The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 13, 2017, 12:17:51 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 110   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Are You Reading?  (Read 147869 times)
NoraBray
Officer
Australia Australia

Turtles are steampunk friendly

« on: August 02, 2007, 05:48:05 am »

I don't know about anyone else... but im a libraryaholic.. this is what I have out currently... This doesn't include books I have and refer to often.. or websites.. just library stuff Smiley or new /borrowed stuff Smiley
(amount of times read/borrowed are marked by *, without that they are first time Smiley)

**20,000 leagues under the sea. / Verne, Jules, 1828-1905.
 Perfect fit : personal pattern drafting / by Joan D. Hutchison and Gloria J. Dub / Hutchison, Joan D.
 *** THE ART OF MANIPULATING FABRIC / WOLFF, COLLETTE   (
 Victorian house style : an architectural and interior design source book / Linda / Osband, Linda.
 Great inventions that shaped the world : all about the amazing scientific discov /    
 Mary Shelley's Frankenstein : the classic tale of terror reborn on film / Kennet / Branagh, Kenneth.  
 **NON-ADHESIVE BOOKBINDING : BOOKS WITHOUT PASTE OF GLUE : VOL 1 / SMITH, KEITH  
Steam at sea : two centuries of steam-powered ships / Denis Griffiths. / GRIFFITHS, DENIS  
 TWENTIETH CENTURY PATTERN DESIGN / JACKSON, LESLEY
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 05:59:49 am by NoraBray » Logged

Turtles are neat..
Lizbt Action
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Noble-born Wire Pirate

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 05:55:59 am »

I'm currently reading the English translation of Sergei Lukyanenko's The Day Watch (Volume Two of The Night Watch Trilogy). I liked the first one a bit better, but I'm only a third through so far.

- Lizbt
Daemon
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 05:57:21 am »

Your post.  Tongue
Jake of All Trades
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Brass addict, inventor, and scoundrel with a heart

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 06:41:06 am »

I just finished the VERY Steampunk Larklight, by Philip Reeve.  I have to say it was one of the best books I've ever read!  Not life-changing or anything, but more clever and fun than you can imagine.  The sequel comes out in a few months, and I can't wait!

"...it's a form of fiction, and as such, while there may be times when it's considered a worthy vehicle for pointing out some of society and individual flaws - I still want a side that will let there be lighthearted adventures in the clouds, on mars, or under the sea."
--Tinkergirl
Hex
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 07:13:14 am »

I'm about half way through "The Difference Engine" atm.
Next I'll probably go for James McGee's "Resurectionist"

"I am opposed to the laying down of rules or conditions to be observed in the construction of bridges. Lest the progress of improvement tomorrow, might be embarrassed or shackled by recording or registering as law, the prejudices or errors of today."
~Isambard Kingdom Brunel~
Alderman Simeon
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

of Darlington, England

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 08:42:12 am »

Northern Lights (aka The Golden Compass). Next up is HDM part 2, then part 3.

Contents under pressure.
Leyden jars not included.
May contain nuts and bolts.
TheRedMax
Gunner

Chief Warrant Officer Phineas Parsons

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 01:50:11 pm »

I'm currently reading Mark Gatiss' "The Vesuvius Club"

Which I wholeheartedly recommend to any one!

Also looking forward to reading the sequel afterwards...

"The trouble with these international affairs is they attract foreigners." (Member #77 and fiercely proud of it!)
Johannes Ghee
Snr. Officer
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Reluctant slave to the bean.

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 03:16:30 pm »

A while ago I finished "Skybreaker" by Kenneth Polis.

Read "Toast" by Charles Stross after that... a great collection of sci-fi short stories (the jargon used made me feel old, and I'm twenty!!!), the best one was 'A Colder War', set in the eighties and concerning a secret Shoggoth-weaponry arms race.

Last night I finished "The Time Ships" by Stephen Baxter, the authorised sequel to "The Time Traveller".

Currently a little way into "Edison's Conquest of Mars" by G P Serviss - its intersting, but... SUCH an obvious Pro-Democracy, Anti-Imperialism/Royalty undercurrent. One of the illustration captions says something like "Mr. Edison Saves The Universe" (I'll edit it when I find the right page).

I had intended to take a break from reading this week, as I was getting bogged down half-way through "The Night Lands" by William Hope Hodgson. Its a very interesting early science fiction, but the author, living in the eighteen-hundreds, chose to write a story about the Last Redoubt of Humanity in the style of a writer from the seventeen-hundreds... theres a finite amount of commas I can take before I have to lie down. But then the above books came in for me at work and... argh my head.

Oh, also: I dont know if anyone else does this, but I have a book that I dip into from time to time and will probably continue to re-read till the end of my days. Its "Collected Non-Fictions", by Jorge Luis Borges.

"Don't forget to use a reasonable amount of caution should your hobby be one that is dangerous. Your wife doesnt want you to be 'funky' but she has a right to expect you not to take undue risk in your auto car, bicycle or flying machine."
'Dont's' For Husbands 1913.
"Menace him, you idiot!"
Drake White
Zeppelin Admiral

Airship privateer & clockwork technologist.

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2007, 05:18:00 pm »

About 3/4's through reading

which is a great great book.

And a little way in to

but that's rather slow going.
Major Francis Cleverly
Snr. Officer

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2007, 06:12:23 pm »

About 3/4's through reading

which is a great great book.

I have this one!  It's very well done, and done in a style that is completely (mostly) believable.

I'm reading Frank Herbert's Dune at this time.

Nothing.
Outa_Spaceman
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2007, 07:00:02 pm »

Unspeakable Desolation Pouring Down From The Stars by Frank Key...
http://www.hootingyard.org/?p=195

(and not just because it's dedicated to me.)
Vienna Fahrmann
Zeppelin Admiral
Austria Austria

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2007, 08:44:31 pm »

Dear NoraBray,

The Manipulating Fabric book is a good one.  I need to try out more of it's techniques sometime.

As for what I'm "reading" right now...I use a lot of audiobooks (I can listen while doing other things), but my current selections have been:

Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer about the 1996 Everest disaster

Undaunted Courage by Stephen Ambrose about the US Lewis & Clark Expedition in 1804-6

Caroline Alexanders & Alfred Lansings books on Shackletons Endurance Expedition 1914-16

Team of Rivals-a book about Abraham Lincoln & his Cabinet members

Classic Ngaio Marsh crime fiction novels

& right now...The Six Wives of Henry VIII by David Starkey

My reading interests tend to be non-fiction & crime fiction, as you can probably tell by the above list.

Vienna
DSK
Gunner

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2007, 09:46:01 pm »

Right now I am in the middle of The Angel of Darkness by Caleb Carr. Very interesting book, I say. Set in late 19th century NYC, it's about a child abduction case that leads to the discovery of a nurse who is quite possibly kidnapping and murdering children...

And sometime soon I need to read Stardust! I always prefer to read the novel before seeing the movie that's based on it.

Unattended Children Will Be Given Expresso and A Free Kitten.
La Bricoleuse
Snr. Officer

Sartorial Engineer

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2007, 10:40:47 pm »

I concur with Ms. Fahrmann, that Colette Wolff book is excellent.

I'm reading Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry for fiction, and in nonfiction, i'm reading diaries of women homesteaders on the Oregon wagon trains.
NoraBray
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2007, 12:36:44 am »

Yah, I tend to get audio books for stories, I have the collected works of HP lovecraft, Bram stokers dracula,  Micheal Moorcock - Elric of Melnibone, 1984 george orwell and the diary of anne frank, War of the worlds (jeff wayne version)...  Which will change to other things in a few more days, I recently listened to the first four HP books and am waiting on the next one to come in. As alot of my course work is reading/making I am always reading something related or even unrelated but for the stories most of them I will sourse an ebook for as I sit there listening to them while I am making various things.. As for the Art of Manipulating Fabric, it is on my must buy list  her work and books are just the greatest and she is one of the artists I have researched for my course.. plus its so much fun to make things.. she gives you the basics for creating things without going over board in materials.. Cheesy 
Ashflex
Snr. Officer

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2007, 12:58:59 am »

Im also a libraryaholic, Ive recently finished "Pattern Recognition" by William Gibson, which I fully enjoyed, and Ive just started "Cell" by Stephen King.
Im also currently reading "What the Victorians Did for Us"  by Adam Hart-Davis, and a book about model making, I forget the name of it right now though.
Kabuki
Snr. Officer

My physician claims there is something wrong...

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2007, 01:04:57 am »

I'm reading Frank Herbert's Dune at this time.

I'm reading "The Machine Crusade" the second book in the trilogy of prequels to the other trilogy of prequels to the Dune series, written by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson.  Very Terminator/Matrix like, not steamy at all.  Too bad, because I must imagine all of the robots as steam driven automata.

The only thing more important that squashing one's foe, is doing so with style and panache... - Jake of All Trades

Join the fun here: http://www.b
Hikaro Takayama
Zeppelin Admiral

In Pennsilfaanish Deitschland

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2007, 01:18:20 am »

Currently, I'm re-reading Eric Flint & Andrew Dennis' 1635: The Cannon Law.  It is one of the most recent books to be released in Eric Flint's 1632 series (one of the things that makes this series unique is that all of the sequels have been collaborations, and 4 volumes of canonized fan-fiction have also been published as well). 

This series could be considered Sci-fi/Steampunk.... The basic storyline is that a small town in West Virginia called Grantville (not a real town, but it is based on one) and about a 3-mile radius of surrounding land, was transported through time and space (due to a wierd temporal accident) to the middle of Thuringia, Germany in the year 1631, and follows the struggles the Americans (and some new-found friends) go through in theri attempt to survive and re-build their tech base as they simultaneously try to spread democracy and fight against the ignorance and tyrrany of 17th century Europe.  Every book has been chock-full of action, romance, humor and Machivallian intrigue.  I definitely reccomend this series to everyone.  Even better, if you have some talent as a writer, you can go to Baen books' website and join in on the 1632 project, and who knows?  You might even get published.

I'm also reading Linux for Dummies and Electronic Circuits for the Evil Genius.

"It is by steam alone that I set my contraptions in motion.
It is by combustion of coal and boiling water that the engines acquire speed.
For protection, the eyes acquire goggles,
The goggles become a warning.
It is by steam alone that I set my contraptions in motion."
pir8m1k3y
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2007, 02:56:36 am »

just devoured Warren Ellis's debut novel Crooked Little Vein. - which, like most of his work, is in no way for the faint of heart.

also - keep re-reading his latest comic, Doktor Sleepless.. Cheesy
Ashflex
Snr. Officer

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2007, 01:02:24 am »

just devoured Warren Ellis's debut novel Crooked Little Vein. - which, like most of his work, is in no way for the faint of heart.

also - keep re-reading his latest comic, Doktor Sleepless.. Cheesy

Ill have to look out for that novel, I love the Transmetropolitan series, and Ive also been reading Doktor Sleepless alot, cant wait for the next issue!
Vincent Théière
Zeppelin Captain

The skull behind the skin.

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2007, 02:17:28 am »

I've been very slack in my reading lately.  But just the other night I started on an E. Nesbit collection we have.  Yes, I'm a sucker for kid's books, they're just so much more fun!
Thalesia Turnblood
Snr. Officer

One bathtub scene, coming right up!

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2007, 02:48:34 am »

Wonderful! I've asked my library to transfer in three titles they didn't have, based upon recommendations in this thread. Thank you!

Reality is messing with my fiction.
Have Coffee, Will Write
Era
Gunner

teahousekitten
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2007, 03:44:33 am »

I took a small break from reading after finishing the last Harry Potter book (yes, yes; tease if you must) but I have been contemplating picking back up a book I loved but never finished-- "The Discovery of Heaven" by Harry Mulisch. I got pretty far into it, and what I've read I'd recommend to anyone. Amazing philosophical read; I especially love the small, non-overpowering touches of humor.

Sincerely,
Era

--------------------
Lady Era Wakely
Historian. Scholar. Polymath.
mjolinr
Officer

I cant believe it's not butter

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2007, 05:21:20 am »

as a result of prolonged prednisone use,I have developed cataracts. I have surgery on the 7th to correct the problem.I love to read so its been kinda hard. what I was reading at the time was The Communist Manifesto by the father of sociology Karl Marx. Hope to pick it up again after the surgery.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 05:24:14 am by mjolinr » Logged

YIKES, and away.
NoraBray
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2007, 07:31:08 am »

Thanks to all of you who are posting.. I have made a list on my pc of these books and will at some point get them all down.. well so I hope the list gets bigger and bigger all the time!

Good luck with your surgery mjolinr!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 110   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: