The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 19, 2017, 01:12:38 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The rocket pack collective thread  (Read 126159 times)
Maets
Immortal
United States United States

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #1175 on: September 26, 2014, 07:56:49 pm »

Not that I dislike the silvery one, looks fab, but am more drawn to the brass personally.

I love the contrast of different metals in one piece, so yep, I'm with you on that one.

Great work as usual, hope they sell for a decent price and go to a deserving home.

~SeVeN~

Thanks!  They aren't the fastest selling things, but they ultimately do.  And I love making them.  Its the kind of thing that people have to see in person.  That way the can see how it is made and what is used to make it.  Also brings people into the booth at a show so I like having one or two on display.

Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1176 on: September 27, 2014, 12:13:13 am »

Smiley

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
IGetPwnedOften
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer

« Reply #1177 on: September 27, 2014, 06:01:47 pm »

Further to my last, I've made some changes to my boy's rocket pack. I added a 12v motor and made an ornithopter-type mechanism to make some flapping wings. The whole thing was fabricated by me (which I'm quite pleased about) out of steel, aluminium and brass with ball bearings on all the joints.

http://youtu.be/E3Cyo5bTza0

"Geoffrey, take their coats. No, not up the tree..."
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #1178 on: September 27, 2014, 06:11:39 pm »

Wonderful!!!!!

However, your son looked a little bored.  Need to get him to run around, smile?

Now you need the images with him in full regalia.

Again: Very nice.
IGetPwnedOften
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1179 on: September 27, 2014, 06:14:07 pm »

He was under orders to stand still - that was about the tenth attempt to get some pictures and a short video.

I wish I could find a way to use him to power something - he's like a perpetual motion machine  Grin

We need to dig out his rocketeer outfit, but he wanted to try it as soon it was finished...
milamber
Deck Hand

« Reply #1180 on: October 31, 2014, 02:32:37 pm »

Hopefully better late than never here is my rocket pack/dragonfly hybrid. I didn't get to wear it at the Asylum as planned as the house move meant we couldn't go. It's all brass and copper, except for a few internal bolts which are steel.

Some more pictures here

http://s393.photobucket.com/user/chriseast/library/Rocket%20Pack
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #1181 on: October 31, 2014, 02:46:30 pm »

My first thought was that. the gauges were a bit much, but then I realized they are the eyes of the dragonfly.  Actually works quite nicely.  Do the wings have any support structure?

Well done and welcome to the Collective.
milamber
Deck Hand

« Reply #1182 on: October 31, 2014, 04:14:47 pm »

In an ideal world I'd have used smaller gauges, but these were a bargain so I couldn't pass them up. The wings are just 2mm brass sheet, artificially aged, and mounted onto steel bolts with brass dome nuts. No other support, but they aren't too heavy. I wanted to be able to remove them easily for transport.
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1183 on: November 01, 2014, 03:07:29 am »

Well done!!
I like the composition of it, nice and tidy and symmetrical.  Smiley
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #1184 on: November 07, 2014, 11:18:08 am »

Hopefully better late than never here is my rocket pack/dragonfly hybrid. I didn't get to wear it at the Asylum as planned as the house move meant we couldn't go. It's all brass and copper, except for a few internal bolts which are steel.

Some more pictures here

http://s393.photobucket.com/user/chriseast/library/Rocket%20Pack

Just beautiful - the wife wants one now.

'...within interventions distance of the embassy...
Mellowman
Deck Hand

« Reply #1185 on: November 10, 2014, 09:01:27 pm »

Hullo all you rocketeers

Just found this today at an antique, vintage and collectors fair, please note the bargain price of just ten, that's right, only ten of your fine english crisp pund notes, seen similar on auction sites for as much as £70!!

If we include, perhaps a pair of these

And the frame from this

I believe we have the beginnings of an emergency escape rocket pack?

And so, some time later we have the rockets and fuel cells mounted in the rocket pack frame

And a wrist controller and an instrument panel

I also have a smoker to make the rockets smoke, just need to connect it all together then I've finished, for now....
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 09:03:05 pm by Mellowman » Logged
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #1186 on: November 10, 2014, 11:08:38 pm »

Looking Good!
Mellowman
Deck Hand

« Reply #1187 on: November 10, 2014, 11:22:38 pm »

Only problem us all my dials are at zero, font know how to adjust them to read anything else... Any ideas? The glass doesn't unscrew...
Thomas MSwift
Officer

@AdmiralSwift
« Reply #1188 on: November 16, 2014, 12:15:02 am »

How do  I look? Like a HOOD ORNAMENT!"

"The realm between planets is filled with the luminiferous ether."
Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

Capt of the "AO Victoria," Cdr of the Aeronauts!

« Reply #1189 on: December 01, 2014, 06:04:30 am »

I leave for a few months and come back to this, and DAMN there are some amazing things going on!

Y'all put anything (and everything) could do to shame, fellas.  Not going to lie.

I AM, however, about to start working on a set of Mando Armor (Star Wars), and it requires a jet pack (well, it's an optional thing).  I'm thinking I can suitably steam up a canon jet pack while staying in the CRLs (Costume Guidelines).  I mean, some of the tech in Star Wars as it is is very steamy to start with, yeah?

WARNING:  THE ABOVE MAY BE POSTED UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF PAIN MEDICATION AND/OR ALCOHOL (read: Don't blame me for bad spelling or incoherence!)

Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Are you guys ready?  Okay, let's roll.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #1190 on: December 01, 2014, 01:45:37 pm »

Welcome back.  Looking forward to see what you come up with for a rocket pack.
Jedediah Solomon
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

If all else fails, get a larger hammer

« Reply #1191 on: December 31, 2014, 06:28:35 pm »

I do find the all brass a little too much.  I prefer a mixture of brass, copper and steel.  Most of my pieces are a combination.

I am at a loss....what did you mean by "a little too much"?
One can never have too much Brass.  IMHO

Adventure awaits
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #1192 on: December 31, 2014, 06:59:35 pm »

I do find the all brass a little too much.  I prefer a mixture of brass, copper and steel.  Most of my pieces are a combination.

I am at a loss....what did you mean by "a little too much"?
One can never have too much Brass.  IMHO

I guess I am not a purist.  I like a combination of natural colors, from brass, copper, and steel.  Throw in a little wood and glass now and again.
Mellowman
Deck Hand

« Reply #1193 on: January 03, 2015, 08:16:06 pm »

Hullo all you rocketeers

Just found this today at an antique, vintage and collectors fair, please note the bargain price of just ten, that's right, only ten of your fine english crisp pund notes, seen similar on auction sites for as much as £70!!

If we include, perhaps a pair of these

And the frame from this

I believe we have the beginnings of an emergency escape rocket pack?

And so, some time later we have the rockets and fuel cells mounted in the rocket pack frame

And a wrist controller and an instrument panel

I also have a smoker to make the rockets smoke, just need to connect it all together then I've finished, for now....

And now the finished (ish) jetpack, excepting some arty touch ups and finagling - blurry shit sorry, need better lighting!

IGetPwnedOften
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1194 on: January 04, 2015, 12:08:44 am »

Brilliant. Do you a picture or video of it smoking?
Mellowman
Deck Hand

« Reply #1195 on: January 04, 2015, 12:47:47 am »

Brilliant. Do you a picture or video of it smoking?

Not yet, but I will once I've got the t's crossed and the I's dotted, there's flashing lights as well!
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #1196 on: January 04, 2015, 03:09:22 am »

I leave for a few months and come back to this, and DAMN there are some amazing things going on!

Y'all put anything (and everything) could do to shame, fellas.  Not going to lie.

I AM, however, about to start working on a set of Mando Armor (Star Wars), and it requires a jet pack (well, it's an optional thing).  I'm thinking I can suitably steam up a canon jet pack while staying in the CRLs (Costume Guidelines).  I mean, some of the tech in Star Wars as it is is very steamy to start with, yeah?

There you are.

Good to hear from you again brother - been too long.

Maduncle.
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1197 on: January 04, 2015, 03:04:29 pm »

Forgive me, but...er, um, how do you read your guages while in flight?
Got to pay attention to that fuel level when you're above the clouds.
Mellowman
Deck Hand

« Reply #1198 on: January 04, 2015, 03:57:19 pm »

Forgive me, but...er, um, how do you read your guages while in flight?
Got to pay attention to that fuel level when you're above the clouds.

An excellent question my dear fellow!  However many vehicles never had fuel gauges, I myself, had a motorised bi-wheeled vehicle that only had a low fuel warning light and it wasn't terribly old, just from the early '90s.  You need to know how much fuel is in the fuel cells initially, then, if you are an expert flyer, you just know how many mins if flight time you have.  The gauges are there mainly to indicate fuel pressure to, ensure correct pressure is attained prior to take off, the pressure is developed manually - perhaps you noticed the handles at the top of the fuel cells? The control box can be latched up to accommodate this.  Also the gauges are there mainly for the flight crew to ensure that all the systems are running smoothly, prior to take off and on landing, rather than for inflight information. Their are indicator lights on the wrist controller to indicate low fuel/pressure etc.  I hope this answers your jolly clever question.
IGetPwnedOften
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1199 on: January 04, 2015, 05:43:25 pm »

My kids were given a school project over the Christmas holidays to build something from a pop bottle. My son immediately said "rocket pack with smoke" so we came up with the Bottle Rocket.

As the kids were supposed to do as much of the work themselves as possible, during this project we learned about sandblasting, painting, sewing, electrical circuits, radio control circuits, changing states of matter (fog fluid from liquid to vapour) and most inportantly, patience.

The end result:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Preparing for flight:

The internals, scavenged from other projects which is why the wiring is a bit haphazard  Grin

Blasting the plastic parts with baking powder in preparation for painting:

Two colour coats and a coat of satin poly varnish:

Sewing the buckles onto the polypropylene webbing straps:

The whole thing cost less than £15 and £8 of that was the battery. My boy did about 80% of the work himself, under strict guidance of course.

Finally, a short video of the test firing:

http://youtu.be/wPPGwpZStNI
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: