The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 24, 2017, 08:34:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 29   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: He Who Lives By The Sword...  (Read 44393 times)
Augustus Longeye
Daedric Prince of Biscuits
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2011, 12:06:43 pm »

"This man?" Longeye said, following the hunter and sprawling across a chair opposite him. "No idea to be honest. He wandered in, something... changed, and he had that through the middle of his chest. As you can guess he wasn't' to happy about it. There was defiantly magic involved, but you yourself could probably verify that there are no mages nearby who could do anything like that."
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 01:54:40 am by Augustus Longeye » Logged

Quote from: Sir Nikolas
I say you, chaps down there! Piss off, see? Haa ha! Love, Space Longeye <3
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2011, 04:10:50 pm »

"It's not always a mage," Yarrow answered. "Or at least, not the legal sort. I've met and dealt with more than a few vampires and one or two 'gifted amateurs' who might pull this sort of thing off." He lifted and turned ove rthe corpse with a little duifficulty; levitation was hardly his strong suit. Fire could do it, of course, but it would have singed the body pretty badly.

"There's even a couple of things that a few of the othe6r Houses are working on that could do something like this from a distance, or so I'm told," he added, as he took an ornate frame on a handle from within his coat. He spoke a few lethal-sounding words, and flameless heat, visible only because of the light-bending distortion within the frame, formed a heatshimmer magnifying lens. A child's cantrip, really, but useful nonetheless, at least until it ran out, and he was forced to switch to the crystalline lens in his other pocket.

"I came in here because I sensed the event that you described; it seemed more immediate than a long-distance event." He looked rather fixedly at Longeye, then, and added, "You seemed rather oddly expert just now, my friend. What did you say your name was, Sir...?"

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Augustus Longeye
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2011, 05:05:59 pm »

"Sir nothing, Captain Augustus Longeye... I may be somewhat of an expert, I've encountered a lot of magic and a lot of variety in my years... and I've always been able to sense the presence of magic and a feel of a person's talent. This was defiantly magic of some kind, but it was... odd magic... I don't know why, but it wasn't like yours... Not controlled." Longeye explained, halting as he reached the end, glancing occasionally at the corpse.
"What do you get from the scene?"
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2011, 06:21:34 pm »

"Hah. Well, storms like this used to be called 'Wizard's Weather,' for good reason. Either a wizard caused it, or more likely, nature reacting with excess ambient leftover thaumic energy caused it. the end result is still that there's a lot of potential bouncing around tomnuight, more than ample for a talented amateur to do something only a more powerful trained adept cuold hope for under normal circumstances. I think the perpetrator has long vanished, unfortunately. I think, however, that he or she could be identified by the gun, or perhaps crossbow, that they used to launch this stake..."
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 12:21:16 am by MWBailey » Logged
B.Greco
Officer

Analytical and Difference Engine Enthusiast

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2011, 06:23:15 pm »

He hangs his monkey wrench back on his back and watches the interaction between the two.

The hand is healed, but the neat little bump that moves when I use my index finger remains.

Please visit http://www.abstrata.webs.com to check out my steam/fantasy tabletop rpg.

"Cogito ergo sum" - Descartes
"Carpe diem" - Horace
"Meus tergum vulnero" - Bryon Greco
Augustus Longeye
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2011, 11:34:12 pm »

"This stake is gigantic!" Longeye protested, "It would take a arbalest to to fire that anywhere! Though I'm not discounting that entirely... there's no singing around the base, so I'd discount any projectile spells that use explosions... but it seems to be a fragment of something else, like a pillar? Support of some kind? Whatever it is, it's been specially cut, look at the straight lines."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2011, 12:31:38 am »

Yes, it is definitely not originally intended as a projectile, that much is obvious, but it does bear signs of adaptation -- and I misspoke. Not an engine, necessarily, although I do like the neatness of the arbalest theory. No, I think it is more likely to be an implement. See this indentation on the blunt end? There are scratches there if one looks closely, and the length is very slightly curved."  he moved aside so that Longeye could see whathe was talking about. "That kind of curve would not, I think, be natural; it is as if the grain has been bent.

"This may prove to have been thrown from a javelin-thrower, and have looped around in midair before it struck its target. I've seen native hunters use such a device, though granted, not one whose projectiles scribe loops in midair or that are obviously made from a building timber."
Augustus Longeye
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2011, 12:35:19 am »

"So could it have been naturally thrown, and then... influenced?" Longeye mused...
B.Greco
Officer

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2011, 01:26:55 am »

"Seems to me that whatever happened, they wanted this man dead. I propose that we investigate his person further, which may lead us to the killer."
Augustus Longeye
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2011, 01:30:23 am »

There was a pause from both men. "Not to be rude, but who are you?"
B.Greco
Officer

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2011, 01:42:34 am »

"So sorry. I tend to be a little forgetful. My name is Bryon Greco, Bryon M. Greco to be specific. Purveyor of less than fine food and drink, freelance emergency mechanic and repairman, and skilled alchemist if I may say so. I was just enjoying some of this establishments finer rums when this man suddenly had a great big splinter through him... After seeing you run upstairs, I got it into my head to follow, as you seemed the only one who had his head on straight. And the names Bryon Greco, Bryon M. Greco to be specific."
Augustus Longeye
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2011, 01:48:58 am »

"Wait you just sa- never mind. An alchemist hey... I know one once... Crashed my ship into his island and the sod rebuilt the entire thing, island and ship, with nothing but a circle and some chanting. You do that stuff? If so I'll welcome you on helping us out... thaat is assuming I can count on the skills of this gentleman here?" He tilted his head to one side at Yarrow.
B.Greco
Officer

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2011, 01:54:02 am »

"Oh yeah sure. It's not like I have anything else to do the next week."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2011, 02:30:42 am »

"Such is part of my duty," Yarrow said, "as a Hunter for the Empire."  He continued, "This case may or may not fall under the jurisdiction of the Great Houses, but if it does, then I am bound by oath and honor to follow it to its conclusion, and mete justice when the time comes. Shall we?"
Augustus Longeye
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2011, 02:45:20 am »

"Indeed, I am with you and I shall provide all the help I can... nobody deserves a death like that. If you want, I can get my Crew to try and do some listening at street level?" Longeye suggested.
Man of Steam
Snr. Officer

« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2011, 03:28:30 am »

James still had his hand on his dagger, after what had just occurred. He was surpised, but not shocked, in a span of minutes, he had seen a man impaled by a wooden spear, and now a fire mage, and a very skilled, and very dangerous one, by the looks of things.
"This should be interesting" he said to the other men at the table, as he leaned back in his chair to take a drink.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 01:10:46 pm by Man of Steam » Logged
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2011, 04:40:50 am »

"Mmm.." Yarrow grunted. " That would be well, I think, but don't let them get too close if they find something. I have it in my mind that this person may be something more than just a savage native shaman or practitioner; he may even be an Air adept, or a translocator." Yarrow paused, then added, " 'He' could very well be 'she,' as well."
B.Greco
Officer

« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2011, 04:43:45 am »

"Anything you'd like me to do? 'Cause I'd really like to get down there and get a sample of the wood before they haul it away."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2011, 04:54:28 am »

"by all means, sample away." Yarrow pulled a small mirror-polished coin from the shot pouch on his belt, and added. if you could, thougfh, I'd appreciate it if you couild lend a bit of impetus to a flying fire-golem spell; a slight touch of Will is all it requires."he breathed on the coin, and flipped it into the air; it hung there for a moment, spinning faster and faster, picking up  motes of dust and sparks from the fire and teh candles on teh surrounding tables, and then a small dust-devil of flame appeared, hovering just above the floor. "It awaits your will," Yarrow said, "and then it will do a more thorough search of the premises..."
Man of Steam
Snr. Officer

« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2011, 05:47:21 am »

"Watch this." muttered James to one of them men sitting next to him. He raised his hand, and gestured at the golem that had just been summoned.  Another golem immediately appeared beside it, a perfect copy of the original, except  that it you looked at it carefully, you could see through it. Alex gestured with his hand, and the illusion began to move towards the table.
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2011, 05:58:59 am »

He decided he'd leave the lady alone now that the other man had backed away. He didn't want to suddenly be in the same situation as him.
"I'll be on my way..."
He continued on until he a nondescript pub which he entered. He had a fairly basic meal and sat while he observed the pub. It was different to Holland and Germany in many ways but the familiarity of the communal location calmed him.

I think I should also mention I had a dream about this game, only Bailey was a woman...

I assure you, that incident in Singapore was all a misunderstanding.
B.Greco
Officer

« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2011, 06:16:58 am »

-makes a big show of concentrating on the summoning- "There you are sir, ready to go." -he walks over to the large gruesome stake and begins chipping away at it, storing the small chunks in various tubes and compartments-
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2011, 06:57:05 am »

when the whirlwind had coalesced into the form of a small juvenile fire-drake, another had oalesced out of a more-ethereal whirlwind that had suddenly appeared at the gesture of one of teh men at a nearby table. At first, Yarrow reached for his pistol; he knew all of the legal fire-mages in the city and most of the realm, having recruited and tested all of them himself (it was not a common ability, and got noticed almost immediately because of the integral place of fire in human society).

But then, he noticed teh near-transparent quality of teh second firedrake golem, and he relaxed, his hand still hovering around his right side just in case. "That is a singularly good illusion, sir, Yarrow said to the fellow. Who are you, and what is your 'stake' in this business, if you  will pardon the term?"
Augustus Longeye
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2011, 12:36:03 pm »

"A good point... I've never seen an illusion so fast, you have a great deal of skill there sir." Longeye said, waving his hand gently through it, though careful to avoid the real one.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2011, 03:12:08 pm »

"Find...that which...is...hidden...," Yarrow wrote upon a narrow strip of parchment. Yarrow fed it to the first firedrake golem, upon which it went flying about the room. The little simulacrum of a miniature dragon at first appeared to be moving at random, it's illusory doppelganger following,  until it became obvious that it was following a grid pattern, searching for whatever was hidden to the others.

It described several searching patterns, but always seemed to converge in one spot or another; whatever or whoever was being concealed, it was moving around the room; if statistical evidence were to be taken into account, the young, womanly shape huddled in a cloak of some sort (Whom Yarrow still couldn't really see. It must be a very well-conceived 'lookaway' mindtrick, indeed, Yarrow thought to himself.) Then, the little drake settled on the womanly, cloaked shoulder of the skulker, for all the world like a faithful parrot perching on it's loving master's command. It let out three whistling shrieks, indicating that it had found it's quarry.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 29   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: