The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 18, 2017, 11:44:46 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Extending a crown  (Read 1037 times)
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« on: March 21, 2011, 03:25:11 am »

Hi,I have an idea in me head for a watch design I would like to try(once I finish everything else on my bench Tongue). Does anyone know what to use to extend the shaft for a crown. I would like to place a movement into a larger case. It needs to be centered and therefore the crown would not be accessible. What may I use to add onto the shaft/pole-piece to make it longer? Is there such a thing and would this be a reasonably priced item from a watch repair store?
Thank you all for your help!

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
Noxtradamus
Officer
Canada Canada

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 09:19:38 pm »

Winding stems are usually a bit longer than what is needed to fit in the watch, and then cut down to size. If it's still not long enough, a sleeve used to repair broken stems could be use to extend one a bit more. It really depends, how much longer do you need it to be? (and, the longer it is, the more prone to beak it will be.)

Both solutions should not cost that much, although the sleeves are not used that much anymore.
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 12:56:31 am »

Thanks. I'm looking to extend it by at least 15mm possibly up to 20mm. I thought of a way before I read your response=same concept,using a steel bar/shaft with a tube(sleeve) to connect them. Probably use epoxy to make the connection and maybe build up the extension with more layers of tubes(-to make it stronger?).

How easy is it to remove the crown from the stem?

watch_guy
Deck Hand

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 02:22:39 pm »

The easiest solution is to get on the phone with a material supplier, tell them the caliber number of the movement, and ask them for the longest stem they have for that movement.

If what they have isn't long enough, hop on the lathe and make one to suit your needs.

Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 11:30:41 pm »

It's an older Hilton,I haven't even looked it up yet,has a cracked crystal but it's movement is in great cond. and about 30+ seconds fast per 24hrs.

A lathe you say? Haven't tried one of those yet-find me one for a buck and I'll give it a...spin. Roll Eyes
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: