The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 17, 2017, 04:21:35 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 77   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Are You Reading? (Mk. II)  (Read 90496 times)
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #100 on: June 08, 2011, 11:34:00 am »

I am reading 'The Passage' by Justin Cronin. Not an author I had heard of before but I am loving this book, great in depth character description and a whole series of threads set up to intertwine.

'...within interventions distance of the embassy...
calriasali
Deck Hand
Finland Finland

Gravatar

« Reply #101 on: June 10, 2011, 06:17:28 pm »

"Good Omens" by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. A friend of mine suggested I read it, and I must say, I'm glad she did. I keep bursting with laughter every time I read it...
OswaldBastable
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Not in front of the men..................

« Reply #102 on: June 10, 2011, 06:24:18 pm »

"Good Omens" by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. A friend of mine suggested I read it, and I must say, I'm glad she did. I keep bursting with laughter every time I read it...
an excellent book indeed  Smiley

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre
Blake
Gunner

« Reply #103 on: June 10, 2011, 10:36:32 pm »

good omens, a great book. But then I think that I've enjoyed all of the books I've read by these two authors. Love Pratchett's discworld series.

lost in thought, not vacated the premises.
calriasali
Deck Hand
Finland Finland

Gravatar

« Reply #104 on: June 10, 2011, 11:01:16 pm »

Never read anything from either of them before. I know enough people who've told me to read Terry Pratchett but somehow I never got to it....
I really do get the feeling I should start reading those too Cheesy
Miles (a sailor)Martin
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Just a head full of random thoughts

« Reply #105 on: June 12, 2011, 12:35:31 am »

Carpe Jugulem by Sir Terry for the fourth or fifth time
 just finished a Mecedes Lackey Binge.... 17 books in 18 days, not to mention a sf con,four days of job hunting and other random stuff.
   work,sleep,reading.  pick two
                                                   Miles

Who you calling old, Sonny boy? Just because my birth certificate is on birch bark there isn't any reason to be calling names.
machinist for hire/ mechanic at large
Warning : minstrel with a five string banjo
pakled
Zeppelin Captain

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #106 on: June 12, 2011, 04:17:37 am »

Still reading Anna Karennina...though I only have 200pps to go...sigh...Wink
Reading Friday, by Heinlein, electronically-like...Wink
Miss Tabitha
Deck Hand

A lady never discloses her sources.

« Reply #107 on: June 12, 2011, 04:34:35 pm »

Anna Karenina is a bit of a marathon read, but it is very much worth it. It's a beautiful story.

That said, I'm halfway through the Kalevala. I thought that the Tain was strange, but the Finns have definitely taken the cake.

'Most of us are not lucky enough to be asked to tell our stories; rather, it is simply assumed that we will accede to playing a part in someone else’s, and afterwards quietly fade into obscurity. In a way, this has been true for me. I am no one of importance....
...Yet, I refuse to fade silently into the darkness.'
- From the Memoirs of Adonaii LaCastella
(Its authoress: Miss Tabitha)
calriasali
Deck Hand
Finland Finland

Gravatar

« Reply #108 on: June 12, 2011, 07:11:10 pm »

Anna Karenina is a bit of a marathon read, but it is very much worth it. It's a beautiful story.

That said, I'm halfway through the Kalevala. I thought that the Tain was strange, but the Finns have definitely taken the cake.

Ahh yes....the oddities of life, Kalevala. Lovely stories though, well worth the read in my opinion...

------
Just started reading Orhan Pamuk's "The White Castle".
Blake
Gunner

« Reply #109 on: June 12, 2011, 11:51:19 pm »

just started The Japanese Devil Fish Girl and Other Unnatural Attractions byrobert rankin. Previously I've read his retromancer, quite enjoyable but think i might be reading his books out of order.
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #110 on: June 13, 2011, 01:01:17 pm »

just started The Japanese Devil Fish Girl and Other Unnatural Attractions byrobert rankin. Previously I've read his retromancer, quite enjoyable but think i might be reading his books out of order.

The Japanes Fish Girl...' is the most overtly 'Steampunk' of his books and a mighty fine romp.

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Theophilus Saxe
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #111 on: June 13, 2011, 04:18:24 pm »

I'm nearing the end of King, Kaiser, Tsar, by Catrine Clay. It's a fascinating account of the intertwined lives of the Royal Families of England, Germany and Russia during the late 19th-early 20th centuries.

"It's amusing, it's amazing, and it's never twice the same: It's the salt of true adventure and the glamour of the game."   

Talbot Mundy, The Ivory Trail
aldebaran
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

clfornax
« Reply #112 on: June 14, 2011, 02:39:56 am »

I'm reading The Affinity Bridge by George Mann. I know it's had mixed reviews, but I'm enjoying it so far - I'm not all that critical if I'm reading fiction for entertainment.

Author of Fornax Rising
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #113 on: June 16, 2011, 06:28:58 am »

I'm reading The Affinity Bridge by George Mann. I know it's had mixed reviews, but I'm enjoying it so far - I'm not all that critical if I'm reading fiction for entertainment.

I would give that book a mixed review also.

And I agree with your approach, same one I applied to the 'Japanese Devil Fish...  ', just read it for the giggles.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #114 on: June 16, 2011, 09:29:48 am »

I'm currently reading Morlock Night, which is a ripping good yarn.  I shall be following that up with Infernal Devices.

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Major Willoughby Chase
« Reply #115 on: June 16, 2011, 10:02:36 am »

Just finished The Honor Of The Queen, that was a great read, the ending had me on such an upbeat that I went to the Baen site and bought the next book in the series and the first anthology of early stories Worlds of Honor.

I'm on the first of the stories in the anthology, a great tale introducing the early meetings of the sentient treecats with humankind.  I can see Baen getting quite a lot of my money over the next few weeks... those two eBooks for my Kindle cost just $9 very affordable Cheesy
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #116 on: June 16, 2011, 10:44:38 am »

Well, I've finished 'Rat Scabies and the Holy Grail' by Christopher Dawes.

Although I don't believe a word of it with regard to the secret societies and the 'Holy Grail' because, obviously, you need to have a belief in the characters and situations in the Bible for anything subsequent to have any basis in fact I still found it a hugely entertaining read. And although the stories of Rat Scabies exploits are real they have a very Pythonesque feel.

And next month I am driving for the band The Members who are doing a date in Renne, France ( a major location in the Grail myth). Guess who's drumming for The Members currently. It's Mr. Scabies.

And he's apparently bringing a metal detector and a shovel. Grin
Herr Döktor
Gadgeteer, Contraptionist, and Inventor, FVSS
Governor
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #117 on: June 16, 2011, 11:27:18 am »

Paused in reading Robin Ince's "Bad Book Club" to read Barry Cryer's anecdotal autobiography "Butterfly Brain", and it's pretty much the funniest book I've read so far this year.

Cheesy

Baron Fritz von Stuttgen
Gunner

dstuttgen
« Reply #118 on: June 16, 2011, 05:36:59 pm »

What do we all read beside the Steampunk genre of literature. I myself have delved deeply into the classics. Dickens, the Brontes, Austin, Arthur Conan Doyle, Dostoevsky, Tolstoy and on , and on. I also enjoy Historical Fiction, Historical,Romance, Mystery, and Fantasy/SciFi.
Enjoy a shot of my Office/Den/Library!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Regards, Fritz

Man o man, I really need to clean up that rat mess! Embarrassed
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 05:39:24 pm by Baron Fritz von Stuttgen » Logged
Major Willoughby Chase
« Reply #119 on: June 16, 2011, 05:47:40 pm »

What do we all read beside the Steampunk genre of literature. I myself have delved deeply into the classics. Dickens, the Brontes, Austin, Arthur Conan Doyle, Dostoevsky, Tolstoy and on , and on. I also enjoy Historical Fiction, Historical,Romance, Mystery, and Fantasy/SciFi.
Enjoy a shot of my Office/Den/Library!

Regards, Fritz

Man o man, I really need to clean up that rat mess! Embarrassed

Heh, if you read all of this thread and the 110 page one that preceeded it, you'll get a pretty fair idea of what we read between us... virtually everything.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 05:49:21 pm by Major Willoughby Chase » Logged
Baron Fritz von Stuttgen
Gunner

dstuttgen
« Reply #120 on: June 16, 2011, 06:04:46 pm »

So many books, so little time and less money too.  I love books and read all the time. Looks like I am in great company!

Fritz
Major Willoughby Chase
« Reply #121 on: June 16, 2011, 06:21:49 pm »

Mostly I'm ploughing through the Baen Free Library, I have to say it's got to be working for them as I've bought about 10 eBooks from them so far on the basis of some of the stories I've read Cheesy
Miles (a sailor)Martin
Zeppelin Admiral

Just a head full of random thoughts

« Reply #122 on: June 17, 2011, 07:48:42 pm »

yes Baen has been my favorite publisher since i first ran across " On Basilisk Station" by David Weber some twenty five plus years ago, Jim's stable of writers has never let me down.  and Baen's bar is the only other forum i post on, been semi active there for 7 or 8 years,mostly lurking, i think my post count finally hit ten this month?   miles
aldebaran
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

clfornax
« Reply #123 on: June 18, 2011, 12:36:26 am »

I finished The Affinity Bridge this morning. I didn't see what some reviewers were moaning about. It wasn't that bad. It's not the greatest novel in the history of forever, but it was entertaining, even though I was guessing at the identity of the villain early on.

I'm now reading The Science of Superstition by Bruce M. Hood.
helios
Zeppelin Overlord
New Zealand New Zealand

Probably not Death, the Destroyer of Worlds

eliasvonhelios
« Reply #124 on: June 19, 2011, 09:17:02 pm »

Currently I find myself reading both Game of Thrones and The Great Hunt. At the same time.
So many names, so much description to remember...

In smoggiest day, in sooted night
no ignorance shall escape my sight.
Let those who worship ignorance's might,
beware my power... Brass Goggles light!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 77   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: