The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 17, 2017, 07:59:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New watch - Would like some info.  (Read 1987 times)
DrArclight
Zeppelin Captain

« on: February 12, 2011, 11:15:14 pm »

Ok, so I just won this ebay auction and was wondering if anyone knows anything about the watchmaker James Rogers in Locle or when this watch might have been made.

I'm just happy to have found a watch with a dragon on it, but any other information I can turn up would be great.
Abslomrob
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 03:37:20 am »

Well, it's a pin-set, stem-wound cylinder watch, probably from the late 1800's or early 1900's.  Unfortunately, if the balance doesn't swing, you're probably looking at several hundred dollars (at the least) to repair it (depending, of course, on where you live and how much your local watchmaker likes you).  The case is extremely interesting; because it's pin set, it's unlikely to be totally fake, and the detailing on the front bezel matches the dragon theme.  I'd suggest it was designed for sale in the orient.  That said, it wouldn't have been an especially high grade watch for that time; I can't tell from the pictures how many of the pivots are jeweled, but it looks like its just the balance?  32mm would have been a very small watch; normally for ladies, but I'm not sure what the fashion would have been in Asia at the time.

All my vintages are at http://www.abslomrob.com
DrArclight
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 10:08:02 pm »

The watch is indeed quite small.  The dragon is a European style dragon rather than an asian dragon though.

The watch says 21 jewels on the movement.  The balance wheel will move, but it is not in place.  Either it has slipped out of it's pivot or the balance staff is broken.  I have not been able to remove the movement from the case as yet because the stem will not come out, even after loosening the retaining screw.
Abslomrob
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 03:30:16 am »

Huh?  Are we still talking about the watch from the auction you linked to?  'cause I don't see "21 jewels" anywhere, and since it's a cylinder movement, I can't imagine how you'd even get to 21 jewels.  Granted that the pictures in the auction aren't that great, but from what I'm seeing there's no more then 10 jewels possible in that.
rogue_designer
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

clockwork gypsy

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 05:21:55 pm »

There was a rather famous James Rodgers Jr. Who built a regulator clock in NYC in the 1870s. If it is really one of his, it may well be worth restoring. His clocks and watches are not very common.

http://jamesrodgersclocks.com/Biography.htm
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 06:11:48 pm by rogue_designer » Logged

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
(Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes. But deserve a nice glass of absinthe. I have some Montemarte in the cabinet, if you wish.)
Major Willoughby Chase
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 05:28:40 pm »

I'd be surprised in James Rogers misspelled his own name on the watch.  Also as far as I'm aware James Rodgers worked solely in America and not in Switzerland.
rogue_designer
Zeppelin Admiral

clockwork gypsy

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 06:12:35 pm »

Oh - good point. I missed the two spellings. That does change things rather.
DrArclight
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 03:49:57 am »

Definitely not the same James Rogers.

I don't know where I got the 21 Jewel thing.  I must have been thinking about another watch.

The balance wheel is jeweled, and the third and fourth wheels both appear to be jeweled, at least from the back side.

I still have not been able to remove the stem and remove the movement from the case.  The balance wheel tilts side to side like the staff is either broken or out of place and when winding the watch you can feel the spring tightening then suddenly unspooling on it's own like it's broken loose somehow.
DrArclight
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 04:31:58 am »

Finally got the stem to release and got the movement out of the case.  The balance staff is indeed broken, and there are problems with the winding mechanism, however I mainly purchased this watch for the interesting case anyway.

The movement is 28.27mm in diameter and 4.5mm thick.  Am I correct that this is probably either a 3/0 or 4/0 movement?
Abslomrob
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 07:31:11 pm »

3/0 and 4/0 are "American" measurments; the Swiss use the french "Ligne" to measure watch movements.  A ligne is 1/12 of a french inch (literally a "line" on a ruler). This would be about 12.5''' (three apostrophes are the sign for ligne).

This site is my go-to reference for watch sizes: http://elginwatches.org/help/watch_sizes.html
allacenj
Swab

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2011, 04:51:41 am »

Hi I am very interested as I am a direct descendant of James Rodgers and we are trying to find out about his work- he came from Aberdeen Scotland around 1822- is this one of his watches? Thanks
Allacen
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: