The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 21, 2017, 04:25:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Collective Thread for All Them Guns Pt. II  (Read 214892 times)
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Director of Preternatural Research, Arkam Museum

« Reply #1625 on: August 10, 2014, 01:10:51 pm »

A couple of WiP shots.

The support bolt for the side handle made from several layers of plywood screwed togethr and epoxied into place. It's not budging.

Making the electrical charge gauge for the top.

Styrene sheet glued into place with brad 'rivets' added. The collar for the handle is a slice of pvc pipe with half of a tarp grommet glued on.

Don't have  flat screws? Grab some nails and cut a slot with a Dremel cutting wheel then slice off the heads.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 01:15:30 pm by Herbert West » Logged

"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" ~Sherlock Holmes
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1626 on: August 10, 2014, 01:27:36 pm »

Oh, And I was feeling bored last night and decided to replace the blade on my Hammershot with something a bit more substantial. Its just a bit of acrylic plastic cut out on the jigsaw, then sanded and filed to something resembling an edge. Now to paint.

One quick question. Does anyone have any idea of how I can go about simulating the different shade/texture of metal you get along a sharpened knife edge?
Rushing's Rarities
Zeppelin Captain

Formerly "superbill22"

« Reply #1627 on: August 10, 2014, 07:36:36 pm »

One quick question. Does anyone have any idea of how I can go about simulating the different shade/texture of metal you get along a sharpened knife edge?

You could try painting and aging your whole blade evenly then lightly sanding the sharpened bit with a fine grit sandpaper to remove the aging where you need to, OR age the whole blade and then hit the sharpened bit with rub and buff to brighten it. I'd try different methods out on a scrap piece to find the best results. It would make a great mini tutorial, in fact, I'm certain a lot of folks here would love to see it.

Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1628 on: August 10, 2014, 11:35:11 pm »

Many thanks RR. that sounds like it should work.

So looking at my gun, the question becomes, should I hit the wooden handles with a layer of lacquer, or leave them bare?
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #1629 on: August 10, 2014, 11:59:26 pm »

Lacquer is a great way to protect the paint from scratching.

Burgess Shale
Officer

« Reply #1630 on: August 11, 2014, 01:03:40 am »

For a sharpened edge, you could try a very bright metallic colored acrylic model paint used for miniatures or a very shiny metallic paint marker. The effect can be accentuated by contrast, so you could darken the immediate area that is adjacent to the sharp part.

Dean of the Department of Palaeontology at the American Institute of Natural History and Decorative Arts
Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #1631 on: August 11, 2014, 08:52:11 am »

Well, here's my contribution. The start of a restoration project.

http://imgur.com/a/e6d45

It's easier to just post a link to the album on imgur than post all the pictures, here, though. That is a Nepalese Gahendra rifle made in 1873 by some little blacksmith with sandals in a mud hut in Nepal for use by the Gurkhas in British service. It's been cleaned up a bit, but is still not functional yet. The barrel has been certified safe to shoot by a gunsmith, and the headspace is good, so it'll be a shooter when I finish it. I'll keep y'all up to date, if you'd like.
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #1632 on: August 11, 2014, 10:39:21 am »

Very nice, I do like a Martini with a twist, shaken or stirred.

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #1633 on: August 11, 2014, 09:18:15 pm »

150 years sitting in a pile and they have to crack it now.

problem with something like that is how much do you revive it? crusty and trusty? peacock pretty? hard to decide where to stop once you start!

good luck with it!

also, I would question the safe to fire declaration unless the barrel has been out of the stock and completely inspected. lack of protective grease and the wood attracting moisture is a breeding ground for rust, it could be dangerously thin below the wood.
Keith_Beef
Snr. Officer
France France

« Reply #1634 on: August 11, 2014, 11:14:24 pm »

problem with something like that is how much do you revive it? crusty and trusty? peacock pretty? hard to decide where to stop once you start!

good luck with it!

also, I would question the safe to fire declaration unless the barrel has been out of the stock and completely inspected. lack of protective grease and the wood attracting moisture is a breeding ground for rust, it could be dangerously thin below the wood.

Surely an "inspection" isn't enough to declare it safe to shoot? I would expect it to be put on a bench and mechanically fired with some remote linkage, and then after that the barrel be inspected a second time, maybe with an ultrasound scan for cracks, before being declared truly "safe".

--
Keith
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1635 on: August 12, 2014, 06:14:16 am »

Meanwhile back in the world of fake guns, here's the finished blade attachment. Rub n' buff on the edge seems to have done the job. What do you think?

Hmm, I need to work on my trigger discipline.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 09:43:05 am by Herbert West » Logged
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #1636 on: August 12, 2014, 07:16:21 am »

That's a very nice effect on that blade.

(And TD is a basic safety rule and over-rated. If you're pointed downrange or there's some-one/-thing seriously worth putting your foresight upon, I've usually already taken in the slack.)
Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #1637 on: August 13, 2014, 04:56:38 am »

good luck with it!

Interestingly enough, the blackness that you see all over the stock and the metal is in fact protective grease, though it's not a manufactured one, it's a natural one. Apparently, when put in to storage, the Nepalese covered them in yak grease (some say it was straight up fat, documentation isn't too clear). On top of that, the grease has attracted brick dust to it over the last 150 years or so. Typically, the darker the nastiness is (and the more of it there is) the better the gun cleans up. Since those photographs were taken, the firearm has been disassembled, the headspace checked on the breechblock/chamber fit, and the barrel checked for serious damage. All checks were done by a professional antique gunsmith (I did the headspace check on my own, and then had it double-checked by the gunsmith) and he said that once I've finished with my restoration, it'll be safe to shoot.

That being said, the first couple rounds will be fired using a very, very long piece of string and it'll be tied town to a tire. Just to be safe. Wink Worst case, it's a really cool piece of unusual history!
Redranger90
Deck Hand

Steady as she goes!

« Reply #1638 on: August 25, 2014, 09:01:25 pm »

Here's one I started making last year, still not really "done" but I've already used it for cons and all that.

Here's a bunch if other pics too
https://flickr.com/photos/126736546@N07/sets/72157646201618970

The original Redneck Steampunk
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1639 on: August 27, 2014, 09:45:22 am »

Nicely done Redranger. And that's a great action shot!
Rory B Esq BSc
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1640 on: August 31, 2014, 08:11:59 pm »

If you don't get 'em with the gun there is always the spanner !

A hefty spanner (wrench) is a true steampunks back up weapon.
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

A.K.A. Scanner Camera Builder

« Reply #1641 on: September 01, 2014, 07:39:38 am »

Yesterday I purchased my first Nerf, a Nerf Furyfire.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I wanted a Nerf Maverick, but I've found the Furyfire at a flea market. I've seen a few Furyfire mods with a shoulder stock added, but I think I want to keep it as a handgun. First thought about modification is shaping the cylinder into a small wooden barrel. Like a miniature wine barrel. For this I need some room above and below the cylinder. I'm going to have to see how much room I can create by cutting away material. I might have to reinforce at some places.
I've seen mods where they opened up the trigger, leaving the two horizontal bars. I think I'm going to go for that.
The Nerf decals are going to be sanded down. I don't like the fake screws, so they are going to go. As a southpaw, I'm constantly looking at the screw holes on the lefthand side of the gun. I'm going to have to find a way to work around that, without removing the way to take it apart, if necessary.

For paint I'm thinking about painting the barrel metalic (gold, brass, silver) and for durability applying a coat of resin. I haven't decided about the rest of the colors, but I don't think I want the conventional black or brown.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 07:45:10 am by bicyclebuilder » Logged

The best way to learn is by personal experience.
sirscott
Deck Hand

« Reply #1642 on: September 03, 2014, 06:51:28 pm »

A (very) humble attempt for your inspection and criticism. This is my "Rifle" , made from an old plant sprayer , collapsible walking stick ,alarm clock ,and some pipe clips from wilkos (liberally sprayed with brass paint of course) the entire affair can be disassembled with a pen knife into its constituent parts if a walk home through non-punk is needed. This is my first attempt at anything of this sort , and my skills are minimal , so comments and suggestions are appreciated
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 06:53:33 pm by sirscott » Logged
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1643 on: September 03, 2014, 07:15:08 pm »

A (very) humble attempt for your inspection and criticism. This is my "Rifle" , made from an old plant sprayer , collapsible walking stick ,alarm clock ,and some pipe clips from wilkos (liberally sprayed with brass paint of course) the entire affair can be disassembled with a pen knife into its constituent parts if a walk home through non-punk is needed. This is my first attempt at anything of this sort , and my skills are minimal , so comments and suggestions are appreciated

I do like what you have done with this. It most certainly looks the part, and it's impressive how you have brought very disspirate parts together to achieve this. And a very sensible idea to be able to convert it to something that looks very unlike a weapon; you can't be too careful these days! Hmm, could be a Steampunk version of a 'secret agent' type weapon; the individual parts look innocuous, but put them together...

Yours,
Miranda.
sirscott
Deck Hand

« Reply #1644 on: September 03, 2014, 07:41:26 pm »

I do like what you have done with this. It most certainly looks the part, and it's impressive how you have brought very disspirate parts together to achieve this. And a very sensible idea to be able to convert it to something that looks very unlike a weapon; you can't be too careful these days! Hmm, could be a Steampunk version of a 'secret agent' type weapon; the individual parts look innocuous, but put them together...

Yours,
Miranda.

Thanks! It may no longer look like a sniper weapon , though no doubts the constabulary would have some questions as to why I was carrying half a hundred weight of assorted brass around for no obvious reason  Grin
Moriarty
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #1645 on: September 03, 2014, 08:57:50 pm »

Hello Sirscott, I like what you have done here. It makes me think of a steamed version of the secret sniper weapon from the film "The Day of the Jackal"
I would just say it dose not seem to have any form of trigger?
sirscott
Deck Hand

« Reply #1646 on: September 04, 2014, 11:48:11 am »

Hello Sirscott, I like what you have done here. It makes me think of a steamed version of the secret sniper weapon from the film "The Day of the Jackal"

Indeed it does not. As yet I havent worked out a good way of attaching one without seriously mangling the tubing of the walking stick. Suggestions are welcome if you have any.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1647 on: September 04, 2014, 06:51:45 pm »

Indeed it does not. As yet I havent worked out a good way of attaching one without seriously mangling the tubing of the walking stick. Suggestions are welcome if you have any.
Of course, there's nothing that says a trigger has to be of the traditional 'pull back a leaver with your index-finger' sort. Anything that is in reach of your hands as you hold the weapon could be used to trigger the 'discharge', e.g. what about the cable release from a camera or a button on the back end of the top tube?

Yours,
Miranda.
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #1648 on: September 04, 2014, 10:58:39 pm »

As it's an adjustable walking stick you could do a slide on or wrap around section that fits into place over the adjustment notches.
If you have the stick set with on or two of the holes above the locking pin, you have space for a  small supporting rod to go into the stick.
You can use pipe clamps over felt, leather or cork to hold the section more firmly in place without scarring the original stick.
Decent ship Sargent
Gunner
England England

« Reply #1649 on: September 05, 2014, 05:24:37 pm »

What a fantastic bit of kit! I love it, don't change a thing.

"Still swinging both ways Rochester?"
"Jamie, I swing every way!!!!"
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: