The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 22, 2017, 12:23:06 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An unusual solution to fixing my pocketwatch  (Read 2749 times)
stardust
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

friend of polar bear

« on: February 24, 2011, 10:44:00 pm »

I had a very cheap pocket watch that I bought off ebay and it was beautiful. Mechanisms worked and everything, but being as cheap as it was, it eventually stopped working. It was given a full wind then stopped and I just assumed something has jammed.

I didn't take it apart because it was beautiful as it was and my friends two year old had taken a real shine to it, so it just stayed in his toybox.

Until he was plaing with it the other day, swinging it about on it's chain. He bashed it so hard on the floor that all the beads came off the front, the door flew open and the hinge disintergrated. But best of all, it started ticking again! So I put it back together and it has worked reliably ever since!

I was over the moon about this as it wasn't an expensive enough watch to be worth fixing, but I really missed it.

So there you have my method for fixing jammed watches.

*disclaimer for people who try this* Stardust accepts no responsibility. For anything. Ever.

and doesn't Mr. Kipling make exceedingly good cakes.......
Noxtradamus
Officer
Canada Canada

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 06:03:06 pm »

Pleased to see it worked! in my watchmaking class, we called this "Kinetic maintenance"  Tongue
Abslomrob
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 03:32:45 am »

Neat...probably a zero jewel pin lever or "dollar" watch.  I'm told the most reliable method of cleaning them is to soak them in solvent for a day or so, then tie a string to them and whip them around your head to dry them off.

All my vintages are at http://www.abslomrob.com
Gunner Gregson
Snr. Officer
England England

Hired Gun, Gunsmith

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 12:49:00 am »

thats awesome, glad its working again.
people look at me funny when asking "my TV/radio/toaster etc stopped working" and i reply with "bang it on the side"
sounds stupid but a tap will fix most things.

GG

Ananias S. Wildwire at your service, for a price of course.
Virginia Vixinoi
Gunner
United States United States

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 12:58:49 am »

I love that. However the tech team at work is not too keen on that method. And on several occasions have accused me of doing such to my cpu   Wink

Which I have only fantasized doing but never done. *batts her eyelashes*
Lady Ashgrove
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 11:19:40 pm »

and if all else fails

get a bigger hammer
CoyotesGirl
Deck Hand

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 12:42:26 am »

I have fixed more things by giving them "a good whack." In real life, I'm a school bus driver and the two things we use most to fix a bus gone awry are something called "Recycling" which is an elaborate set of steps that more often than not quiets any trouble under the hood long enough to complete our route and get back to the barn, and whacking which can be used to unstick a sticky dash gauge or stop sign or anything else that should move and isn't. Whacking is a terrific method.

I'm trying here. Bear with me.
"I will not mod before breakfast. I will not forgo food in preference of crafting. I will drink my coffee before I alter anything. I will take a break for lunch and I will come when my children call me."
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

Director of Preternatural Research, Arkam Museum

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 11:22:52 am »

thats awesome, glad its working again.
people look at me funny when asking "my TV/radio/toaster etc stopped working" and i reply with "bang it on the side"
sounds stupid but a tap will fix most things.

GG

Good lord yes. 'Giving it a good whack' is a tried and true method going back decades for fixing darn near anything (even jammed time rotors, according to a certain Time Lord) Wink

"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" ~Sherlock Holmes
Lady Chrystal
Master Tinkerer
Wales Wales

Lady Adventurer, Chronicler

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 11:40:17 am »

Back when I worked in Technical Support, we used to call it "Percussive Maintenance"...

"The Chrystal? Ah, now - that would be telling."
Kryss LaBryn
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

aka Lady Amelia Cottington

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 06:25:03 am »

I actually built up a pretty decent upper body (now since all lost, alas) from one job where the best method to unstick stuck slides was to give them a few good whacks with a six-foot iron pry bar. Sometimes they ran smoothly, but when it rained the damp would gum up the dust (very dusty environment) and the damned things would stick every time they moved.

It left lots of little dents all over them but it worked! And it is also a helluva work-out.  Grin

--The first time I wound up my newest windy pocket watch, the damned thing jammed. I had been extremely careful to not over-wind it so I'm not entirely sure what happened, but after a few days of poking at it (I too was extremely reluctant to open it up, the moreso because it was brand new and took about six months to complete its journey to me) I realized that if I held it by the edges and spun it back and forth around its central axis the fly wheel would move for a little bit (the gears show through a little window, luckily). So I kept doing that for a while under the assumption that somehow it did get over-wound and jammed, and sure enough, after some time of spinning it about whenever I had a hand free, it started ticking again! Thankfully. So that might be another alternative to getting one going again. Couldn't hurt, anyways.

But percussive maintenance definitely has its place!  Grin

"Be clean and courteous; raise your hat, And wipe your boots upon the mat: Such proofs of gentlemanly feeling Are to the ladies most appealing." The Professor's Manuscript - Dorothy L. Sayers
D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 06:41:24 am »

Forum member Mattock had an expensive watch that he was considering selling, but it did not work for whatever reason.  He handed it to me, hoping I could figure something out.  It suddenly began ticking....

So if slamming it doesn't work, simply hand it to me.  Unless it is electronic...all things electronic tend to fail when I touch them. 

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over." -Rhett Butler
evilv
Deck Hand

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2011, 12:35:40 pm »

Close investigation might reveal the presence of a speck of foreign matter in the watch originally written about in this thread, or possibly a hair. Some reports have been seen of hairs and even an eyelash being in the movements of these Chinese watches. They are phenomenally cheap for what they are. I've just posted on my experience of them in the master pocket watch thread. I bet the original poster could blow whatever it is out with a puff of air. Unless he does, it will likely jam up again in time.
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2011, 02:57:35 pm »

and if all else fails

get a bigger hammer

That's always works for me, and if it doesn't I always fall back on brute force and ignorance, and show it who's boss  Angry

But be warned it can have some unexpected side effects (I once burned out my desktop's cpu by repeatedly using this method to open a sticky disc drive, but it worked Smiley).

Also, I have been advised by my solicitor to issue the following disclaimer; Madasasteamfish accepts no responsibility for injuries sustained, or any damage done to property, loved ones, pets, or any other household objects whilst using his recommended method of repair of brute force and ignorance.

Edit; My solicitor says I should also add the following; Madasasteamfish, in no way endorses or recommends using brute force and ignorance as a repair method, regardless of how successful it is.

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: