The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
August 23, 2017, 06:46:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The London & Western Home Counties Steampunk Society  (Read 6482 times)
Prof_Von_Grumbleflick
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

London & Western Home Counties Steampunk Society

« on: March 01, 2011, 01:03:58 pm »

Hi all, This catchy little name that trips off the tongue is a wee group on Facebook set up at about 5am this morning.

In the west of London there seems to be a fair few Steampunky types who are all dressed up with nowhere to go. Hence this little thing.

We are organising our first event, not unlike some sort of launch party. That is to be a picnic in the summer (details via the group, to save crossposting).
So, if any of you lovely people out in this part of the world have such a thing as an FB account, please do add yourself and get involved!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_192784460754535

No matter how far you push the envelope, it remains stationery
vampyresheep
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 02:25:05 pm »

I'm Harrow based, so that just about falls in Middlesex!  Request sent to join the Facebook group!
AndiiV
Zeppelin Captain

@andii_valo
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 03:01:31 pm »

Vampyresheep - you're just up the road from me! I'm between Harrow and Watford.

Prof_Von_Grumbleflick
Snr. Officer

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 03:16:10 pm »

I'm really sorry about this, but it won't let me change the group so that you can just join if you like.

It isn't an elitism thing or anything that you have to "request to join and if you are deemed worthy enough, you will be put to the vote, seconded by an existing member and references from your great grandmother checked. Then if your DNA checks out against our database, granted access to the magic kingdom.

Just FaceBork being a knobend as usual. Smiley

Have granted you both access to the magic kingdom anyway. PM me and I'll tell you the secret handshake.
Welcome!
Lyca
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 04:13:00 pm »

North London based here, N16 (Stoke Newington)!
I have requested to join - please find enclosed DNA samples and references.
vampyresheep
Snr. Officer

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 05:07:52 pm »

Vampyresheep - you're just up the road from me! I'm between Harrow and Watford.

I'm Queensbury actually but nobody ever knows where that is (no mans land between Harrow, Edgware and Wembley!)
Prof_Von_Grumbleflick
Snr. Officer

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 05:20:59 pm »

North London based here, N16 (Stoke Newington)!
I have requested to join - please find enclosed DNA samples and references.

The references were forwarded onto the appropriate authorities and the DNA samples were delicious with my afternoon tea. Welcome aboard. Smiley
So, not 12 hours after starting it up, and almost into double figures already (eight). That's reassuring!

Please do check out the Picnic event on there as well. You should have got an automatic invite when you joined the group (but I know how easily those are ignored or missed!

Vampyresheep.. We didn't get any formal introductons on sunday and I was only told that it was you last night! It was good to meet you though! Cheesy
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 05:23:54 pm by Prof_Von_Grumbleflick » Logged
vampyresheep
Snr. Officer

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 05:42:57 pm »

So, not 12 hours after starting it up, and almost into double figures already (eight). That's reassuring!

Please do check out the Picnic event on there as well. You should have got an automatic invite when you joined the group (but I know how easily those are ignored or missed!

Vampyresheep.. We didn't get any formal introductons on sunday and I was only told that it was you last night! It was good to meet you though! Cheesy

Aha, good to meet you too!
I hope we can make it to the picnic; its just after we return from Leipzig so it will depend on energy levels (although its could well be a great excuse to run away from the mountain of holiday/festival laundry!)
Prof_Von_Grumbleflick
Snr. Officer

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 10:51:46 pm »

Into double Figures!

Well, the date is going to be pretty flexible. Have to see what else is going on around that time and don't want to tread on anyones' toes. Smiley

That date is merely a provisional target to be revised a little nearer the time.
Hollis Wood
Deck Hand

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 09:38:20 pm »

Good evening fellow Steamers,

Hollis Wood (aka Colin Wright) here bidding to join this illustrious FB group as I reside right next to the Steam Ship Landing Port known as Heathrow.

SP attire in production, but no stranger to the craft as I have been re-enacting and costuming for nigh on 20years.

Toodle Pip

H.

The Honourable Hollis P. Wood. Gentleman Aviator and Adventurer
Prof_Von_Grumbleflick
Snr. Officer

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 11:41:10 pm »

Welcome aboard, Hollis, both to the group and to BG.
Prof_Von_Grumbleflick
Snr. Officer

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 10:59:34 pm »

I have finally got my computer working again! My HDD started making some very unusual noises and died. Managed to get a lovely fat little 1TB one off Ebay and a student license for Windows 7 (which I'm not deperately impressed with so far). Makes a change from trying to navigate the internet from my mobile phone, certainly!

There's another meetup planned, folks.

The 17th April, again, back at our adoptive home, the Kew Bridge Steam Museum. One of the LWHCSS members wants to have a photoshoot, so lots of chances to pose about in your finest and get some great photos taken. It's a Sunday, so the museum will be running the rotative engines as well.

I'm not the organiser of this. If you want more info, check out the event on Facebook or talk to Scott in the group, but it's open to anyone who fancies a day out.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/event.php?eid=116527438421650
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 11:01:39 pm by Prof_Von_Grumbleflick » Logged
Professor Oilcan
Zeppelin Captain

Steam in the blood, birthday 10th March,

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2011, 08:41:49 am »

If I do go back on FB then I'll join, but keep me posted on here or when your next in on a Wednesday.

Dave

Professor G O Pivot Oilcan
Teacher of mad Steam related mayhem, mentor to a few mad scientists and owner of the Imperial Steam Powered Airship and Transportation Company.
Prof_Von_Grumbleflick
Snr. Officer

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2011, 01:46:37 pm »

Sorry, mate.. The last couple of weeks I've spent mostly in bed with a really nasty flu, hence I didn't come along. I woke up the afternoon after the giants weekend with it! I'm starting to get past it now so will be in next week.
Prof_Von_Grumbleflick
Snr. Officer

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2011, 04:38:44 pm »

Got a little website set up, folks.
lwhcss.yolasite.com

Smiley
Professor Oilcan
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2011, 07:58:02 pm »

[quote author=Prof_Von_Grumbleflick link=topic=29486.msg646198#msg646198 date=1299

I'm not the organiser of this. If you want more info, check out the event on Facebook or talk to Scott in the group, but it's open to anyone who fancies a day out.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/event.php?eid=116527438421650
[/quote]

As it is on Sunday, I'll be driving the steam locomotive on the railway that day, see everyone there  Cheesy
Prof_Von_Grumbleflick
Snr. Officer

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2011, 08:36:51 pm »

I read on the site that the railway will be running by then! Great fun!

Speaking of which, I still wanted to have a chat with you about that, mate. Smiley See you Weds.
Professor Oilcan
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2011, 09:06:57 pm »

I read on the site that the railway will be running by then! Great fun!

Speaking of which, I still wanted to have a chat with you about that, mate. Smiley See you Weds.

ok see you Wednesday
Prof_Von_Grumbleflick
Snr. Officer

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2011, 11:26:12 pm »

DON'T FORGET!

The photoshoot is this sunday at the Kew Bridge Steam Museum. Meeting in the car park at 11am.

ALSO:
Another event is in the pipeline:

SUNDAY 15/06 - Again at the KBSM, which has become something of a home to us.

This will be a Giants Of Steam weekend, as was the first meetup, when the big Beam Engines will be in steam. This one also will have the Annual Historic Fire Engines Rally, featuring loads of old engines from Pre-war models up to more recent ones, demonstrations, stuff for the kids and it should generally be a really good day out. Hopefully the weather should be fantastic for it, if recent weeks is anything to go by. Look at the Facebook group for full info on the event. Smiley
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 11:31:16 pm by Prof_Von_Grumbleflick » Logged
Professor Oilcan
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2011, 09:58:48 am »

DON'T FORGET!

The photoshoot is this sunday at the Kew Bridge Steam Museum. Meeting in the car park at 11am.

ALSO:
Another event is in the pipeline:

SUNDAY 15/06 - Again at the KBSM, which has become something of a home to us.

This will be a Giants Of Steam weekend, as was the first meetup, when the big Beam Engines will be in steam. This one also will have the Annual Historic Fire Engines Rally, featuring loads of old engines from Pre-war models up to more recent ones, demonstrations, stuff for the kids and it should generally be a really good day out. Hopefully the weather should be fantastic for it, if recent weeks is anything to go by. Look at the Facebook group for full info on the event. Smiley

Hopefully there will be at least 2 steam fire engines and we hope to have our Shand fire engine working for the Sunday, still working on the boiler so fingers crossed
Prof_Von_Grumbleflick
Snr. Officer

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2011, 11:19:46 am »

Et voila!

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,30376.0.html
Prof_Von_Grumbleflick
Snr. Officer

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2011, 03:05:50 pm »

Small website update:

Have added the next event to the events page. Also added is a weather map so you can check out how much sunshine you'll get.
Professor Oilcan
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2011, 07:30:39 pm »

A further update on the website http://lwhcss.yolasite.com/

More pages have been added and updates will occur more frequently, we also have added a video page that will carry our outings and trips but also some steampunk related stuff filmed at Kew Bridge Steam Museum our adopted home.

We also are now on Twitter for those who like to Twitter you can follow us on http://twitter.com/#!/LondonWesternSt

Most of you will also know we have a facebook group too thats http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_192784460754535&ap=1

Updates will be daily or as and when things happen, some of us are working hard to set up the Greatest Steampunk Exhibition which starts this Saturday at our adopted home. Hope to see you there at somepoint.

Professor Oilcan
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2011, 10:40:04 am »

Teaser pictures of the hotair engines to arrive soon

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_192784460754535&view=photos
Danbury Shakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2011, 04:18:15 pm »

Teaser pictures of the hotair engines to arrive soon

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_192784460754535&view=photos

Argh, I can't see them - curse you work place firewall.

I'll have to check them out later

Visit my Facebook page Jason's Gems Jewellery at jasonsgemsjewellery
or my website Jason's Gems
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: