The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 24, 2017, 12:11:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 77   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Are You Reading? (Mk. II)  (Read 91560 times)
proteus
Devourer of Ugly Baked Goods
Administrator
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Gravatar

brasstech
« on: April 13, 2011, 07:23:48 pm »

The old thread made it to over 100 pages! Out of courtesy to the poor, overworked clanks that manage replies, it has been locked, and the discussion can continue here. Enjoy!

--
"Politics and religion are just like software and hardware. They all suck, the documentation is provably incorrect, and all the vendors tell lies." — Andrew Dalgleish

How To Financially Support Brass Goggles — now with a subscription option!
Herr Döktor
Gadgeteer, Contraptionist, and Inventor, FVSS
Governor
Master Tinkerer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 07:29:48 pm »

Sex lives of the Popes.

Read it several times, always something new.

Wink

Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 07:35:01 pm »

I've just finished Mark Hodder's 'The Curious Case of the Clockwork Man' which, if anything, is superior to the first book. Recommended highly.

I now have a choice between Mike Resnick's 'The Buntline Special: A Weird West Tale' or Tim Powers' 'The Anubis Gates'.

I'll decide at bedtime.

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Major Willoughby Chase
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 07:36:54 pm »

Currently within a few pages of finishing Starliner by David Drake on the Kindle... I'm loving it, complete with old duffers who're getting free drinks by telling tales of having been everywhere and done everything.  Think giant spaceship on holiday cruise that is rapidly going to have a problem with war breaking out.

Only downside is that so far this is the worst of the scanned books, with probably 20 or 30 mistakes (that I spotted... there may be more).

A very entertaining read and I only hope there are more Wade & Belgeddes tales out there, they're fantastic.

You can download it for free, direct from the publisher here: http://www.webscription.net/p-398-starliner.aspx

(I should also add that in that very place are 115 free Baen ebooks)
Professor Griffiths
Snr. Officer

For God and Country!

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 07:39:38 pm »

Steampunk Magazine. trying to decide on buying Steampunk tales or not.

pakled
Zeppelin Captain

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 05:25:29 am »

Finally get in on the ground floor.

From the Baen collection - something called 'Doc 'she' (it's the Irish word for elf[?], and as I'm on the wrong side of the water, it's pronounced 'she', but spelled 'something else') - actually has elements of steampunk in it. It's on a USB, so I don't have it on me right now.

Found it! - Doc Sidhe...finished it, but working on The Lark and the Wren - from the Baen collection.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 05:25:24 am by pakled » Logged
aldebaran
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

clfornax
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 06:05:08 am »

I'm reading Pied Piper by Nevil Shute.

Author of Fornax Rising
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 06:55:38 am »

I've just finished Mark Hodder's 'The Curious Case of the Clockwork Man' which, if anything, is superior to the first book. Recommended highly.

I now have a choice between Mike Resnick's 'The Buntline Special: A Weird West Tale' or Tim Powers' 'The Anubis Gates'.

I'll decide at bedtime.

I am glad to hear 'The Curious Case of the Clockwork Man' is as good if not better - now if only I could track down a hardcover copy in the same cover style as the first book...

'...within interventions distance of the embassy...
Major Willoughby Chase
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 07:53:14 am »

Finally get in on the ground floor.

From the Baen collection - something called 'Doc 'she' (it's the Irish word for elf[?], and as I'm on the wrong side of the water, it's pronounced 'she', but spelled 'something else') - actually has elements of steampunk in it. It's on a USB, so I don't have it on me right now.

Sídhe, pronounced shee.
Miles (a sailor)Martin
Zeppelin Admiral

Just a head full of random thoughts

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 02:37:35 pm »

was rummaging around last night and ran across these in a box i carried out from NM, so i am  re reading them, i love old sf, it gives me funky ideas to try to design in "Traveller"

Not steampunk just oreintal fantasy :E. Hoffmann Price's "The Devil Wives of Li Fong" (1979)

now slightly dated sf by the same author;  
    * Operation Misfit (1980)
    * Operation Longlife (1983)
    * Operation Exile (1985)
    * Operation Isis (1986)
                                                            yes i collect old sf
                                                        Miles
ps Mr. Price was a contemporary,and friend of HPL and collaborated on a couple of stories,if wikapedia and" The enciclopedia of fantasy " are to be belived
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 02:46:27 pm by Miles (a sailor)Martin » Logged

Who you calling old, Sonny boy? Just because my birth certificate is on birch bark there isn't any reason to be calling names.
machinist for hire/ mechanic at large
Warning : minstrel with a five string banjo
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011, 04:16:52 pm »

The latest acquisition to my reading list (bought just this morning) is Victoria's Wars by Saul David. 

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Albertine
Deck Hand
Denmark Denmark

Adventure is out there!

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 12:57:43 pm »

I just finished the post-apocalyptic "The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins. Most definitely worth a read, if you like Battle Royale!
Apart from that I read Neverwhere recently, which is highly recommended as well, Neil Gaiman is an astounding storyteller. Now I will finish 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, I think. I started reading it in China and never finished it, although I liked it a lot.
The Governess
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

cooke_lm
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 12:08:26 am »

I have recently finished a very good book about the Essex, the ship that inspired the Moby Dick story, called 'in the heart of the sea' and also Simon Green's 'the man with the golden torc' - frivolous but enjoyable.

Currently reading Mr Norrel and Jonathan Strange.

CRIMSON CLOCKS
Crimson in tooth and claw, we disdain (pah!) all attempts to neatly categorise us.
Lugubrious lyrics sung sadistically over trouser trembling bass beats and relentless drums in the deep, all washed down with lashings of vivacious violin and orpheic oboe...
The Crimson Hour is close at hand
www.facebook.com/CrimsonClocks
www.CrimsonClocks.com
http://crimsonclocks.blogspot.co.uk
pakled
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 04:19:23 am »

Just finished 'Prisoner of Zenda', now a collection of Short stories by Mercedes Lackey (sp?)
Called Fiddler's Fair, or something like that...
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2011, 06:37:05 am »

I have just finished 'Japanese Devil Fish Girl' - a fun book with a fair dose of satire that made me chuckle once or twice. To be honest - I prefer my steampunk or sic fi to be more dark, serious and even operatic (think Mieville, Banks or Reynolds) so this form of comedic steampunk novel is not quite my cup of tea. But it is well written.
Archibald_Broce
Deck Hand

Brevity is the soul of wit- Shakespeare

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2011, 10:25:43 pm »

I'm reading Around the World in Eighty Days because I hadn't done so previously. It's pretty good. I've been off reading for a couple days, so I have some catching up to do.

Avanti, Avanti!
pakled
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2011, 05:15:29 am »

Out of books...:| So from Gutenberg, it's Man in the Iron Mask, and then, who knows...Wink Downloaded about 1,300+ books from Manybooks, so I'm set until I'm about...200...Wink It's hoarding, but it's on a memory stick...honest!...Wink
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 03:51:34 am by pakled » Logged
Albertine
Deck Hand
Denmark Denmark

Adventure is out there!

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2011, 07:11:17 pm »

I have recently finished a very good book about the Essex, the ship that inspired the Moby Dick story, called 'in the heart of the sea' and also Simon Green's 'the man with the golden torc' - frivolous but enjoyable.

Currently reading Mr Norrel and Jonathan Strange.
How do you like it? I started reading it, but I have yet to finish it, it seemed like it had a lot of action at first and then it came to a grinding halt at some point and stood still for too long and I just couldn't get on with it.
If you get through it please let me know what you think, I would love to know if I should try to finish it Smiley
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2011, 04:12:07 am »

Dear Albertine - 'If you get through it please let me know what you think, I would love to know if I should try to finish it' - I would finish it, it is well worth pushing through to the end.

I am currently reading 'The Kingdom of Ohio' by Matthew Flaming, only 50 pages or so into it but I am already glad I picked it up.

pakled
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2011, 04:31:00 am »

work actually has a 'bookshelf' with theft-proof (read bl**dy awful..Wink books, so I'm actually reading 'Nicholas and Alexandra' - still downloading books like a house afire, so all is not lost, no all is not lost...not yet..Wink
Captain Shipton Bellinger
Master Tinkerer

Why the goggles..? In case of ADVENTURE!

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2011, 08:59:54 am »

About 2/3 of the way through Moby Dick, which I haven't read in many, many years.

A most interesting insight into 19th C whaling but, Lordy! I had quite forgotten how hard going it is. Melville's tortuous prose often leaves me at the end of an interminable sentence realising I have no clue to what I've just read.  Huh

It will probably be another few decades before I feel recovered sufficiently to read it again.

Capt. Shipton Bellinger R.A.M.E. (rtd)

The Governess
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

cooke_lm
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2011, 12:13:08 am »

About 2/3 of the way through Moby Dick, which I haven't read in many, many years.

A most interesting insight into 19th C whaling but, Lordy! I had quite forgotten how hard going it is. Melville's tortuous prose often leaves me at the end of an interminable sentence realising I have no clue to what I've just read.  Huh

It will probably be another few decades before I feel recovered sufficiently to read it again.

captain, you may find 'in the heart of the sea' quite interesting...

Albertine, so far Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrel is going quite well- although I do find myself getting distracted by the footnotes stretching over several pages...
Albertine
Deck Hand
Denmark Denmark

Adventure is out there!

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2011, 12:11:22 pm »

Dear Albertine - 'If you get through it please let me know what you think, I would love to know if I should try to finish it' - I would finish it, it is well worth pushing through to the end.

I am currently reading 'The Kingdom of Ohio' by Matthew Flaming, only 50 pages or so into it but I am already glad I picked it up.

I will take it up again as soon as I am done with the adventures of Cpt. Nemo and friends then, thank you for the recommendation Smiley
Captain Shipton Bellinger
Master Tinkerer

Why the goggles..? In case of ADVENTURE!

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2011, 12:32:39 pm »

Governess, Philbrick's book is on my (never shortening) reading list. I'm sure I've seen it in remaindered book shops for a ridiculously small sum.  Cheesy

The Governess
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

cooke_lm
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2011, 03:15:11 pm »

Governess, Philbrick's book is on my (never shortening) reading list. I'm sure I've seen it in remaindered book shops for a ridiculously small sum.  Cheesy

I think I got it cheap via the Book People.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 77   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: