The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 19, 2017, 04:52:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do I remove a faceplate from a movement?  (Read 1266 times)
mudslag
Deck Hand
United States United States

« on: February 19, 2011, 01:13:15 am »

So I got some beautiful movements, super clean, with the faceplate on but I have no clue how to remove them without damaging them. I dont plan on removing all of them but the idea is to make some necklaces out of them and the way I was planning involved removing the faceplate. Other wise I have to find another way to connect a chain to them. Thanks

« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 01:15:14 am by mudslag » Logged
Noxtradamus
Officer
Canada Canada

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 08:07:30 pm »

May I ask for a bigger picture of the movements? (dial and movement side) They are indeed beautiful!

As for removing the dial, you will need to take the hands off fist. This can be done by prying them with a pair of levers like this:

It could also be done with small electronic or watchmaker screwdrivers if stuck in a pinch. You must be especially careful with the small second hand.

After this, there are usually two, but sometimes three screws located on the site of the movement that you will need to loosen in order to free the dial feet. It should then be easy to remove the dial. (be careful not to chip it after though, they seem to be in really good shape!)

This being said, I would advise against modifying the two on the left; they look like good quality movements that would benefit from a casing and a maintenance check-up. If you can give me the maker and the serial number of both, I could gather more precise information about them.

Thanks,

- Gabe
mudslag
Deck Hand

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 05:10:04 am »

Thank you, I managed to get the faceplate off one of the ones on the right. Going to leave the others on for now till I can look over all my options. As for the ones on the left I didnt see any similar type screws holding the plate in. I did manage to get the info for the two on the left to a degree. The top left is a Crown Movement 12 size 15 Jewel, serial FD010831. I think its an F, hard to tell, kind of looks like a symbol of some type. Not sure of the year on the Crown. The other is a Waltham Model 1882 1 size #3788356 from 1887.

I also got my hands on another Wiltham from 1912. This one has a metal case surrounding it that I can figure how to remove. Id like to turn it into a necklace but not sure how without taking the casing off.

Noxtradamus
Officer
Canada Canada

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 07:22:05 pm »

There is either a metal band around the movement covering the screws and it slips off, or the screws are on the mainplate, I can't really see.
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 02:21:51 am »

So,now how to get the hands back on correctly. Can one get away with some 'home-made' tools or anything laying around?

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
Ms Fisher
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 08:21:44 pm »

I recently took a face of a watch by levering it off with a slim flat headed screwdriver. It was stuck on with old glue rather than screwed at all, and printed on soft metal rather than being enamle
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 01:15:46 pm by Ms Fisher » Logged
Veritas
Deck Hand

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 06:57:55 am »

There is either a metal band around the movement covering the screws and it slips off,

There does appear to be a casing ring.  It should just slip off, though you may have to (carefully) pry it off as they do get stuck on there sometimes.  After you get the ring off you'll be able to see the dial screws.   

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: