The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 14, 2017, 11:05:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 77   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Are You Reading? (Mk. II)  (Read 92241 times)
Eugenia Gunn
Deck Hand

« Reply #175 on: July 17, 2011, 09:14:49 pm »

I just finished Corsets & Clockwork, 13 short stories of steam and romance. Personally, I didn't think most of the stories were very strong, but eh, you get what you paid for (which was nothing, for me. Libraries are magical places.). For some of the stories, steampunk played a second fiddle to romance, and others just seemed weird. Now the problem is trying to find something new to read.
Ezra Hogbin
Zeppelin Captain
England England

Sir Hilary Codswallop, at your service

« Reply #176 on: July 17, 2011, 09:57:55 pm »

Not Steampunk, but: I finally got around to reading Bram Stoker's Dracula.
So far a good read. I like the way it is written as a diary, reminds me of Around the World in 80  Days.

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #177 on: July 18, 2011, 02:37:17 pm »

So far a good read. I like the way it is written as a diary, reminds me of Around the World in 80  Days.

And when you've read it you'll realise how little of the actual narrative has made it faithfully and completely into any of the myriad adaptations over the years. Like Well's 'War Of The Worlds' and other classics that still await accurate translations to film.
 People think they know the story but so few actually read the source. Enjoy.

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
aldebaran
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

clfornax
« Reply #178 on: July 19, 2011, 02:35:11 am »

I have two fascinating tomes on the go...Essentials of Human Anatomy and Physiology and Introduction to General, Organic and Biochemistry. School's back!

Then there are these other things called "homework" and "lab reports."

Author of Fornax Rising
Dr Fidelius
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Professor of Applied Paleontology, Miskatonic U.

« Reply #179 on: July 19, 2011, 12:29:52 pm »

Currently reading Female Complaints about Lydia Pinkham and her patent medicine.  Interesting, as Dr. Fidelius began his existence as a snake oil salesman.

The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
pakled
Zeppelin Captain

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #180 on: July 19, 2011, 01:41:47 pm »

Real book side - Ruled Britannia - Harry Turtledove
Ebook side - Pawn of Prophecy - Eddings (read the middle books, but not all of the books. A hazard when shopping in used book stores...Wink
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #181 on: July 19, 2011, 03:55:06 pm »

I have finally, finally finished Mary Shelley's The Last Man.  The ending was good; but didn't really make up for the woeful first 250 or so pages.  Next on the reading list is, oh gosh, I don't know- it could be Phineas Finn by Anthony Trollope, Faust or Dante's Divine Comedy, a motley collection of Victorian ghost stories or who-knows-what. 

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Captain Shipton Bellinger
Master Tinkerer

Why the goggles..? In case of ADVENTURE!

« Reply #182 on: July 19, 2011, 05:06:29 pm »

H. G. Wells' War and the Future - his contemporary thoughts and reports on the Great War, written in 1916.

Oh boy! Did he get things wrong!

Capt. Shipton Bellinger R.A.M.E. (rtd)

HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #183 on: July 20, 2011, 02:10:49 am »

Hiliaire Belloc "William the Conquerer"
  to be followed by his "The Reformation - Why it Happened"
Cheers
Harold
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 05:18:33 am by HAC » Logged

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
TVC15
Zeppelin Admiral

Extremely hazardous...have some?

« Reply #184 on: July 21, 2011, 12:16:49 am »

Finally bought a book to read when the timing is now. Phoenix Rising: A Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences Novel. Interesting cover art. Definitely a steampunk inspired book.

Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time...
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #185 on: July 21, 2011, 03:50:47 pm »

I've just started Faust.  I have both parts of it and the Urfaust to read.
Professor Hesketh
Officer
England England

Astonishist

« Reply #186 on: July 21, 2011, 07:52:28 pm »

And when you've read it you'll realise how little of the actual narrative has made it faithfully and completely into any of the myriad adaptations over the years. Like Well's 'War Of The Worlds' and other classics that still await accurate translations to film.

Quite right!  Although adapting epistolary novels such as Dracula and (to an extent) Frankenstein you're kind of trying to translate chalk into cinematic cheese (and I use the word advisedly...  still luv 'em though).  So I can generally forgive most adaptations (except the later Hammer Dracula films - after "Drink the Blood of" it was down, down and down again.  Saw "AD 1972" at a cinema once.  There were about six in the audience and a plaintive wail set up from the back part way through: "this is the worst film I've ever seen...")

On a short story note, just reading some ghost stories by E Nesbit (Yes!  The one who wrote "The Railway Children").  One called "The Five Senses" is pretty steamy with a mad scientist, research, a lab full of brass n' glass.  Splendid stuff.  Moving onto to some others shortly by Amyas Northcote and Oliver Onions.  They don't name folk like that any more, do they?
Puck
Gunner

Lord, what fools these mortals be!

« Reply #187 on: July 21, 2011, 10:20:14 pm »

Walden by Henry David Thoreau.

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
~ Oscar Wilde
Reverend Panic
Zeppelin Captain

Steamsloth

« Reply #188 on: July 21, 2011, 11:30:54 pm »

Snagged me a copy of the reprinted Infernal Devices, really enjoying it!

Come and chat in the IRC, #Brassgoggles on Freenode, or click this link for the Browser based IRC Application:

http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=brassgoggles

(We have cookies.)
macloud
Gunner

« Reply #189 on: July 22, 2011, 01:00:22 am »

Starting to read john carters chronicles of mars - how anyone can think Tars Tarkas is anything like JarJar binks is beyond me....
Prof. Michael Masters
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

Aether Academy Labs: Mad Science For the Masses

« Reply #190 on: July 26, 2011, 12:57:34 am »

Currently between books a.t.m. but the last one that i read was "The Girl in the Steel Corset" by Kady Cross. It was an easy read and Quite enjoyable.

From the Desk of:

Professor Michael Masters
Aether Academy Headmaster
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #191 on: July 26, 2011, 12:20:09 pm »

Got a few steampunk novels to read - including 'Heartless'.

I wonder if 'brainless' or 'gormless' will come out next?

No reference intended to the series, well worth reading and very witty.

'...within interventions distance of the embassy...
aldebaran
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

clfornax
« Reply #192 on: July 26, 2011, 12:41:51 pm »

I read Heartless over the weekend - fun, but frustrating because Alexia was pregnant during the whole thing.

Current fun-time read is Why Darwin Matters by Michael Shermer.
Professor Higgins
Zeppelin Captain

What, what !!!

« Reply #193 on: July 28, 2011, 03:05:12 pm »

Just finished Ghost Story, book 13 of the Dresden files.  Not sure what to read next out of the 16 gig of ebooks I have Smiley
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #194 on: July 28, 2011, 03:50:14 pm »

Having only come to the worlds of Robert Rankin via his most recent quartet of books I have decided to investigate further.

I am therefore going to start at the beginning with 'The Antipope', first in, what I believe is 8 books so far, in the 'Brentford Trilogy'. Grin
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #195 on: July 28, 2011, 04:41:57 pm »

Having only come to the worlds of Robert Rankin via his most recent quartet of books I have decided to investigate further.

I am therefore going to start at the beginning with 'The Antipope', first in, what I believe is 8 books so far, in the 'Brentford Trilogy'. Grin

I can lend you 'The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse' and it's sequel 'The Toyminator'. I also  have 'Necrophenia' and 'Retromancer' if you'd like to borrow those as well.

Personally I've just finished  reading 'Phoenix Rising: A Ministry of Strange Occurances Novel'. Lead character names aside it was a very enjoyable, very steampunk adventure. I'm currently awaiting  'The Curious Case of the Clockwork Man ' by Mark Hodder to  be delivered and I currently have Rockula's copy Peter Blaylock's 'Homunculus' which I'm yet to start.

Have just added this to my Amazon wish list!

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
Ezra Hogbin
Zeppelin Captain
England England

Sir Hilary Codswallop, at your service

« Reply #196 on: July 29, 2011, 12:36:32 pm »

Well, I finished it last night and your observation was spot on!
Considering Dracula et al are usually of the horror genre, I wouldn't mark this as a horror novel in any way. It was more of a thriller maybe.
It was, though, a most enjoyable read and I have passed it on to my daughter. My good lady has borrowed the sequel from the library for me, but I'm not sure whether or not to read it.
TVC15
Zeppelin Admiral

Extremely hazardous...have some?

« Reply #197 on: July 29, 2011, 10:47:20 pm »

Picked up a copy of "The Court of the Air" by Stephen Hunt. Have no idea if this is steampunk or fantasy or sci-fi. Bought it on a 'hunch' and hope it's suitably entertaining and not a cure for insomnia.
aldebaran
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

clfornax
« Reply #198 on: August 01, 2011, 11:36:37 am »

I've made a start on Infernal Devices.
Dr Fidelius
Zeppelin Admiral

Professor of Applied Paleontology, Miskatonic U.

« Reply #199 on: August 01, 2011, 01:26:59 pm »

Picked up a copy of "The Court of the Air" by Stephen Hunt. Have no idea if this is steampunk or fantasy or sci-fi. Bought it on a 'hunch' and hope it's suitably entertaining and not a cure for insomnia.

Stephen identifies himself and his work as Steampunk; take that as you wish.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 77   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: