The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 24, 2017, 03:29:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trying to find Victorian era books  (Read 909 times)
Don Ramo
« on: August 09, 2007, 11:04:56 am »

Without breaking my bank account, and hoping poor little Piggy can be put back together again, are there any librarians in the community? If so, do any of you have the ability to liberate books from untimely deaths into obscurity by giving them homes to those of us here?

I ask as friends of mine back in dear old New England were able to rescue a very well preserved copy of Charles Rockwell Lanman's Sanskrit Reader: With Vocabulary and Notes published in 1888 that they gifted to me. The fate of being deposited in the nearest dumpster was deemed the proper course of action by the library director. The publication was spared by my friends who were clearing the stocks of a library which they had been working for and as they were trying to find homes for rare books.

I don't remember many details of the rest of the story, it's been awhile, but I do know that there were some very interesting books that were kept by the state library system because they were last copies and rare editions. I recall one volume in particular that was Carroll's Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass that had colored plates that were protected by tissue pages.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: