The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 18, 2017, 04:52:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 [68] 69 70 71 72 73 74   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Collective Thread for All Them Guns Pt. II  (Read 214623 times)
Mr Wells
Deck Hand
United States United States

« Reply #1675 on: January 19, 2015, 12:24:59 am »

Hello all....Been a member of this site for around a year and am just getting around to checking in...Came across the gun thread and figured I'd throw my gun in progress in..It's made using walnut,mahogany,brass and copper..kind of working it out as I go along...Daughter got me interested in steampunk....I also have a question...I Want to attach the gun to the power unit I made for it...Figured rubber covered wire wouldn't be era correct...any ideas would be appreciated.....thanks             http://imgur.com/NdysGCR 
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #1676 on: January 19, 2015, 12:36:12 am »

Nice piece.  Images must have a "jpg" or "GIF" extension and bracketed in the "IMG" tags.

Mr Wells
Deck Hand

« Reply #1677 on: January 19, 2015, 12:47:30 am »

Thanks Maets....wasn't real sure of how to post the pic.....know now.....Thanks again...
jimbits
Officer

« Reply #1678 on: January 21, 2015, 02:10:08 am »

hi...is anyone familiar with this blaster?  only markings, other than a serial # on the trigger guard, are "merchsource llc" "2013"  "made in China"
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 02:11:39 am by jimbits » Logged
jimbits
Officer

« Reply #1679 on: January 21, 2015, 08:03:37 pm »

Someone sent me this link re: the source of my previously unidentified blaster:
http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/Black-Series-Hover-Target-Game/8402363/product.html?refccid=UOVWIQDIIQKLU7SNWG72ZUOWUU&searchidx=9
Mr Addams
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1680 on: January 22, 2015, 11:30:47 am »

The "Hover target" is just begging to be steampunked, but the blaster, cool looking though it is, appears to be a fairly inaccurate weapon for shooting at small moving targets.

FOLLOW UP.
If THESE REVIEWS are anything to go by, it should be turning up in the reduced to clear bins very soon.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 11:39:33 am by Mr Addams » Logged
jimbits
Officer

« Reply #1681 on: January 22, 2015, 03:14:34 pm »

The "Hover target" is just begging to be steampunked, but the blaster, cool looking though it is, appears to be a fairly inaccurate weapon for shooting at small moving targets.
FOLLOW UP.
If THESE REVIEWS are anything to go by, it should be turning up in the reduced to clear bins very soon.

Thanks for the link to the reviews.  I went back to the thrift store where I found the blaster and FOUND THE REST OF THE GAME...well, most of it!  Only 5 darts (one broken), one ball and, on the "hover target", one of the "cups" which supports the balls, pre-flight, was broken (probably before it was unpacked originally, as several reviews stated).  Even w/out the reviews I decided the other elements of the game weren't worth $4.99
skyranger
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #1682 on: February 04, 2015, 12:52:00 pm »

drooling over all the amazing guns in this thread, wow. Planning on doing one soon but I have a quick question, what do you all use to attach things, especially for bonding metal to plastic ? contact cement?
jojo1189
Swab

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1683 on: February 05, 2015, 12:06:57 am »

I made one gun before this, but this is just the start of my second one. All the jewellery I bought for decoration was €2 in a charity shop, and the gun was €1.50 in a poundland store.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1684 on: February 05, 2015, 12:39:44 am »

A perfect start with the jewelry findings!

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #1685 on: February 12, 2015, 12:32:39 am »

I want to Steam up my flare gun.  It is a basic and obvious question, but is there any bronze or gunmetal paint or enamel that will stick to this plastic substance?  I want to modify its case as well.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 12:34:11 am by Arabella Periscope » Logged

Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'
Brian:'Oh yes, I forgot. It's fairly easy, old boy.
Elle a des idees au-dessus de sa gare.'
Kenneth: 'Idiot.  It's not that kind of station.'

Terence Rattigan 'French Without Tears.'
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1686 on: February 12, 2015, 01:45:54 am »

You can steelwool it down a bit (easier to get into recesses) then use a primer for plastic and paint away!
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Wot's a personal text?

« Reply #1687 on: February 12, 2015, 11:37:15 pm »

There re lines of spraypaint now made to bond with plastic, some indeed are metallic. I think the beaten metal series by... I forget, but it works on plastic.

Toll the Great Bell Once!
Pull the Lever forward to engage the
Piston and Pump...

Toll the Great Bell Twice!
With push of Button fire the Engine
And spark Turbine into life...

Toll the Great Bell Thrice!
Sing Praise to the
God of All Machines!
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #1688 on: February 13, 2015, 01:48:24 am »

Thanks -- I'll ask for that, now that I know it exists.  And make a holster.  It is illegal to fire a flare gun unless you have an emergency at sea, but if my life was threatened I think it would make quite an impression.  Unfortunately it doesn't make a sound.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1689 on: February 13, 2015, 03:20:23 am »

I want to Steam up my flare gun.  It is a basic and obvious question, but is there any bronze or gunmetal paint or enamel that will stick to this plastic substance?  I want to modify its case as well.

If you go to Autozone or Pep Boys you can get a spray can of "adhesion promoter." it is a substance specially designed to prep plastic surfaces for painting with enamel.  Automotive paint is always of a much higher quality (proportionally noxious solvents), which will last much longer, but getting the desired colours is trickier, even if the selection is large, as automotive paint tends to have "metal flake" which you may/may not want to use.

Household paints like Rust-O-Leum brand paints have lines of epoxy based paints. The hammered finish Rustoleoum products are very hard (not as good as automotive paint though), but you have to like the metal "hammered" finish.

Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #1690 on: February 13, 2015, 06:11:56 am »

I've used krylon fusion spray paint as a base color and primer on plastic stuff, it holds pretty good if you clean and scuff/sand the surface and round sharp edges a bit. then I usually dry brush on the metallic color instead of spraying it on, over the krylon (black, so it's a dark backround for the drybrushing, helps antique the finish)

the trouble with plastic guns is the paint rubbing off or generally going soft from hand oil and handling. best way to deal with that is to give it a good clear coat but most metallic paints will turn dull when clear coated.

with your flare gun I would be tempted to either make grip panels from wood or build up the plastic grips with a two part epoxy putty to overcome their pebble finish and bland flatness and then maybe paint them mother of pearl or ivory white. either should be able to take a clear coat and stay the right color.

the gun itself you can go ahead and paint black and drybrush with a gold and that will come out a darker brass if you keep it thin. pay very close attention to the drying times and recoat time listed for any paints you use, it will save you a lot of headaches in the long run.

as much as I like rustoleum in general, it always gives me headaches with painting pistols, between reacting with other paints and the terrible drying and curing times (two very distinct reactions they never explain on their product). I've NEVER had any luck getting rustoleum paint to work well with rustoleum primer...go figure!
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #1691 on: February 13, 2015, 10:29:54 am »

Thanks for the suggestions.  I really like the idea of a mother-of- pearl effect on the handle.  It is quite a big gun, though very light, being plastic, so there is room for stuff to be added.  I shall scroll back through this thread for some more inspiration; it seems to be addictive, once you start, you get another gun and they get bigger and more elaborate until they turn into shoulder-mounted flame-throwers with brass trumpet like barrels and telescopes on top . . .
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1692 on: February 13, 2015, 04:10:27 pm »

The Adhesion Promoter is a good idea along with rubbing down the item with rubbing alcohol(and letting it dry Roll Eyes) before you spray the primer.
CloudWolf
Officer

airship pirate

« Reply #1693 on: February 13, 2015, 09:57:37 pm »

hello all, i'm new, I've been prepping my costume for a while but have yet to make a gun. any advice for where to find brass and bits&bobs?

Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back.
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #1694 on: February 16, 2015, 12:39:52 am »

Nice piece.  Images must have a "jpg" or "GIF" extension and bracketed in the "IMG" tags.

Almost looks like what Mauser might have done had the technology allowed. The Box Cannon for the Steampunk age.

What do we want? Decapitations!
skyranger
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #1695 on: February 21, 2015, 01:09:57 am »

hello all, i'm new, I've been prepping my costume for a while but have yet to make a gun. any advice for where to find brass and bits&bobs?

I found the plumbing section of my local hardware store quite inspiring Smiley
CloudWolf
Officer

airship pirate

« Reply #1696 on: February 21, 2015, 10:54:55 am »

thanks. since then ive got several projects lined up i should be posting soon
Argus McJohnsten
Gunner

Gravatar

Still learning.

rovingtriker
« Reply #1697 on: February 26, 2015, 06:03:44 pm »

drooling over all the amazing guns in this thread, wow. Planning on doing one soon but I have a quick question, what do you all use to attach things, especially for bonding metal to plastic ? contact cement?

Been wondering the same myself. Also considered ca glues, but would rather do it right than have to start over a bunch of times.

Find out what you cannot do, and then, go out and do it.
CloudWolf
Officer

airship pirate

« Reply #1698 on: February 26, 2015, 06:30:55 pm »

liquid epoxy and epoxy putty work well for me
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1699 on: February 27, 2015, 03:41:43 am »

E6000, try it, you'll like it.
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 [68] 69 70 71 72 73 74   Go Up