The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 08:11:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help please: Making a steampunk earpiece  (Read 1628 times)
Secundinius
Gunner
United States United States

And whose monkeys are those, exactly?

« on: April 07, 2011, 06:14:42 pm »

Simply put, I am "steampunking" a broken jawbone headset. I've been looking around a bit and I'm seeing some semi-reasonable prices for cogs and such, although advice on where to get these cheaper would be greatly appreciated as well.

My question is, what is the best way to secure those cogs to said headset? Super glue? J.B. Weld? I don't have a soldering iron, nor would I want to take one to the Jawbone.

Thaddeus Ambrose Pierce, Captain of the Aletta Rose, at your service. When is your destination?

“As machines become more and more efficient and perfect, so it will become clear that imperfection is the greatness of man.” – Ernst Fischer
Calliope Hawthorn Dove
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 10:16:12 pm »

Can you practice with different fixatives on like materials to see how they adhere?

I found the sweetest little twisted bicycle horn which I am using to make a "steam" powered ear trumpet.  I will be packed with mini fairy lights, have a tube from the narrow end of horn leading intl a small cannister with a tiny gauge on top.  As soon as I find all the bits I need.

Good luck with your project.  Please post up pics.
Secundinius
Gunner

And whose monkeys are those, exactly?

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 05:26:49 pm »

I can't really practice, I was just hoping someone else here had done this before. I certainly cannot solder it to the ear piece, just found this out after looking a bit closer at it. lol.

I guess I just need to get a bunch of cogs and whatnot and play around with them till I get a design that looks good. the J.B. Weld should work fine, just so long as I can muster up the patience to work with it.  Cheesy
dashboardpirate
Gunner

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 07:35:52 pm »

Have you thought of using wire? Depending on how the blue tooth device is broken and the look you are wanting to go for you might be able to wrap wire or even cleverly wrap and sew fabric around it in a manner you find aesthetically pleasing. If you go with wrapping leather or fabric around it you can probably sew cogs or gears in where you like. If you go with the wire idea you could always rig up something like this:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/95931358/steampunk-classy-ear-cuff?ref=sr_gallery_59&ga_includes
  • =tags&ga_search_query=steampunk+ear+cuff&ga_page=1&ga_ref=related&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

or you could go yet a different route and use clay like sculpy. In that incarnation it might look similar to this:

http://www.geekologie.com/2008/09/guy-makes-steampunk-bluetooth.php

Then again maybe you've already thought of these things. Good luck!

Insert random witty remark here
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: