The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 22, 2017, 02:40:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: seeking a japanese looking pocket watch  (Read 3416 times)
videoref
Swab

Australia Australia

« on: April 14, 2011, 01:09:13 pm »

Hi all, abit new to all this and steampunk itself, anyway have been looking to make a watch (using a bought watch and making the band) and have a design in mind, but for it I am looking for an antique, Japanese looking watch face, preferable brass and if it had kanji ( Japanese characters) on it so much the better:)

Any advice or direction for a newby would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks all!
crookedfingers
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

"What We Know of the Ether" - 1906

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 01:21:38 pm »

Have you thought of making a watch face? I would think it would be possible, and maybe etch or engrave the kanji in.
Another possibility is to glue some thin, opaque japanese paper onto the existing pace plate (sand it first to even out the surface and provide grip) You could draw the kanji on yourself. (before you glue, in case you slip) Smiley

Teleportation! See me go from nought to zero in zero seconds!
videoref
Swab

Australia Australia

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 02:02:52 pm »

that maybe the best way to go about it, i have started to look into etching and also printing but as i have done neither will probably take some time to perfect, anyway i will keep looking for an existing watch with the face i want, 

i found something like the watch face i am thinking,  forget the watch but a face something similar to this is what i am looking for, if anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appricated:)
videoref
Swab

Australia Australia

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 02:03:57 pm »

and thanks for the advice crookedfingers!!
Lt. Thomas Corvidae
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Gentleman Artist and Collector of Curious Things

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 04:03:49 pm »

That watch face almost reminds me of a feng shui compass face. Kinda like this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/57/Fengshui_Compass.jpg

Which might be quite neat. I will be making a few different watch faces in a little while as well. Seems to be the easiest (I hope) way to go about it.

“Can a magician kill a man by magic?” Lord Wellington asked Strange. Strange frowned. He seemed to dislike the question. “I suppose a magician might,” he admitted, “but a gentleman never could.”
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 08:28:10 am »

My Dear Videoref -
One difficulty of finding a "japanese style" pocketwatch face will be that the japanese manufactury of horological devices is relatively recent - Clocks in The "pre Edo" period consists mainly of gifts from europeans. About the year 1600, Christian missionaries set up a school for making clocks, organs and astronomical equipment .

During the Edo period, many beautiful ornamental clocks were produced, (wadokei) but the Japanese measurement of time was rather different- based on a "Lunar System" - the day was divided into "day " and "night", each of which was subdivided into six segments; but the length of the segments varied with the season.

There were yagura-dokei,  on  stands to accommodate the weights; shaku-dokei, wall-mounted clocks whereby the time was read from the position of the weights; and makura-dokei, spring-driven clocks.

It was only during the Meiji Era that the "western time system" was adopted, and the manufacture of more recognizable clocks began with wall clock called bonbon-dokei and pocket watches, table clocks and alarm clocks. Wrist watches began to be produced in the 1920's, during the later part of the Taisho Era.

As others have pointed out, you are most likely going to have to fabricate the face yourself, however, perhaps these images can give you some ideas -

japanese table clock, possibly of the western style of "12 hours":

chiming pocket watch ( a "lunar system clock" ) with Netsuke said to be ca. 1850

yhs
prof marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
videoref
Swab

Australia Australia

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 03:18:44 am »

that is starting to make a bit more sense now, and those examples look really great, i think a combination of elements of these would do the trick!, thanks Prof Marvel, that was really something i had no idea about.  It is looking like something i am going to have to fabricate myself, thanks for the examples, and that compass really does look similar to the idea that i am thinking! thanks all!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: