The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 15, 2017, 10:52:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 77   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Are You Reading? (Mk. II)  (Read 92317 times)
Blake
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #125 on: June 19, 2011, 09:48:05 pm »

I found george r r martin's song of ice and fire series very hard to put down, the new ones out now in hardback and the paperbacks comming soon. The tv series quite enjoyable to watch, although when talking to people about the tv series I have to watch myself and make sure I don't let things slip. Nearly did that to one of my friends, don't think she'd have been to happy with me.

lost in thought, not vacated the premises.
pakled
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #126 on: June 20, 2011, 02:55:56 am »

Hallelujah...I finished Anna Karrennina! 10 more pages and I would have bodily thrust her aside and jumped under the train myself...Wink

Ebook is currently 'In at the finish'; an encyclopaedic conclusion to  'if the South had won the Civil War' heptology (I think that's right, but I may have miscounted) by Harry Turtledove.
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #127 on: June 20, 2011, 03:29:27 am »

"Quantum - A Guide for the Perplexed" by Jim Al Khalili

Cheers
HArold

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
BB BlackDog
Officer

aka lieutenant Jager Schnitzel

bbblackdog
« Reply #128 on: June 20, 2011, 03:03:33 pm »

Saint Leibowitz and the Wild Horse Woman

For the Second time

Links to my Band "BB BlackDog"'s website's WWW.steampunkrecords.COM/BBBLACKDOGUK
WWW.YOUTUBE.COM/BBBLACKDOG            
WWW.BBBLACKDOG.EU
Dr Fidelius
Zeppelin Admiral

Professor of Applied Paleontology, Miskatonic U.

« Reply #129 on: June 20, 2011, 05:30:48 pm »

Hallelujah...I finished Anna Karrennina! 10 more pages and I would have bodily thrust her aside and jumped under the train myself...Wink

Ebook is currently 'In at the finish'; an encyclopaedic conclusion to  'if the South had won the Civil War' heptology (I think that's right, but I may have miscounted) by Harry Turtledove.

But, but, the land reform chapters are fascinating!  Tolstoy must have loved Land Reform -- he certainly spend enough verbiage on the ethics of agriculture.

The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
pakled
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #130 on: June 21, 2011, 05:08:30 am »

True, he did wax poetic on the subject, but I felt that the sheer number of muhziks being employed just to mow a field (however the transcendental the experience) cried out for the use of a steam-powered mechanism. Even if Levin was a Kulak member of the petite bourgiouse...Wink

The only thing I remember about the Turkish war is that the Turks fought with Winchester Lever-Action rifles...Wink

Now I'm reading All the Kings' Men...told you the book selection at work was abysmal...Wink
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #131 on: June 21, 2011, 02:31:22 pm »

Right now I'm reading 'Railway Archaeology' by O S Nock.  It's a bit long-winded but other that very good.  To wind down in the evenings I'm currently reading 'Morlock Night'.  Which I'm finding an enjoyable romp.

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

Research Air Ship R.A.S. 'Saorsa'

« Reply #132 on: June 21, 2011, 02:46:40 pm »

"The Diary of Death" by Marten Cumberland. It's from a collection of short stories called "The World's Greatest Detective Stories" published in 1934. There are 27 fiction authors with 41 novelettes. Some of them are still popular - Conan-Doyle, Poe, Dorothy L Sayers, G.K. Chesterton and Agatha Christie, but many are not. Picking up these old tomes takes you right back into Victorian and Edwardian life (and, of course, death) in the hands of people who may have actually lived in that period.

Airship Artificer, part-time romantik and amateur Natural Philosopher

"wee all here are much troubled with the loss of poor Thompson & Sutton"
pakled
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #133 on: June 22, 2011, 04:54:56 am »

Found something by Orson Scott Card - Character and Viewpoint - it's a how-to for writing fiction...
Miss Tabitha
Deck Hand

A lady never discloses her sources.

« Reply #134 on: June 22, 2011, 06:29:05 pm »

Finished the Kalevala, and immediately progressed onto Mikhail Bulgakov's Diaboliad (collection of short stories). If any of you have a chance, read "The Fatal Eggs." It's a brilliant science-gone-terribly-wrong story.

I'm now reading Paolo Bacigalupi's short story collection Pump Six. Not even one hundred pages into it, and I can confidently say it's as good as The Windup Girl.

Next will be Brom's The Child Thief. Cheesy

'Most of us are not lucky enough to be asked to tell our stories; rather, it is simply assumed that we will accede to playing a part in someone else’s, and afterwards quietly fade into obscurity. In a way, this has been true for me. I am no one of importance....
...Yet, I refuse to fade silently into the darkness.'
- From the Memoirs of Adonaii LaCastella
(Its authoress: Miss Tabitha)
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #135 on: June 22, 2011, 07:20:00 pm »

Today I am reading Gail Carriger's 'Changeless', the sequel to 'Soulless', and at the rate I'm eating it up tomorrow I'll be on to 'Blameless'. Grin

And the 4th book is out in July.

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Blake
Gunner

« Reply #136 on: June 22, 2011, 09:32:57 pm »

enjoyed all three of those books, didn't take me long to get through them, only problem is you have to wait for the next one to be release.
Miles (a sailor)Martin
Zeppelin Admiral

Just a head full of random thoughts

« Reply #137 on: June 23, 2011, 06:34:52 pm »

just finished up reading the May/June issue of Live Steam and Outdoor Railroading.
 high lights were a pair of articles on Steam Whistles/Chimes
                a continuing article on  vintage steam (toy) engines (part the seventh)

a very well spent seven dollars (US)

and it's only two weeks before the next one comes out.
 for those in or around Baltimore ,Md ,the only place that carries it that i have found is  The B&O RAILROAD MUSEUM on Pratt St.  the gift shop is fairly priced,and the museum is a good all day burner,the yearly membership is a fair bargain if you live close enough to go four times a year, you will save money.

Who you calling old, Sonny boy? Just because my birth certificate is on birch bark there isn't any reason to be calling names.
machinist for hire/ mechanic at large
Warning : minstrel with a five string banjo
Theophilus Saxe
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #138 on: June 23, 2011, 08:53:08 pm »

I just stopped reading The Ghost of the Revelator, by J E Modessit Jr. There may be a good story in there, but the author's habit of using elipses drove me potty. One character's... dialogue... works that...way. All... the time. Quite... annoying!  Angry

"It's amusing, it's amazing, and it's never twice the same: It's the salt of true adventure and the glamour of the game."   

Talbot Mundy, The Ivory Trail
pakled
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #139 on: June 25, 2011, 06:16:09 am »

...and I just stopped reading 'All the Kings men'...maybe it gets better later, but it seemed to be a catalog of all the ways rednecks can spit...Wink

yeesh...Wink

Have some forgetable mystery now called 'The Formula', late 70s take on Nazi artificial fuels. So far, if a character orders a meal, all the menu items are listed...Wink

HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #140 on: June 26, 2011, 08:05:56 pm »

"The Crusades" - Hilaire Belloc

Cheers
Harold
Stripy Tiger
Gunner
Germany Germany

Gravatar

Pirate Captain

« Reply #141 on: June 26, 2011, 09:48:19 pm »

"Die Leiden des jungen Werther" (The Sorrows of Young Werther)- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

It's an old book from 1774 and very famous (the author is one of THE historical people of my country) and it is just so pretty. The words are beautiful and old-fashioned, I love it.
Yes, the story is sad and it's written very emotionally, but it sounds so pretty!!

(Additionally, reading it makes me look really smart, because it is a classic and kind of hard to read Cheesy)

"Through dangers untold and hardships unnumbered, I have fought my way here to the castle beyond the Goblin City to take back the child that you have stolen."
SteamMeister
Deck Hand

Gravatar

Watch Maker

N/A
« Reply #142 on: June 26, 2011, 09:50:15 pm »

The Steamboy Manga series, I love the film/anime. So I though I take a look at the manga.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh, so you were expecting a fancy signature eh? Well, your not getting one!
Blake
Gunner

« Reply #143 on: June 26, 2011, 09:59:51 pm »

lol, think I've got a few of those types of books lying around.

Currently reading the strange affair of spring heeled jack, it was at the bottom of a pile of 10 books, mainly from the library that I was going to read through, but somehow it managed to get to the top of the pile. A very enjoyable and engrossing read so far.

Ordered the new Gail Carriger's and George R. R. Martin books so they'll be joining the pile soon, eventually followed by laurell hamiltons new book 'hit list'.

I wasn't 100% sure of steamboy (film), I liked the steam and gadgets, etc but not so sure of the rest of it.
Stripy Tiger
Gunner
Germany Germany

Gravatar

Pirate Captain

« Reply #144 on: June 26, 2011, 10:04:20 pm »

I wasn't 100% sure of steamboy (film), I liked the steam and gadgets, etc but not so sure of the rest of it.

I agree. The design was pretty, but the story was weird, especially the end. (And what is Scarlett O'Hara doing there?)
Blake
Gunner

« Reply #145 on: June 26, 2011, 10:38:16 pm »

lol, it's been a while since I watched that film and had to check that one up, don't think I actually noticed that reference when I watched the film, but then I've never watched gone with the wind, only recognise the film due to the famous line of "frankly my dear I don't give a damn". Wiki says that the character is actually based on the GWTW character. Not sure why they've done that though.

the story started out ok but you're right it did just get stranger, think I only kept watching it for the background steampunk elements.

Starting to learn my lesson when it comes to buying films that I've never seen before.
Amalia_Lila
Deck Hand

Punkish_Nerd
« Reply #146 on: June 27, 2011, 06:04:36 am »

I have about four books I'm reading. One is The Girl in the Steel Corset. I can't put that one down.

We all carry our prisons with us.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #147 on: June 28, 2011, 05:55:13 pm »

I am currently reading K W Jeter's Infernal Devices.  Thoroughly excellent thus far. 
Silk Willoughby
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #148 on: June 29, 2011, 01:04:28 am »

Having finished Daily Life in Victorian London, I have now started "1000 years of Annoying the French"

In the jungle town where the sun beats down to the rage of man and beast
The English garb of the English sahib merely gets a bit more creased.
In Bangkok at 12 o'clock they foam at the mouth and run
But mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the mid-day sun.
pakled05
Officer

« Reply #149 on: June 29, 2011, 05:44:15 am »

Ebook is 'Time enough for Love' by Heinlein, which is probably older than most posters in this forum...Wink

Still reading the Formula - formula is right, you can pace of the sex and violence like you were pacing a duel...Wink

Someone's lent me Distant Thunder, by a Taylor Anderson. The far-fetched premise is a WWII destroyer lost in an alternate universe of lemur-like floating cities...actually much better than it sounds...Wink Yes, it's a series...Wink
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 77   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: