The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 13, 2017, 12:18:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 77   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Are You Reading? (Mk. II)  (Read 92187 times)
aldebaran
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

clfornax
« Reply #150 on: June 29, 2011, 06:11:52 am »

I am currently reading K W Jeter's Infernal Devices.  Thoroughly excellent thus far. 

Oh, cool! I got it for my Kindle the other day and look forward to reading it.

Author of Fornax Rising
Major Willoughby Chase
« Reply #151 on: June 29, 2011, 08:14:36 am »

Currently reading David Weber's "The Short Victorious War" on the Kindle.  THere will be a brief break from Honorverse after this book as with the new Jonathan Green book being out, I want to read through the series again Smiley
ZenGwen
Gunner
Scotland Scotland

Zombie Philosopher

« Reply #152 on: July 01, 2011, 11:35:00 pm »

I'm listening to The Lies of Locke Lamora, which I can't recommend highly enough, and reading Wired For War, which is also good. Just finished Living Dolls by Natasha Walter which everyone should go read Right Now.

Young, courageous, and out of my mind.
Miles (a sailor)Martin
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Just a head full of random thoughts

« Reply #153 on: July 05, 2011, 04:04:57 pm »

Quote post of pakled05
Someone's lent me Distant Thunder, by a Taylor Anderson. The far-fetched premise is a WWII destroyer lost in an alternate universe of lemur-like floating cities...actually much better than it sounds...Wink Yes, it's a series...Wink

bit better explanation for Why it could be considered steampunk
 ! the ships from modern times WERE  all built Pre WW1 so are of Edwardian Vintage.
 2 loads of color built around fighting evolved Dinos in East India Men warships
 3 Lots of info on doing a kickstart project with a medieval tech and upgradind to Victorian era
 4 an actual princess named Victoria
                                      Miles
 yes i am a fan of the sieries. I am kitbashing the uss Walker out of the HMS Campbelltown kit

Who you calling old, Sonny boy? Just because my birth certificate is on birch bark there isn't any reason to be calling names.
machinist for hire/ mechanic at large
Warning : minstrel with a five string banjo
pakled
Zeppelin Captain

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #154 on: July 06, 2011, 03:33:50 am »

Ah...well, uh...Wink

let me add in my defense that prior to starting this book, I did just read Boneshaker in 2 sittings...Wink Y'all talked me into it...Wink

Currently also reading Rats,Bats, and Vats, South African Sci-Fi....from the Baen downloads
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #155 on: July 06, 2011, 11:59:55 am »

I am currently reading Mary Shelley's The Last Man.  Hardly published to critical acclaim when first released in the early nineteenth century, I'm now finding why that was the case.  The prose is turgid and a struggle to get through, to say the least, and the plot a real slow burner.  I'm around 70 pages in and the protaganist is by no means yet 'the last man'.  As an example of a book few may have heard of it's good, but not of the same calibre as Frankenstein and frankly a big disappointment.   

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #156 on: July 06, 2011, 12:34:55 pm »

I'm currently reading 'Phoenix Rising' (A Ministry of Peculiar Occurances Novel) by Pip Ballantyne and Tee Davis. Despite it being clearly influenced by The X-Files and Warehouse 13 it's shaping up quite nicely at the moment. I'm about a quarter of the way through it 400 or so pages. My only complaint is the names of the two main characters; A 'fiesty' New Zealand female field agent with a penchant for dynamite and a 'geeky' repressed but  organised and inventive English male Archivist. Their names? Eliza Braun and Wellington Books!!!  Roll Eyes  'Braun and Books'Oh Puh-lease! They may have well been called 'Feisty and Geeky'
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 06:19:40 pm by Capt. Dirigible » Logged

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
Swayback
Gunner

« Reply #157 on: July 06, 2011, 03:39:01 pm »

I'm listening to The Lies of Locke Lamora, which I can't recommend highly enough, ...

Hey-
  I'll second this, it's a wonderful book.  The second one in the series Red Seas Under Red Skies is not as good, but still worth reading.  According to the author's (Scott Lynch) website, there are supposed to be several more books, but it's been a few years since the second.

Be Seeing You

James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #158 on: July 06, 2011, 04:39:54 pm »

I'm currently reading 'Phoenix Rising' (A Ministry of Peculiar Occurances Novel) by Pip Ballantyne and Tee Davis. Despite it being clearly influenced by The X-Files and Warehouse 13 it's shaping up quite nicely at the moment. I'm about a quarter of the way through it 400 or so pages. My only complaint is the names of the two main characters; A 'fiesty' New Zealand female field agent with a penchant for dynamite and a 'geeky' repressed but  organised and inventive English male Archivist. Their names? Eliza Braun and Wellington Books!!!  Roll Eyes Oh Puh-lease!

I have my eyes on that one... it's definitely on my 'I want a copy' list.  I'm listening to the accompanying podcast, which is great, but I've been a Pip Ballantyne fan since her 'Chasing the Bard'.  
citizen_erased
Zeppelin Captain
Netherlands Netherlands

kojitmal
« Reply #159 on: July 06, 2011, 10:39:07 pm »

I am currently alternating between Grotesque by Natsuo Kirino, and all the Sherlock Holmes stories put into one big bundle =)

Both are really interesting - though the latter has been teaching me some..interesting...phrases as well. ("What ineffable twaddle!"    I`m not even entirely sure what this means, though I`m guessing it`s something along the lines of "what nonsense!".)

Sometimes I vlog: www.youtube.com/realkojitmal
(I even once did a steampunk related video!)

There`s a blog too: http://kojitmal.wordpress.com
Miles (a sailor)Martin
Zeppelin Admiral

Just a head full of random thoughts

« Reply #160 on: July 07, 2011, 01:46:28 am »

The Nova Terra Series by Tom Kratman, it's not steampunk,it's not politically ,it has high body counts, you get to know and love characters and they die on screen,sometimes horribly,but they are darn good "The Amazon Legion" is the one i just finished. good book 415 pages of prose and & pages of definitions 250K word count for 24$ USD in hardcover. yes i like bound books kids
                                                        Miles(lover of books)Martin
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #161 on: July 07, 2011, 07:28:12 am »

Went back to the bookshelf for a classic 'Anansi Boys' by Neil Gaiman.

Damn funny read - I keep laughing out loud on the tram as I read it.

'...within interventions distance of the embassy...
TapCane
Deck Hand

From the Birthplace of The Great Western Railway..

« Reply #162 on: July 07, 2011, 05:20:52 pm »

Victorian London by Liza Picard  Grin
SapperCharman
Deck Hand

@cplarchibaldcha
« Reply #163 on: July 08, 2011, 12:22:53 pm »

Currently working my way through Anno Dracula by Kim Newman also rereading HG Wells war of the worlds for the hundredth time still enjoy it.

Knowledge is power, Hide it well
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #164 on: July 08, 2011, 04:28:31 pm »

Currently working my way through Anno Dracula by Kim Newman

Good man! Brilliant book! Since it's been republished I've noticed  lots of people reading it. Two people in my office are currently reading it. Whoever finishes theirs first I've said I'll lend them my copy of the sequel 'The Bloody Red Baron'
SapperCharman
Deck Hand

@cplarchibaldcha
« Reply #165 on: July 09, 2011, 09:32:16 am »

I finished the main story in Anno Dracula I'm now reading through all the extras in the back.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #166 on: July 09, 2011, 02:35:49 pm »

I'm STILL doggedly forcing my way through Mary Shelley's The Last Man.  It is abominably poorly written; I may yet abandon it in favour of Anthony Trollope's Phineas Finn
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #167 on: July 09, 2011, 06:21:32 pm »

I finished the main story in Anno Dracula I'm now reading through all the extras in the back.

I have the original print so I don't have all the 'extras' but if you enjoyed it..you must read 'The Bloody Red Baron'
pakled
Zeppelin Captain

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #168 on: July 10, 2011, 06:02:55 pm »

Advance and Retreat - by Turtledove. Basically a rehash of actual Civil War battles, the fun is figuring who's been renamed, and how...Wink

Finished the Destroyermen book, now I'll have to go back to the Company bookshelf for more...uh...junk reading...Wink
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #169 on: July 16, 2011, 05:58:22 pm »

Yesterday I bought George Mann's The Immorality Engine.  Which is a great light read.  It's a vast improvement on The Affinity Bridge and better than his Osiris Ritual too. 
Blake
Gunner

« Reply #170 on: July 16, 2011, 08:50:50 pm »

spoilt for choice at the mo have 12 books from the library, george r r martins new book, anno dracula and jules vernes 20000 leagues under the sea (currently in waterstones for £2.50), just started reading alastair reynolds terminal world.

lost in thought, not vacated the premises.
OswaldBastable
Zeppelin Admiral

Not in front of the men..................

« Reply #171 on: July 16, 2011, 09:04:30 pm »

I'm nearing the end of Dance of Dragons, hurry up and write the next one George  Smiley

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre
inigo jameson-gatling
Officer
Iceland Iceland

lofthussar

« Reply #172 on: July 17, 2011, 04:38:00 pm »

Morlock Night by K.W. Jeter which I believe is intriguing, and I am looking to read Infernal Devices, and also The Warsaw Anagrams by Richard Zimler. The Last Kabbalist of Lisbon is his best and inspired work and everyhing afterwards has not been as good, the books before are awful.

You cannot complain about the sky if you suffer airshipwreck for the second time.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #173 on: July 17, 2011, 06:04:20 pm »

I've read both of Jeter's books, and they are an absolute blast.  Brilliant from start to end.  As for myself, I've just finished George Mann's latest offering.  It took me three days.  Personally I quite liked it (I've been doing some very heavy duty reading recently, so something a little lighter was just what the doctor ordered). 

Then I'm going back to The Last Man with a steely determination to see it finished, and then either Faust or The Divine Comedy
The Governess
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

cooke_lm
« Reply #174 on: July 17, 2011, 07:46:31 pm »

I have the original print so I don't have all the 'extras' but if you enjoyed it..you must read 'The Bloody Red Baron'

...followed by Dracula Cha Cha Cha...

CRIMSON CLOCKS
Crimson in tooth and claw, we disdain (pah!) all attempts to neatly categorise us.
Lugubrious lyrics sung sadistically over trouser trembling bass beats and relentless drums in the deep, all washed down with lashings of vivacious violin and orpheic oboe...
The Crimson Hour is close at hand
www.facebook.com/CrimsonClocks
www.CrimsonClocks.com
http://crimsonclocks.blogspot.co.uk
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 77   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: