The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 24, 2017, 02:58:48 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 [76] 77   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Are You Reading? (Mk. II)  (Read 91551 times)
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #1875 on: November 19, 2016, 07:17:02 pm »

"Bertie" by Jane Ridley- a biography of King Edward VII.

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #1876 on: November 24, 2016, 02:12:03 pm »

Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen.
The Age of Wonder. How the Romantic Generation discovered the Beauty and Terror of Science. , by Richard Holmes.

Well written, entertaining and most informative.

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #1877 on: November 25, 2016, 01:13:23 pm »

Robinson Crusoe to my daughter or as I like to call it.
Despite Murphy's law smacking him repeatedly over the back of the head in the first chapter;
Dick trumpet over here decides to give fate the finger and keeps on crusin' anyway.

Hilarity ensues.....

Thylacinus
Gunner
United States United States

« Reply #1878 on: December 02, 2016, 06:03:30 am »

Everfair, by Nisi Shawl. A steampunk alternate history set in the Congo.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1879 on: December 04, 2016, 11:17:40 am »

Currently reading Wandering Architects, an account of a small group of Arts and Crafts architects who tried to conduct their profession in the manner of the Medieval journeyman master builders. 
Ethereal Ink
Deck Hand

« Reply #1880 on: December 11, 2016, 08:14:09 pm »

Well I noticed Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld in the library stacks last week and picked it up. Read it in a few days and now I'm a forth of the way through Behemoth.

Fun read and a good distraction from my finals this week, haha (which may or may not be a good thing... focus, Ellie, focus!!).
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1881 on: December 18, 2016, 01:48:00 pm »

My current read is 'The Adventures of a Suburbanite' by Ellis Parker Butler. 
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #1882 on: December 25, 2016, 07:55:05 pm »

Cabelas Outdoor Sporting Goods Christmas Catalog !  Grin

Still working The Way Of Zen by Alan Watts. If you get a chance listen to Alan Watt's audio lectures
he has a way of taking the mystery out and making the esoteric and obscure things more understandable.

yhs
prof marvel
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 08:02:10 pm by Prof Marvel » Logged

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1883 on: December 25, 2016, 11:02:50 pm »

I'm actually between books right now.  Last night I finished Per Rail, which is a cherished possession of mine (despite my only buying it the week before).  It's one of those public-relations type books which were written by railway companies to sell their various freight services; this one in particular dates from 1913, there are only a very, very few of them left in existence, it was only published once and it's of particular personal interest to me for two reasons; firstly because it fills a gap in my collection of books and materials relating to the Great Central Railway, secondly because it deals in part with the area of Lincoln that eventually became my University. 
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #1884 on: January 01, 2017, 12:43:27 am »

After four years and 7 rewrites Æther Shadow by yours truly is now available on kindle
Realbook (treebook) due out this year.

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #1885 on: January 01, 2017, 08:09:43 pm »

The Compleat Discworld Atlas.  And it's got a lovely map in the back pocket too.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Colonel Hawthorne
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #1886 on: January 04, 2017, 09:44:42 am »

I'm onto the latter half of Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash.  Cyberpunk, so a little dark, but somehow Mr Stephenson manages to produce quite likeable characters.  I defy anyone to dislike a book whose main character is called Hiro Protagonist.

If you're not familiar with him, The Diamond Age is a very good place to start, with definite steampunk elements.

His books tend to be long, but absorbing.  Perfect for a long flight or just a relaxing holiday.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 09:48:00 am by Colonel Hawthorne » Logged

Colonel Sir Julius Hawthorne
H.M. Air Privateers (Retd.)

http://capitalsteampunknz.org

Whatever did we do before retro-futurism?
pakled
Zeppelin Captain

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #1887 on: January 09, 2017, 12:26:10 am »

Kevin Anderson, Firestorm -ok, it's actually Dieslepunk in a way, but I'm a sucker for alternative technology worldbuilding
Rose Inverness
Snr. Officer

Communing with the Over-soul via you.

« Reply #1888 on: January 10, 2017, 08:47:14 pm »

'Farm City' by Novella Carpenter. References to early 'urban farming' in the late 1800s, as a means of feeding poor/unemployed families. Fun descriptions of the glory and pitfalls of gardening and raising fowl in Oakland, CA. I'm really liking it.

That delicate forest flower,   
With scented breath and look so like a smile,   
Seems, as it issues from the shapeless mould,   
An emanation of the indwelling Life,   
A visible token of the upholding Love,   
That are the soul of this great universe.

~William Cullen Bryant

Trains to Steamtown, this way...
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #1889 on: January 11, 2017, 06:19:12 pm »

Still plowing through Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell

Also trying to finish the last part of my own first novel.  It has some nice writing in it, but I suspect it is not a "good" novel storytelling-wise.  So I will likely finish it, and then have to re-write it, presumably leveraging the work I've written.
Voltin
Zeppelin Captain

Mystery Airship Captain

« Reply #1890 on: January 13, 2017, 12:22:32 am »

"Walking through Walls: A memoir" By Philip Smith

"We often mingle with the world, but our discovery is hidden away, as it can be in a small compass, and no one suspects who or what we are. We pass as tourists among our fellow-men" - Mystery Airship Pilot 1858-1898
Wolfgang Edwards
Deck Hand

« Reply #1891 on: January 15, 2017, 10:25:45 pm »

'A Song of Ice and Fire' series by George RR Martin second time through. I love both the books and the show. I just wish he would finish the books.

If you like Science Fiction, Fantasy, Horror or Steampunk, check out 'The University of Corporeal & Ethereal Studies'
https://store.bookbaby.com/book/The-University-of-Corporeal-and-Ethereal-Studies
MoonlitRain
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #1892 on: February 04, 2017, 10:45:42 pm »

I am currently reading The Fall of the House of Cabal by Jonathan L. Howard which likely needs no introduction as well as Basho's Narrow Road to the Deep North by way of contrast!
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #1893 on: February 05, 2017, 01:46:48 am »

'Neolithic Scotland: Timber, Stone, Earth and Fire' by Gordon Noble.

Great read! Grin
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1894 on: February 05, 2017, 09:38:06 pm »

I'm currently re-reading Connie Willis' time travel series, and have just begun To Say Nothing of the Dog.
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #1895 on: February 07, 2017, 03:53:54 pm »

I have finally finished Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell.

I like the quote (paraphrased here) "A magician might use magic to kill someone, but a gentleman never would."

I am now working on Stephen King's On Writing
Wolfgang Edwards
Deck Hand

« Reply #1896 on: March 25, 2017, 10:18:35 pm »

This book is not Steampunk, but 'Shadow & Claw' by Gene Wolfe is a worthy read for anyone interested in sci-fi, dystopia or dark fantasy. It is well-written, full of interesting ideas, and a great exercise for the mind, as the author writes in a somewhat unusual style and forces you to draw your own conclusions about descriptions and concepts, which are described in ways that evoke more of the fundamental tones and less the physical appearances.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1897 on: March 25, 2017, 10:40:09 pm »

I have spent the last few weeks reading His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman.  Which I rather liked.... one of the very few books where by the end of it I was feeling rather emotionally attached and didn't want to come to the end. 

I'm now reading 'A Catalogue of the Works of Watson Fothergill, Architect'- getting my late Victorian architecture fix for a few months.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #1898 on: March 26, 2017, 01:34:53 am »

In between bucket loads of Neolithic megalithic tomb stuff, I'm reading and re-reading Charlotte MacLeod and J.D. Robb detective stories.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1899 on: March 26, 2017, 08:10:01 pm »

E.W. Hornung's The Amateur Cracksman is the current read.

I wasn't expecting my reading material to take in fantasy sci-fi, provincial Victorian architecture and petty larceny within the space of 72 hours....
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 [76] 77   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: