The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 21, 2018, 10:01:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 [78] 79   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Are You Reading? (Mk. II)  (Read 109545 times)
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #1925 on: December 16, 2017, 03:45:49 pm »

Just finished (5 minutes ago) Rosamund Pilcher's "Coming Home" (recently made into a film, I believe), one of two of her books lent to me by my next door neighbour. The other is "Winter Solstice", which I may or may not start tomorrow.
groomporter
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

HMA Todd, Combined Highland Expeditionary Force

« Reply #1926 on: December 17, 2017, 02:24:12 am »

Death in the Silent Places.
"extraordinary careers of hunting men like Colonel J.H. Patterson and Colonel Jim Corbett, who stalked legendary man-eaters through the silent darkness on opposite sides of the world"
https://www.amazon.com/Death-Silent-Places-Hathaway-Capstick/dp/0312186185

If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.
-Spider Robinson
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #1927 on: December 17, 2017, 04:23:27 pm »

Have just finished (5 minutes ago - yes, again!!) Rosamund Pilcher's "Winter Solstice". Realised when I read the blurb that I had read it before, but read it again anyway - I do like a good happy ending!!
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #1928 on: December 20, 2017, 10:17:49 am »

I've got a few coffee table books out of the municipal library  on   London's  Georgian  archectecture,  gardens and interiors.  I was looking for information on the London mews  homes.  These came up on the library list here in the far flung regions in the last bastion of the commonwealth

madamemarigold
Officer

« Reply #1929 on: December 21, 2017, 01:04:30 am »

I just finished a Tanith Lee book along with a Dragon riders of Pern, and now starting: "Skys of Pern", "Crimson Death" and "Hungry Souls" for my next ones. (I usually read 2 or 3 at a time.)
Athanor
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

Keep them off-balance and brazen it out!

« Reply #1930 on: December 25, 2017, 05:47:52 am »

Just started "A Living Dinosaur: In Search of Mokele-Mbembe", by Dr. Roy Mackal. Expeditions to "Darkest Africa" (which still exists - just) in search of possible surviving critters from the Cretaceous Era, 65 million years ago . . . . . how Steampunk is that?

Athanor

"Truly I say to you, he who seeks, shall find. And quite often, he shall wish he hadn't."

- Elias Ashmole Crackbone.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #1931 on: December 26, 2017, 09:06:17 pm »

"The Crossing of Antarctica- Original Photographs From The Epic Journey That Fulfilled Shackleton's Dream" by George Lowe and Huw Lewis-Jones.  One of several books I've had for Christmas (and I read one of those last night/ this morning)!

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #1932 on: December 26, 2017, 10:50:56 pm »

Received "Atlas Obscura" for Christmas. Have been dipping in now and then - there really are some weird and wonderful places out there!
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #1933 on: December 26, 2017, 11:03:45 pm »

Got the Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy for Christmas, so im reading that now Cheesy

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
Amelia Harper
Deck Hand
Wales Wales

« Reply #1934 on: January 03, 2018, 09:10:59 pm »

I was very happy to receive Grandville: Force Majeure for Christmas, so that's the last thing I read - slowly, savouring every beautifully drawn panel, with a glass of dark beer in hand.  It's a very satisfying end to the Grandville series by Bryan Talbot, and highly recommended to anyone who likes the idea of Steampunk badgers with big guns!

Steampunk adventure featuring Manchester's Chinatown is now available on Smashwords!
The Ministry of Unladylike Warfare by Lesley Arrowsmith
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1935 on: January 03, 2018, 09:17:39 pm »

I've just finished "The Battleship Holiday: Capital Ship Design and the Naval Treaties". 

Reading my book about the Commonwealth Trans-Antarctic Expedition over Christmas reminded me that I have a similar book that I have never read (shock!) about the various voyages of Sir Earnest Shackleton, so that will be my next read. 
Colonel Hawthorne
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #1936 on: February 03, 2018, 07:13:36 am »

The iron Wyrm Affair by Lilith Saintcrow.

A nice mix of steampunk and sorcery in an alternative Victorian London. This is the first in a series of four (or 3.5 if you're excessively pedantic) and is particularly notable both for a recurring theme around there never being a hansom when one is required, and its chapter names - eg 'Better your Sausage than your Life'.

I believe I shall be acquiring the rest of the series.

Colonel Sir Julius Hawthorne
H.M. Air Privateers (Retd.)

http://capitalsteampunknz.org

Whatever did we do before retro-futurism?
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1937 on: February 04, 2018, 12:41:59 pm »

I'm currently reading the complete ghost stories of M R James.
pakled
Zeppelin Captain

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #1938 on: February 08, 2018, 04:49:40 am »

'Dallas Murphy - Rounding the Horn' - a Travelogue/History/ of all the people who rounded the Cape Horn.
Adventure - terrible things happening to total strangers far away...Wink
pakled
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1939 on: February 15, 2018, 03:34:07 am »

Pip Ballantine/Tee Morris - Thrilling Tales of the Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences - sort of steampunk meets Warehouse 12, albeit magical. Not bad a'tall...
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1940 on: February 18, 2018, 05:23:21 pm »

My current read is Welsh Highland Renaissance, which is the authoritive blow-by-blow account of the rebuilding of the Welsh Highland Railway.  The first third is.... very dry and heavy going.  There's only so much planning law you can read before you want to throw the book on the fire. 
groomporter
Zeppelin Admiral

HMA Todd, Combined Highland Expeditionary Force

« Reply #1941 on: February 19, 2018, 01:19:44 am »

The Sabres of Paradise: Conquest and Vengeance in the Caucasus

https://www.amazon.com/Sabres-Paradise-Conquest-Vengeance-Caucasus/dp/0993092721
Amelia Harper
Deck Hand
Wales Wales

« Reply #1942 on: March 04, 2018, 07:40:49 pm »

I was looking about for some reading matter for one of the characters in the Steampunk story I'm writing, and I found a little gem! 
The Experiences of Loveday Brooke, Lady Detective by Catherine Louisa Pirkis.
Seven stories have been collected in a modern paperback published by Wildside Press, and I'm rather enjoying the tales of country house burglaries and murders.  Loveday is sent all over the country by the detective agency she works for, and she was one of the very first fictional female detectives.  The stories were originally published in Ludgate Magazine in the 1890s.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1943 on: March 04, 2018, 08:00:34 pm »

I'm re-reading "The Adventures of Captain Hatteras" by Jules Verne.  It's been, oh gosh, about 8 years since I last read it.... possibly longer....

I'd forgotten how good it is. 
pakled
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1944 on: March 05, 2018, 03:08:56 pm »

Rings of Anubis -a Folley and Mallory adventure. Borders on a romance novel, but pretty Steampunk so far...
pakled
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1945 on: March 08, 2018, 03:04:32 am »

Betsy Devine - Absolute Zero Gravity - a mishmash of jokes, anecdotes, and amusement skewering the scientific and mathematical persuasions...
Crossbow
Swab

« Reply #1946 on: March 12, 2018, 10:50:02 pm »

The Rift Effect comic on Kickstarter... this may be a tad advertisey...

Love to Steampunk!
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1947 on: April 01, 2018, 01:49:18 pm »

I'm currently reading The Worst Journey in the World by Apsley Cherry-Gerrard, an account of Captain Scott's Terra Nova expedition of 1910-13. 

On the slush pile are Gone to the Continent- the British in Calais 1760 - 1860, a biography of Sir Sam Fay (Edwardian railway magnate and heavily involved in transport logistics in WWI), and early 1920s editions of If I May and Not That It Matters, collections of essays by AA Milne. 
PandaZai
Deck Hand

« Reply #1948 on: April 03, 2018, 10:44:25 pm »

I just started reading Nicholas Nickleby by Charles Dickens. Pretty darn good so far!
PunksatawnyPhil
Swab

« Reply #1949 on: April 10, 2018, 10:55:45 pm »

I enjoyed "The Nautilus Legacy," by Lewis Crow.  It's an in-universe continuation of Verne's 20000 Leagues/Mysterious Island.  Not truly steampunk, though his Nautilus seems a lot like the one from the Disney film (which I LOVE, btw.)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1983822523

Pages: 1 ... 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 [78] 79   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: