The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 16, 2017, 06:01:06 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The rocket pack collective thread  (Read 128611 times)
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #1150 on: July 27, 2014, 11:27:29 pm »

Yes of course but Dastardly thinks you deserve a decoration from that pigeon.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #1151 on: July 28, 2014, 10:02:49 am »

Very nice, Dr - consider yourself gonged!
milamber
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1152 on: July 28, 2014, 02:34:18 pm »

My rocket pack is about 80% there, just needs assembling and the wings making. I want to use either brass or copper sheet for the wings, but am a little stuck over what thickness to get. Wings will be around 30cm long and 10cm wide. I don't want it so flexible that it bends when I'm wearing it, but obviously not to thick that it's both heavy (and expensive). Thinking around 1.2 mm would be okay, but would appreciate any advice.
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #1153 on: July 31, 2014, 11:33:57 am »

My rocket pack is about 80% there, just needs assembling and the wings making. I want to use either brass or copper sheet for the wings, but am a little stuck over what thickness to get. Wings will be around 30cm long and 10cm wide. I don't want it so flexible that it bends when I'm wearing it, but obviously not to thick that it's both heavy (and expensive). Thinking around 1.2 mm would be okay, but would appreciate any advice.

Well - copper sheet is going to be more flexible than brass so it will depend upon what material you use.

I would work with 1.2mm to 1.6mm thickness, easy to cut and shape by hand.

'...within interventions distance of the embassy...
milamber
Deck Hand

« Reply #1154 on: July 31, 2014, 11:40:49 pm »

Thanks for that. I was coming around to 1.5mm as a compromise. I've considered using stainless steel as it would provide a great contrast, but it's not really an appropriate metal for a neo-Victorian rocket pack and might be a lot harder to work with than copper or brass.
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #1155 on: August 05, 2014, 08:22:29 am »

Maybe wings made from 'Gutta Percha'?

Easy to simulate.

Maets
Immortal
United States United States

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #1156 on: September 13, 2014, 03:14:05 am »

Working on a new rocket pack.  Started this one a couple of months ago, but didn't like what I had for nozzles.  So I put it aside.  Found the perfect nozzles for this build in Goodwill, so I pulled it out but didn't like what I was going to use as the fuel tank.  Decided this morning it was time to try again.  Mostly done at this point.  Some details to take care of tomorrow after I sleep on it.  This one is more chrome than brass, so not "true" steampunk, but definitely fits the Rocket Pack Collective.  I'll post pictures tomorrow.

Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #1157 on: September 14, 2014, 02:08:03 am »

Here it is. This is my 10th rocket pack.  One of my favorite things to make.  Plan to wear it tomorrow to the Maryland Renfair.  Still needs a stand and I may add some more doodads?

Uses an old hood ornament, two aluminum cylinders for the supply tanks, and two chrome plated brass candle sticks for the nozzles.

A replica ships telegraph for the control. 

The entire piece is relatively light weight. I'll see how it feels after a few hours with it on.
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1158 on: September 14, 2014, 02:19:15 pm »

Cool Cool.

Now, by me that hood ornament would have been cost prohibited. Angry

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #1159 on: September 14, 2014, 10:33:05 pm »

Cool Cool.

Now, by me that hood ornament would have been cost prohibited. Angry

Thanks.   I got a great deal on it a year ago at a big auto flea market in Hersey, PA.  The guy had a pile of them all priced $30 to $40 each.  I said that was way out of my range as I wanted more than one.  He ask "How many do you want, I have 12 of them?"  I said "if the price is right, I would take them all." He said "How about $120 for all of them?"  I said "SOLD".  For ten bucks a piece I could not resist.  And they are all in pretty good shape. I have so far use 4 of them.  You never know when others will show up in my work.

Going back to the flea market in a couple of weeks.  Looking for more bargains.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #1160 on: September 14, 2014, 11:27:33 pm »

A few shots of me with the pack.

Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1161 on: September 15, 2014, 12:47:26 am »

Obviously,  you STOLE those from him! Roll Eyes Screamin' deal! Shocked

Someday, I'll go to Hershey, but I hear that it has been changing.  Of course,  that's how it goes and I'll probably still go. Smiley
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #1162 on: September 15, 2014, 01:50:39 am »

Once again - superb work Maets.

You are producing some wonderful pieces, I would love to see a full chrome stylised 'atompunk' jet pack one day.

Cheers,
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #1163 on: September 15, 2014, 02:39:54 am »

Thanks.  My next one is probably with lots of brass, but I do want to do an all chrome.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #1164 on: September 17, 2014, 01:54:06 am »

Ok, so chrome and steel is not your thing.  Being in a rocket pack making mood, here is another almost complete that is almost entirely brass.  No welding required, just lots of soldering.  A number of the parts came from the alabaster lamps I posted on the Flea Market thread.  The nozzles are set high, above the wearers center of gravity for great stability in flight.  See earlier in this thread for info on a real flyable rocket pack with high nozzles for stability.

Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1165 on: September 17, 2014, 02:53:32 am »

Mmmmmm, plasma table, er, I mean, nice pack!

All of them, be it chrome, steel, brass, etc. are fantastic pieces! What's the control hose/cable made of?
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #1166 on: September 17, 2014, 03:00:47 am »

That is my main table for cutting, but also for bell making.  Made it years ago and it still works great.

I do find the all brass a little too much.  I prefer a mixture of brass, copper and steel.  Most of my pieces are a combination.

The hose came from an antique car horn. It is brass.  I used the horn awhile back for an iPod speaker.  Added part of a cutting torch for the rocket pack control.
IGetPwnedOften
Snr. Officer

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer

« Reply #1167 on: September 17, 2014, 06:33:54 pm »

Lovely job Maets  Grin

After building a couple of lightweight plastic packs for the kids, I'd always intended to make a "proper" one and having recently acquired several Pyrene extinguishers and being nagged by my boy to make one for him for the Asylum weekend, I made this one.

It took less than a day (as it was Thursday and we were going to the event on Friday) so a bit of a hatchet job but it will form the basis for a more elaborate pack later, and even though I was short on time I managed to make a fit a small smoke generator, which happily worked all weekend without setting either the pack or my son on fire  Grin

And a shot of the internals and the battery carrier. I made this as a chest pack to counter-balance the pack.

(Photos above by Joe Slatter)

As I said, I made it very quickly so it's a bit rough and ready at the moment but there's a long way to go yet. I also shot a short video of the pack in action, although I subsequently changed the angle of the nozzle:
Rocket Pack

"Geoffrey, take their coats. No, not up the tree..."
Moriarty
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #1168 on: September 17, 2014, 09:10:16 pm »

After a rather s*ity day this puts a smile back on my face  Smiley
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #1169 on: September 18, 2014, 12:25:52 am »

I like the way you put the door.  No idea it had a door from the first picture, but it gives nice access when needed.  Very impressive for a single day construction. 

Those pyrene tanks are perfect for such builds.
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #1170 on: September 20, 2014, 12:00:56 pm »

Lovely job Maets  Grin

After building a couple of lightweight plastic packs for the kids, I'd always intended to make a "proper" one and having recently acquired several Pyrene extinguishers and being nagged by my boy to make one for him for the Asylum weekend, I made this one.

It took less than a day (as it was Thursday and we were going to the event on Friday) so a bit of a hatchet job but it will form the basis for a more elaborate pack later, and even though I was short on time I managed to make a fit a small smoke generator, which happily worked all weekend without setting either the pack or my son on fire  Grin

And a shot of the internals and the battery carrier. I made this as a chest pack to counter-balance the pack.

(Photos above by Joe Slatter)

As I said, I made it very quickly so it's a bit rough and ready at the moment but there's a long way to go yet. I also shot a short video of the pack in action, although I subsequently changed the angle of the nozzle:
Rocket Pack

Fantastic - I bet your lad was well chuffed.

Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #1171 on: September 26, 2014, 03:15:29 am »

Some better pictures of the two new rocket packs.  Both shown without the harness, but on their display stand. The first is all brass and second is not.

Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain

Asymetry is the bane of my life

« Reply #1172 on: September 26, 2014, 07:41:46 am »

Beautiful work, though I can't help prefering the brass one  Wink

Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #1173 on: September 26, 2014, 02:06:41 pm »

Beautiful work, though I can't help prefering the brass one  Wink

Many thanks.  It was an interesting experiment for me.  No brass versus all brass.  I find I prefer a more of a mix.  Steel, brass and copper together.
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1174 on: September 26, 2014, 03:30:52 pm »

Not that I dislike the silvery one, looks fab, but am more drawn to the brass personally.

I love the contrast of different metals in one piece, so yep, I'm with you on that one.

Great work as usual, hope they sell for a decent price and go to a deserving home.

~SeVeN~

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: