The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 18, 2017, 03:50:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 78   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Are You Reading? (Mk. II)  (Read 92524 times)
Miss Tabitha
Deck Hand

A lady never discloses her sources.

« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2011, 05:48:56 pm »

I've just finished my signed copy of Embassytown by China Mieville, and have started the Fantasy Masterworks Compilation of Clark Ashton Smith's writing- The Emperor of Dreams.

I'm torn between following up Emperor with Brandon Sanderson's The Way of Kings, which I'll likely finish in a weekend, or War and Peace, which may be the death of me.

Suggestions?

'Most of us are not lucky enough to be asked to tell our stories; rather, it is simply assumed that we will accede to playing a part in someone else’s, and afterwards quietly fade into obscurity. In a way, this has been true for me. I am no one of importance....
...Yet, I refuse to fade silently into the darkness.'
- From the Memoirs of Adonaii LaCastella
(Its authoress: Miss Tabitha)
Miss Monstreux
Deck Hand
United States United States

« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2011, 06:09:15 pm »

Just finished Boneshaker and now starting Levithian.

Good read, Leviathan. Behemoth (sp?) The second book in the series, is also good. The third comes out later this year, i believe.
Taillte
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2011, 06:18:05 pm »

I'm currently finishing up the last part of The Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell. It's a fantastic book and he's an amazing writer. His books are all historical fiction, this one being about English and the Danish vikings fighting for control.
Cpl. Archibald Lancer
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2011, 11:32:01 pm »

Currently trying to rush to the end of the prose edda (Snorri Sturluson) so I can start on the moon over Soho by Ben Aaronovitch which I bought on Saturday and have been very much looking forward to!
Dr Fidelius
Zeppelin Admiral

Professor of Applied Paleontology, Miskatonic U.

« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2011, 12:04:38 am »

Just finished Stirling's Dies the Fire, started World War Z, two-thirds through The Dante Club, and picking at a big honking picture book about the American Civil War.  On deck is a Teddy Roosevelt biography, William Makepeace Thackeray; Memoirs of a Victorian Gentleman, and a small stack of Baen books for mindless stuff-blows-up-goodness.

The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
pakled
Zeppelin Captain

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2011, 06:07:22 am »

Under the Chilean Flag (actually found this at Gutenberg...or Manybooks, or something) the semi-fictionalzed history of the 19th century war between Chile, Peru, and Bolivia

1636 - Flint, the Saxon uprising.

and IRL - still slogging through Nicholas and Alexandra...Wink
Albertine
Deck Hand
Denmark Denmark

Adventure is out there!

« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2011, 12:35:50 pm »

I read each of the books in "The Hunger Games" series in succession, each in one day, respectively. I couldn't put them down! I love evil futuristic government books....
I thoroughly enjoyed it too! I haven't gotten around to reading the last two, but I will as soon as I pull myself out of the mess that is last week before turning in report Wink
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2011, 04:29:25 pm »

Not reading but a notification of intent.

Mark Hodder's 3rd book in the Burton & Swinburne series, entitled 'Expedition to the Mountains of the Moon', will be out in November and is avaiable to pre-order. So I have. Grin

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
OswaldBastable
Zeppelin Admiral

Not in front of the men..................

« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2011, 05:38:16 pm »

Not reading but a notification of intent.

Mark Hodder's 3rd book in the Burton & Swinburne series, entitled 'Expedition to the Mountains of the Moon', will be out in November and is avaiable to pre-order. So I have. Grin

glad to see hes not resting on his laurels!

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2011, 04:46:43 pm »

I'm about to start Michael Moorcock's Before Armageddon, just so soon as I can get my work out of the way  Cheesy

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Professor Griffiths
Snr. Officer

For God and Country!

« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2011, 03:31:10 am »

May8th-May 10th: Sandman Slim by Richard Kadrey

May 11th-May 13th: Kill the Dead: A Sandman Slim Novel by Richard Kadrey

May 15th-May 17th: Once Dead, Twice Shy by Kim Harrison

Tonight I start The Mercy Thompson Series.

maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2011, 07:24:32 am »

I am enjoying 'The Curious Case of the clockwork Man' - much more detail to the story and the themes around altered realities this time around, a deeper novel then 'Spring Heeled Jack' IMHO.

'...within interventions distance of the embassy...
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2011, 11:01:08 pm »

I finished tonight The Battle of Dorking (1871)- one of a series of invasion novels popular in the later nineteenth century (and of which The War of the Worlds is a later example).  Next up is Jules Verne's short story Dr Trifulgas
ScytheKnight
Officer
Australia Australia

Mysterious Figure

ScytheKnight84
« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2011, 03:05:55 am »

Just started on The Difference Engine... been identifying as a SteamPunk for a couple of years and haven't read this yet.

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."

H.P. Lovecraft

"The Call of Cthulhu."

Are you living in the real world?

Cowboy Bebop, The Movie.
Grymm
Officer
England England

"If I want your opinion I'll thrash it out of you"

« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2011, 04:25:56 pm »

Cross Country Murder Song by Philip Wilding

Dark little book....not quite Wasp Factory dark but a close second.

Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis.

I've tried to see it from your point of view but I can't fit my head up your arse'ole too.
Demetrius Forward
Gunner
England England

I assure you, this is going as I planned. Honest!

Knozzox
« Reply #65 on: May 22, 2011, 08:06:22 pm »

"The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss. I highly recommend it. It's a fantastic story, almost similar in concept to Harry Potter except more mature (not "mature" as in sex, swearing, drugs etc but "mature" as in the plot is more complex, darker plotlines and so on) and, in my opinion, better. Wink

'What the bally hell is "pesto" and can I put it on my toast?'
Miss Tabitha
Deck Hand

« Reply #66 on: May 22, 2011, 08:29:23 pm »

"The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss. I highly recommend it. It's a fantastic story, almost similar in concept to Harry Potter except more mature (not "mature" as in sex, swearing, drugs etc but "mature" as in the plot is more complex, darker plotlines and so on) and, in my opinion, better. Wink

"The Name of the Wind" and its sequel "The Wise Man's Fear" are two of the best fantasies I've read in a long time. They're extremely well written, and the second book, despite being over 900 pages, is terribly absorbing. I was amazed to discover that they were Rothfuss' first two novels.

I certainly do recommend you continue with the sequel, my dear Mr. Forward!
pakled
Zeppelin Captain

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #67 on: May 23, 2011, 12:51:54 am »

Finally put Nicholas and Alexandra to rest...Wink Picked up Anna Kareninna (sp?), still reading 1636, but almost done with that.
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #68 on: May 24, 2011, 03:09:05 am »

Now reading 'The Windup Girl' by Paolo Bacigalupi and loving it.

And Iam glad to hear that Mark Hodder is taking Burton (and no doubt Swinburne) to try to find the source of the Nile.
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2011, 05:41:39 pm »

Just started the fifth 'Pyke Mystery' by Andrew Pepper, 'Bloody Winter'. The previous four being 'The Last Days Of Newgate', 'The Revenge of Captain Payne', 'Kill-Devil and Water' and  'The Detective Branch' and they've all been really good 'whodunnits' set in the early part of the 19th century.

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
aldebaran
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

clfornax
« Reply #70 on: May 25, 2011, 10:01:16 am »

I'm reading Trilobite: Eyewitness to Evolution by Richard Fortey.

Author of Fornax Rising
Miss Tabitha
Deck Hand

« Reply #71 on: May 25, 2011, 02:24:57 pm »

And Iam glad to hear that Mark Hodder is taking Burton (and no doubt Swinburne) to try to find the source of the Nile.

Oh, The Windup Girl is brilliant! It took me a while to get into it, again, being more of a fantasy than sci-fi fan, but it's a decadent, intriguing read. Am very glad that you're enjoying it, sir!
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #72 on: May 26, 2011, 12:09:23 am »

Oh, The Windup Girl is brilliant! It took me a while to get into it, again, being more of a fantasy than sci-fi fan, but it's a decadent, intriguing read. Am very glad that you're enjoying it, sir!

Thank you my dear, I am deeply engrossed in this book and will be left wanting more once it finishes.
Next book - Embassytown.
Mahogany
Officer

« Reply #73 on: May 26, 2011, 04:26:00 am »

I'm currently gorging myself on the Dr Who novels.  I've only read the 11th Doctor books, and not all of them (yet), but I did just pick a 10th Doctor book with Donna as the companion, yay!  Gotta say, the only one I don't like so far is the Forgotten Army.  That was just . . . ugh.  It was painful to read through.  All the others, though?  Harlious and fun and entertaining and just plain awesome!
Theophilus Saxe
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #74 on: May 26, 2011, 03:33:27 pm »

I've just started in on Stephen Hunt's The Kingdom Beyond the Waves. It has a nice, colorful, detailed world setting.

"It's amusing, it's amazing, and it's never twice the same: It's the salt of true adventure and the glamour of the game."   

Talbot Mundy, The Ivory Trail
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 78   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: