The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2014, 11:12:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Forum highlights on twitter: @BG_couk

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dr. Crookshank builds a Medicine Show Wagon  (Read 3909 times)
Dr. Eldritch
Gunner
United States United States

« on: February 26, 2011, 09:36:33 pm »

Good day, friends.

I found this link t'other day and thought it might be of some small interest to the makers here.

http://eisengrimms.blogspot.com/2011/02/building-showmans-caravan-part-1.html

Mr. McClelland has been "with it" for quite some time.  It's possible that some of you may have seen him in his various shows, the Canadian-based Carnival Diablo being the one most familiar to me.

As an aspiring showman, I look upon his work with envy.  I especially look upon his garage with envy.  Ah, a place to work on stuff...bliss.

Regards,
Eldritch

Ennui is the mind-killer.
jcbanner
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 11:17:36 pm »

just read it, and part two (http://eisengrimms.blogspot.com/2011/02/building-showmans-caravan-part-2.html) waiting now for part three.  its neat to see how it is coming together.
Prof.Crookshank
Gunner
Canada Canada

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 07:55:11 am »

Salutations Dr. Eldritch!

Well well well... I have found this Wonderful Forum, and have now registered to be a part of your community Smiley
I am happy to hear that you like my new project, the Showman's Caravan is actually 98% done now and I am slowly leaking the 'Making of' before its proper unveiling in just a couple of weeks.

You may also keep up with my adventures as Prof. Crookshank on my NEW website- http://www.miracleelixer.com

This is a very important time in my history, because this new production will be just the beginning of an even larger concept over this next year based on the World of Steampunk.

I look forward to getting to know everyone on this board, because many people here are kindred spirits.

your fiend,
Prof. Crookshank

« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 06:50:12 pm by Prof.Crookshank » Logged

A low rumble could be heard as hooves pounded the pavement and horses pulled a strange caravan down the old dirt road. The townsfolk looked on, through closed shutters and cracked doors as the Medicine Show rolled into town. A stranger had come, and with him came the promise of mystery and miracles.
Dr. Eldritch
Gunner

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 02:04:08 am »

Welcome to the forum, Professor.

And...my most profuse apologies for getting your title wrong in my original post.   Embarrassed

Your shows have always been a bit of an inspiration to me in my (so far) failed plans to put on my own show, but I didn't realize until I read your blog that you do your own banners.  Wow.  Your World of Wonders front looks amazing. 

That wagon's gonna rock.

Regards,
Eldritch

Will Howard
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 06:21:52 am »

Looking forward to part 3!

"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."
Prof.Crookshank
Gunner
Canada Canada

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 07:28:06 am »

Thank you again Dr. Eldritch for the accolades, I am humbled and so glad that my work inspires you.
I want you to follow your muse and create the best show you can, it does not take money, as much as it takes passion and I feel that you have it in you to make it happen.

I have been painting banners and backdrops since 1981. I had the great fortune of being brought up on my grandfathers Carnival and I was around his banners that were originally painted in 1923. I own them all now and one of my favorites lines the wall of the interior of the World of Wonders.

I cannot hold a candle to my grandfathers life and career, his works and accomplishments will always over shadow my own.
He raised 9 children through the Great Depression by touring his Sideshow/Vaudeville/Medicine Show with his own hand built Carnival.
I am constantly amazed with the amount of things he invented that we take for granted these days.
He invented the first collapsible Ferris Wheel, the step mechanism that makes the horses go up and down on the Merry Go Round and the Tea Cup Ride that is being used in Disneyland. Plus, he was a botanist and chemist and created an amazing salve that was very effective against eczema.
And created something that we enjoy and use almost daily... the flavour crystal, which was the precursor to Kool-Aid!

I may wear a few different hats, but I tip my hat(s) to my Grandfather every chance I get.
I will be putting up an in depth history of my Grandfathers life on the Medicine Show website in the next month.

The process of creating and producing is such a satisfying journey and even more fulfilling once you get the production or attraction up in front of an audience. Prof. Crookshank's Traveling Medicine Show premieres on March 16th and I am very excited about performing as the character again.

I will post the link to Part 3 here very soon.

Stay tuned....

your fiend,
Prof. Crookshank
Prof.Crookshank
Gunner
Canada Canada

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 08:34:07 pm »

And now my fine minions... PART 3 of The Making of a Showman's Caravan is up on my BLOG.
This chapter is about details....

http://eisengrimms.blogspot.com/2011/03/building-showmans-caravan-part-3.html

ENJOY! Smiley

your fiend,
Prof. Crookshank
Prof.Crookshank
Gunner
Canada Canada

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 06:18:10 pm »

The story continues as PART 4 of the Building of a Showman's Caravan is up on my BLOG.

http://eisengrimms.blogspot.com/2011/03/building-showmans-caravan-part-4.html

your fiend,
Prof.Crookshank
The Squire
Zeppelin Admiral

Sans Peur

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 07:42:50 pm »

Prof.Crookshank, welcome to Brass Goggles! I very much enjoyed seeing the photos of your caravan and reading the story of your journey. I look forward to further installments.

"You don't mind breaking the law?"
        "Not in the least."
"Nor running a chance of arrest?"
        "Not in a good cause."
"Oh, the cause is excellent!"
         "Then I am your man."
Prof.Crookshank
Gunner
Canada Canada

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 07:45:50 pm »

Thank you Squire!

It is great to be around so many inventive and FUN thinking people. Smiley

The story starts to really take an interesting turn in the next installment  Wink

Have a great weekend!

your fiend,
Prof. Crookshank
Prof.Crookshank
Gunner
Canada Canada

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 08:14:14 pm »

And NOW the Fun truly begins!

This next installment shows the making of my Strange Miracle Elixer Distillery... as we continue our journey into 'The Building of a Showman's Caravan! 

http://eisengrimms.blogspot.com/2011/03/building-showmans-caravan-part-5.html

your fiend,
Prof. Crookshank
Prof. Crookshank's Traveling Medicine Show
Prof.Crookshank
Gunner
Canada Canada

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 08:03:49 pm »

Well my friends.... Part 6 of 'The Making of a Showman's Caravan' is up on my BLOG...

http://eisengrimms.blogspot.com/2011/03/building-showmans-caravan-part-6.html

The walls are closing in and a good strong Door is in order.  Wink

your fiend,
Prof. Crookshank
Prof.Crookshank
Gunner
Canada Canada

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 03:47:35 pm »

And now the continuing saga of 'The Building of a Showman's Caravan' is up on my BLOG!

http://eisengrimms.blogspot.com/2011/03/building-showmans-caravan-part-7.html

We are getting closer to completion... we are 75% done Smiley

Prof. Crookshank
SgtPepper
Snr. Officer

Pooh pooh!

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 05:22:38 am »

Very awesome.  Please keep us updated!
Tranzient Gallery
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2011, 01:51:57 am »

That looks good..... I fancied building mine that big but I lack the space.

Prof.Crookshank
Gunner
Canada Canada

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2011, 04:45:52 am »

Well my fiends, there is no rest for the wicked.... Part 8 of The Making of a Showman's Caravan is up on my BLOG... check it out!

http://eisengrimms.blogspot.com/2011/03/building-showmans-caravan-part-8.html

And Transient Gallery, you work looks great on the scale you have created, I like it alot, and it makes sense for the bike Smiley
I am 89% done the Showman's Caravan and will be doing the BIG Reveal verrrry soon!

Stay tuned...

your fiend,
Prof. Crookshank
Tranzient Gallery
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2011, 06:44:22 pm »

wow that it coming on very well...
I haven't got much further with mine atm as I have had some commissions to work on (which is a good thing) tomorrow I have a day in the workshop planned to make things for myself.... but I might just have a play with another idea I have had..... I have got a load of interesting bits and bobs floating about and I have a cunning plan of what to do with them. will probably post it somewhere if it works.
Herr Döktor
Gadgeteer, Contraptionist, and Inventor, FVSS
Time Traveler

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2011, 10:53:54 pm »

Do you know, Professor, I do believe I saw your travelling show one summer in Toronto...

Small world, eh?

Cheesy

Prof.Crookshank
Gunner
Canada Canada

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2011, 06:28:48 am »

Prof. Crookshank's Traveling Medicine Show premiered at the Lindsay Spring Fest on March 16th and played daily for 3 days to great crowds... check out my blog for exclusive pix and story... http://eisengrimms.blogspot.com/2011/03/prof-crookshanks-traveling-medicine.html

This show was in doors on a stage...(the Caravan is still being completed) The Showman's Caravan will be properly unveiled in a couple of weeks

More stories and adventures coming soon!

Herr Doktor, THAT makes this blue marble we are on very small indeed!

And Transient Gallery, I look forward to seeing your progress on any of your projects... I like your style Wink

Prof. Crookshank
Prof. Croookshank's Traveling Medicine Show
Captain Shipton Bellinger
Zeppelin Overlord

Why the goggles..? In case of ADVENTURE!

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2011, 10:50:20 am »

Professor,
Simply splendid! What more can I say?

It is fast becoming one of my deep regrets that, alas, I shall almost certainly never see you or your Medicine Show live. Unless, of course, we can convince you to cross the Atlantic for a season..?

Capt. Shipton Bellinger R.A.M.E. (rtd)

Prof.Crookshank
Gunner
Canada Canada

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2011, 03:48:13 am »

Captain Shipton, I would love to bring my Shows and contraptions over the pond one day. It has been something I have wanted to do for mannnny years Smiley

Never say NEVER!

your fiend,
Prof. Crookshank
Prof.Crookshank
Gunner
Canada Canada

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2011, 04:54:17 am »

And now... we come to the 9th installment of the making of Canada's Last Showman's Caravan...

http://eisengrimms.blogspot.com/2011/04/building-showmans-caravan-part-9.html

Enjoy... we are very close to completion of this Mega Project and soon the Showman's Caravan will be properly unveiled.

your fiend,
Prof. Crookshank
Prof. Crookshank's Medicine Show
Prof.Crookshank
Gunner
Canada Canada

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2011, 12:33:48 am »

Well, here we are one step closer to finishing Canada's Last Showman's Caravan! This is the most revealing of ALL of my Blogs about the building of the Caravan. There is one more step and we are DONE! Check out the Blog and see how my vision has progressed over this past 5 months.
http://eisengrimms.blogspot.com/2011/04/building-showmans-caravan-part-10.html
and_solo_said
Snr. Officer

Maker of leather things

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2011, 12:00:24 am »

I would just like to say that I have enjoyed this build blog immensely and will almost be sad to see it completed. Also, congratulations on not only making it whimsical and interesting but also very very creepy. Charm is always more charming when it has teeth.
Professor Z
Snr. Officer

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2011, 01:48:53 am »

Wow! Wow! Wow! That sir is pretty amazing and enchanting. Thank you for sharing the build-up. I'd love to see some pics of you and it in action just as soon as you get your show going. And if it's not too personal...I looked through your history on your website. It's fun to see how you changed. But the you in 1985 looks very different from you in 1986. How do you explain?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: