The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 20, 2017, 10:53:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Please help me fix two pocket watches  (Read 1986 times)
Dowager Duchess
Swab

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Archaeologist extraordinaire

« on: February 20, 2011, 12:14:07 pm »

Hello my lovelies.

I have recently bought two amazingly beautiful pocket watches, but alas both have faults  Sad.  One is a battery ran one but it is slow, and the other is a gorgeous clockwork one, but it won't work.  I have looked online how to wind watches etc but to no avail  Cry.  It is a pin pocket watch (you pull out the thingy on top to set the time) and once the time is set it works for about 10 seconds but then stops.  I do not know if i need to turn the pin with it in or out (which moves the hands).  When i turned the pin with it pushed down it used to not to move, but now it does move but nothing happens.  I have tried anti-clockwise and clockwise but the watch remains silent.  I think I may have broken it but if anyone can offer any advise on how to fix it before i take a journey into town and pay for it to be done properly I would appreicate it.

The second pocket watch is battery run but slow.  This is annoying as I was hoping to use it as my main daily time piece and having a slow time piece does no one any good, especially as I am usually late anyway Undecided.

I cannot take them back to where I bought them to ask how to work them as I got them in Beijing on holiday.  It is such a brilliant place  Grin, except when my watches break  Angry.

Thank you very much - you are all wonderful.

The Dowager Duchess

P.S. Sorry about all the emoticons, or whatever thos elittle faces are called, b ut they just looked too much fun not to use  Wink.

Archaeologist extraordinaire.
Abslomrob
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 01:21:00 am »

Battery operated watches aren't usually fixable (at least, not cost-effectively).  You're usually better of just having the entire watch module replaced (they usually cost <$10).  The wind-up sounds like it's in need of service, but if it's (relatively) new, it's probably using a low-end Chinese mechanical movement, which often have QC issues.  Again, it's often cheaper to just replace the whole movement, as Chinese time-only movements go for less then $20.

All my vintages are at http://www.abslomrob.com
Dowager Duchess
Swab

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Archaeologist extraordinaire

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 09:42:18 pm »

Thanks Abslomrob.  My brilliantly amazing plan of saving money by getting watches cheaper abroad has failed spectacularly as I spend money to fix them  Angry.  Oh well, lesson learnt.  I'll go to the jewellers in town to see if they can fix them - they are good with watches.
Abslomrob
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 10:15:30 pm »

I remember my first trip to Hong Kong (about 20 years ago)...there were watch vendors on practically every corner, selling watches for prices ranging from 4 for 20hkd, to the deal I managed to hammer out, 12 watches for 20hkd).  That's about 5 US dollars.  Half of them didn't work correctly, but enough of them did that it was worth the investment. (heck, just the batteries alone was worth the money!) 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: