The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 10:57:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 51   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The rocket pack collective thread  (Read 126442 times)
Herr Döktor
Gadgeteer, Contraptionist, and Inventor, FVSS
Master Tinkerer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #200 on: May 30, 2011, 07:22:15 pm »

Firing system.

Details to add, but the structure is there.

Curly wire? Curly wire? Who's got the curly wire?

Curly Wire? Wasn't he a music hall turn with a rather peculiar act involving a set of tongs and a hair dryer?

Anyway, couple of pictures of Mr Jack Union sporting my rocket pack:

Smiley

Smaggers
Zeppelin Admiral

You cannot mesmerize me...I'm British!

« Reply #201 on: May 30, 2011, 07:33:57 pm »

Greenscreen Smiley

"I should probably finish one project before taking on another, but the badger won't fit in the freezer." -Steamblast Mary

http://smaggers.deviantart.com/
http://www.bongofish.co.uk
Herr Döktor
Gadgeteer, Contraptionist, and Inventor, FVSS
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #202 on: May 30, 2011, 07:43:48 pm »

I'll give the Major a poke and get some higher res. versions, I know how much you ♥ greenscreen!

PS: your posters are even better in the flesh, er, paper!

Cheesy
Smaggers
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #203 on: May 30, 2011, 07:48:11 pm »

Do you has videos of greenscreen jetpack Jack??

Glad you like the poster.  I've not seen a paper one yet.
Dr cornelius quack
Rogue Ætherlord

Arrant Carney. Phmebian Cultural Attache.

« Reply #204 on: May 30, 2011, 08:07:46 pm »

These modern special effects are just mind-blowing!!

I actually believe a man can fly.

Such are the feeble bases on which many a public character rests.

Today, I am two, separate Gorillas.
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #205 on: May 30, 2011, 08:09:35 pm »

Shame Jack is arching his back so much in the second pic...any photshopped flames from the rockets are definitely going to roast his arse!!

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
Dr cornelius quack
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #206 on: May 30, 2011, 08:19:29 pm »

You could always slice vertically at about the trouser line and flip the legs... of the photo, that is,... Jack's a brave chap, but we couldn't ask him to submit to such radically experimental surgery......could we?

Oooooh! Errrr! Just had a strange vision of a Thunderbird 2 launch pad style hydraulic blast wall built into the seat of the trousers. Time to get out of these fumes, I think.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 08:26:44 pm by Dr cornelius quack » Logged
Smaggers
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #207 on: May 30, 2011, 08:20:05 pm »

Shame Jack is arching his back so much in the second pic...any photshopped flames from the rockets are definitely going to roast his arse!!

Fix it in post Smiley
Orcon Windar
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #208 on: May 31, 2011, 04:03:48 am »

I think I just might toss my hat into the ring. I've been meaning to make a steampunk rocket pack for this year's Steamcon, and this is the perfect incentive to get going. Plus, I recently picked up a wonderful perfect condition aviator coat (for $10!), which will go perfectly with the rocket pack. Unfortunately, all i have to work with is some cardboard tubes, paint, and a budget of $10. I'm saving most of my spending money for my trip to England in a month.
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #209 on: June 01, 2011, 11:20:04 pm »

I think I just might toss my hat into the ring. I've been meaning to make a steampunk rocket pack for this year's Steamcon, and this is the perfect incentive to get going. Plus, I recently picked up a wonderful perfect condition aviator coat (for $10!), which will go perfectly with the rocket pack. Unfortunately, all i have to work with is some cardboard tubes, paint, and a budget of $10. I'm saving most of my spending money for my trip to England in a month.

With cardboard tube, paint and ten dollars you should be able to turn out a decent rocket pack to go with your amazing jacket. Consider plastic soft drink bottles and garden hose as other useful cheap parts too.

'...within interventions distance of the embassy...
Orcon Windar
Officer

« Reply #210 on: June 02, 2011, 12:10:38 am »

With cardboard tube, paint and ten dollars you should be able to turn out a decent rocket pack to go with your amazing jacket. Consider plastic soft drink bottles and garden hose as other useful cheap parts too.

Heh heh, I actually was just heading out to spray paint one of my parts- a plastic soda bottle. I hot glued it to one of the skinnier tubes, and am going to back it one of the... ummm... not sure what to call them. One of the sort of tubey things that the flame shoots out of. Also, I was thinking of incorporating a couple of old  style coca cola glass bottles to be a couple other... tubey things. I would post pictures of my design, but my camera is having trouble, so it might be a while.
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #211 on: June 02, 2011, 12:20:58 am »

Heh heh, I actually was just heading out to spray paint one of my parts- a plastic soda bottle. I hot glued it to one of the skinnier tubes, and am going to back it one of the... ummm... not sure what to call them. One of the sort of tubey things that the flame shoots out of. Also, I was thinking of incorporating a couple of old  style coca cola glass bottles to be a couple other... tubey things. I would post pictures of my design, but my camera is having trouble, so it might be a while.

Excellent work.

And 'tubey things' is the correct technical description.
Orcon Windar
Officer

« Reply #212 on: June 02, 2011, 02:03:47 am »

Excellent work.

Glad to see I got something right.   Cheesy

I decided to paint the main chamber black, mostly because that's the only spray paint I had, and painting it by hand does not work very well on cardboard. My only concern so far is that the main chamber is too small, and it may look cluttered with all the things I want to put on there. I have to keep reminding myself to keep it simple on my first real build. Well, I'm off to do some more painting, Hopefully I'll have made some progress by tomorrow.
Lady Ashgrove
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #213 on: June 02, 2011, 02:46:28 am »

don't forget if you want a really shiny painted soda bottle

spray the inside

you also don't have to worry about the paint getting scratched
Orcon Windar
Officer

« Reply #214 on: June 02, 2011, 04:10:05 am »

Almost done with the pack. Just need to put on the wings, and find some way to keep it on my back. Unfortunately, the pack really is very skinny, so I'll have to be extra creative when putting on the number. Grin
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #215 on: June 02, 2011, 05:25:41 am »

Almost done with the pack. Just need to put on the wings, and find some way to keep it on my back. Unfortunately, the pack really is very skinny, so I'll have to be extra creative when putting on the number. Grin

If you look at a lot of racing bikes, they don't have anywhere to stick the number so they have a panel on the front or on one side for the number - either way, you get the next number once your rocket pack photo is up here.
Orcon Windar
Officer

« Reply #216 on: June 02, 2011, 02:16:51 pm »

Thanks. I've almost finished the pack, just need to put o the hose for decoration and the straps. I should have a picture by Saturday.
josecou
Snr. Officer

« Reply #217 on: June 02, 2011, 06:25:21 pm »

Excellent work.

Mechanism Man
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #218 on: June 02, 2011, 11:33:09 pm »

No burnt backside and graceful as a bird. A proper Rocket man.

Sometimes, I think that the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that none of it has ever tried to contact us...
Calvin and Hobbs.
Orcon Windar
Officer

« Reply #219 on: June 02, 2011, 11:36:51 pm »

Beautiful.

And I love the background too.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #220 on: June 03, 2011, 01:33:32 am »

Sure makes you wish you could really fly like that!
Nicely done!

Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

Capt of the "AO Victoria," Cdr of the Aeronauts!

« Reply #221 on: June 03, 2011, 05:51:21 am »

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2011/05/1000-jetpack-soars-nearly-a-mile-high.html

They have actually made a real, functioning jetpack.

I figured every one on here probably already knows, but just in case...

WARNING:  THE ABOVE MAY BE POSTED UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF PAIN MEDICATION AND/OR ALCOHOL (read: Don't blame me for bad spelling or incoherence!)

Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Are you guys ready?  Okay, let's roll.
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #222 on: June 03, 2011, 08:12:26 am »

That is beautiful stuff!

If we do a rocket pack collective book with photos of people and their packs, this needs to be in the book.
Dr cornelius quack
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #223 on: June 03, 2011, 08:48:27 am »

Mr. Jack Union has left the building!!

And he's not in Kansas any more.
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #224 on: June 03, 2011, 10:40:48 am »

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2011/05/1000-jetpack-soars-nearly-a-mile-high.html

They have actually made a real, functioning jetpack.

I figured every one on here probably already knows, but just in case...

It flies really well and I'm sure over the next few years it will be possible to make componants for it smaller but at present it's not so much a 'jet pack' as a 'jet sideboard'

That's a great image of Jack Union doing his Cliff Secord impression..any chance of a larger version of that picture?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 10:43:18 am by Capt. Dirigible » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 51   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: