The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 18, 2017, 07:43:19 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Are You Reading? (Mk. II)  (Read 90518 times)
Keith_Beef
Snr. Officer
France France

« Reply #1825 on: July 28, 2016, 09:22:37 pm »

I'm about 53/64 of the way through His Dark Materials.

--
Keith
qui est in literis
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Who Art In Letters

quiestinliteris
« Reply #1826 on: July 29, 2016, 03:52:05 am »

Working my way through a stack of Anne Perry.

"She knew where she stood, when she stood among books." -The Medium

Qui Est In Literis
The Angry Villagers: Cryptoexterminology Supply
Inflatable Friend
Zeppelin Admiral
Italy Italy

« Reply #1827 on: July 29, 2016, 02:38:04 pm »

Just finished 'The Suicide Exhibition' and 'Red City', both by Justin Richards as part (or the total) of his Never War series.

Weak. Pacing was off, characterisation was weak, heavily clichéd and the action poorly visualised. Worse is the writing crime of having your villain do the opposite of how you characterise them; don't describe them as a solar system conquering menace of vast alien intellect, advanced technology and superior cunning, then write all their actions as if they're incapable of rudimentary tool use and animal intelligence at best.

Overall it rates a firm 'Dont Bother'
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #1828 on: July 30, 2016, 07:58:32 am »

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.
I'm currently rereading miss Jane Austen's Mansfield Park.
A dark journey into despair and melancholy, handled as can only this author.

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #1829 on: July 30, 2016, 12:37:09 pm »

I've just finished 'Ghosts of Karnak' by George Mann. 

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
AstorKaine
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Officer Commanding, Martian Expeditionary Force

« Reply #1830 on: July 30, 2016, 06:57:01 pm »

I've got two books on the go at the moment, both non-fiction (I'd much rather lose myself in the past!)

Life in the Victorian Asylum, by Mark Stevens - a very entertaining book - the first half is laid out like a glossy brochure, describing to you, as the patient, the modern facilities and treatments that are will be employed in curing you of your affliction, whether that be Melancholia, Mania, Moral Insanity, or Amentia. The second half of the book is a more sober account of the grim realities of mental health care and Asylums in the 19th Century.

The Chamberlains: Joseph, Austen and Neville, 1836-1940 by Roger Ward - I've been doing a lot research into the West Midlands in the 19th Century recently, and you can't really do that without looking at some of the big local personalities - Joseph Chamberlain being one of them. It's interesting enough, in places, but leaps from topic to topic with little reference to some things, which is more than a little frustrating. Not sure my interest will hold out long enough to get to poor old Neville, however...
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #1831 on: July 31, 2016, 09:47:49 am »

J D Robb's "in Death" series. Recently got books 1-44 (!) as e-books for $5 au, so having a read and re-read fest at night.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1832 on: August 05, 2016, 06:52:16 pm »

I am re-reading Kim Stanley Robinson's 'Red Mars'.  Which I understand is slated to be turned into a television series?
Keith_Beef
Snr. Officer
France France

« Reply #1833 on: August 06, 2016, 07:52:14 am »

I finished His Dark Materials last week.

A couple of years ago I bought some books by Alan Garner for my son. I remembered their titles from when I was a nipper, but don't remember reading them, so I'm about a third of the way into the Weirdstone of Brisingamen, to be followed by the The Moon of Gomrath.

I just found out that there's a third book in the series, published in 2012, Boneland. I think I'll order that and read it before reading the Owl Service.

AstorKaine
Officer

« Reply #1834 on: August 09, 2016, 04:34:50 pm »

Finished my previous two, and a biography of Brunel into the bargain, so I'm now reading Dirty Old London: The Victorian Fight Against Filth by Lee Jackson.
Colonel Hawthorne
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #1835 on: August 11, 2016, 06:13:58 am »

Dirty Old London sounds interesting - I shall look into it.  A while ago I enjoyed The Great Stink by Stephen Halliday - essentially a biography of Sir Joseph Bazalgette, upon whose whiskers I model my own.

Colonel Sir Julius Hawthorne
H.M. Air Privateers (Retd.)

http://capitalsteampunknz.org

Whatever did we do before retro-futurism?
AstorKaine
Officer

« Reply #1836 on: August 11, 2016, 10:03:50 am »

Dirty Old London sounds interesting - I shall look into it.  A while ago I enjoyed The Great Stink by Stephen Halliday - essentially a biography of Sir Joseph Bazalgette, upon whose whiskers I model my own.

Ah, that's also on my reading list (Frustratingly, this book doesn't really go into any detail about Bazalgette apart from a brief mention)! Dirty Old London is proving an interesting read - although each chapter deals with a specific nuisance, you encounter the same characters again and again as many of the problems were interconnected.

It's a bit bewildering in places, particularly when trying to remember all of the names, but it's presented in a way that keeps you reading - I wasn't sure I'd find a book about Miasma and Effluvia so engaging, but have been happily proved wrong!
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1837 on: August 13, 2016, 01:15:21 pm »

Doing a bit of re-reading at the moment; Red Mars (Kim Stanley Robinson), Second Thoughts of an Idle Fellow (Jerome K. Jerome) and a few others beside. 

But; I have a couple more Jerome K. Jerome books in the post so soon I'll have new material to get to grips with. 
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #1838 on: August 14, 2016, 04:52:18 am »

John Scalzi's Sci-fi series "Old Man's War" boxed set of 3 vols arrived while I was away. have finished reading all three: "Old Man's War", "The Ghost Brigades", and "The Last Colony". There is another associated book I haven't got yet - that is for next month.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1839 on: August 14, 2016, 07:31:54 pm »

Jerome K. Jerome's 'Idle Thoughts of 1905' turned up today. 
Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1840 on: August 15, 2016, 09:16:33 pm »

I just finished reading jean M Auel's Clan of the Cave Bear - hate to be 36 years late to the party but I really enjoyed it, and considering the last book in the series was only released in 2011 it's probably a good thing. I know it's only very loosely based on the very minimal evidence of Neanderthal society in 1980 but I think the world creates works so well.

I picked it up from Oxfam books, so now I shall begin my charity shop quest for Book 2!

cemeteryresearcher.com

'a lighthearted academic blog about funerary practice' - Updates Sundays*

*gremlins permitting
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1841 on: August 19, 2016, 08:05:09 pm »

Having finished "Idle Ideas In 1905" I moved on to "The Diary of a Pilgrimage", and once that is done with I have "Evergreens and Other Short Stories" to get on with.  All by Jerome K. Jerome. 
Colonel Hawthorne
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #1842 on: August 20, 2016, 07:53:50 am »

Just finished The Other Log of Phileas Fogg, in which Philip Jose Farmer finds intergalactic conflict in the pages of Around the World in 80 Days.

About to move on to the first of the Flashman books, which have eluded me lo these many years.

Burgess Shale
Officer

« Reply #1843 on: August 31, 2016, 11:57:54 pm »

I am reading a tale of vengeance in the Old West.
Vengeance and canned pineapple, really, but mostly vengeance.

Six-Gun Gorilla, as seen in The Wizard, 1939.
http://jessnevins.com/sixgungorilla/tableofcontents.html

Dean of the Department of Palaeontology at the American Institute of Natural History and Decorative Arts
AstorKaine
Officer

« Reply #1844 on: September 02, 2016, 08:22:22 am »

^ It wouldn't be vengeance without canned pineapple. Cheesy

Currently reading Mr. Briggs' Hat by Kate Colquhoun, about one of the first murders on the railway.
Keith_Beef
Snr. Officer
France France

« Reply #1845 on: September 03, 2016, 09:25:38 am »

I finished His Dark Materials … I'm about a third of the way into the Weirdstone of Brisingamen, to be followed by the The Moon of Gomrath.

I finished The Weirdstone of Brisingamen and started the The Moon of Gomrath, but then had two weeks off work to go out to the south west, so decided to take Red Mars with me, instead. I'm a little bit past the half-way point. A good book, the science seems well thought-out, but seen "degrees Kelvin" is slightly annoying.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1846 on: September 04, 2016, 10:53:31 am »

I am currently reading 'The Woman in White' by Wilkie Collins (1860).  New to the slush-pile is Kim Newman's 'Hound of the D'Urbervilles'. 
Amelia Harper
Deck Hand
Wales Wales

« Reply #1847 on: September 05, 2016, 06:28:31 pm »

Keith Beef - I hope you enjoyed the Wierdstone of Brisingamen and Moon of Gomrath.  Boneland is a bit different, being about Colin as an older man, and in quite a strange mental state.  It's very good, but not really a children's adventure!
An Alan Garner book I always recommend is Elidor - which starts with the large scale flattening of areas of terraced houses in Manchester.  I remember that happening, and it made a big impact on me.

Steampunk adventure featuring Manchester's Chinatown is now available on Smashwords!
The Ministry of Unladylike Warfare by Lesley Arrowsmith
pakled
Zeppelin Captain

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #1848 on: September 19, 2016, 03:26:03 am »

Shelly Adina - Her own devices...actually a quick read.

Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #1849 on: September 19, 2016, 11:12:08 am »

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.
I've just finished the Kim Stanley Robinson Martian trilogy: Red, Green and Blue Mars.
Fantastic and highly recommendable.

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: