The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 16, 2017, 04:44:40 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: He Who Lives By The Sword...[OOC]  (Read 15034 times)
Augustus Longeye
Daedric Prince of Biscuits
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: February 09, 2011, 01:44:09 am »

Right, first things first is characters! So... yeah... You don't have to use my template, but the information I put down is somewhat necessary, so try to include it all (but feel free to add more/go into depth).

Name: Augustus Longeye
Current/most recent occupation: Airship Captain; The Shadow Moth
Social Class: Middle
Magic: heightened state of living, faster reactions, keener senses, stronger, actually faster, basically not very magical on his own, but does everything a human does; better.
Skills: Airship Piloting, Sword-fighting, Weather reading, Map/chart reading, navigation etc.
Disadvantages: Missing his left eye and portions of left leg (giving slight limp and limiting running)

If you do go for having magic, please put down what sort, otherwise it'll make the story a bit tricky if I plan a challenge and someone just nukes their way through it Tongue
~Longeye~

EDIT
We now have a website at http://sword.dorksanddorkettes.com that contains an introduction to the world, a more detailed set of character sheets and a summery of the story so far, as well as a few other bits and pieces. Before asking what's happened in the story please check here, if you still don't get it afterwards PM me.
Thanks,
~Longeye~
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 12:14:06 pm by Augustus Longeye » Logged

Quote from: Sir Nikolas
I say you, chaps down there! Piss off, see? Haa ha! Love, Space Longeye <3
B.Greco
Officer
United States United States

Analytical and Difference Engine Enthusiast

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 02:20:44 am »

Name: Bryon Greco
Current/most recent occupation: Tinkerer/machinist, Repairman for hire (freelance)
Social Class: Lower middle
Magic: Alchemy, especially pertaining to metals and woods
Skills: hand to hand combat, sharp shooting, mechanic
Disadvantages: Short term memory loss sustained from a childhood experiment.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 02:22:57 am by B.Greco » Logged

The hand is healed, but the neat little bump that moves when I use my index finger remains.

Please visit http://www.abstrata.webs.com to check out my steam/fantasy tabletop rpg.

"Cogito ergo sum" - Descartes
"Carpe diem" - Horace
"Meus tergum vulnero" - Bryon Greco
Augustus Longeye
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 03:29:17 am »

I've just noticed something... my first post was a little vague, and I meant to add that you can jump in any time and anywhere... Longeye will be one of the patrons of said bar, so you could be there if you want, but we will all meet up eventually anyway. You can start off anywhere and do anything as well, but try to start with the knowledge of these deaths on the morning after it's happened (or that night if you wish).
That's all for now, Mr. Greco your character is looking interesting Cheesy
~Longeye~
B.Greco
Officer

Analytical and Difference Engine Enthusiast

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 04:20:24 am »

That's all for now, Mr. Greco your character is looking interesting Cheesy
~Longeye~

Well hes 1 part me, two parts my character from my own game, and 3 parts talented dashing hero.
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 04:52:40 am »

Name: Ethan 'Ace' Forsythe
Most Recent Occupation: Dutch bloodsport competitor.
Social Class: Lower
Magic: Air
Skills: Agility, quick thinking and other combat-related nimble features.
Disadvantages: Often quite ineffective in solo combat due to being part of a team bloodsport circuit.

I think I should also mention I had a dream about this game, only Bailey was a woman...

I assure you, that incident in Singapore was all a misunderstanding.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 06:10:00 am »

Name: Ennis Yarrow
Current/most recent occupation: Fire Wizard
Social Class: Lower Aristocracy
Magic: Fire (includes lightning/electricity, and thus some weak predilection to Air)
Skills: Swordsmanship, staffwielding, Ironcraft (compass influence), Scholarly pursuits, War magery. Also very resourceful in dealing with sudden changes, due to his peculiar disadvantage.
Disadvantages: Magickal Injury; face is never the same, and form is often changeable as well (both with little or no warning), due to a Transfiguration Curse-blast received in early adulthood during a Wizardly duel. This does not affect his fire magery, save to make him more angry than is sometimes safe. Rage often causes him to unleash much more power (i.e., a firestorm) than is necessary. Eerily-glowing blue eyes suggest his identity no matter what form he takes/is forced to take, which is both an advantage and a disadvantage...

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Clockwork1328
Deck Hand

To Adventure

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 12:04:38 pm »

Name:Matt Cruse
Skills: Alchemy, Fencing, Eavesdropping, Map reading/navagating
Magical Skill: Alchemy(a small amount), a lightning magic

Mechanus Clockwork
jack of tears
Deck Hand

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 01:16:10 pm »

So, can just anyone get in on this?  And if so, is there a rules convention you're using?  Information one should know about the type of adventure you'll be running/specialized info about the setting you've chosen?
Augustus Longeye
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 04:32:29 pm »

Welcome aboard everyone! Characters are looking good!
Certainly Clockwork, fancy a position as a first mate?

Mr. Tears, of course you can join whenever you want, there are rules but they are generally flexible if it aids the narrative. I'll answer the rest of your questions and that in a little more detail.
The setting is an alternate London, circa 1850's. The city reached the peak of steam powered technology, aided by magic, when a lull formed. Technology rarely advances (due to it already infringing on the magic the aristocracy quite like using to strengthen themselves) as people vanish if they try too hard.
As it is, technology encompasses all of the steampunk gadgetry you see on the forum; airships, guns (thought not lasers), winged backpacks... I could go on  but in reality if you WANT a gadget and I think that it is possible to have (with a  little handwavium) then all you need to to is get one in game (but it or get one of our resident alchemists to make it!).
The adventure has been started, and the basic plot has been given but there will  be room for people to follow up on their own adventures, get sidetracked and basically take the whole of London by storm. The main purpose is that London is unchanging and stagnant; so you're going to mess it all up!
Rules are as follows (core ones generally can't be changed but unless circumstances permit); it must obey the laws of physics. If you fall from an airship onto a spike; you WILL die, if you light a fire and you get too close you WILL get burnt. Basic things, but unless you have something to protect you (magic, wings etc.) your character will behave as a normal human.
As for combat, in reality I want this to be interesting not dice rolling, so if you can describe an intricate strategy or a clever technique you will succeed, easy as that.
Magic is a little more complex but I'm going to mostly leave it up to you guys to limit yourselves (after all, I think we're mature enough Tongue). Basically magic isn't just something you pull out of a hat, you have to prepare it first. There are ways of preparing it and storing a set spell for later, but once you use it you have to prepare t again (thing the D&D wizard if you will). Spells can be prepared on the fly, but they take time... the bigger the spell, the more time, the more people helping the less time. Again what you can DO with the magic is variable, but if you're power is wind magic then you can't make fire... doesn't work that way. However if your power is wind you could (for example) lift up some earth or put out fire, as you could move the air under the rock to lift it, or starve the flame. If you can justify it, you can do it.
I think those are the important ones but if you have a more specific question I'll answer it as soon as I can!
~Longeye~
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 08:17:40 pm »

Are you pointing the sword at me? I had written myself to be in a completely different building...
Augustus Longeye
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 08:44:53 pm »

Not necessarily... I'm just pointing a sword at a generic mage, I wasn't sure if it was you or not Tongue
~Longeye~
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 08:48:59 pm »

Ahhh ok
My character isn't a Mage as such but has some latent ability and learned how to control it somewhat through teachings from Garrick and some bloodsport teammates...
Rosalia
Gunner

Professional Opheliac

MorbidVintage
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 09:30:44 pm »

Name: Norah Seymour
Current/most recent occupation: Governess,
Social Class: Middle
Magic: Persuasion (zomfg Jedi mind tricks)
Skills: fluent in French, Italian, Spanish, English, and Russian. Good at changing appearance.
Disadvantages: Stubborn, clumsy.

"I AM THE CONFUSED MALE ALIEN IN THIS RELATIONSHIP!"
Augustus Longeye
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 09:40:32 pm »

o.O Mind tricks! That's a good one! Nice to have you aboard!
~Longeye~
Rosalia
Gunner

Professional Opheliac

MorbidVintage
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2011, 09:56:20 pm »

Don't know what good I'll do but glad to be aboard
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2011, 11:19:30 pm »

Pardon the gigantic post; we're having rolling blackouts here, and I was afraid I might not be able to post for long periods, so I made it perhaps a bit too long. I'll keep it under four paragraphs in futere. I hope...
Augustus Longeye
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2011, 11:37:25 pm »

Hells, bigger the better Tongue
Mr. Bailey, would this tavern be the one that Longeye and co. are at (whoever else joins me and Greco) or at the inn Corsair and co. are at (whoever joins him! Cheesy)?
~Longeye~
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2011, 11:51:40 pm »

The one you're at, I would think. Is that a problem?
Augustus Longeye
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2011, 11:59:25 pm »

No, just checking so I can reply appropriately by chasing YOU down and holding a sword to your neck Wink
Right, so we have a few players on the board, let's see what happens.
~Longeye~
Man of Steam
Snr. Officer

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2011, 01:32:35 am »

Is it too late to join?
Vancouver Air Privateer
Zeppelin Admiral

Privateering off HMAS Landeythan

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2011, 03:12:07 am »

Would it be okay to join?

"Blessed be Science and her handmaiden Steam;
They make Utopia only half a dream."

"So he pulls an alternating-current taser on me and tells me that only the Official Serbian Church of Tesla can save my polyphase intrinsic electric field, known to non-engineers as 'the soul.' "
jack of tears
Deck Hand

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2011, 03:12:18 am »

Name: Janis Demsey (current alias: Abrahm Wright)
Social Class: currently, lower-none
Magic: Mind reading (typically only empathic, though the more pain a person is in, the deeper he can probe and clearer the information he gleans)
Skills: Silent and hidden movement, trailing/stalking, torture/interrogation, anatomy, criminal underground
Disadvantages: Sadistic, addicted to causing others emotional or physical pain.  Was once a member of Special Branch, specialized in "interrogating" criminals for information, until one such criminal turned out to be hiding secrets too much for his mind to handle and they drove him insane.  Tormented by the visions trapped in his head, he went on a temporary killing spree, torturing and mutilating his victims to bath in the ecstasy of their suffering.  Eventually he was caught and moved to Bethlem (bedlam) where he spent a handful of years at the mercy of the "good doctors", until he managed to escape.  Unexpectedly the agonies and depredations he was subjected to in the asylum allowed him to come to terms with his maddness and bring it under a level of control.  He is still a sadist and a murderer, but since his escape he has also become something of an information broker - using his abilities to acquire knowledge about London's underworld and sell it to the highest bidders.
jack of tears
Deck Hand

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2011, 03:53:26 am »

Rosalia, you misread that - the blade isn't in his hand, it's still in his pocket ... he is simply walking up behind her in the crowd, hasn't make a move to do anything to her.

Oh, and careful how you describe my character as "now much older than her" (seeing as I don't know her age), since I haven't had a chance to describe his age yet. (noting his actually looks to be in his mid-late twenties, so probably close to the same age)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 03:58:24 am by jack of tears » Logged
Rosalia
Gunner

Professional Opheliac

MorbidVintage
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2011, 04:08:36 am »

Rosalia, you misread that - the blade isn't in his hand, it's still in his pocket ... he is simply walking up behind her in the crowd, hasn't make a move to do anything to her.

Oh, and careful how you describe my character as "now much older than her" (seeing as I don't know her age), since I haven't had a chance to describe his age yet. (noting his actually looks to be in his mid-late twenties, so probably close to the same age)

Ignore that then.

I didn't describe him as much older. I thought I said the same age. I may have to check that again. In my defense, I was, at that time, being harassed and convincing someone to get a restraining order.
Rosalia
Gunner

Professional Opheliac

MorbidVintage
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2011, 04:11:14 am »

I said not too far from her age. I think you just misread it. I fixed the thing about the blade though.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: