The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 23, 2017, 02:42:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 [90] 91   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Unofficial Brass Goggles Minecraft Server!  (Read 105505 times)
Augustus Longeye
Daedric Prince of Biscuits
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2225 on: August 01, 2012, 07:26:28 pm »

This would be true.... I'm messing around with the wiring and stuff now, you could light up the whole city with streetlamps that works.... gates that change state properly, even rudimentary AI to control it all......
I'm getting ahead of myself; I think this might be a bit unfair on Manix but I'll ask him to swing by.
~Longeye~

Quote from: Sir Nikolas
I say you, chaps down there! Piss off, see? Haa ha! Love, Space Longeye <3
Dr. makebot
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2226 on: August 01, 2012, 10:01:31 pm »

This sounds like a thoroughly epic idea. I have been mucking about with tekkit for a while and there are some really fun things you can do with it  Grin

yes I am a mad scientist, now live with it.

elShoggotho
« Reply #2227 on: August 04, 2012, 03:52:21 pm »

Overclocked my macerator to make coal dust. I can compress that to diamonds. Well, elsewhere, but also good for the server later.
elShoggotho
« Reply #2228 on: August 09, 2012, 11:34:57 pm »

Running a little private server via hamachi. I know a bit about handling by now. Should anyone get a fresh start on the unofficial server (preferably using Tekkit) I volunteer as part time admin.
Augustus Longeye
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #2229 on: August 09, 2012, 11:59:47 pm »

Ah yes Shoggo; nick mentioned you managed to get 1.3's LAN working via hamachi; mind dropping me a few hints? I'd love to know!
~Longeye~
elShoggotho
« Reply #2230 on: August 10, 2012, 02:02:49 am »

No, I didn't. It doesn't recognize Hamachi's VPN as LAN. At the moment, I'm running a tekkit server through hamachi. Not exactly what I'd call a massive multiplayer solution.
Augustus Longeye
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #2231 on: August 10, 2012, 10:07:57 am »

Ah, that explains it! No, you're not going to be able to run many people using it, but then it works on a small scale so you've got something Smiley

I'm not sure what's happening with this, but I don't think Manx can help.
~Longye~
elShoggotho
« Reply #2232 on: August 14, 2012, 06:01:46 am »

Found out how to run a server from home without hamachi. Two things are important: lots of RAM, and that you use a dedicated machine for the server if you expect lots of users. Some of tekkit's blocks have a huge resource impact. If I were in charge, I'd put the server on a dedicated linux box and run it via terminal.

So, if anyone has a spare computer and a connection good enough to run the server from home, I can tell you how that's possible.
elShoggotho
« Reply #2233 on: August 25, 2012, 10:23:08 pm »

Since I've had no resonance AT ALL, here's a proposal. I'll rent and run a server. It will run on full Tekkit with specific restrictions. Survival mode, PvE, with added Twilight Forest. Also rank, area, and gate plugins. We can use bukkit and forge based mods for everything. We will need pretty hefty specifications, so this will not come cheap. I managed to outpace the 1GB server I had running on my machine with two players on it. We'll need at least 4GB of dedicated memory. I'm already looking into solutions, but I also might end up putting a dedicated server slice into the c-base mainframe.

So, who's in? And by "in", I mean a dedicated PayPal account to help finance this endeavour. I will not start this one without backing.

Augustus Longeye
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #2234 on: August 25, 2012, 10:32:34 pm »

As you can probably guess I can't aid in the financing, but your plan seems a good one. I love the idea of twilight forest/full tekkit, and I think it would give rise to some damned fine stuff! My only suggestion would be an item blacklist (easy with bukkit) to bar anything like the nuke.... All you need is one detonated to really put a problem in your day.....

Anyone else who can afford and thinks this is a good idea I heartily suggest you do give a hand! Imagine the things that could be done with the typical BG inventiveness and a tekkit server!
~Longeye~
elShoggotho
« Reply #2235 on: August 25, 2012, 10:40:59 pm »

Tiered permissions. Only the highest tier would have access to mining lasers and nukes. Mining lasers have the ability to circumvent restrictions, and nukes are just too easy to misuse. One important rule would be to keep the cheating to the absolute minimum. You can do everything without cheating or creative mode.

There are specific twilight forest items that can only be obtained by slaying liches. These are not restricted, because they actually require you to storm a lich's castle and kill the owner. That's a tough boss fight, second only to the enderdragon.

By the way: I found out that my memory issues came from my machine running windows and not being dedicated. Cost for a dedicated tekkit server would be €13.47 per month for a machine that serves 10 players maximum.
Augustus Longeye
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #2236 on: August 25, 2012, 11:09:31 pm »

Ah yes, I forgot lasers.... but the permissions laid out like that is a good idea, however be wary that permissions files are pretty lengthy and the more complicated you make them the longer they get....

I didn't know about the lich items but to be honest that makes sense. As there's no creative mode you'd have to slay them normally, so if you do then bravo and keep the spoils!

(At this point I discover I have no euro symbol on my keyboard....) That works out pretty well actually, mind sending me the link to the company? Not so I can poach it or anything, just so I can check it against a blacklist I've assembled over a period....
~Longeye~
elShoggotho
« Reply #2237 on: August 25, 2012, 11:41:30 pm »

http://treepuncher.eu/ - if that's good, I'll use it.
Augustus Longeye
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #2238 on: August 25, 2012, 11:52:26 pm »

Hmm..... Kerplunk gaming was the company we originally tried (way back) that did give a lot of trouble. However it looks like they've changed quite a bit, and updated things. It's your call if you go for it or not, but if you do I'd say only through paypal so that if anything happens you can just open a dispute that way.
~Longeye~
elShoggotho
« Reply #2239 on: August 26, 2012, 07:12:14 am »

Does anyone know how to resolve block ID conflict issues with minecraft servers? My SSP technic install does that automatically with a mod, but there doesn't seem to be a server version.
Augustus Longeye
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #2240 on: August 26, 2012, 01:36:57 pm »

Yikes.... that's a big problem for servers..... I've got no clue how to do it, sorry! I've googled around a little, but it seems to be a very complex thing to sort out.
~Longeye~
elShoggotho
« Reply #2241 on: August 26, 2012, 10:02:12 pm »

I know how to do that manually. I just need to find out what the block IDs are in the first place. Might have to print out a long list.
Dr. makebot
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2242 on: August 27, 2012, 12:06:26 pm »

I would be able to make a small monthly contribution. Realy missing the old server  Cry
elShoggotho
« Reply #2243 on: August 27, 2012, 05:29:58 pm »

You! Makebot! Find me a way to resolve block ID conflicts between minecraft SMP mods!
Dr. makebot
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2244 on: August 27, 2012, 05:49:51 pm »

Google-Fu ACTIVATE

Try installing and unzipping the files from the server instead of uploading them via FTP. You can use the wget function to get the archive, then use the unzip function to unzip it. Seems to be the solution on the thread I find also having this issue where the config files encoding changed after being uploaded or something. If that doesn't work then I'm not sure what's causing your issue, never seen it before myself and there doesn't seem to be too much information around about it.
elShoggotho
« Reply #2245 on: August 27, 2012, 06:24:11 pm »

Doesn't seem to be related...
Dr. makebot
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2246 on: August 28, 2012, 08:05:35 am »

If this is the error you are talking about
'CONFLICT @ ___ item slot already occupied by __ while adding __' error!

then according to the Technic pack forums, it should work.

Here is the origonal thread though, just to clear things up.
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #2247 on: August 28, 2012, 10:41:46 am »

Use tekkit launcher.

I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.
elShoggotho
« Reply #2248 on: August 28, 2012, 11:52:25 am »

Maybe you should reread what I wrote, Mr. Hogbin. I could go over the basics of minecraft server management, but I'd rather not.

For the other issue: This is about installing Twilight Forest on a tekkit server. I don't see how encoding differences apply to that.
Dr. makebot
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2249 on: August 28, 2012, 03:40:14 pm »

Ok, now you have got me confused  Grin
I thought your problem was a block ID conflict, so two blocks had the same number. Or am I completely misunderstanding?
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 [90] 91   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: