The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 12:06:37 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Potential energy(springs)  (Read 1203 times)
Karbunkle
Deck Hand
United States United States

Gravatar

« on: March 22, 2011, 04:22:33 am »

I'm just wondering if a thread topic has been started on springs? As we all know old timing pieces have springs and torsion bars and so forth...Has anybody done steampunk work with springs as the basis of the of mecha for movement ? I read alot of different articles on some interesting developments in this area and knowing it would equate well with the general aim of all ye tinkerers....
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 06:38:30 am »

If rubber bands count, I make airsoft weaponry from them.

What do we want? Decapitations!
Karbunkle
Deck Hand

Gravatar

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 11:40:51 am »

Actually yes! I read an article where an engineer used a large system of rubber bands to power an interesting leg musculature setup. Sort of an exo-suit. I think he had to balance it precisely but it worked. Even something so innocent as a rubber band could be made to be of use. 
S.L. Vickers
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Mutton Chops under construction

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 10:36:59 pm »

I don't know if it is of any use to you but I've seen old clockwork motors from Meccano sets at various fairs (models, vintage toys, ect) for just a few pounds. I'm kicking myself for not buying any! They were big and bulky (reminiscent of padlocks) so probably not as delicate as those in watches.
Narsil
Immortal
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 06:48:26 pm »

In general springs are capable of  handling large forces and storing releasing energy very quickly, however compared to many other forms of energy storage they have quite a low power density ie the total amount of energy they can store per unit mass is quite low.

SO although its possible to make very powerful springs for things like vehicle (and even building) suspension, bows etc the idea of a 'clockwork' car powered by springs is not very practical. Having said that springs in the forms of elastic muscles and tendons are a vital part of many forms of animal locomotion

A man of eighty has outlived probably three new schools of painting, two of architecture and poetry and a hundred in dress.
Lord Byron
sidecar_jon
Snr. Officer

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 11:28:17 am »

This might be of interest re-springs....http://www.woodthatworks.com/negator-spring/

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: