 2011, 03:43:41 am »

Looks great!  Cheesy
D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #223 on: September 08, 2011, 05:01:48 am »

Here's a before and after...

That is one of the best mods I have ever seen.  How did you get the color so right? 
elvisroe
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #224 on: September 08, 2011, 07:06:18 am »

Thanks gents!  I'm very into 19th century handguns and I like to get 'em looking as real as possible.

Re colour I've found a satin finish black spray gives the truest black and a few very subtle hints of gold leaf "rub-and buff" (vigorously rubbed and buffed!) + a couple of bits of actual brass - suggests metal underneath rather than plastic. 

The wood is pine stained with a chessnut leather dye.
cr
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 74   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: