The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 13, 2017, 10:02:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 75 76 77   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Are You Reading? (Mk. II)  (Read 92185 times)
Inflatable Friend
Zeppelin Admiral
Italy Italy

« Reply #1750 on: January 09, 2016, 03:25:26 pm »

The 'White Magic' Fantasy series. What is it with Fantasy and series anyway? A standalone novel is as rare as a short-sleeved magician

Normally always trilogies. I blame the Daily Mail of all fantasy writing - The Lord of the Rings.

Currently reading 'The Happy Prince and other Short Stories' by Oscar Wilde. Out loud, to my 8 month old. He gets bored and angry/falls asleep after around 5 pages so it's slow going.
Used to love/be ensaddened by The Happy Prince when I was a child, if I can sort out a (very) quiet space over the next few months I might see if I can do a recording of it and chuck it up on SoundCloud.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #1751 on: January 09, 2016, 06:43:54 pm »

My current read is Franz Kafka's The Trial.

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Quin
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

Not mad, just a little odd...

« Reply #1752 on: January 09, 2016, 07:21:23 pm »

Just finished "The Library at Mount Char" (not steampunk, about orphans training to be gods -- I quite recommend it but not for the squeamish) and "Emperor Mollusk versus the Sinister Brain" (good one if you're in the mood for some light fare that harkens back to old TV adventure serials, although in this case the protagonist is a conquering alien octopus).
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #1753 on: January 10, 2016, 07:01:55 pm »

Just finished 'The Martian' by Andy Weir.
Enjoyed it.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1754 on: January 14, 2016, 06:30:28 pm »

Currently reading "Dubliners" by James Joyce. 
Quin
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

« Reply #1755 on: January 21, 2016, 04:11:13 am »

Currently reading "Morlock Night" by  K. W. Jeter, one of the original steampunk novels.  Just finished "Yarn" by Jon Armstrong, his second novel in the fashionpunk genre, and "Gideon Smith and the Mechanical Girl" by David Barnett - quite a fun romp. 
Cmdr. Storm
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #1756 on: January 21, 2016, 06:40:38 am »

Currently, I'm reading Airborn & skybreaker by Kenneth Oppel. they're Young Adult Steampunk Novels, and have the Feeling of an Old Time Adventure style "Dime Novel"! you may want to give them a Look.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #1757 on: January 21, 2016, 04:36:03 pm »

the museum experience revisited...it's interesting but rather heavy stuff.

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1758 on: January 23, 2016, 12:30:47 pm »

My current read is 'Three Victories and a Defeat', an account of how Britain gained and lost it's first Empire (ie- the American Colonies) between the 1550s and 1770s. 
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #1759 on: January 26, 2016, 10:58:21 pm »

Once again it's a re-read, this time of all the Mapp and Lucia books by E.F.Benson.  As people they are monstrous but as characters they are marvellous!
Quin
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

« Reply #1760 on: January 27, 2016, 01:10:32 am »

Just finished Felix Palma's "The Map of Time".  Ugh.  Had to force myself to finish it (I was 655 pages into it, seemed a shame not to at least finish).  Unfortunately I have the second book that I have to decide if I want to read now. 
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #1761 on: January 28, 2016, 04:33:15 am »

J. H.Brennan's "A Guide to Megalithic Ireland" - Uni enrolment finalised, so seriously back to work!
Inflatable Friend
Zeppelin Admiral
Italy Italy

« Reply #1762 on: January 30, 2016, 10:11:56 pm »

Currently reading The Secret Venice of Corto Maltese, seeing as I'm living around 30 mins from the city now it's best to read up - I plan on spending a lot of time there!
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #1763 on: February 14, 2016, 11:57:01 am »

Good moening, I've just started The Hundred Days by Patrick O'Brian. Purchased at st George<'s spring booksale yesterday. Along with several (22) other books.
30 minutes from Venice, Inflatable Friend? Oh, my!

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1764 on: February 20, 2016, 12:32:36 pm »

It was a long hard slog, and it took me a month to get through the 680+ pages of closely typed heavy going text, but I've finished Three Victories and A Defeat by Brendan Simms. 

It was well worth the effort!  It's a really interesting piece of work examining British foreign policy from the mid-16th Century up to 1783; the colonisation of North America and preserving the balance of power in Europe, and how the two intermeshed and balanced each other (and how the American colonies were lost because Britain turned away from the system of European alliances).  I'd recommend to anybody who finds this sort of thing fascinating. 

Next up on the reading list is 'Gothic for the Steam Age', an illustrated biography of Sir George Gilbert Scott.   
Colonel Hawthorne
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #1765 on: February 26, 2016, 08:28:12 am »

I've been looking out for this for some time - Michael Moorcock's The Warlord of the Air.

Although published in 1971 (republished 2013, which is how a Kindle version has now come into my posession), there's no question for me that Bastable's adventures fall firmly into the steampunk genre.  I'm enjoying this one and looking forward to consuming The Land Leviathan and The Steel Tsar in due course.

Colonel Sir Julius Hawthorne
H.M. Air Privateers (Retd.)

http://capitalsteampunknz.org

Whatever did we do before retro-futurism?
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1766 on: February 29, 2016, 07:43:47 pm »

Somehow I have found myself without any new books to read.  

Being on holiday for a week, and having some time on my hands, I've rectified that.  

I'm now reading "The Black Cloud" by Fred Hoyle (yes, the selfsame Sir Fred Hoyle, late brilliant astrophysicist and respected Cambridge don, also tried his hand at hard science fiction back in the 1960s), to be followed by "The Pickwick Papers".  
---
Edit: For the first time in a few years I've found a book I couldn't put down until it was finished. The Black Cloud was a work of inspired genius. It starts out as hard science fiction with an apocalyptic plot then quite suddenly becomes... Something else entirely.  Seriously, go and read it. Highly recommended.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 11:54:03 pm by James Harrison » Logged
gaslampfantasy
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1767 on: March 02, 2016, 05:07:19 pm »

At the moment I am reading The World Jones Made by Philip K dick.
Victor Charlington
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1768 on: March 04, 2016, 09:39:12 am »

Just finished Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C Clarke, just started Argo by Antonio Mendez and Matt Baglio
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #1769 on: March 08, 2016, 11:49:18 pm »

Good evening, ladies and gentlemen.
I've just finished Tim Powers' Anubis Gates.
Thank God that's over and done with.

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
pakled
Zeppelin Captain

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #1770 on: March 16, 2016, 03:29:18 am »

In the Middle of Jim Butcher's Cinder Spires, pretty good so far...
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1771 on: March 16, 2016, 03:39:20 am »

In the Middle of Jim Butcher's Cinder Spires, pretty good so far...

My lady's read that...twice. Couldn't stop raving about it. (It's a bit further down my reading list, just yet.)
Quin
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

« Reply #1772 on: March 16, 2016, 08:43:03 am »

Good evening, ladies and gentlemen.
I've just finished Tim Powers' Anubis Gates.
Thank God that's over and done with.

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

I find most of Tim Powers' output to have that effect.  And yet I keep reading them.
VampirateMace
Zeppelin Captain

Mein Hexapod

« Reply #1773 on: March 16, 2016, 05:47:48 pm »

Just finished Tea Krulos' Monster Hunters: On the Trail with Ghost Hunters, Bigfooters, Ufologists, and Other Paranormal Investigators. There's kind of a sad honesty to it.

I don't live close enough to a library to have a card without getting charged, the librarians at the library next to my work probably think I'm hiding from someone and afraid I'll leave a digital/paper trail (since I've also never asked to use their Wi-Fi and don't have smartphone).

Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #1774 on: March 16, 2016, 06:45:17 pm »

Just completed Tolstoys Anna Karenina and really enjoyed it; having never even watched the movie (any version of the movie) I had only a vague idea of the story and was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't just about Anna and Vronsky.  Who knows, I may try War and Peace again - I've never managed to get very far with it although I have tried several times!
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 75 76 77   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: