The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 06:15:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The rocket pack collective thread  (Read 126452 times)
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #1050 on: June 03, 2013, 03:10:00 pm »

A rocket powered guitar? It would certainly be a novelty

I don't know about 'rocket powered'..but Ace Frehley of KISS has had a rocket firing guitar for a couple of decades now..
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 10:31:53 am by Capt. Dirigible » Logged

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
Maets
Immortal
United States United States

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #1051 on: June 12, 2013, 06:39:26 pm »

New book on Jet Packs - real ones

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/11/jet-pack-history-new-book_n_3422575.html?utm_hp_ref=science&ir=Science

maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #1052 on: June 19, 2013, 01:04:10 am »

Thanks Professor.
It has a certain 'Olde Worlde Charme'.

Please excuse the accumulation of straw. I'd been doing a bit of 'Barnstorming.

Final result.

Barns-1
Dr. Quack-0

Will we see your new model at Lincoln this year?

I do like your rocket pack - very theatrical.

'...within interventions distance of the embassy...
IGetPwnedOften
Snr. Officer

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer

« Reply #1053 on: July 01, 2013, 12:08:03 am »

Well, after much wailing and gnashing of teeth, I've come up with a variation of something we've discussed at some length - a rocket-pack drinks dispenser.

When we take the kids out, we have to cart two water bottles around with us, so I built this. It has a 3 liter Camelbak collapsible water carrier inside, accessible via the blue tube with a bite-valve on the end, so now I can water the children in a fashion akin to an in-flight refueling drogue.

I kept the "rocket" bit fairly simple as I wanted to keep the weight down as much as possible, but of course, me being me I put a plasma disk and some flashing lights on it  Grin

The best bit of it is, as the day progresses, it will get lighter. Now I just need to finish off a bit of leather trim around the plasma disk, and make some straps...

"Geoffrey, take their coats. No, not up the tree..."
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #1054 on: July 01, 2013, 01:06:02 am »

Drinks all around.
Dr cornelius quack
Rogue Ætherlord

Arrant Carney. Phmebian Cultural Attache.

« Reply #1055 on: July 01, 2013, 06:37:05 am »

Careful!!

It's Rocket Fuel!!

Such are the feeble bases on which many a public character rests.

Today, I am two, separate Gorillas.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #1056 on: July 01, 2013, 07:57:41 pm »

Should probably fill it with Red Bull (it gives you wings)
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1057 on: July 01, 2013, 10:04:55 pm »

This did make me larff!

Suggestion:  2 smaller containers inside with pink and blue pipes, him and her.  By the way, did you know that in Victorian times it was blue for a girl and red for a boy?  Anyway, then the two can have their choice of drink carried by Dad.
Beorngard
Deck Hand

mortonburnar
« Reply #1058 on: July 10, 2013, 04:52:10 pm »

Very nice.  Glad it finally became a reality.

Wait, so you're saying the signature will be after every post?
Professor Elliott
Officer
England England

« Reply #1059 on: July 10, 2013, 10:31:07 pm »

I like that! And when the children aren't with you... wine!

Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #1060 on: July 23, 2013, 01:38:17 pm »

Owen Mortimer
Officer

Keep running, you'll just run out of steam.

« Reply #1061 on: July 27, 2013, 09:28:41 pm »

I'm not sure if this would count as a jetpack per se, but this was the closest thread I could find to put my idea up so... here it goes. Since my personal steam-sona is a bounty hunter/hired gun who tinkers his own tools and weaponry, I figured this would help me greatly with catching targets and completing contracts more sufficiently.

Been working on some ideas and sketching schematics for a different kind of transportation pack wear. Instead of air travel, however, it would harness and utilize powers of the aether to warp my person short distances. Not in the sense a form of teleportation, more along the lines of temporal or planar displacement. Using the aether realms to travel faster and shorter distances within our plane.

Design wise, I was thinking a more compact version of the teleporter pack used by the space marine commander from Dawn of War: Dark Crusade.

I shall call my contraption: the ARC-Pack (Aetheric Relocation Calculation Pack)
If anyone has any acronym ideas feel free to toss me your ideas.

Owen Mortimer: Professional Bounty Hunter and Hired Gun
Current Location: Classified
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #1062 on: July 27, 2013, 09:40:03 pm »

Looking forward to seeing what you create.  Here is an early one of mine that combines the rocket pack with a Time Dilation Unit.

Short jumps with the Rocket Pack.  Time jumps with the Time Dilator.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #1063 on: July 28, 2013, 11:03:13 pm »

Just got an all copper fire fighters water tank.  Cleaning it up now.  Will be the basis for my next rocket pack.
Major Willoughby Chase
« Reply #1064 on: August 06, 2013, 09:31:26 am »

Well, after finally being reminded this thread is here (by a spammer of all people) I give to you The Chase M.E. Jump Pack that I made quite a while ago now.  Part of an ongoing larger project, the Chase M.E. is designed not for sustained flight, but for boarding manoeuvres between airships and also for airship defence and anti airship warfare (with weapons to being worked on currently).

It uses the same Swedish military rucksack frame as Herr Doktor's build, two Pyrene extinguishers on their brackets as the fuel cells and their mountings, so that these can be removed for transport, or display. A copper chestnut pan (if it has holes in the top, it is not a bed warmer) as the fuel mix/ignition chamber. This is linked to the fuel sells by two flexible tap connectors (originally bare metal, now copper coloured)) that have brass elbows that fit in to the original extinguisher filling holes. A couple of Candlestick bases as the exhaust ports, two wheels from a brass cannon as the port grils and a couple of tiny jewellery propellers, which in my mind work connected to a gauge that informs the rider, just how much thrust is being generated.  All the leather used in the build came from the leather straps from the rucksack and it is used to hold the brackets on to the frame, provide straps around the bottles for extra security in flight.

All etching is done by our very own Herr Doktor and apart from the Engine Plate, which I designed myself, uses two of Dr. Geof's First tea Company patch designs, with kind permission from the artist himself.

As you can see in the pictures, of the two outfits I have worn it with, I have paired it with a Swedish Bandolier, the very kind the rucksack would have been worn with originally and which it has loops for hooking the rucksack straps to. I also generally wear the gauntlet that Herr Doktor decorated for me.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 09:33:32 am by Major Willoughby Chase » Logged
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #1065 on: August 06, 2013, 11:25:00 am »

Well, after finally being reminded this thread is here (by a spammer of all people) I give to you The Chase M.E. Jump Pack

At last! I wondered when we were going to see your rather splendid jet pack. I cast an envious eye over it at Asylum last year.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #1066 on: August 06, 2013, 12:32:18 pm »

Nice rocket pack and great overall look.
Kathy_Davidson
Officer

« Reply #1067 on: August 06, 2013, 01:13:19 pm »

(shameless plug of an event) Why not bring it along to this years Asylum and take park in the Wacky Racers: Rocket Pack Division? Cheesy

There is no such thing as useless knowledge, just dull ways to obtain it.
IGetPwnedOften
Snr. Officer

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer

« Reply #1068 on: August 06, 2013, 05:53:32 pm »

Very nice pack, and the whole outfit looks great  Grin
Major Willoughby Chase
« Reply #1069 on: August 06, 2013, 06:02:40 pm »

At last! I wondered when we were going to see your rather splendid jet pack. I cast an envious eye over it at Asylum last year.

*grin* I am rather proud of it, it's my first big Steampunk build, I was determined not to post anything on here until it had been to the Asylum and then I simply forgot.

Nice rocket pack and great overall look.

Many thanks, it's nice to be making things again, I stopped after I had to retire from LRP due to ill health, it's great to be fiddling with bits and pieces again.

(shameless plug of an event) Why not bring it along to this years Asylum and take park in the Wacky Racers: Rocket Pack Division? Cheesy

Not my sort of thing I'm afraid.

Very nice pack, and the whole outfit looks great  Grin

Many thanks, I tried the first outfit shown initially, but on all but the coldest days it is entirely impractical, the leather breeches and sheepskin pilot jacket are quite warm enough, before the addition of the breast and back, then all the brass, copper and steel of the build. I worked through the second outfit for something else, then decided it was just what I needed and worked well with, or without, the jump pack. Now it's part of a full outfit I'm putting together with helmet, weapon etc to create a rather weighty show piece. Besides, the latter outfit looks delightfully sinister.

A couple more images by the wonderfully talented Martin Soulstealer (of the outfit rather than the pack).

« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 06:13:03 pm by Major Willoughby Chase » Logged
Dr cornelius quack
Rogue Ætherlord

Arrant Carney. Phmebian Cultural Attache.

« Reply #1070 on: August 06, 2013, 11:27:34 pm »

Not my sort of thing I'm afraid.

Quite right too!!

It's the sort of thing that plays 'Merry Hell' with ones drinking schedule.

Perhaps some form of 'Concours d'Elegance' event might be more in your line?

Beautiful pack, Major.

Looks wonderfully 'lived in'.

Which is, of course, a good thing.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 11:36:09 pm by Dr cornelius quack » Logged
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #1071 on: August 06, 2013, 11:58:42 pm »

Well, after finally being reminded this thread is here (by a spammer of all people) I give to you The Chase M.E. Jump Pack that I made quite a while ago now.  Part of an ongoing larger project, the Chase M.E. is designed not for sustained flight, but for boarding manoeuvres between airships and also for airship defence and anti airship warfare (with weapons to being worked on currently).

It uses the same Swedish military rucksack frame as Herr Doktor's build, two Pyrene extinguishers on their brackets as the fuel cells and their mountings, so that these can be removed for transport, or display. A copper chestnut pan (if it has holes in the top, it is not a bed warmer) as the fuel mix/ignition chamber. This is linked to the fuel sells by two flexible tap connectors (originally bare metal, now copper coloured)) that have brass elbows that fit in to the original extinguisher filling holes. A couple of Candlestick bases as the exhaust ports, two wheels from a brass cannon as the port grils and a couple of tiny jewellery propellers, which in my mind work connected to a gauge that informs the rider, just how much thrust is being generated.  All the leather used in the build came from the leather straps from the rucksack and it is used to hold the brackets on to the frame, provide straps around the bottles for extra security in flight.

All etching is done by our very own Herr Doktor and apart from the Engine Plate, which I designed myself, uses two of Dr. Geof's First tea Company patch designs, with kind permission from the artist himself.

As you can see in the pictures, of the two outfits I have worn it with, I have paired it with a Swedish Bandolier, the very kind the rucksack would have been worn with originally and which it has loops for hooking the rucksack straps to. I also generally wear the gauntlet that Herr Doktor decorated for me.

Wow - the whole thing loos wonderful and I do like the etched plate - nice touch.
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #1072 on: August 13, 2013, 11:54:41 pm »

Yes, that is post #1, race number stickers are still available.

During the meanwhile...

http://www.skynews.com.au/tech/article.aspx?id=896423

grimnir
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Maker of fine Leathercrafts

« Reply #1073 on: August 14, 2013, 09:08:19 am »

And here's the official website for the Martin Jetpack - I want one!

http://martinjetpack.com/

Kindest regards, Raven

Professor Elliott
Officer
England England

« Reply #1074 on: August 17, 2013, 10:51:32 am »

It was seeing Major Chase's jet pack up close that inspired my own build!

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29912.msg853698.html#msg853698
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: