The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 16, 2017, 09:53:27 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 [70] 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Are You Reading? (Mk. II)  (Read 92413 times)
Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Fabricator and temporally confused.

« Reply #1725 on: November 29, 2015, 08:35:26 pm »

I'm working my way through Ann Leckie's "Ancillary" trilogy.  I've read Ancillary Justice and am about halfway through Ancillary Sword.  A newly purchased Ancillary Mercy awaits on the side table.

These aren't steampunk, but space opera, a vengeance story of an almost old fashioned sort with a very appealing unself-conscious (ironically so) hero.

The first book won All The AwardsTM* two years ago after it was published, and they were clearly well deserved.  It's mind-bendingly good.

*  Actually it won the Hugo Award, the Nebula Award, the Arthur C. Clarke Award, the BSFA Award, and the Locus Award, and made the James Tiptree Jr. Award Honor List.  It was shortlisted for the Philip K. Dick Award and the Compton Crook Award.

Living on steam isn't easy.
-- Jessica Fortunato

Have you heard?  It's in the stars, next July we collide with Mars.
-- Cole Porter

That's not sinister at all.
-- Old family saying
The Librarian
Swab

Wales Wales

« Reply #1726 on: November 30, 2015, 04:55:04 pm »

I've just got to recommend the Mark Hodder series of 'Burton & Swinburne adventures. For me, utterly fantastic reads.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #1727 on: November 30, 2015, 06:27:17 pm »

I finished 'Second Thoughts of an Idle Fellow' (Jerome K Jerome) last night.  This leaves me free to carry on with 'The Railway Detective' series, of which I think I am up to book 6 or 7.

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #1728 on: December 02, 2015, 07:43:21 pm »

I'm working my way through Ann Leckie's "Ancillary" trilogy.  I've read Ancillary Justice and am about halfway through Ancillary Sword.  A newly purchased Ancillary Mercy awaits on the side table.

These aren't steampunk, but space opera, a vengeance story of an almost old fashioned sort with a very appealing unself-conscious (ironically so) hero.

The first book won All The AwardsTM* two years ago after it was published, and they were clearly well deserved.  It's mind-bendingly good.

*  Actually it won the Hugo Award, the Nebula Award, the Arthur C. Clarke Award, the BSFA Award, and the Locus Award, and made the James Tiptree Jr. Award Honor List.  It was shortlisted for the Philip K. Dick Award and the Compton Crook Award.

I will have to look out for these as I enjoy good sf, which is unfortunately all too rare.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #1729 on: December 04, 2015, 10:09:35 am »

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.
I'm nearing the end of The Chinese Bell Murders by Robert van Gulik.
Written in lovely English, this is one of the stories of the famous Judge Dee.

Most enjoyable!

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1730 on: December 05, 2015, 10:24:27 pm »

I finished 'Railway to the Grave' yesterday (Edward Marston), and although I have the rest of the series on the shelf waiting to be read I want to split them up a bit (I made the mistake of reading 5 or 6 Discworld one after the other once and they all merged into one after a while...)

So in Birmingham today I managed to pick up 'The Festiniog Railway' by James I. C. Boyd (volumes 1 and 2), 'Dubliners' by James Joyce and 'The Trial' by Franz Kafka. 
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #1731 on: December 05, 2015, 11:29:01 pm »

"The Prehistory of Britain and Ireland" by Richard Bradley. And yes, I know I don't have a life! It's for Uni.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1732 on: December 10, 2015, 06:03:57 pm »

Finished 'The Festiniog Railway' (volume 1, history of the line to 1954) last night.  Shall be picking volume 2 (History 1954- 1974 and locomotives) tonight.  It really needs a volume 3 to carry on post-1974...
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #1733 on: December 10, 2015, 11:01:15 pm »

There is a project for you, then, James!
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1734 on: December 12, 2015, 10:38:03 am »

There is a project for you, then, James!

Cheesy

Rose Inverness
Snr. Officer

Communing with the Over-soul via you.

« Reply #1735 on: December 14, 2015, 11:14:04 am »

Just beginning 'The Snake Stone' by Jason Goodwin.

That delicate forest flower,   
With scented breath and look so like a smile,   
Seems, as it issues from the shapeless mould,   
An emanation of the indwelling Life,   
A visible token of the upholding Love,   
That are the soul of this great universe.

~William Cullen Bryant

Trains to Steamtown, this way...
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #1736 on: December 17, 2015, 10:51:37 am »

I'm in the first chapters of 'Portrait of a Lady', by Henry James

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1737 on: December 17, 2015, 07:44:03 pm »

Pretty much bombed through Vol.2 of 'The Festiniog Railway' and 'Blood on the Line'. 

I'm now about 1/3 of the way through book 9 of The Railway Detective, 'The Stationmaster's Farewell'. 
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #1738 on: December 17, 2015, 08:13:49 pm »

Just beginning my annual re-read of 'The Hogfather' by Terry Pratchett.
A bitter-sweet experience this year.
Thylacinus
Gunner

« Reply #1739 on: December 18, 2015, 02:53:22 pm »

Non-fiction - A brace of books from the library: Great War Fashion by Lucy Adlington and Art Nouveau Fashion by Clare Rose. On the fiction front, Perdido Street Station has just come in on the library's e-book lending system.
Quin
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

Not mad, just a little odd...

« Reply #1740 on: December 20, 2015, 06:00:55 am »

Just finished "A Transatlantic Tunnel, Hurrah!" by Harry Harrison, and before that "Steampunk! An Anthology Of Fantastically Rich And Strange Stories" by Kelly Link and Gavin J. Grant. 

The first is more of a novella than a novel and felt like the skeleton of a story, quickly moving through required plot points before tidying everything up just in time for the conclusion.

The second is probably the best anthology I've ever read, and certainly the best steampunk anthology.  Most SP anthologies I've read tend to have grim stories and/or stretch the limits of what steampunk means.  None of the stories in this one will leave you wondering why it was included in a steampunk collection, and for the most part they're all very positive stories.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1741 on: December 23, 2015, 03:34:16 pm »

Peril on the Royal Train (The Railway Detective, book 10) by Edward Marston.  So far there are 11 novels and a collection of short stories in the series.  Glad I'm nearing the current end of them!- though they're good one of the characters really, really annoys me (nothing would give me greater pleasure to read of his being chucked under a train, that's how aggravating I find him) and also some of the historical research- I mean the most basic of historical research- is lacking.  Most times I can overlook that but this time?  Nope.  If you even manage to get the railway company wrong, what hope is there?

Really, really boring bit in the spoiler. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 03:39:08 pm by James Harrison » Logged
Amalia Zeichnerin
Deck Hand

« Reply #1742 on: December 23, 2015, 09:04:21 pm »

Recently, I enjoyed reading the Dieselpunk Adventure novel "Storming", by K.M. Weiland.
It's about a biplane pilot who takes part in a flying circus and then witnesses a mysterious woman falling from the sky.
She later claims she lives up there and of course he thinks she's crazy. But that is only the start...Wink

I've written a review here:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/28099189-storming
Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1743 on: December 24, 2015, 12:25:52 am »

I've just finished reading Kim Newman's Moriarty book, which I actually rather enjoyed. I am not used to enjoying a book where the main character is an irredeemable human being. Colonel 'Basher' Moran is a an absolute b*stard but he plot was so gripping I didn't mind so much...It's really good o see what makes the great villain tick a little!

cemeteryresearcher.com

'a lighthearted academic blog about funerary practice' - Updates Sundays*

*gremlins permitting
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1744 on: December 25, 2015, 07:52:54 pm »

I am currently reading "The Flying Carpet: Adventures in a Biplane from Timbuktu to Everest and Beyond" written by Richard Halliburton and originally published in 1933. 
pakled
Zeppelin Captain

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #1745 on: December 31, 2015, 05:03:59 am »

Eric Partridge, A Dictionary of Catch Phrases - slang and comebacks more or less, though it was written 40 years ago or so (mid-70s). At last I know what 'Bob's yer Uncle' refers to, just waiting to reach mysterious ones like 'taking the p*ss' and 'I love my wife, but oh you kid;...Wink
Amelia Harper
Deck Hand
Wales Wales

« Reply #1746 on: January 01, 2016, 03:28:33 pm »

Like Crescat Scientia last month, I have been reading Ancillary Justice and Ancillary Sword - in fact, I sat up past the fireworks at midnight last night because I was so wrapped up in the story of Ancillary Sword!  I got quite fond of Lt. Tisarwat, and I'm looking forward to finding out what's on the other side of the Ghost Gate.  Really excellent space opera, which reminded me in places of CJ Cherryh and Babylon 5.  So now I'm on the lookout for Ancillary Mercy, the last in the trilogy.

Steampunk adventure featuring Manchester's Chinatown is now available on Smashwords!
The Ministry of Unladylike Warfare by Lesley Arrowsmith
Dr Robert Maycock
Deck Hand
Scotland Scotland

« Reply #1747 on: January 02, 2016, 11:38:45 am »

I've just started reading Sketches By Boz, by Charles Dickens. It is a really humorous and insightful look into daily life in England in the 1830s, and brings the characters to life in such a way you could almost hear and feel them.
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #1748 on: January 07, 2016, 10:53:14 am »

The Portrait of a Lady, by Henry James.

So very, very cruel.

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
pakled
Zeppelin Captain

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #1749 on: January 09, 2016, 03:25:12 am »

The 'White Magic' Fantasy series. What is it with Fantasy and series anyway? A standalone novel is as rare as a short-sleeved magician
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 [70] 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: